Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2020 10:16 am  #1

Wednesday's Game at Saint Louis

Looks like the Dukes game vs. Saint Louis is happening as of this morning.  7pm Eastern tip on ESPN+.
https://goduquesne.com/news/2020/12/28/preview-duqmbb-at-saint-louis.aspx

12/28/2020 10:40 am  #2

Re: Wednesday's Game at Saint Louis

Duquesne will probably struggle through most of regular season but could be ready to roll at A 10 tournament
time.Its so dissappointing to have pointed for years to this season and COVID has messed it up.

12/28/2020 11:55 am  #3

stew wrote:

Duquesne will probably struggle through most of regular season but could be ready to roll at A 10 tournament
time.Its so dissappointing to have pointed for years to this season and COVID has messed it up. 

I don't know about most of the season. I could see them struggling for a few weeks since the team basically needs to do a second training camp. We certainly aren't the only team facing these difficulties though. It's a new and different challenge to the coaching staff, and a giant one at that, but we finally have a coaching staff that is competent and I think they'll be alright after a few weeks. Having Fordham and St. Joe's back to back near the end of January should be a big help. Then right after we have what appears to be the Coop opener against Dayton on national TV (I thought it had been listed as ESPN, but now it's ESPNU). We need to be playing our best ball by then.

12/28/2020 11:56 am  #4

Having said that, it would be a pretty big upset if we beat St. Louis on Wednesday, even though we swept them last year.

12/28/2020 12:02 pm  #5

Duquesne still plays basketball? You wouldn't know it this season. Feel really bad for the seniors on this team, as well as the fans.

12/28/2020 2:06 pm  #6

DuqLaw wrote:

Duquesne still plays basketball? You wouldn't know it this season. Feel really bad for the seniors on this team, as well as the fans.

Duquesne and about 50 other programs. The Dukes aren't alone.

12/28/2020 2:32 pm  #7

I don't count the Dukes out.  I believe we can get back quickly, in fact I believe we match up well and we can beat SLU.  We have 4 grad students including the Pitt transfer.  They know what to do, they have the talent. it is all going to be about conditioning, desire and who is available.  Hopefully one of our "friends" in the media can bring us up to date on the Dukes and who is cleared to play.  

12/28/2020 2:36 pm  #8

Highly improbable the Dukes will be competitive with St. Louis, particularly since the Billikens are 7 wins and only 1 loss, and do doubt a lot of practice at their arena-- and we've had only 2 games, played last on Dec. 3 and have only begun to practice again on Dec 26th.    The shooting touch rarely comes on without a struggle and lots of repetition.  Seems like the Dukes are 'snake-bit' again...  The 'teams to beat" -- ie Richmond, St. Louis, Davidson, Dayton and VCU - unfortunately for us,  found a way to play and get their repetition in.  In any case, we can hope for the best....

Last edited by gjgsr (12/28/2020 2:53 pm)

12/28/2020 4:04 pm  #9

It’s going to be a while before the coach can decide who is playing when - where - how.  This may be the time as some have said is to use these games to learn and focus on the upcoming A-10 tournament...if it even happens. 

12/28/2020 6:41 pm  #10

DuqLaw wrote:

That's the other unknown I'm very curious about. Has there been any indication which seniors might take advantage of the exemption to come back next year? Obviously nothing is official, but true insiders probably are beginning to get some indication of at least which way certain guys are leaning.

12/29/2020 9:21 am  #11

12/29/2020 9:44 am  #12

I make no excuses, and think they can win Wednesday.   They should have fresh legs.   And I have not seen any reports of any of the players having major symptoms or lingering effects from covid.   Hopefully thats the case, and they all had cardiac check-ups.   We dont need to see another player collapse on court.    It will be tough, but they should be in this game til the end.

12/29/2020 1:22 pm  #13

Not to discount what you are saying, but the article in the Tribune yesterday...Coach alluded lingering effects he has seen in the players but as you said, wouldn't make any excuses.

12/29/2020 1:30 pm  #14

effects from the virus or being off for 3 weeks?    We can only hope they are getting medical supervision daily.   

12/29/2020 6:13 pm  #15

Thanks for the video CLK, feels so great to actually have Duquesne basketball tomorrow... and then have a 23 minute video preceding it!

Board footera