Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/07/2020 9:13 am  #1

LOUISVILLE MTE

Confirmed now:

Louisville
Duquesne
UNC Greensboro
Winthrop

Dunno what this means for the rest of our schedule but this is a good set of teams. 

10/07/2020 11:53 am  #2

Re: LOUISVILLE MTE

This is great news!

Louisville is obviously a national powerhouse, so we were able to replace (and in fact even upgrade) the power five game we lost against Maryland. They are a very talented team and Mack is a great coach who has had our number (any of the occasional success we had against Xavier wasn't under him). We'll be facing a very young team though. Their four leading scorers, three of their four leading rebounders, five of their six leading assist men, and five of their six leaders in steals either graduated or went pro. We'll get our chance against a very young team that will probably look great by season's end (i.e. tournament selection time).

Winthrop might not get too many people's blood pumping, but they have qualified for the tournament 11 times in the last 22 seasons including last year's team which won the Big South regular season and tournament. They bring back most of their team, so they'll probably be favored to win the conference again. They did graduate their leading scorer and rebounder though.

UNC Greensboro has only made the tournament once in the last 19 seasons, but has won 104 games over the last four seasons, and figures to compete for a tourney bid this year.

Plus there should be more teams to come. Louisville was hoping to bring in 8-12 teams. Usually you lead with the highlights when announcing this kind of thing, but I expect Louisville to be able to bring in some big names. Hopefully they are still securing contracts and are able to bring in at least one other power conference opponent, and maybe some more high profile mid-majors.

Last edited by luckymcd (10/07/2020 11:55 am)

10/07/2020 12:55 pm  #3

10/07/2020 2:59 pm  #4

CLK did you not suggest this Tourney at the chicken arena months ago? Others suggested  St Francis & Bobby Mo but this is a solid choice. Are you the new schedule Directors for the Dukes😂

10/07/2020 5:02 pm  #5

Love the 'upper deck' seat configuration shown in the foto of the COOP.   Fans sitting there appear to be close to the floor and if full, should look intimidating to the the visiting players on the floor.

10/08/2020 8:54 am  #6

According to the Louisville basketball beat writer: "another commitment to the Louisville basketball bubble has arrived in Arkansas Little Rock. The Trojans went 21-10 (15-5 Sun Belt) last season and won the regular-season conference title. That makes four teams with contracts in: Duquesne, UNCG, Winthrop and Arkansas LR."

I think this is shaping up to be a nice MTE. At this point, assuming all the other teams sign their contracts I don't know why DU wouldn't also sign, unless they have a better offer guaranteed and all locked up.

10/09/2020 6:42 am  #7

Might be a stupid question but why has there been no thought to host one in Pittsburgh. I guess Capel might want to avoid the local teams would be one reason. But if they made one with Duquesne, Pitt, Rmu, Sfu, psu, wvu, and Marshall that would peak some interest. But once again it’s all about not losing to a team that should have no shot to beat you I guess

10/09/2020 8:17 am  #8

Dukes412 wrote:

Might be a stupid question but why has there been no thought to host one in Pittsburgh. I guess Capel might want to avoid the local teams would be one reason. But if they made one with Duquesne, Pitt, Rmu, Sfu, psu, wvu, and Marshall that would peak some interest. But once again it’s all about not losing to a team that should have no shot to beat you I guess

Well Capel The Coward just cancelled the backyard brawl game scheduled at WVU. Covid concerns my arse.1 hour bus ride . My favorite BB team this year is Whoever is playing Pitt.

