Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/14/2020 8:51 am  #1

November 21st Start Date For College Basketball

The committees also agreed on Friday to reduce the maximum allowable regular-season games for this season. It's normally 31, but now it will be targeted at 28 if a team plays in an MTE, or 26 if it does not. The minimum allowable number of games for postseason consideration is targeted for 13, a number NCAA senior vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt lobbed out as a possibility Thursday on the "Courtside with Dakich and Greenberg" podcast. The stipulation for 13 games, according to one source, is all 13 games must be against Division I competition. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-oversight-committees-update-plans-to-propose-nov-21-start-date-for-2020-21-season/

9/16/2020 5:49 pm  #2

Re: November 21st Start Date For College Basketball

According to Jon Rothstein the NCAA voted to start the 2020 -2021 season on November 25th not on the 21st  as proposed  https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php/rothstein-files/source-ncaa-sets-start-college-basketball-start-date-of-november-25th/

9/16/2020 5:51 pm  #3

Division 1 Council also voted that 12 hours total (8 on the court) will begin Sept. 21, source told @stadium. Practice will start Oct. 14. Games reduced by four to 27 maximum.

9/16/2020 8:34 pm  #4

Thanks, CLK.  I hope that they can pull this off so that the Dukes and the A-10 teams can get 6 to 9 non conference games scheduled.

From CBS Sports:
"The season maximum has been reduced from 31 games to 27 -- and 27 is if a team plays in an MTE. If it does not, Gavitt told CBS Sports the cap is 24 or 25 depending on the size of the MTE. As previously reported, the minimum for NCAA Tournament eligibility is 13 games against Division I competition. There is also a recommendation that all teams, if able, play a minimum of four nonconference games. "

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-21-college-basketball-season-to-start-on-nov-25-after-ncaa-vote/

9/16/2020 9:51 pm  #5

This is pretty much best case scenario for what I thought would be an unsalvageable season for a while. If we get to play some of our non conference games, especially against Maryland, we could get some more respect.

9/17/2020 9:09 am  #6

If the NCAA plan is to schedule local regional teams will the cowards at Pitt schedule the Dukes? If Maryland falls thru schedule WVU or PSU. Hugs never refuses a challenge unlike Coach Chapell the coward. Please Coach Dambrot this year due to CV 19 you can’t schedule an. entire box of cupcakes. Go Dukes 

9/17/2020 12:37 pm  #7

Ironduke81 wrote:

If the NCAA plan is to schedule local regional teams will the cowards at Pitt schedule the Dukes? If Maryland falls thru schedule WVU or PSU. Hugs never refuses a challenge unlike Coach Chapell the coward. Please Coach Dambrot this year due to CV 19 you can’t schedule an. entire box of cupcakes. Go Dukes 

I ain't giving Huggins any credit until he schedules a game. He dropped us just like Pitt did. Neither is looking to do us any favors. Only the Nits have been willing to play us. By the way, Bobby Mo is local.

9/17/2020 2:15 pm  #8

Oh I’m sorry did not Duquesne play an exhibition game in Morgantown against WVU last year. 🤔🤔🤔 checkmate 

9/17/2020 3:15 pm  #9

Yes we played an exhibition against WVU last year, but I'm sure what duq81 is getting at is that Huggins was the coach when they ended the actual series. We had played a true home-and-home series with them for 12 years after they left the conference and before Huggins came. Huggins (or his AD) kept the series going for 6 more years, but did cancel it. We haven't played them in a game that counted since 2013, and if the series were to ever resume it is very unlikely it would be a home-and-home as it had been for decades. Since cancelling the series with us, they've only played eight away non-conference games (four against ACC teams, 3 against SEC teams, and strangely enough one at Northern Kentucky).

9/17/2020 5:13 pm  #10

Ironduke81 wrote:

Oh I’m sorry did not Duquesne play an exhibition game in Morgantown against WVU last year. 🤔🤔🤔 checkmate 

Exhibition game? Whoopty damn do! How about playing up here sometimes in a game that counts.

9/17/2020 5:17 pm  #11

luckymcd wrote:

Yes we played an exhibition against WVU last year, but I'm sure what duq81 is getting at is that Huggins was the coach when they ended the actual series. We had played a true home-and-home series with them for 12 years after they left the conference and before Huggins came. Huggins (or his AD) kept the series going for 6 more years, but did cancel it. We haven't played them in a game that counted since 2013, and if the series were to ever resume it is very unlikely it would be a home-and-home as it had been for decades. Since cancelling the series with us, they've only played eight away non-conference games (four against ACC teams, 3 against SEC teams, and strangely enough one at Northern Kentucky).

