Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2021 6:10 pm  #1

Cooper Fieldhouse-

Right now I think all of us are looking for anything positive,the dissappointments with the COVID which has brought
on another bout of negativity surrounding Duquesne basketball. I need a sense of hope for the future and maybe
this building will improve the perception of Duquesne basketball,excite the fanbase and help with recruiting
better players..Please show the place off soon-like tomorrow.
 I have followed the team since 65-66 season and I need some hope for me to continue being a fan.This season
started off to be so promising and I pointed to this 4th year with KD  since he has been here as the defining moment
being invited to NCAA tournament tourney. Well its not going to happen this year and I  question if it will ever happen..
Only hope for me is the Fieldhouse.Looking for something to hang my hat on in future years.

1/14/2021 6:54 pm  #2

Re: Cooper Fieldhouse-

I plan on stopping by the Fieldhouse in a few days when I'm in the city, if nobody has recent pictures before then I'll take some.

1/14/2021 8:36 pm  #3

This year should be considered a Mulligan; it’s just not an even playing field.  Definitely some holes to fill before next season; so the coaches need to use every Avenue of talent acquisition!

1/14/2021 9:17 pm  #4

Thanks I appreciate the pictures.

1/17/2021 3:46 pm  #5

If they got the floor down. heat. and a working scoreboard I say start playing the games there.

1/18/2021 3:06 pm  #6

I listened to the halftime show on WJAS and they interviewed a fundraiser and he said the last time he
checked they were laying floor down,so the Fieldhouse should be ready very soon.Hopefully the building
will grow the program further to success

1/18/2021 4:19 pm  #7

stew wrote:

I listened to the halftime show on WJAS and they interviewed a fundraiser and he said the last time he
checked they were laying floor down,so the Fieldhouse should be ready very soon.Hopefully the building
will grow the program further to success

The Dukes still have not announced a site for the February 2 home game against Dayton.  That's only 15 days from now.  It would seem to me that they are holding out hope that this game can be at the Cooper Fieldhouse.

1/18/2021 4:26 pm  #8

I really can't wait to take in a game at the "Coop"! A true milestone in the resurgence of Duquesne basketball. It exemplifies the commitment that the school has made to this program and I couldn't be more excited.
Don'i know when we will actually have that opportunity but it can't be soon enough for me. Do believe that it will bring further success to the program. I am a '69 grad so have lived in the wilderness like so many of you on this board. GO DUKES!

1/18/2021 4:27 pm  #9

Just stopped by the Coop about an hour ago. It looks good, tons of detail inside and logos everywhere, even the new lion duke. I may be able to go back after dark and see if I can get pictures of the inside through the windows, but here are a few pictures I just took!!!

https://imgur.com/gallery/To0b1Ba

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/18/2021 4:30 pm)

1/18/2021 4:33 pm  #10

Like WashPA said yesterday if the floor is laid,the scoreboard and heating work play the game at the Coop
which is what i think is going to happen. There maybe minor issues but there are no fans.I think it is almost ready and 2 weeks is a lot of time. No concessions because of no fans. It sucks because no fans but the team needs to practice where they play as soon as possible.

1/18/2021 4:38 pm  #11

In a season with numerous setbacks Dukes fans need something very positive happening and I think its
like opening presents at XMAS. It makes a positive out of a so far negative season. I AM EXCITED.

1/18/2021 4:44 pm  #12

No fans yes but the team will have a locker room and showers.
They will also have shooting practice with the hoops and the lighting.
No bus ride to LaRoche for  home games
If the first game is Feb. 2, that is good timing.
I believe they have 7 games in Feb. Win most of them and we salvage the season.

1/18/2021 5:55 pm  #13

El Presidente wrote:

I really can't wait to take in a game at the "Coop"! A true milestone in the resurgence of Duquesne basketball. It exemplifies the commitment that the school has made to this program and I couldn't be more excited.
Don'i know when we will actually have that opportunity but it can't be soon enough for me. Do believe that it will bring further success to the program. I am a '69 grad so have lived in the wilderness like so many of you on this board. GO DUKES!

