Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2021 5:20 pm  #1

Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (A)

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 01/15/2021 at the Reilly Center, Olean, NY
Dukes #105 (3-4; 2-3) vs St. Bonaventure Bonnies #63 (5-1; 3-1)

Game prediction: Dukes lose by 6, 71-65 - Dukes with 27% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 8½ point underdogs; Over/Under 134½
Duquesne 2-5 Against the Spread; St. Bonaventure 4-2 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): UNC Greensboro (126); George Washington (202)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): George Washington (202); Little Rock (141)
St. Bonaventure Best Win(s): Richmond (51); Akron (148)
St. Bonaventure Worst Loss(es): Rhode Island (68)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure for the season (national ranking out of 357 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (49); Turnover % (64)
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (296)
Defensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (44); Effective FG % (75)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (1); Turnover % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (11)
Defensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (3)  

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 357 teams):
Offensive Strength:  FT Rate (81)
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (287)
Defensive Strength:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (12)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (1)
Defensive Weakness:  Turnover % (11)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
St. Bonaventure Adj Offense Efficiency - 108.7, #62 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 96.6, #73 in D-1
St. Bonaventure Adj Defense Efficiency - 96.0, #67 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 102.8, #145 in D-1
St. Bonaventure Adj Tempo - 67.9, #242 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 68.6, #215 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - St. Bonaventure 1.93 yrs, #115 in D-1; Dukes 1.90 yrs, #124 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - St. Bonaventure 67.5%, #32 in D-1; Dukes 63.9%, #47 in D-1
Average Height - St. Bonaventure 77.2", #124 in D-1; Dukes 76.2", #282 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 175th in the country.
St. Bonaventure is 87th in the country.
Automated Game Preview: https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=381&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

1/14/2021 7:03 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (A)

I personally believe Duquesne vs St. Bonaventure is one of the most underrated and best future rivalries in the A10. Last season both conference games between the two were extremely entertaining high intensity basketball. With that said, I'm nervous about tomorrow. Mike and Marcus need to find beast mode.

1/14/2021 7:31 pm  #3

Jaren Holmes is 17 for 30 from the 3. We gotta keep somebody in his face.

1/14/2021 8:11 pm  #4

WashPaRick wrote:

Jaren Holmes is 17 for 30 from the 3. We gotta keep somebody in his face.

Shutting down him and Lofton will be a huge challenge for our guards, Okani and Baker are going to have to show us what they're made of. Osunniyi is a force down low too, we need to be taking it to him hard and try and get him in foul trouble. 

1/14/2021 9:44 pm  #5

-For the first year in a few...we didn’t predict what we thought the W-L record would be.  That is a good thing.  This is not a year to do that.  We don’t even know how many games we will play.  Now, over the many years, my anger has come out when we didn’t have a competent coach or AD.     That is gone.
-Now let’s go back to years when we were asked what we hoped for - for our team...  Mine was always the same....First to be competitive and second to get to a tournament frequently, either the NIT or NCAA and it didn’t have to be every year.

- I still believe we are competitive...I don’t feel (like I used to) that there is no way we Can win a game we play.  Can I say we probably will or won’t win, yes, but with DAMBROT I know we always can.  So, my point is we all just need to ride this out.  We all need to remember something that is so simple, our own emotions get in our own way.  We are fans....passionate, but fans - this doesn’t put bread on our table (unless of course you bet all of you bread!).  Think how you feel and triple it times 10.  That is what it is like to coach.  Does anyone think that DAMBROT, the coaches, the AD don’t want to win!!  Coach D. Wants to win more than anything so he is going to do everything he can.  I”m not saying everything is perfect.  But, it starts at the top....and as I said in another thread, our President, AD, and coach are competent and what we need.  Maybe this year won’t turn out well, but our program will still be in good shape.  Go Dukes!

1/14/2021 9:49 pm  #6

FAM wrote:

-For the first year in a few...we didn’t predict what we thought the W-L record would be.  That is a good thing.  This is not a year to do that.  We don’t even know how many games we will play.  Now, over the many years, my anger has come out when we didn’t have a competent coach or AD.     That is gone.
-Now let’s go back to years when we were asked what we hoped for - for our team...  Mine was always the same....First to be competitive and second to get to a tournament frequently, either the NIT or NCAA and it didn’t have to be every year.

