Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2021 8:30 pm  #1

Jett

Got to ask coach about him tonight. He said he's coming along and thinks he will be a good player at Duquesne He said players develop differently, some quicker than others and mentioned the coaching brothers on his staff that developed differently. Also asked him if having Jett,s dad at First Love Christian Academy will help him in recruiting there. He said if there are any good players there we will definately be in the mix for them. 

1/21/2021 9:12 pm  #2

Re: Jett

Great to hear. Relieves a bit of angst on my part! If Jett can come along and actually get to the point where he can contribute this year that would be yet another good piece of the puzzle, If not this year, well there's next year when we may need him more then than now. In either case, it's good to have him in the fold. 

1/22/2021 8:38 am  #3

Thanks for the update Rick. I know you were looking forward to the talk for awhile. How was the rest of it?

1/22/2021 1:27 pm  #4

Well, I guess we can take Keith at his word. The problem is, so far under Keith, players that don't play much or at all their first year don't stick around to further their development. 

2017-18
Nicholas Kratholm: plays in 9 out of 32 games, 54 total minutes, transfers to JUCO
Markus Krivacevic: plays in 8 out of 32 games, 30 total minutes, transfers to IUP

2018-19
Gavin Bizeau: plays in 20 out of 32 games, averages 5.6 minutes a game, transfers to Toledo
Brandon Wade: plays in 27 out of 32 games, averages 9.2 minutes a game, transfers to Michigan to walk-on
Dylan Swingle: sits out season as presumed developmental redshirt, transfers to Bowling Green

2019-20
Evan Buckley: plays in 20 out of 30 games, averages 6 minutes a game, quits basketball
James Ellis: plays in 5 out of 30 games, 11 total minutes, transfers to JUCO
Ashton Miller: plays in 23 out of 30 games, averages 9.2 minutes a game, transfers to Wagner

Looked at another way, the bottom-3 scholarship players on the roster the last two years and bottom-2 three years ago, all left the program after their first year. Maybe Jett's a special case, maybe this year's different because it's essentially a throw-away season and he'll still be a freshman next year. But we all thought he'd be a lot better than sitting behind a D-2 player (Bekelja) on the depth chart, which is where he's at now. And the outlook for first-year players who don't play at all or aren't terribly effective in the limited minutes they do get under Dambrot just isn't very good.

1/22/2021 2:30 pm  #5

DennisC91 wrote:

Well, I guess we can take Keith at his word. The problem is, so far under Keith, players that don't play much or at all their first year don't stick around to further their development. 

2017-18
Nicholas Kratholm: plays in 9 out of 32 games, 54 total minutes, transfers to JUCO
Markus Krivacevic: plays in 8 out of 32 games, 30 total minutes, transfers to IUP

2018-19
Gavin Bizeau: plays in 20 out of 32 games, averages 5.6 minutes a game, transfers to Toledo
Brandon Wade: plays in 27 out of 32 games, averages 9.2 minutes a game, transfers to Michigan to walk-on
Dylan Swingle: sits out season as presumed developmental redshirt, transfers to Bowling Green

2019-20
Evan Buckley: plays in 20 out of 30 games, averages 6 minutes a game, quits basketball
Ashton Miller: plays in 23 out of 30 games, averages 9.2 minutes a game, transfers to Wagner

Looked at another way, the bottom-3 scholarship players on the roster the last two years and bottom-2 three years ago, all left the program after their first year. Maybe Jett's a special case, maybe this year's different because it's essentially a throw-away season and he'll still be a freshman next year. But we all thought he'd be a lot better than sitting behind a D-2 player (Bekelja) on the depth chart, which is where he's at now. And the outlook for first-year players who don't play at all or aren't terribly effective in the limited minutes they do get under Dambrot just isn't very good.

Thanks for the good info.

Given Jett's most certainly having been scrutinized thoroughly as a recruit due to playing in strong school & AAU programs against very solid competition, his highly desirable shooting skills, size, & his family's basketball pedigree, it seems unlikely he would be a total washout.

Normally, I would think, maybe the combination of playing in the A-10 & behind at least 10, more college-ready players just makes it very difficult to see the court, but, under the current circumstances where no eligibility is at stake & the team has starved for shooting in nearly every game, I worry that Dennis91's analysis points to a negative outcome.

A healthy, 6'4", knock-down shooter seeing 0 minutes through 9 games on this squad smells of bigger issues.

If you aren't allowed to choose Tricco or Micah, who would you say are the Dukes 3 best marksmen of the last 30 years?

