Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/02/2021 11:27 pm  #1

Game Thread - George Washington Colonials (A2)

2:00pm EST tip on Sunday 01/03/2021 at the Smith Center, Washington, DC
Per KenPom:
Dukes #82 (2-1; 1-0) vs George Washington Colonials #210 (2-7; 1-1)
First Meeting at Smith Center: Dukes 75-63 - Recap: https://goduquesne.com/news/2021/1/2/mens-basketball-dukes-open-a-10-play-with-win-at-george-washington.aspx
Game prediction: Dukes win by 8, 76-68 - Dukes with 76% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 7 point favorites; Over/Under 142½
Duquesne 2-1 Against the Spread; George Washington 3-6 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): UNC Greensboro (118); George Washington (210)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Little Rock (137)
George Washington Best Win(s): Fordham (255); Coppin St. (335)
George Washington Worst Loss(es): Hampton (330); William & Mary (292); Delaware (254)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at George Washington for the season (national ranking out of 357 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (87)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (18)
Defensive Weakness:  Turnover % (276)

Here's a look at George Washington in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Turnover % (4); FT Rate (4)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (1)  
Defensive Weakness:  Turnover % (13)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 357 teams):
Offensive Strength:  FT Rate (51); Offensive Rebound % (54)
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (51)
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (276)

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Turnover % (1); Offensive Rebound % (1); Effective FG % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (11)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (3)
Defensive Weakness:  Turnover % (12)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
George Washington Adj Offense Efficiency - 100.9, #171 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 97.0, #93 in D-1
George Washington Adj Defense Efficiency - 105.8, #285 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 106.8, #73 in D-1
George Washington Adj Tempo - 70.3, #164 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 68.9, #243 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - George Washington 1.43 yrs, #262 in D-1; Dukes 2.02 yrs, #79 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - George Washington 43.0%, #191 in D-1; Dukes 74.8%, #12 in D-1
Average Height - George Washington 78.1", #33 in D-1; Dukes 75.8", #309 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 108th in the country.
George Washington is 282nd in the country.
Automated Game Preview: http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=113&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/03/2021 9:32 am)

1/03/2021 6:08 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - George Washington Colonials (A2)

Looking at the second games of back-to-backs around the leagues, the losing teams of the first games seem to come back strong in the second game. As an example, RMU won big last weekend, then lost the next night. Good coaching makes adjustments. That said, I expect GW to give the Dukes a much better game today, but we should win. Thinking there will be much better games from Sincere and Lamar today. Go Dukes!

1/03/2021 11:02 am  #3

Let's assume that we all believe it is difficult to beat a team 2 times in a row, especially when the first game was competitive and the second game is the next day.  With that challenge, it will be interesting to see how the players handle this second game.  This is an excellent test this early in the year.  I think our depth will be the difference in many games this year.  Our depth consists of "good" players, not just numbers.
Go Dukes!
Also, good luck to the Lady Dukes.

1/03/2021 11:38 am  #4

I wasn’t able to watch live yesterday but caught the replay and was pretty happy. One thing that I think will make it tough for GW to bounce back is the fact that Keith rotated so many guys.

No opportunity to “figure us out” in the first one. Keith could go with a completely different roster management/rotation today that would give GW a different set of challenges, I think that’s why we saw so many guys play yesterday. The depth allows us to do that and should help to keep giving GW different looks.

Another key as mentioned is that we won handily without anywhere near Carry, Norman, Austin, and even really Hughes’ best performances. Expect that to change and really encouraging to see what we got from Okani, Kelly, and Rotroff. TDM is TDM and Murphy looks like he can be a solid contributor as well. Not even mentioning Harris and Acuff who could come along as well. This team is seriously DEEP.

Depth breeds fresh legs. We played 12, they played 9. We had 5 score in double digits (without Carry and Norman), they basically have 3 guys that make up their whole offense. We can scheme for that better today.

If we want to reach the heights we do we should expect to beat GW again today, and I expect that.

Go Dukes!

