Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2020 12:59 pm  #26

Re: Roster updated finally(correctly this time?)

duq81, I agree we are going to have a deep backcourt. Roles are still being defined. However, I see Acuff & Roesing as a 2 guards behind Lamar.  I believe that TDM and Belelja will be the ones relieving Sincere at the point.  TDM, (who will getting big minutes) when he is on the court he is indistinguishable as a 1 or 2. 

I am just glad to be talking Dukes basketball again.  Feel more optimistic this is going to happen.

9/10/2020 5:35 pm  #27

I didn’t want to put this on a new thread... sorry for sticking it here but since Kenya Hunter was a player n coach here, I’ll mention that his new gig is assistant at Indiana under  Miller. Nice bio. On him.

9/11/2020 7:11 am  #28

He was a little before my time, so I'm not all that familiar with him. He is putting together quite a resume though. It would have been nice if the Dukes had received more of that quality coaching, but until this coach I can see why he went elsewhere.

The thing that jumped out at me was the part about him helping recruit the best class in the A-10. I only saw the tail end of the their careers, so I don't know what kind of players they were in high school. Was a class of Devin Montgomery, Kevin Forney, Brad Midgley, and Chris Clark really the best in the A-10?

9/11/2020 9:50 am  #29

luckymcd wrote:

He was a little before my time, so I'm not all that familiar with him. He is putting together quite a resume though. It would have been nice if the Dukes had received more of that quality coaching, but until this coach I can see why he went elsewhere.

The thing that jumped out at me was the part about him helping recruit the best class in the A-10. I only saw the tail end of the their careers, so I don't know what kind of players they were in high school. Was a class of Devin Montgomery, Kevin Forney, Brad Midgley, and Chris Clark really the best in the A-10?

Oh my! ... NO! Not even close. I suspect you are joking.

9/11/2020 11:00 am  #30

From https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/kenya-hunter/3004 the bio FAM referenced: "Hunter began his Division I coaching career at Duquesne, his alma mater, where he became a fulltime assistant for two seasons (1998-2000), helping the Dukes bring in the top recruiting class in the Atlantic 10 in 1999."

As far as I can tell, that 1999 recruiting class would have been Montgomery, Forney, Midgley, and Clark.

9/12/2020 12:39 pm  #31

luckymcd wrote:

As far as I can tell, that 1999 recruiting class would have been Montgomery, Forney, Midgley, and Clark.

Those four and Jack May. But it's not an exaggeration, the Basketball News did rank that recruiting class as the best in the Atlantic 10 for 1999. Forney perhaps never lived up to expectations but did score over 1000 points in his career and graduated from Duquesne with a 10.5 PPG average. Midgley was a solid role-player for four years. Montgomery and May both had academic issues and transferred out, but did both show a lot of promise as freshmen and both resumed their D1 basketball careers, at Pepperdine and Idaho respectively, putting up decent numbers. Clark, who also had academic issues, was more or less a bust. 

Article from the Post-Gazette archives for more about the travails of the "much-ballyhooed" recruiting class of '99:

https://old.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/20010630dukes0630np5.asp

9/12/2020 2:48 pm  #32

DennisC91, thanks for finding this article and refreshing my memory.  There was certainly some talent there. But the class. except for Midgley, was lacking in intangibles and discipline. I don't think they ever finished the Jack May statue for being the undefeated heavyweight champ of the Southside bar circuit.

9/12/2020 5:14 pm  #33

The Dukes were bad then, and still hadn't reached the bottom yet. Kenya is lucky the association didn't kill his career.

9/12/2020 8:04 pm  #34

Thanks for finding that article Dennis. Having seen four of the five play I have to admit I'm shocked they were so highly regarded. Obviously off the court issues were their biggest problems. Of course they never got good coaching either. The talent level never seemed to be that high from what I saw either though.

9/12/2020 9:43 pm  #35

luckymcd wrote:

Thanks for finding that article Dennis. Having seen four of the five play I have to admit I'm shocked they were so highly regarded. Obviously off the court issues were their biggest problems. Of course they never got good coaching either. The talent level never seemed to be that high from what I saw either though.