1/22/2021 2:36 pm  #6

Thanks for the research Dennis.  It should be noted that Jett isn't exactly "sitting behind a D-2 player" in MIke B. since Jett is a shooting guard and Mike B is a point guard.  Be that as it may, Jett played against good competition at First Love, certainly better than he would have seen in the WPIAL; so it should have been clear if he was unable to keep up with the speed of the game.  I only saw him play one game against a strong Prep Team from New Jersey; and honestly I didn't see any evidence that Jett was unable to play up to the competition.  He didn't have a great shooting game that day, but he was certainly capable of competing at that level; so I think we just need to be patient and let him work his way into playing a few minutes.    

1/22/2021 4:06 pm  #7

Fair point about Bekelja, Levon, I'm just going by what he was in high school. Carry was the PG on their high school team and Bekelja was the high-scoring shooting guard. I can't easily tell what his role is in our current guard rotation. In five games, he has two assists and two missed 3-pt attempts. The offense certainly hasn't gone through him when he's played. But he's seen the court more than Jett has. And you're right, Jett did see top competition his last two years of high school. I read all about how he went from being the skinny kid with the sweet shot but one-dimensional game at Sewickley Academy to become a more well-rounded, complete player who could still shoot the lights out from beyond the arc at First Love. So why isn't he ready to play this year especially after more minutes became available, on a team that's starved for outside shooting? If he isn't ready for this level of competition now, when will he be? Certainly a very diplomatic answer from Keith, which is to be expected, but the record on kids who play little or not at all here speaks for itself.

1/22/2021 4:15 pm  #8

luckymcd wrote:

Thanks for the update Rick. I know you were looking forward to the talk for awhile. How was the rest of it?

The rest of it was pretty much stuff I had heard before, a lot of Lebron, covid,The Coop, and why he decided to leave Akron. One new question was if he thought any of the seniors might stick around. He said because of overseas leagues being down (economics?) and players here are going to be able to make money off their likeness that players might be more likely to stay.

1/22/2021 4:49 pm  #9

WashPaRick wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

The rest of it was pretty much stuff I had heard before, a lot of Lebron, covid,The Coop, and why he decided to leave Akron. One new question was if he thought any of the seniors might stick around. He said because of overseas leagues being down (economics?) and players here are going to be able to make money off their likeness that players might be more likely to stay.

Great question by whoever asked. Awesome that Coach D did something like that.

1/22/2021 7:14 pm  #10

As a freshman at Akron, Michael Hughes played in 20 of 36 games and averaged 7.3 minutes per game (1.8 points, 1.2 rebounds).  

I hope that everyone wearing a Duquesne jersey makes progress and sticks with the team. Not everyone develops at the same rate and not everyone has the same short-term and long-term goals.

1/23/2021 9:35 am  #11

WashPaRick wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

I like the sound of that. Of course we'll have to wait to actually find out what the seniors are going to do. That sounds like Coach has an inkling some will stick around though. Very cool that you got to attend. What was the actual event?

1/23/2021 11:14 am  #12

rosceaux wrote:

As a freshman at Akron, Michael Hughes played in 20 of 36 games and averaged 7.3 minutes per game (1.8 points, 1.2 rebounds).  

I hope that everyone wearing a Duquesne jersey makes progress and sticks with the team. Not everyone develops at the same rate and not everyone has the same short-term and long-term goals.

Put very succinctly, rosceaux! Right on time.

1/23/2021 1:34 pm  #13

luckymcd wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

I like the sound of that. Of course we'll have to wait to actually find out what the seniors are going to do. That sounds like Coach has an inkling some will stick around though. Very cool that you got to attend. What was the actual event?

It was a zoom event set up for lawyers. They have different speakers from different walks of life. My son is a lawyer and he invited me over..

1/23/2021 1:34 pm  #14

I watched 4 complete or near complete games of Jett's 2019-20 season at First Love. All 4 were against noteworthy competition with multiple D-1 recruits some of who were of the high-major variety.

I assume one of the games was the same one another poster wrote about. Jett played a very engaged game on both ends. He scored 18 or so demonstrating decent athleticism, a very good handle, & nice court vision while shooting poorly.

The other 3 games were from a showcase tournament with some of the best teams in the country. He was nearly dominant, shot the lights out, hit 3  very clutch shots, got some good press, & was named all-tournament along with higher quality recruits.

This is what I find so confusing about him getting no opportunities.

1/23/2021 2:01 pm  #15

rosceaux wrote:

I share your hope, but Hughes spent his freshman year at Akron backing up the Zips' 6-10, 295-pound monster center Isaiah Johnson--Akron's leading scorer (16.6 PPG, 7.1 RPG)--while being in and out of the lineup with recurring stress fractures, which required bi-lateral leg surgery in his transfer year, two plates, six screws in each leg. So I don't think that's really a valid comparison to any of the one-and-dones I mentioned, or to Jett. 

