Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2021 7:42 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (A)

If Seth Greenberg is getting paid by the word he is going to be a millionaire by 8:30.
My God man let us watch the game. Take a breath.

1/15/2021 7:45 pm  #27

Robbed of two points that was 100% a goal tend.

1/15/2021 7:46 pm  #28

Murphy's bank shot is goal-tended. A call nobody could miss, yet it was missed.

1/15/2021 8:16 pm  #29

Another un-called goal-tend. Unbelievable.

1/15/2021 8:34 pm  #30

17 FTs for SBU to 2 FTs for DU

1/15/2021 8:34 pm  #31

Yes, needed to turn sound off for a while.... Seth, shut the —- up!

Lofton is amazing

1/15/2021 8:44 pm  #32

It’s really nice to see such great defense.  I just wish the new players had more confidence on offense.  As an example, Acuff has a breakaway and rather than taking it coast to coast for a layup (or drawing a foul) he threw a pass all the way back to 3.  This will come with time, but I want to see far less doubt on the offensive end.  Also, Lofton has been “too good” many times.  The D on him has been great, but amazing players are amazing for a reason.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/15/2021 8:54 pm  #33

Is Rotroff injured? Just saw him on the sidelines and noticed he didn't play today.

1/15/2021 8:59 pm  #34

Good for Baker.!!!

1/15/2021 9:00 pm  #35

Simms wrote:

It’s really nice to see such great defense. I just wish the new players had more confidence on offense. As an example, Acuff has a breakaway and rather than taking it coast to coast for a layup (or drawing a foul) he threw a pass all the way back to 3. This will come with time, but I want to see far less doubt on the offensive end. Also, Lofton has been “too good” many times. The D on him has been great, but amazing players are amazing for a reason.

Must say that Lofton shoots the fall-away jumper about as well as it can be done. Just freakin amazing.

1/15/2021 9:17 pm  #36

1/15/2021 9:48 pm  #37

Four years in and not one reliable scorer at the guard position. Putting the ball in the hoop is kind of important.  Maybe just follow Andy Toole around and see how he finds talent.  Even Danny Née had some guys who could score!  This has nothing to do with the transfers; even with them; not a scorer on the team!

1/15/2021 9:51 pm  #38

Now that's more like it. The final score was not representative of the way Duquesne played this game tonight. They were within 1 with four minutes left.
The team played excellent defensively, which has been an ongoing trend and a reflection of Dambrot's philosophy.
And BTW, Dambrot had this team ready to  play tonight. It took the Dukes a lot longer to get to that fatigue  point. I feel like it happened right after they spent themselves to get to within 1. That's my take on it. Each game, it would be great to see them get into better game shape. It seemed like it was happening tonight.
Playing with three freshmen in the lineup and moving TDM to the point is a tough thing for any team.
But they played their tails off tonight. Very representative under the difficult circumstances on a big stage.
And I happen to think Greenberg is terrific. After listening to the jabronies on CBS Sports and NBC Sports, it was a welcome addition to hear two guys who call games for the worldwide leader. That was a professional presentation (except maybe when Travis Ford hogged half the screen during the first half. I could have done without that). Overall, though, Seth Greenberg knows and loves basketball and I love hearing guys who broadcast the game and interject their knowledge, as he did from a former coach's standpoint. So I respectfully don't agree with other posters that he talks too much. Well, he talks a lot, I'll give you that. But so does Fran Fraschilla and Dick VItale and those guys are knowledgeable as well. That's what a color guy is supposed to do, but I enjoy what Seth Greenberg has to offer. He is on top of the scene nationwide. ESPN is unmatched when it comes to presentation, not ESPN Plus, where you get local yocals calling the plays. Sorry to ramble. I talk as much as Greenberg.
I think if you are a Duquesne fan, you had to like a lot of what you saw tonight. They made Bonaventure work hard for this win. OK, go ahead and hammer me now. I have thick skin.

1/15/2021 9:59 pm  #39

CLK, thanks for posting the box score. I see St. Bonaventure only shot 36 percent, almost identical to Duquesne. So they don't look like they can put it in the hole, either. If not for Lofton, Duquesne wins. That and the fact that Bonaventure's point total included 20 free throws made. For all the bellyaching about how bad Duquesne shoots, they shot 35 percent, almost the same as St. Bonaventure. Duquesne doesn't shoot well, but they hit 7 three-pointers. You can make arguments all over the  place. Bottom line, the Dukes played as good a game as they've played this year considering they don't have their floor leader, the point guard. And don't think Greenberg didn't have a very accurate opinion about that scenario, either. 

1/15/2021 10:02 pm  #40

levon1975 wrote:

Four years in and not one reliable scorer at the guard position. Putting the ball in the hoop is kind of important. Maybe just follow Andy Toole around and see how he finds talent. Even Danny Née had some guys who could score! This has nothing to do with the transfers; even with them; not a scorer on the team!

Agree 100 percent. Not one reliable scorer at the guard position. Can't blame Weathers and Hughes for launching threes. At this point go down court and chuck a three. Beats turning the ball over on some weak pass. Frustrating. Jett not seeing the court is a joke at this point no matter how bad he is defensively. You can play your tail off on defense, but if you can't score it"s not going to make a difference.