Exactly!!! What Capel did is gutless, but let's not act like Huggins is any less risk averse. The P5 schools don't want to play on the road, and try to avoid teams from the second tier conferences like the plague.

9/18/2020 8:22 am  #12

duq81 wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

Exactly!!! What Capel did is gutless, but let's not act like Huggins is any less risk averse. The P5 schools don't want to play on the road, and try to avoid teams from the second tier conferences like the plague.

Gee maybe Ron’s firing had something to do with that.🤔🤔🤔 Pitt however has on two occasions assured Duquesne the series will continue. Probably will return once this talented senior class is gone. 

9/18/2020 8:24 am  #13

Ironduke81 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

Gee maybe Ron’s firing had something to do with that.🤔🤔🤔 Pitt however has on two occasions assured Duquesne the series will continue. Probably will return once this talented senior class is gone. 

This is ofcourse Is another line of BS by Chapel the coward.

9/18/2020 9:44 am  #14

I think the firing of Ron had a lot to do with WVU discontinuing the series, however, CBB has changed dramatically with the increased league play.  I am not sure these old guaranteed annual rivalry games would have continued with the poor teams we fielded since 2013.  The last two years things have changed with the recent success, however, DU still needs to continue win more and get into the NCAA before they are considered by power schools for scheduling.   

I have to think that DU and other small schools are scrambling to put together a final (if there is such a thing) schedule.

9/18/2020 12:35 pm  #15

CLK wrote:

I think the firing of Ron had a lot to do with WVU discontinuing the series, however, CBB has changed dramatically with the increased league play.  I am not sure these old guaranteed annual rivalry games would have continued with the poor teams we fielded since 2013.  The last two years things have changed with the recent success, however, DU still needs to continue win more and get into the NCAA before they are considered by power schools for scheduling.   

I have to think that DU and other small schools are scrambling to put together a final (if there is such a thing) schedule.

Why not play Bobby Mo, or St. Francis if games are so hard to find?

9/18/2020 5:30 pm  #16

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I think the firing of Ron had a lot to do wth WVU discontinuing the series, however, CBB has changed dramatically with the increased league play.  I am not sure these old guaranteed annual rivalry games would have continued with the poor teams we fielded since 2013.  The last two years things have changed with the recent success, however, DU still needs to continue win more and get into the NCAA before they are considered by power schools for scheduling.   

Why not play Bobby Mo, or St. Francis if games are so hard to find?

I am sure KD is trying to put together the best non conference schedule he can. This year the Dukes have their best team and their best chance in many years to get into the NCAA, and to do this they need quality wins. Right now I think his top priority is getting into one of the bubble tournaments which would give the Dukes the opportunity to play more games than scheduling single games. Here is an example of one of the bubbles trying to form.

https://twitter.com/CoachChrisMack/status/1306974152017014786

Like I said there are a lot of teams scrambling to get in the best position. We will have to wait and see how this all shakes ou.

9/22/2020 7:45 am  #17

A lot of regional pod talk with companies creating Playing sites with a  bubble type environment.The fact remains Bobby Mo & St. Francis will not cut it. This year Dukes a senior roster team MUST play in a tournament with power 5 teams. If they go 0-4 then theY  must win the A10 tournament. If the like Dayton did last year  reaching the championship round against Kansas then Chances for an at large bid come March improves. VCU, DAVIDSON, DAYTON  & Richmond all in Big 5 tournaments. Mi-Majors face a big disadvantage this year thanks to Covid &?. Please no powder puff teams this year. If the Dukes get beaten then they don’t deserve an invite to The Big Dance.I think Coach Dambrots job is safe. Schedule Up or say hello to the NIT.

9/24/2020 7:51 am  #18

St Louis v Missouri Richmond v Virginia George Mason v Maryland Duquesne v ? Thanks Pitt

9/24/2020 5:03 pm  #19

https://bracketeer.org/inside-college-hoops/2020/9/17/2020-21-scheduling-what-do-we-know-so-far

Quoting article:

“Duquesne: The Dukes have had some misfortune lately with scheduling. Originally part of the Maryland showcase, which featured a great opportunity to face the Terps, is likely scrapped. The MWC-A10 challenge game against Wyoming is also gone. Consider Duquesne a free agent when it comes to finding new games to play, either in a bubble, or against regionally-convenitent schools.“

Board footera