Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2021 1:43 pm  #1

1/10/2021 2:30 pm  #2

Re: Carry Will Transfer

Wish Sincere the best wherever he lands. Really a shame things didn't work out for him. Enjoyed watching him play for the past 2 years plus. I do believe that whatever was on his mind was definitely affecting his play this year. Always played a favorable floor game but never showed a marked improvement in his perimeter shooting. Maybe the change in scenery will be of help to him. Time to move on. Plenty of season left.

1/10/2021 3:23 pm  #3

Sad that he will not stay a Duke for his whole career for sure. I remember most here believed Brandon Wade was guaranteed to be starting PG and Sin came out of nowhere and lit the Duquesne fanbase on fire. In just the second game of his college career, freshman Carry was given the ball down two to UIC on the final possession, and coach already believed the game should be in his hands then. He ran the clock down to 7 and had a great drive to the hoop with a perfect lay in at the buzzer, tying the game to go to overtime. The Dukes ended up winning. That is probably my favorite Sincere Carry moment. The promise and excitement he brought us his freshman year never materialized, as his stats last year were arguably worse than his debut season. 

1/10/2021 3:55 pm  #4

This is a good thing - less drama - sometimes addition by subtraction...
Go Dukes!

1/10/2021 5:10 pm  #5

Agreed 100% Fam. It will be interesting to see what happens with Maceo.  It sounds like there may be deeper personal/family things going on, but who knows.  KD has always said that Maceo is such a good kid, team player and only wants to win - not a guy out for individual glory.  It was either the second GW game or the first half of the Davidson game that Maceo looked really good and I thought now this is what we saw in his first 10 games last year.  With his sabbattical I really have no clue what is going to happen but we need to keep in mind these are challenging times that are effecting people differently and Maceo has had some tough family things to begin with.  Based on what KD said to his knowledge he is coming back and that would be fine as I think he still has much more upside.  I guess we'll find out and I hope sooner rather than later.  Either way I think all of these transfers will make the Spring signing period that much more interesting and let's not forget the transfer street is two way........Pistol out

1/10/2021 5:26 pm  #6

He was no good to the team this season and obviously was on “shutdown mode” like our previous “Star” Eric Williams.  I just don’t know why he wouldn’t have transferred after last season and given the coaches an opportunity to find another point guard.  We’ll never know all of the details; so no reason to speculate. 

On the surface there are some parallels between this case and the Eric Wilkins transfer.  Bothe guys were lightly recruited out of HS; and probably headed to a D-2 school.  Duquesne gave them a D-1 opportunity and both guys had huge freshman seasons.  Carry came to Duquesne with chronic knee problems and in need of surgery.  Duquesne obviously took care of the surgery for him; and he seems to have been able to play without knee issues since the surgery. So, like Williams he was probably contacted by other coaches after his freshman year; and if not for the surgery may have skipped town after year one; but wtf, let Duquesne foot the Bill.  He was pretty inconsistent last year; some good games; some bad; and some flat out no-shows.  So why continue to be unhappy and come back again this season; and screw your teammates, coaches and fans?  I guess we’ll never know his reasoning; is it all about instant gratification?   
Trying to build a team at this level looks even more challenging than ever.  If you find a diamond -in- the rough you can be sure he’ll be getting calls from other coaches offering a better deal!

1/10/2021 7:12 pm  #7

First, I wish Sincere the best and hope he lands in a good spot.  It didn't hurt Eric Williams.  He is a solid performer at Oregon.  But, what I don't understand is why encourage your brother to sign with Duquesne - especially since it has been reported that he wasn't happy at Duquesne "for a while".  If MB was signed as a way to placate Sincere, that doesn't make sense.  If you really don't like it somewhere, why ask your brother to join you?   I suspect that KD was putting pressure on him to perform, and with Okani, Murphy, and Acuff possibly reducing his playing time, he went looking for someplace with more certainty.  As for MB and where this leaves him - he also was a point guard.  His video highlights showed some good passing skills.  I noticed that when he got in the last game, he changed the trajectory on a couple passes which led to turnovers.  In KD's postgame comments, he acknowledged that he played well for the limited time he was on the floor.  So, despite his lack of division 1 offers, maybe he emerges as a legit A10 player?  One could only hope..

1/10/2021 7:38 pm  #8

Sorry but there is a big part of me that is sick of "wishing guys the best" when they abandon their teammates, a fan base who was counting on them and supported them, not to mention a coach here, who was the only coach in the nation to give Carry a chance!

