Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2021 2:39 pm  #1

Maceo Returns

Per Jerry DiPaola

Just got word that Duquesne sophomore guard Maceo Austin rejoined the team today at practice after missing the past three games on a leave of absence. He probably won't play Wednesday, but will be eased back into the rotation by coach Keith Dambrot.

1/17/2021 2:44 pm  #2

Re: Maceo Returns

Finally, some positive news; wish Maceo the best.

1/17/2021 2:54 pm  #3

Great News! Was hoping that we wouldn't have to wait until next season for Maceo. His presence can be significant if he is ready to renew his commitment to the program.

1/17/2021 5:03 pm  #4

Excellent.
Really pulling for this kid and I'm glad he feels he is ready to return.

1/17/2021 5:35 pm  #5

Welcome back Maceo! Many people are pulling for you.

1/17/2021 7:09 pm  #6

That is big and gives the team a number of options. Welcome back, Maceo! Glad you are a Duke!

1/18/2021 9:42 am  #7

Without Sin and Lamar, he should have room to become the leader of the team.   We need the young guys to lead now.   The 3 seniors are almost done.   If KD wants a team for the future, he needs Austin to bring it.   Not next game, but by end of the season.   

1/18/2021 10:59 am  #8

El Presidente wrote:

Great News! Was hoping that we wouldn't have to wait until next season for Maceo. His presence can be significant if he is ready to renew his commitment to the program.

I don't think his commitment ever waned. I think he just had too much on his plate to be at his best on the court. That's what the time away was for.

We all know how much ability he has. We haven't seen it in awhile because of the off the court stuff, but just look at his offer list if you need a reminder. Virginia and Pitt from the ACC, Penn State and Northwestern from the Big 10, West Virginia from the Big 12, Dayton and VCU the best in the A-10. I'm guessing you'd have to go back to the 50s to find another recruit who had an offer from the defending national champion and picked Duquesne instead.

If his mind is centered now he could be a big part of this team going forward. It might not be immediate, but I think he gets his starting spot back. Then Baker can sit next to Murphy and get a chance to watch the flow of the game before getting into it. Austin's shot hasn't been falling, but as the more mature player he deserves the start. Baker can develop mentally sitting with Murphy and they both can provide a spark at the first sub. Maceo coming back really gives us a lot of flexibility.

Point guard could still be an issue going forward since TDM isn't a natural point and I don't think Acuff is ready to take over yet. We have four guys who can play on the wings though and four who can play the four. It gives us the ability to be ride the hot hands, go with a really quick lineup, or a big lineup depending on the matchups. With all those capable players in the backcourt I think it gives us the ability to press too. Fouls and fatigue aren't nearly as big a problem now. Welcome back Maceo, it's great to have you back.

Board footera