Yes, can't wait to see the Dukes lose by double figures to Dayton in their grand opening, or a lesser opponent, as, in typical Duquesne fashion, there is no merchandise with the new logo available. 

Hey remember how the opening of the Palumbo over 30 years ago was the start of a new era of Duquesne basketball. This will the biggest local laughing stock since the Pirates opend PNC Park and hosted the All Star Gam with a team that was 30 games under .500 in July.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (1/18/2021 5:57 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/18/2021 8:17 pm  #14

Tejas_Duke wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

Yes, can't wait to see the Dukes lose by double figures to Dayton in their grand opening, or a lesser opponent, as, in typical Duquesne fashion, there is no merchandise with the new logo available. 

Hey remember how the opening of the Palumbo over 30 years ago was the start of a new era of Duquesne basketball. This will the biggest local laughing stock since the Pirates opend PNC Park and hosted the All Star Gam with a team that was 30 games under .500 in July.

Hey Tejas, come on man. You're sounding a lot like rittersdiner! (haven't heard from him much lately and that's ok) This program is in so much better shape than anything we had on the court 30 years ago. Right now we are so close to being a really good team with a supportive administration, solid AD, and outstanding coach. Now is not the time to throw in the towel!  Things can turn around quickly. Hang in there!

1/18/2021 8:55 pm  #15

I'd like to see it open for the seniors. They have been loyal and might want to stay another year.

1/18/2021 10:42 pm  #16

Our seniors deserve a great place to play.Make this happen for all the guys that have endured this season.
Nothing like playing basketball in the middle of a pandemic that will probably kill 500,000 Americans before
everybody gets vaccinated.

1/18/2021 10:56 pm  #17

Thank you BluffHunter for the pictures.It looks like it is going to be ready.I like the Lion,hell,at least somebodys trying to make Duquesne a feared program in the A10.Cant wait to attend a game
or half a dozen and  its a 4 hour drive to campus for me.I love the Dukes.

1/18/2021 11:00 pm  #18

El Presidente wrote:

Hey Tejas, come on man. You're sounding a lot like rittersdiner! (haven't heard from him much lately and that's ok) This program is in so much better shape than anything we had on the court 30 years ago. Right now we are so close to being a really good team with a supportive administration, solid AD, and outstanding coach. Now is not the time to throw in the towel!  Things can turn around quickly. Hang in there!

I hate feeling this way, as I said on my other thread.  Just tired of  one step forward two steps back.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/19/2021 12:19 am  #19

Tejas_Duke wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

I hate feeling this way, as I said on my other thread.  Just tired of  one step forward two steps back.

I get that. Well it might be 2 steps forward and only 1 step backward now. Progress!!!!!

1/19/2021 10:31 am  #20

Hopefully it is everything everyone wanted in a new/updated arena, including the players.   Maybe, maybe, it will help with player retention.   If uniforms can make a player pick a school/team, you have to think a new building would make them stay, right?

1/19/2021 10:57 am  #21

Obviously, the arena isn't quite ready to go but does anyone know if the men are using practice courts, locker rooms, and other amenities that are in the new field house. Seems that would be a welcome improvement.

1/20/2021 4:26 am  #22

z duke wrote:

Obviously, the arena isn't quite ready to go but does anyone know if the men are using practice courts, locker rooms, and other amenities that are in the new field house. Seems that would be a welcome improvement.

On yesterday’s media call, Dambrot said that they are still practicing at the Rec Center and still are in their makeshift offices. When asked about playing at Cooper, he said he hasn’t been told anything and that he quit asking to limit his disappointment.

1/20/2021 2:58 pm  #23

UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse lettering went up today!!

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpears/status/1351977627213414400

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/20/2021 2:59 pm)

1/20/2021 11:42 pm  #24

Pictures of the Coop at night so you can see inside, notice the new lion logo.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3eDqAyv

1/21/2021 1:45 pm  #25

Board footera