1/03/2021 12:26 pm  #5

GW’s lack of depth screams  ZONE. Problem is if our 2 @3 guards can’t hit the side of a barn. Love TDM when he is on. If not Murphy could save the day. Big challenge today. Second point, NBC game analyst yesterday was very good and informative.  Go Dukes

1/03/2021 12:50 pm  #6

Ironduke81 wrote:

GW’s lack of depth screams  ZONE. Problem is if our 2 @3 guards can’t hit the side of a barn. Love TDM when he is on. If not Murphy could save the day. Big challenge today. Second point, NBC game analyst yesterday was very good and informative.  Go Dukes

Ironduke81, totally agree on the color commentator yesterday.  That was Ronny Thompson, who is the son of John Thompson.  He also was a head coach for a year at Ball State and a college assistant coach for nearly 15 years.  He certainly knows that game and made some great observations yesterday.

1/03/2021 12:52 pm  #7

Agree! That analyst was excellent. I cannot recall his name but he was insightful
and made some really interesting points. He let the game breathe and you could
tell he had done his homework on both teams.

1/03/2021 2:47 pm  #8

Nothing to write home about. kelly probably lost his chance as emergency point guard.

1/03/2021 2:57 pm  #9

Just sloppy, sloppy, sloppy play. Too many mental mistakes, plus about 6 turnovers from bad decisions in the paint!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/03/2021 4:02 pm  #10

Shot fouls like they were in grade school

1/03/2021 4:04 pm  #11

That hurts.

1/03/2021 4:07 pm  #12

Jameson Battle being in the zone, terrible free throw shooting and a really bad end game turnover by a veteran point guard cost us a game we couldn't afford to lose.

1/03/2021 4:13 pm  #13

Wow, just wow!  The one thing you don't want to do in that situation with two guys trying to foul you, when you are in the double bonus, is move your feet!
Couple that with shooting about 33% from the free throw line and over 20 turnovers!
Losing to a team in the 200s.
Season over!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/03/2021 4:13 pm  #14

Straight garbage.

1/03/2021 4:18 pm  #15

This season has been so screwed up that I feel like any win is a bonus at this point. The health of our players and coaches is more important. My expectations for any sort of post-season went out the window long ago. Just the same, they should have never lost this game today. We're supposed to have the better and deeper team against a team that just had two key players quit and is supposed to be in disarray.  Lazy, complacent play in the first half, too many missed FTs in the second half. Still not sure why it was so necessary to play this game today as opposed to next month, but it counts and it's a bad loss. 

1/03/2021 4:39 pm  #16

Sincere is not getting off to a very good start, and that's not just based on the ridiculous travel turnover he committed at the most crucial point in the game.

1/03/2021 4:41 pm  #17

S.R.M. wrote:

Jameson Battle being in the zone, terrible free throw shooting and a really bad end game turnover by a veteran point guard cost us a game we couldn't afford to lose.

That turnover by Sincere was as much on Dambrot as on Sincere. I have never been impressed by Dambrot's game day coaching.  I'll leave it at that, but I am interested to see if the next GW opponent presses them at some point in the game. 

But still, the end result was we lost by two due to poor FT shooting (we missed 13 FTs) and we gave them a point due to a mental error by our coaches (don't think I ever saw that call before).  This one hurt.

1/03/2021 4:49 pm  #18

No excuse for this embarrassing loss to probably a 5-6 win team.  These guys just can’t focus and play hard   They play half-assed most of the game then try to turn it on and pull out a win.  Face it; they aren’t that good! 
They don’t play like a veteran team; or they just don’t care.  Failure to recruit a D-1point guard will cost them many games.  Carry is seemingly getting worse; and plays like he’d rather be elsewhere.  Veteran pint guards don’t travel when guys are giving a foul. 
Good luck against Davidson; probably a 15-point loss.

1/03/2021 4:56 pm  #19

Its a difficult loss.This is going to be a difficult season as Dukes try to shake off rust from a month
of little practice.Missed free throws,lots of turnovers is a consequence of little game and practice time.

1/03/2021 5:04 pm  #20

This one hurt. Have to win the conference tournament now. only thing that matter the rest of the season is improving together for that week.