1/23/2021 2:11 pm  #16

I  saw him play a week or 2 after he made 9 3's in a game his first year at 1st Christian. He didn't look like his D or ball handling was a weakness and he drove to the hole a couple of times. I think he hit 2 out 6 from the 3 when I was there and I missed the first 3 minutes of the game.

1/23/2021 5:16 pm  #17

Only thing I've heard--second-hand and unvetted--is that he's really struggled in practices and intrasquad scrimmages and lost his confidence. No big surprise that a kid's struggled to make the leap from high school to the A10, even if that kid played against top high school competition. But to not see the floor at all, on this team? Question, would Ryan Murphy be on the roster right now if Jett was contributing or even expected to contribute this year? Asked another way, if Jett's a part of this program's future like we all hope he is, shouldn't he be getting those 13.3 minutes a game currently going to Murphy?

1/24/2021 10:55 am  #18

DennisC91 wrote:

Only thing I've heard--second-hand and unvetted--is that he's really struggled in practices and intrasquad scrimmages and lost his confidence. No big surprise that a kid's struggled to make the leap from high school to the A10, even if that kid played against top high school competition. But to not see the floor at all, on this team? Question, would Ryan Murphy be on the roster right now if Jett was contributing or even expected to contribute this year? Asked another way, if Jett's a part of this program's future like we all hope he is, shouldn't he be getting those 13.3 minutes a game currently going to Murphy?

Agree with this. It would be different if Murphy was good, he's not. Why waste minutes with a weak player who will be gone next year, instead of a guy who might be here 4 years?

1/24/2021 1:04 pm  #19

Dennis and Duq81 I am 100% with you guys on the Jett perspective.

1/25/2021 10:45 am  #20

phil95 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

2017-18

2018-19

2019-20

Thanks for the good info.

Given Jett's most certainly having been scrutinized thoroughly as a recruit due to playing in strong school & AAU programs against very solid competition, his highly desirable shooting skills, size, & his family's basketball pedigree, it seems unlikely he would be a total washout.

Normally, I would think, maybe the combination of playing in the A-10 & behind at least 10, more college-ready players just makes it very difficult to see the court, but, under the current circumstances where no eligibility is at stake & the team has starved for shooting in nearly every game, I worry that Dennis91's analysis points to a negative outcome.

A healthy, 6'4", knock-down shooter seeing 0 minutes through 9 games on this squad smells of bigger issues.

If you aren't allowed to choose Tricco or Micah, who would you say are the Dukes 3 best marksmen of the last 30 years?

Tony Petrarca and Tommy Pipkens

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

1/25/2021 11:58 am  #21

Those would have been my choices as well.

Petrarca barely squeezes in under the 30 year mark & Pipkins finished 24 years ago. Bill Clark shot very well his sophomore & senior seasons but also quite poorly his freshman & junior seasons. During his senior season, when he was very good at just about everything, Ajax was a low-volume sniper but, he certainly wasn't that over the 4 years.

It is so telling that there have only been 4 obvious answers to my question over 3 decades; even more so because none of them overlapped.

It is hard work being a Dukes fan!

1/25/2021 12:59 pm  #22

Don't forget DC, Derek Colter.  He was a pretty effective 3-pt shooter with very good range.  His percentage would have been higher had he not had to take a lot of 3's as the shot clock wound down;  but the plight of the point guard!  

Last edited by levon1975 (1/26/2021 12:54 pm)

1/25/2021 3:02 pm  #23

levon1975 wrote:

Don't forget DC, Derek Colter.  He was a pretty effective 3-pt shooter with very good range.  His percentage would have been higher had he not had to take a lot of 3's as the shot chlock wound down of then not his fault, but the plight of the point guard.  

He is a very interesting case as he had 2 very respectable, one below average one, & 1 excellent season from deep. His career percentage makes him a good-very good long range shooter. Unfortunately, his 2 point percentages were only ok.

1/25/2021 4:04 pm  #24

levon1975 wrote:

Don't forget DC, Derek Colter.  He was a pretty effective 3-pt shooter with very good range.  His percentage would have been higher had he not had to take a lot of 3's as the shot chlock wound down of then not his fault, but the plight of the point guard.  

TJ McConnell put up some really good numbers as a PG in his 2 years on the Bluff.

1/25/2021 6:56 pm  #25

I have no idea what his percentage was but for a walk on Jason Duty was hitting some 3's.

Board footera