For years we were a doormat program. Now we're a foot stool program, where guys use us to go somewhere else!

Thought this was the year when all that changed, but nope, here we are again.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/10/2021 7:46 pm  #9

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Sorry but there is a big part of me that is sick of "wishing guys the best" when they abandon their teammates, a fan base who was counting on them and supported them, not to mention a coach here, who was the only coach in the nation to give Carry a chance!

For years we were a doormat program. Now we're a foot stool program, where guys use us to go somewhere else!

Thought this was the year when all that changed, but nope, here we are again.

Totally agree with you on this subject !! Not wishing them bad luck but not wishing you to prosper when we were the only ones to give you a chance !!

1/10/2021 7:52 pm  #10

Very unhappy .To leave in mid season? Duquesne offers him a scholarship when he was receiving no
offers from D1 schools?Without Duquesne he is languishing at West Liberty and no one is paying attention.
 Its really difficult to build a program when players with his potential leave.Very difficult to understand without
knowing why he left but the timing of this opting out speaks to a lack of character.Go f---k yourself loser.

1/10/2021 8:35 pm  #11

Its almost impossible for Duquesne to be successful when you got very talented players transferring out.I 
say thank you to the Dukes who want to play for Duquesne.I appreciate your hard work and the difficulties
playing during a pandemic. It takes courage and character to be loyal to each other.Much appreciated.

1/10/2021 8:47 pm  #12

Agree with you guys. Weary of "wish him well".
No loyalty to the coaching staff that recruited him and gave him a chance to play D1.
No loyalty to teammates who are working their butts off.
Selfish and entitled.

1/10/2021 9:39 pm  #13

Put me firmly in the “wish them well” column.  You guys have no idea of the circumstances and nor do I.  There have been over 110 transfers already.  It’s a sign of the times.  Accept it and move on because nobody can do anything about it.

1/10/2021 10:06 pm  #14

All i have to say is i'm disgusted   and i was a huge fan of Carry. There is no loyalty.

1/10/2021 10:31 pm  #15

What comes around goes around.Quitter will get it back and I hope it is misery.I dont wish anyone well
when you abandon your teammates in mid season.You suck loser.

1/10/2021 10:40 pm  #16

Yep.  Lot of losers on this board

1/10/2021 11:31 pm  #17

I’m not going to get into attacking the young man; or calling names. Nobody should be forced to remain in a situation that he cannot tolerate; but remember that he hasn’t been playing his best for KD and Duquesne; and I doubt that was going to change; so no reason for weeping and gnashing of teeth.  He was hurting the team by giving a poor effort. 
We’ll just move forward with the guys that want to be here; TDM, Tyson Acuff, Ryan Murphy and Chad Baker, Toby Okani and others.  It’s a tremendous opportunity for those guys. The rest are just just like footprints in the sand!

1/10/2021 11:35 pm  #18

Very well said Levon

1/11/2021 12:13 am  #19

Not sure that I would particularly want to be held accountable for certain decisions that I made when I was 19 or 20 years of age! It is unfortunate when kids make decisions that we, as adults, believe to be inappropriate or even inexcusable. We are seeing these things through the eyes of experience. The kids, not so much. I will wish them all well and know that one day they may question their decision or even come to regret it. In the meantime, let's root like crazy for those players who remain committed to the program. I believe our basketball future is bright. My 2 cents worth.

1/11/2021 1:14 am  #20

El Presidente wrote:

Not sure that I would particularly want to be held accountable for certain decisions that I made when I was 19 or 20 years of age! It is unfortunate when kids make decisions that we, as adults, believe to be inappropriate or even inexcusable. We are seeing these things through the eyes of experience. The kids, not so much. I will wish them all well and know that one day they may question their decision or even come to regret it. In the meantime, let's root like crazy for those players who remain committed to the program. I believe our basketball future is bright. My 2 cents worth.

These "kids", though young, are grown men. The same age as some of the men that spill their blood for the country. That said, like any other adult, they have the right to decide their path in life. I won't trash their decision, but I feel no obligation to follow them going forward.

1/11/2021 8:27 am  #21

duq81 wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

These "kids", though young, are grown men. The same age as some of the men that spill their blood for the country. That said, like any other adult, they have the right to decide their path in life. I won't trash their decision, but I feel no obligation to follow them going forward.