1/03/2021 5:06 pm  #21

Duquesne’s failure to submit a correct roster to the official scorekeeper cost the Dukes  a technical foul. I haven’t seen such a thing since Catholic grade school basketball. What a joke really this is NCAA D1 basketball. No excuse Coach you are the Captain of this ship. Second point 2nd half press press press. Speed up the game GW limited roster. The curse of Dudey More continues just like the goat that haunted the Chicago Cubs. Finally, Mike Hughes is the most discriminated player in the NCAA by referees. Universally hated by A10 coaches & refs. I personally love this kid.

1/03/2021 5:08 pm  #22

Super-unnecessary loss. The more mentally strong team won. 

-Sin was lightly slapped & lightly pushed at least 5 times before the travel was called. Refs love to make that travel call in that situation because it amplifies their role in the game. Sin should have been on the line for 2 shots with a 1 point lead.  MORE IMPORTANTLY, call a freakin timeout!

-The program now has better than average talent, veteran players, legit size, & excellent depth for the A-10. When will the super-experienced, gritty, high basketball IQ play begin? I knew, because of Bishop & Battle, that a nail-biter was not going DU's way. This team has leaders but lacks guys that can control the game mentally.

-Marcus is a feared force in the A-10 & should be. If he can shoot even 70% from the line, he is a first-teamer. Today's FT shooting has to be a 1-time aberration for his senior season. 

-It was great to Maceo get groovin. I have also enjoyed watching him fire up the bench/celebrate his teammates going into breaks.

-Baker showed some signs.

-Rotroff plays under control & smart. He really understands the defensive scheme but is a tad bit too slow to do what he is being asked to do on the high ball screens. I don't like that the scheme isn't adjusted to account for this. Every team will automatically have whichever big Austin is guarding screen for the opponent's best ballhandling playmaker

-The season is NOT over. Very good things can still be accomplished.

-I really wanted to see some intermittent pressing in the second half to work on GW's legs. With 10 minutes left Moyer, Ball, & Bishop looked like they would break from fatigue. 

-This is truly a discussion question I would like to hear some answers to. Did anyone feel like the substitutions involving Sin, Okani, Baker, & Maceo were odd?

-How many more games like this will there be before somebody other than Lamar gets a shot at the starting 2-guard job?

-Kelly is going to be a strong contributor for 2+ seasons. given his journey, some ups & downs are to be expected.

1/03/2021 5:29 pm  #23

levon1975 wrote:

No excuse for this embarrassing loss to probably a 5-6 win team. These guys just can’t focus and play hard They play half-assed most of the game then try to turn it on and pull out a win. Face it; they aren’t that good!
They don’t play like a veteran team; or they just don’t care. Failure to recruit a D-1point guard will cost them many games. Carry is seemingly getting worse; and plays like he’d rather be elsewhere. Veteran pint guards don’t travel when guys are giving a foul.
Good luck against Davidson; probably a 15-point loss.

I feel your pain & find your venting warranted. I can't imagine there is a dedicated Dukes fan that doesn't think Carry made a boneheaded play on that late inbound.

Sin is far from perfect but, your analysis of his value is way off. There are literally hundreds of D-1 schools in general & at least half a dozen A-10 teams, in particular, that would love to have him as their starting point guard. Even today, about 27 of his 30 minutes were quite good.  I suspect that if he would have played 35 minutes, the outcome may have been different. 

Now, if you wrote that KD failed to recruit more than 1 quality D-1 point guard in 3 years, I would be 100% with you.

Here's hoping that 2 seasons as a backup positions Acuff to be at least an above-average A-10 PG as a junior & that the crown jewel of this year's recruiting class is a high-level floor general with deep range. 

1/03/2021 5:56 pm  #24

1/03/2021 5:56 pm  #25

Carry spent the whole game chasing Bishop around and for the most part, kept him in check, until the game-winning 3 of course. Between that, the back-to-back games and the reality that this team just isn't in game shape yet, maybe his offensive play just wasn't where we'd want it to be. Meanwhile, while we were so worried about Bishop, Battle was killing us. But a team that's ready to take that next step finds a way to win games like this. The players change, the coaches change, we still can't make our FTs. 

Board footera