Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2020 7:49 am  #1

Sihugo Green

I missed this the other day, but it was 40 years ago Sunday 10/4 that one of Duquesne’s greats passed away. I was in school then and I wish I had known about his accomplishments—as well as those of Cooper, Tucker, Ricketts, Johnson and Dudey Moore.

Last edited by JPG-DU81 (10/06/2020 7:49 am)

10/06/2020 2:16 pm  #2

Re: Sihugo Green

I'll always consider him the greatest Duke ever.

10/06/2020 3:38 pm  #3

Fletcher Johnson probably the most successful Duquesne athlete in regard to both sports & his career. Quite frankly he had achieved more then Jackie Robinson but his story remains under the radar. Johnson played with Coach Dambrots father. At the time the top four scorers were African Americans on that great team. Unfortunately, because of the pressures facing the Spiritan priest limiting starters to two African American players unfortunately was because of the racist/social pressures via the times. Duquesne was the first NCAA men’s basketball teams to have the 4 top African American players. Fletcher Johnson was part of the first wave of African Americans to play in Europe. While playing in Italy he was a rock star who was promised entry into medical school. Obviously, his major & QPA was outstanding.unfortunately a neighbor from NJ who was enrolled in the Italian medical school despised him & tanked his entry because of pure jealousy & hatred. Johnson enrolls in Pharmacy school learns to speak Italian & gets his Degree. After going to the another basketball club in Belgium he gets accepted into Medical school learns to speak French & graduates becoming a MD. Upon returning to NJ/NY he gets his Fellowship & becomes a Thoracic Surgeon. Oh yeah Dr. Martin Luther King requested his cooperation during the Civil Rights movement. Although Johnson had disagreed with Dr. King on some points due to his conservative beliefs this guy lived the American dream.Image Johnson could not drink out of water fountains, restaurants, hotels etc. because of his race. Could I learn two different languages in order to receive degrees in Pharmacy & Medical school. Oh yeah while serving for his fellowship in N J the hospital staff thought he worked as a food server or janitor because of his color. Please nothing wrong with food service or maintenance employees. I respect Chuck Cooper but I can’t believe Duquesne University never emphasized Dr. Fletcher Johnson’s career as a student athlete & physician pre Civil Rights movement. Yes the new Duquesne Medical School must & will pursue a corporate sponsor but at least should recognize his lifetime accomplishments as a Duquesne graduate. 

10/06/2020 5:27 pm  #4

Myron Cope had Fletcher Johnson on as a guest on his talk show many years ago. He talked about the flack Dudey Moore got for having so many black players, and that when Tommy Heinson was killing them in the 1954 NIT Final, he was the one who could handle Tommy, but Moore couldn't put him in the game without taking Tucker, or Ricketts out, as 4 black players at once was just more than anyone could bear. This was actually a much better team than the one that won the NIT a year later, and I believe all of this played a role in the decision to basically put the reigns on the program. After the point shaving scandal basically killed all of the NYC powerhouses except St. John's, Duquesne was in a position to basically walk into New York, and pull out a 5 star player every year. We turned our back on this. During Sihugo Green's 3 year career, the Dukes played in Madison Sq. Garden 18 times. It was almost like a second home court to us. While we had some very good seasons under Red Manning, we were never again the blue blood level program we were under Chick Davies, and Dudey Moore. Myron Cope did a very nice article in Sports Illustrated during the early 60s, that demonstrated the restrictions than Manning had to work under. https://vault.si.com/vault/42732#&gid=ci0258c02a4005278a&pid=42732---020---image

10/06/2020 7:36 pm  #5

Good comments  Duq81 but my point for drafting this thread was Fletcher Johnson’s post graduate degrees in the face of many obstacles. Again learn two languages & receive both a Pharmacy & Medical Degree is in my opinion is unbelievable. This man faced obstacles because of his race & rose to great heights.

Board footera