Me, neither, duq81. Play with what you've got now. This team still can make some noise because there are good players remaining and a great coaching staff to tie it together. It still makes most of our past teams during this long drought look pathetic.

1/11/2021 9:17 am  #22

Obviously the new transfer rule will make this kind of player movement more prevalent; but I think the players are brought up in an AAU system that doesn’t foster the same kind of team loyalty as was present when a players primary  competition was at the High School level where the emphasis was more focused on the team goals rather than individual goals.  AAU ball is all about making a name for yourself; and I think that carries over into college.  Team goals aren’t important; it’s just about furthering the players career goals in the sport.  I’m not suggesting that players are misguided or wrong for thinking about themselves rather than a team; but it may result in alumni and supporters taking a different approach.
So I think we all need to understand the circumstances have changed;  and reconsider why we follow college sports and support one school financially and emotionally when there is little buy-in from a players standpoint.  Is this a sustainable system?

1/11/2021 10:03 am  #23

levon1975 wrote:

I’m not going to get into attacking the young man; or calling names. Nobody should be forced to remain in a situation that he cannot tolerate; but remember that he hasn’t been playing his best for KD and Duquesne; and I doubt that was going to change; so no reason for weeping and gnashing of teeth. He was hurting the team by giving a poor effort.
We’ll just move forward with the guys that want to be here; TDM, Tyson Acuff, Ryan Murphy and Chad Baker, Toby Okani and others. It’s a tremendous opportunity for those guys. The rest are just just like footprints in the sand!

I feel the same way Levon. I waited this long to post about it because I didn't want my emotional reaction as a fan to be public. It's easy to get caught up in fandom and forget that these guys are more than just basketball players.

Of all the transfers we've had this is the first one that really hurt. I've said many times I didn't know if Sincere was the best player on the team, but he was the most important. He was without a doubt the on-court leader of the team, and from an outside perspective seemed to be at least one of the off-court leaders too. He has legit power conference ability. He wouldn't be a star in the Big Ten, and might not ever even start, but he can definitely compete at that level. If he hadn't gotten hurt he might have gone that way to begin with, and possibly still will. A talented player and team leader that seemed to embrace the coaches, program, school, and city. I thought we were lucky to have him, but also didn't feel like he was going anywhere. With his brother coming in too, I had hopes of maybe even having him for an extra year because of the Covid waiver. 

I've been worried about him all season though because he just wasn't playing the way he was capable of playing. It kind of is a chicken and the egg situation. Was he playing poorly because he was unhappy or was he unhappy because he was playing poorly? Sadly I think even bringing his B- game this season he was better than the alternatives. TDM stepped up in his first opportunity though, and hopefully can keep it going and improve. It's possible that the transfers allow the rotation to become more settled, help the young guys develop quicker, and we are better in the long run. I don't know how likely it is that this and the other transfers end up being addition by subtraction, but it is possible.

More than anything we have to remember two things. First of all, this message board is public and even if not everybody in the program reads it, I'm sure some do. Secondly, it might be basketball that introduces us to the young men on the team, but that can't be the only thing we think about in regards to them. We don't know what adversity Sin was going through that led to this decision. Adversity can sometimes make a man, so pushing through can be what's best. Trying to force your way through can also make things even worse sometimes too though. This may or may not be what's best for Sin from both a basketball perspective and a life perspective. He may look back on the decision and regret it as the years pass by. I'm certainly not going to wish that to happen to someone I've rooted so hard for for two and a half years though. I loved what he did in his time at Duquesne, I wish there was more to come, but put me in the "wish him well" group.

At the same time let's back the guys that are still here 100%. We have gone from having one of the most experienced teams around to having a pretty young team. The talent level is still as high as it's been in a long time. They need to grow up quickly though, and our support will help.

1/11/2021 11:06 am  #24

This question is just to keep my mind off the Steeler blow-up last night - and I know that a few of you have the ability (unlike me) to find this.  I didn't think that TJ McConnell would play in the NBA - I didn't ever say he couldn't, I just never thought of it.  So here is my question for you stats people.  What is the comparison between Sincere and TJ over their years in terms of shots, assists, etc.?   Will Sincere also get there?  One of the reasons that TJ left...one of them is he wanted to get to the NCAA and didn't believe he would do that staying at Duquesne.  So...
Thanks....
Go Dukes

1/11/2021 11:10 am  #25

No offense, but these guys left or are leaving. I wouldn't label a guy a loser but when you cut the tie, sayonara (or however its spelled)

Board footera