10/09/2020 11:39 am  #9

Dukes sign the contract for Louisville MTE.  No other non conference games scheduled yet for DU per KD.  See TRIB Article link below.  While there are 5 teams committed now in the Louisville MTE, Louiville is still trying to expand the bubble to 8 to 12 teams per the Louisville local beat writer. 

https://triblive.com/sports/duquesne-plans-thanksgiving-trip-to-louisville-bubble-for-five-game-basketball-event/

10/12/2020 12:13 pm  #10

https://twitter.com/slrussell/status/1315689478602792964

From Shannon Russell of the Courier Journal:
Louisville's non-conference basketball bubble is expected to include Western Kentucky, Southern Illinois and Prairie View A&M. Those teams will join Arkansas Little Rock, Duquesne, UNC Greensboro, Winthrop & the Cardinals.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (10/12/2020 12:15 pm)

10/12/2020 12:44 pm  #11

Which teams are playing in Louisville's basketball bubble?
Shannon Russell
Louisville Courier Journal
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2020/10/07/these-teams-committed-to-play-louisville-basketballs-nonconference-bubble/5909695002/

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (10/12/2020 12:45 pm)

10/29/2020 6:04 pm  #12

According to Jon Rothstein, "Seton Hall is expected to join Louisville's MTE at the KFC Yum Center. Pirates would match up with the Cardinals in one of the games"

Hopefully DU will get a shot at one or both of these teams..

10/29/2020 6:08 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

According to Jon Rothstein, "Seton Hall is expected to join Louisville's MTE at the KFC Yum Center. Pirates would match up with the Cardinals in one of the games"

Hopefully DU will get a shot at one or both of these teams..

Hope this is true.

10/29/2020 7:12 pm  #14

I read that Seton Hall is only playing 2 games in the bubble and Louisville is one game.

10/30/2020 10:38 am  #15

From what I see neither Louisville or Seton Hall will be playing us.

10/30/2020 2:24 pm  #16

That would make it a rather lackluster event for Duquesne.  Not much to win; but more to lose.  I saw today that Winthrop got the other game with Seton Hall.  It's tough being Duquesne in scheduling.  The name doesn't carry any clout after years of losing, but other coaches from established programs don't want to play the Dukes because they see that the team should be strong, and they don't want to risk losing.  Its hard to establish credibility with the "influencers" of the game when nobody wants to play you for fear of losing to a team without a National name.  What comes first?

10/31/2020 5:52 pm  #17

All these teams are pretty good at Louisville tourament so lets win them all.Dukes have a very narrow path to follow.They cant afford to lose any games,must win A10 to get a NCAA bid.

11/01/2020 9:40 pm  #18

11/03/2020 9:48 am  #19

so is Nov 25th the earliest we play?   Is there any chance for game(s) before that Louisville thing?

11/03/2020 10:23 am  #20

townsonkid wrote:

so is Nov 25th the earliest we play?   Is there any chance for game(s) before that Louisville thing?

November 25th is the earliest anyone plays.

Also BigRedLouie says Louisville is playing Seton Hall and Blogging the Bracket says Louisville is playing Western Kentucky. If everyone is playing two games like Seton Hall is (I am not sure about this detail), I guess we're not getting a game with Louisville.

11/03/2020 11:27 am  #21

Louisville will play Southern Illinois, Seton Hall, Prairie View A&M, Western Kentucky and UNC Greensboro in its multi-team event. The Cardinals start with Southern Illinois on Nov. 25 and play Seton Hall Nov. 27.
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2020/10/29/seton-hall-becomes-ninth-hoops-team-louisville-basketball-bubble/6078304002/

11/03/2020 11:44 am  #22

DUQ twitter says Dukes vs UNCG, Winthrop, and Ark Little Rock
11/29, 12/1 and 12/3

Last edited by townsonkid (11/03/2020 12:15 pm)

11/03/2020 1:56 pm  #23

11/03/2020 2:34 pm  #24

According to this article:  "There is a chance one or two more games could be added to the team's schedule before they make the trip to Louisville."  

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/11/03/duquesne-basketball-unc-greensboro-little-rock-winthrop-lousiville-bubble-wade-houston-tipoff-classic-ncaa-atlantic-10-keith-dambrot-acc-seton-hall-news-schedule-dkps-nah

11/03/2020 9:21 pm  #25

Short video of Coach saying he's looking forward to the challenge.

https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/1323677586619334656

Board footera