- I still believe we are competitive...I don’t feel (like I used to) that there is no way we Can win a game we play.  Can I say we probably will or won’t win, yes, but with DAMBROT I know we always can.  So, my point is we all just need to ride this out.  We all need to remember something that is so simple, our own emotions get in our own way.  We are fans....passionate, but fans - this doesn’t put bread on our table (unless of course you bet all of you bread!).  Think how you feel and triple it times 10.  That is what it is like to coach.  Does anyone think that DAMBROT, the coaches, the AD don’t want to win!!  Coach D. Wants to win more than anything so he is going to do everything he can.  I”m not saying everything is perfect.  But, it starts at the top....and as I said in another thread, our President, AD, and coach are competent and what we need.  Maybe this year won’t turn out well, but our program will still be in good shape.  Go Dukes!

great post.

1/15/2021 4:52 am  #7

FAM wrote:

The voice of reason. Thanks.

1/15/2021 9:07 am  #8

I know there is a lot of negativity but this team is only playing there seventh game and with the departures it does not make it easy on coach to find a good cohesive starting lineup. I do think the young guards need to be told to get back to our identity from last year and that is feed Marcus and Mike the rock down low. During our wins last year they played a huge factor on the inside even at the start of the Dayton game they looked good feeding Marcus down low. Those two are our leaders but getting them going also opens up shots from outside when the defenders converge down low. I think right now our young players are just going too fast and trying to hit shots that you can get at any moment in the shot clock. Once we get back to feeding the bigs (especially Mike and Marcus) is when we will truly come together as a team in terms of a good offense. We have to attack osunniyi this game and not settle for those long contested jumpers. Get him in foul trouble and continue to feed it down low.

1/15/2021 9:39 am  #9

It would sure help if someone could make up for the loss at the point. So far nothing going there.

1/15/2021 10:30 am  #10

Dukes412 wrote:

I know there is a lot of negativity but this team is only playing there seventh game and with the departures it does not make it easy on coach to find a good cohesive starting lineup. I do think the young guards need to be told to get back to our identity from last year and that is feed Marcus and Mike the rock down low. During our wins last year they played a huge factor on the inside even at the start of the Dayton game they looked good feeding Marcus down low. Those two are our leaders but getting them going also opens up shots from outside when the defenders converge down low. I think right now our young players are just going too fast and trying to hit shots that you can get at any moment in the shot clock. Once we get back to feeding the bigs (especially Mike and Marcus) is when we will truly come together as a team in terms of a good offense. We have to attack osunniyi this game and not settle for those long contested jumpers. Get him in foul trouble and continue to feed it down low.

A very good point. Our best players are big men. We're struggling to shoot from outside. Osunniyi killed us last year. Playing inside-out should be our game plan every game, but is especially important in this matchup.

1/15/2021 10:40 am  #11

The Bonnie's are a tough match up for the Dukes. They have 4 very good players across 3 positions including an excellent point guard & one of the league's best centers.

In the long run, Dayton is probably a slightly better team but, SBU is likely a tougher opponent for DU this year.

1/15/2021 11:17 am  #12

It was a great win to beat them at Olean last season, I truly felt it was right up there with the win at St. Louis, but really a better win, because of the trouble the Dukes have had beating them in recent years, and the difficulty in playing at that facility.  With that said, I don't like our chances in this year's match-up.  They have advantages in every match-up except for Marcus; including at the 5 where Osunnyi seems to play his best game of the year against Duquesne.  The guard play will be a problem for us the remainder of the season, running with a converted PG and two freshmen at the 1 and 2 spots, they will face some very good guards game after game, and this one is no exception. 
In short, I don't like our chances in this one, and just hope we can avoid a blow-out. 

1/15/2021 12:04 pm  #13

levon1975 wrote:

It was a great win to beat them at Olean last season, I truly felt it was right up there with the win at St. Louis, but really a better win, because of the trouble the Dukes have had beating them in recent years, and the difficulty in playing at that facility.  With that said, I don't like our chances in this year's match-up.  They have advantages in every match-up except for Marcus; including at the 5 where Osunnyi seems to play his best game of the year against Duquesne.  The guard play will be a problem for us the remainder of the season, running with a converted PG and two freshmen at the 1 and 2 spots, they will face some very good guards game after game, and this one is no exception. 
In short, I don't like our chances in this one, and just hope we can avoid a blow-out. 

I'm with you, levon1975.  The Bonnies present all kinds of matchup problems for the Dukes under the best of circumstances; a much more difficult task than what they faced in Dayton.  On top of all of your comments, Marcus had two really subpar games last year against the Bonnies.
The Bonnies don't take a lot of 3's and our length with Okani/Baker/Acuff may clamp down any barrage of 3's.  If we can keep Hughes out of foul trouble and run Rotroff/Kelly at Osunniyi, the Dukes may able to keep the Bonnies under 65 points.  That defensive effort still may not be enough; who is going to step up and score for the Dukes?