Yeah, they were there when the kiddie corp was coaching the team. Can you remember any other school trying to win with a coaching staff that didn't have anyone over 30 on it? BC is the worst AD ever, way worse than the Q Clown. (Well, maybe not as bad as the clown at Pitt that hired Stallings ). It's a reason why I never bash DAP the way I do Edgar, and Nee. DAP was dealt a losing hand from the start. People on this board laughed when he complained about the lack of phones, but that was a clue to how little he was given to work with. Investment in the program began to rise after he left. Nee got more than DAP. Ron got quite a bit more than Nee. Ferry got quite a bit more than Ron, and KD has gotten substantially more than Ferry, not the least of which was paying enough to get him to come here. For once we paid the going rate for a good coach, instead of paying what the bottom third of the league does, and look at the results!

9/13/2020 8:20 am  #36

DennisC91 wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

Those four and Jack May. But it's not an exaggeration, the Basketball News did rank that recruiting class as the best in the Atlantic 10 for 1999. Forney perhaps never lived up to expectations but did score over 1000 points in his career and graduated from Duquesne with a 10.5 PPG average. Midgley was a solid role-player for four years. Montgomery and May both had academic issues and transferred out, but did both show a lot of promise as freshmen and both resumed their D1 basketball careers, at Pepperdine and Idaho respectively, putting up decent numbers. Clark, who also had academic issues, was more or less a bust. 

Article from the Post-Gazette archives for more about the travails of the "much-ballyhooed" recruiting class of '99:

Interesting, I had never heard of that NCAA rule that said a coach can't bring in more than eight players in a two year period?  Is this still the policy?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

9/13/2020 11:02 am  #37

Tejas_Duke wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

Interesting, I had never heard of that NCAA rule that said a coach can't bring in more than eight players in a two year period?  Is this still the policy?

Must not be, or KD would be in hot water.

9/13/2020 11:59 am  #38

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

Must not be, or KD would be in hot water.

KD has never brought in more than 8 players, at least at DU.  So don't know what you are referring to.

9/13/2020 12:29 pm  #39

CLK wrote:

KD has never brought in more than 8 players, at least at DU.  So don't know what you are referring to.

The article mentioned an NCAA rule at the time setting a maximum on scholarships awarded over two years at eight. It's not even a matter of eight scholarships on the books over two years, because the article is about Jack May transferring and Nee not being able to replace his scholarship because of the rule. I don't believe that rule is still in effect, but if it was Dambrot and predecessors would have broken it a few times. By my count, we awarded 13 scholarships between 2017 and 2018 and have awarded 12 scholarships over the last two years. 

9/13/2020 12:33 pm  #40

A rule a coach can't bring more than 8 players in 2 years must be an old rule because RE had only about 3 players left when he started.

9/13/2020 1:12 pm  #41

luckymcd wrote:

CLK wrote:

The article mentioned an NCAA rule at the time setting a maximum on scholarships awarded over two years at eight. It's not even a matter of eight scholarships on the books over two years, because the article is about Jack May transferring and Nee not being able to replace his scholarship because of the rule. I don't believe that rule is still in effect, but if it was Dambrot and predecessors would have broken it a few times. By my count, we awarded 13 scholarships between 2017 and 2018 and have awarded 12 scholarships over the last two years. 

Thanks for the clarification on the article.  If the rule was or is that you can't give more than 8 scholarships over two consecutive years KD is in good company.  With transfers at an epidemic pace I am sure there are many coaches who blown through this rule. 

9/13/2020 4:21 pm  #42

scduke wrote:

A rule a coach can't bring more than 8 players in 2 years must be an old rule because RE had only about 3 players left when he started.

I should have thought of that. That would have been the most extreme case. It looks like we brought in nine freshmen that year, and of course there were a few transfers in too. So that rule must have been taken off the books pretty quickly.

9/13/2020 4:42 pm  #43

scduke wrote:

I think it was just AJax, and Kieron as I can remember.
There are yearly limits in football, but I've never heard of one in basketball.

Board footera