1/16/2021 12:01 am  #41

Okay, here is my take...Dennis you r right about Jett, if he can't play now then his level is why the bigger programs didn't offer.....Phil, the foul discrepancy was ridiculous......I saw our guys get bumped going up several times and no call... SBU didn't get a call against them until the 16 min mark in the second half - good Lord, call the Commissioner, KD is right here, but you know what, he should have made a reference to it in the post game, I would have applauded him for it,  forget the fine or suspension (sorry I'm pissed).  Apple, the goaltending non-call was even more ridiculous, (profanity) I saw that in real time.....3 officials and no one calls it!! Send the tape to the A-10 office!!! SRM, no Rotroff, well to put if mildly that did not upset me one bit.  And I am with you CrossEye on Greenberg, I thought he talked a lot, which is what they r supposed to do, but he was good.  We played hard and just couldn't make enough shots and unforced TO's killed us. I liked the effort and I am encouraged, but can someone tell me why Murphy after seemingly getting his stroke and hitting a couple 3's was out of the game for like the last 11 minutes of the second half?????  And please why is KD playing Mikey B??? I'm sorry, why?? The kid probably came on board to make SC happy, and then SC disses you.....Iron Duke I am with you 100%...No matter how much of a good kid he is, KD he is NOT A-10 LEVEL AND YOU KNOW IT!!!  And if JR can't get on the floor before someone who no one offered...well, I've already spoken to that.... .

1/16/2021 12:36 am  #42

Solid effort tonight. Can't play any harder on defense. Thought Murphy played really well. Think he is a good basketball player and very glad we have him. Team very athletic as KD likes. Think we will see a bit less of AR depending on opponent. TDM needs to find his stroke. While never a consistent 3 point shooter, he is really slumping right now but pressed into service as a pg is making a difference there I'm certain. We are what our record says we are but we are somehow hanging in games against very good teams. Think we will continue to show improvement and don't know what else we can ask of this team this year. Have not lost confidence in KD or the staff. With SC in there at the point, this game could have been won. Oh well.

1/16/2021 8:50 am  #43

I thought the Dukes played hard on defense. Great effort. The freshman continue to show improvement. After all they just left High School. Feel sorry for Marcus,TDM & Mike. Sincere due to his unhappiness left his fellow teammates in a deep hole. Great point by Seth Greenberg on last nights broadcast. Much respect to Coach Dambrot in regard to Mike B. Me personally I would not play so nice because of the sins of his brother. Coach you are a good person. Looks like Marcus & Mike Hughes are getting their sea legs. Nice effort & job last night. Go Dukes.

1/16/2021 9:41 am  #44

1/16/2021 9:45 am  #45

Crosseye wrote:

Now that's more like it. The final score was not representative of the way Duquesne played this game tonight. They were within 1 with four minutes left.
The team played excellent defensively, which has been an ongoing trend and a reflection of Dambrot's philosophy.
And BTW, Dambrot had this team ready to  play tonight. It took the Dukes a lot longer to get to that fatigue  point. I feel like it happened right after they spent themselves to get to within 1. That's my take on it. Each game, it would be great to see them get into better game shape. It seemed like it was happening tonight.
Playing with three freshmen in the lineup and moving TDM to the point is a tough thing for any team.
But they played their tails off tonight. Very representative under the difficult circumstances on a big stage.

A good synopsis of the game. I'm not going to say I'm happy with a 14 point loss. I'm not disgusted like I normally would be either though. The team has improved its play and conditioning every game and at this point is almost there. We will really need to turn be firing on all cylinders come tournament time (and hopefully well before then) but I think we will be.

1/16/2021 10:02 am  #46

Just a thought on JR.  I believe it's too early to form opinions or draw any conclusions concerning his ability to perform at this level. I have no idea since I have not seen him on the court. It could be a huge adjustment for him both defensively and offensively. We do know that everyone is different and development happens at a different pace for each player. He may have lost confidence along with the fact that he was never asked to play college level defense before. I'm willing to trust KD's judgement and see where it goes. Hoping the young man can find his game at DU since Lord knows we need a shooter to step up!

1/16/2021 10:36 am  #47

Lofton’s fade away jumper reminded me of Norm Nixon’s when he was a senior at Duquesne.  That guy is going to the NBA.

Big improvement for the Dukes - I hope they can maintain it.  Go Dukes!

1/16/2021 10:58 am  #48

I have two comments on the video.

KD said that he wants Tyson to be more aggressive and that he is playing to not make a mistake.  There were a few times where he had a chance to shoot wide a open three and passed to a teammate late in the clock with no chance of scoring. He needs to learn that not taking the shot is a mistake, especially when the offense works hard to create an open shot for 25 second of a 30 second clock. I know the kid can score from the numbers he put up in high school.  Hopefully KD will help him regain his confidence and believe in himself.

Secondly, on recruiting.  The way the new rule will be is that kids can transfer one time without sitting out a year.  KD said he will have to adapt.  I know KD likes to recruit freshman he can coach up.  This puts the team at risk of losing good players as they can transfer without losing eligibility.  If I am a coach I think that I would focus on building my  team around transfers (under grad and grad) who you can build on and coach up with less incentive to transfer again  Lord knows there will be many many of them. 

1/16/2021 12:35 pm  #49

I would like to see Acuff play loose and try to score.  He seems tentative and he seems to be playing slow when he has the ball.  Even if he makes some mistakes it would be good to see what he can do.   He was a prolific scorer in high school so he has to have some ability there.  

1/16/2021 12:56 pm  #50

theprofessor1099 wrote:

I would like to see Acuff play loose and try to score.  He seems tentative and he seems to be playing slow when he has the ball.  Even if he makes some mistakes it would be good to see what he can do.   He was a prolific scorer in high school so he has to have some ability there.  

I'm guessing the airball he shot on a wide open 3 with his first shot had something to do with his not shooting. I think he should do what I used to do, blame it on the wind and keep throwin' them up.

Board footera