1/15/2021 1:38 pm  #14

Good observations Phoenix; Ossuniya isn’t a big offensive threat from the post  in the half-court game; but he has a knack for getting position for offensive rebounds which tend to be a weakness for the Dukes; a lot of this occurs when bigs leave him to help stop a driver; or to attempt a shot-block; we need to occupy all three rebounding positions as often as possible and be physical with him. 
Correct about Marcus; the Bonnie’s bothered him with double-teams at RMU last year; but Marcus sat out a lot because he sprained an ankle in the first 2-minutes of the game.  He gave it the best effort the rest of the game; but clearly had no “Lift” off that ankle.  I think he got better at recognizing and passing out of the double team since then.  It will be a must in this game; as he will again see the double team.

1/15/2021 2:08 pm  #15

Things don't get any easier tonight, do they? Well somewhere along the line, one of our freshmen or perhaps Murphy will have a big game. All things being equal and the rest of the team plays well, it will lead to a win. Might not be tonight but,who knows, it's what makes the game of basketball so entertaining. Five freshmen getting minutes. Really hoping to see Jett on the court before too long, With 4 or 5  3's from him, a game could be won.

1/15/2021 2:25 pm  #16

Nothing like putting pressure on Jett; looking for 4-5 threes; but seriously in the Dayton post-game KD mentioned that Jett was looking better in practice; but I think you still need to be prudent about exposing a kid before he is ready and he struggles.  That could set him back for another few weeks.  Ideally, you would like to see some other guys start to score to relieve the pressure for Jett to score immediately; the work him in under a better situation.

1/15/2021 3:07 pm  #17

Jett was one of the very best high school/prep school 3 point shooters in the country. These are the players who usually are the solid 3 point shooters in college. A bit of wishful thinking on my part perhaps but certainly not out of the question. Surely potentially the best long range shooter on the team. Of course he has to be able to keep up with the game to get any playing time. 

1/15/2021 3:32 pm  #18

Just hope the team bus arrives and returns safely; that is a terrible trip to make in the winter; wouldn’t wish that on my enemies; well maybe a few.

1/15/2021 4:49 pm  #19

El Presidente wrote:

Jett was one of the very best high school/prep school 3 point shooters in the country. These are the players who usually are the solid 3 point shooters in college. A bit of wishful thinking on my part perhaps but certainly not out of the question. Surely potentially the best long range shooter on the team. Of course he has to be able to keep up with the game to get any playing time. 

You're right, he shot over 48% from 3-point range as a high school senior. He transferred to First Love Academy for his last two HS seasons so he'd get to play against national competition and improve his overall game. But I suppose if he really projected to be THAT good a player at the college level, he'd have ended up at Villanova (where Jay Wright collects top shooters) or somewhere in the ACC or Big 10. Instead, he got mostly MAAC/NEC/CAA/Horizon-level offers along with a few A10 schools, one of which was Duquesne. So I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised that he's yet to make an impact as a freshman. For all his gaudy HS stats, he seemed to be a borderline A10 talent. Still, we're the 314th-best 3-point-shooting team in the NCAA. I'd love to see what he can do, can he really be any worse than the kids who are playing?

1/15/2021 5:15 pm  #20

FAM wrote:

Nice post FAM!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

1/15/2021 6:56 pm  #21

luckymcd wrote:

A very good point. Our best players are big men. .

Wow, when is the last time in going on 45 years of futility that that phrase was ever used describing Duquesne basketball?

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (1/15/2021 6:56 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/15/2021 7:03 pm  #22

Before tip off... please at least be competitive! Go Dukes! 

1/15/2021 7:07 pm  #23

In full disclosure I’m watching this game at a bar. It’s the first game in years I’ve had the opportunity, so I’m taking it. Of course that means it’s muted. So I don’t know what was said during it. ESPN sure seems to be forcing a racial narrative to the game. Duquesne’s black athletes are kneeling while St. Bonaventure’s white athletes are standing. Never mind that the racial makeup of the teams is pretty similar.

1/15/2021 7:26 pm  #24

What bothered me is some were laughing while kneeling... if they want to kneel, fine. But be respectful. Nuff said.

I guess we should want slower games as we go since our shooting is poor?? Go Dukes.

1/15/2021 7:38 pm  #25

The name of this game is putting the ball in the basket and we simply don't have enough guys who can do that. They are hustling and playing good defense but we need our guards to make shots

Board footera