Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2021 8:21 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - Dayton Flyers (H)

El Presidente wrote:

Not too many happy fans on the Dayton board. A not too knowledgeable fan suggested that it was totally embarrassing to lose to a team like Duquesne. Well I think a team like Duquesne is starting to show folks that the Dukes can hang with any team in the A-10. This is really the best defense I've seen since KD has been here and well before. Four out of five. Lets keep it going!

I suppose Duquesne having a very competitive team last year means little to other A-10 team fan bases and their perception of the Dukes.  I think that may change a little over the next couple seasons although there will always be fans of other teams who will never give the opposition credit, no matter what.  Like I said when I posted on this board for the first time ever last week, Saint Louis fans have ripped Duquesne's program continually this year despite the Dukes beating their team consistently in recent times. Also, when they were saying what a nice facility the new Cooper Center is,some still said things in a backhanded way, calling it nice for a "low-major" school.  They basically lumped the program with the likes of LaSalle and Fordham, BUT saying Duquesne is at least "trying" to make an effort to get better.  I find it amusing that they would rip LaSalle since their team was having a tough time against the Explorers tonight.   SLU fans make it sound as if their arena is by far the best in the A-10.  I've seen it on TV quite a few times. It looks sterile to me.I would say Dayton, VCU, Davidson and St. Bonnie have better places to watch a game since they draw nice crowds and the seats are closer to the floor. I saw the O'Reilly Center in person about 30 years ago although it was not during the season and it was empty at the time I passed through. SLU fans think a circular set up is better than the more square set up most other teams have.  Of course, they think everything about their program is better than every other A-10 team.  They are like Dayton fans, without as much success on the court.

2/03/2021 8:33 pm  #52

A-10 is under rated wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

Not too many happy fans on the Dayton board. A not too knowledgeable fan suggested that it was totally embarrassing to lose to a team like Duquesne. Well I think a team like Duquesne is starting to show folks that the Dukes can hang with any team in the A-10. This is really the best defense I've seen since KD has been here and well before. Four out of five. Lets keep it going!

I suppose Duquesne having a very competitive team last year means little to other A-10 team fan bases and their perception of the Dukes.  I think that may change a little over the next couple seasons although there will always be fans of other teams who will never give the opposition credit, no matter what.  Like I said when I posted on this board for the first time ever last week, Saint Louis fans have ripped Duquesne's program continually this year despite the Dukes beating their team consistently in recent times. Also, when they were saying what a nice facility the new Cooper Center is,some still said things in a backhanded way, calling it nice for a "low-major" school.  They basically lumped the program with the likes of LaSalle and Fordham, BUT saying Duquesne is at least "trying" to make an effort to get better.  I find it amusing that they would rip LaSalle since their team was having a tough time against the Explorers tonight.   SLU fans make it sound as if their arena is by far the best in the A-10.  I've seen it on TV quite a few times. It looks sterile to me.I would say Dayton, VCU, Davidson and St. Bonnie have better places to watch a game since they draw nice crowds and the seats are closer to the floor. I saw the O'Reilly Center in person about 30 years ago although it was not during the season and it was empty at the time I passed through. SLU fans think a circular set up is better than the more square set up most other teams have.  Of course, they think everything about their program is better than every other A-10 team.  They are like Dayton fans, without as much success on the court.

If you have been observing this board for a length of time, you will realize that there is a solid faction of us, who maintain that Duquesne has been seen as a bottom feeder in the A 10 for so long, that most fan bases are justified in their perception. Just like the local Pittsburgh media, none of that will change until the Dukes make the Big Dance. Period! 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/03/2021 10:04 pm  #53

Totally agree with Tejas here. You can't change public perception of anything in the twinkle of an eye. Unfortunately 40 plus years of mostly ineptitude will not be erased in one or two or even five years without a  number of positive seasons including at least one or two appearances in the NCAA tournament. Since we have no such seasons to brag about in over four decades, we are still perceived as a struggling program. I do believe this is in the process of changing but until it does we will have to get used to the kind of disparaging comments made on other boards or elsewhere. Keep the faith and trust in the process!

2/04/2021 9:22 am  #54

While this board is trying to find the fly poop in the pepper shaker,  I think we are missing the big story here of the beast mode play of Marcus and Hughes.  I don't think the full season stats mean diddly squat given what this team has been through.  What matters is how they have progressed and how they are playing now.  In the last four games the team as a whole and Marcus and Hughes in particular have taken a giant step forward.  Also the freshman are understanding their roles and feeling comfortable.   Harris, Baker, Acuff, Okani and Bekelja are all contributing.  This is a vastly different team than three weeks ago.  Who knows, the way this team is playing this could still be THE YEAR!  GO DUKES!

2/04/2021 9:33 am  #55

I do believe we can beat any team in the A-10. So, if we keep progressing and win the tournament we go to the NCAA. I doubt we would see an NIT tournament bid, if it’s even held, with our limited game record. Go Dukes.

2/04/2021 10:28 am  #56

Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships.

2/04/2021 12:20 pm  #57

Watched the replay on ESPN+. Both teams shot really well on the one end of the court. But, on the other end there were some depth perception issues especially on 3s. We didn't make any and Dayton was 3 of 16 I think.

2/04/2021 12:35 pm  #58

MikeR wrote:

Watched the replay on ESPN+. Both teams shot really well on the one end of the court. But, on the other end there were some depth perception issues especially on 3s. We didn't make any and Dayton was 3 of 16 I think.

I hadn't noticed that, but thinking back it does seem right. We'll have to see if it continues. Shooters always say it's hard shooting in big arenas or stadiums because there is so much more room behind the backboard. Obviously I haven't been on the court in the Coop yet, but I'd say it's possible and maybe even likely that the backdrop for the that backboard would be the windows. Looking all the way across the street would certainly be further than any arena and probably even more than a stadium would provide. If we get enough reps in practice it could really provide a home court advantage.

2/04/2021 2:31 pm  #59

Tejas_Duke wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

If you have been observing this board for a length of time, you will realize that there is a solid faction of us, who maintain that Duquesne has been seen as a bottom feeder in the A 10 for so long, that most fan bases are justified in their perception. Just like the local Pittsburgh media, none of that will change until the Dukes make the Big Dance. Period! 

I realize Duquesne has not been any where close to elite for a very long time (50 years since they were last ranked).  But they haven't been a doormat in recent years. They won 10 conference games 2 years ago and 11 last season.  They should finish with a winning record in the league again this season.  I suppose it will take a couple NCAA trips to convince other league fans that Duquesne is not a pushover, but for others to lump the Dukes with the likes of LaSalle, Fordham (and St. Joes of the past decade) is inaccurate.   Duquesne has had 6 winning seasons since Ron Everhart's 2nd season in 2007-08.

2/04/2021 7:04 pm  #60

CLK wrote:

While this board is trying to find the fly poop in the pepper shaker,  I think we are missing the big story here of the beast mode play of Marcus and Hughes.  I don't think the full season stats mean diddly squat given what this team has been through.  What matters is how they have progressed and how they are playing now.  In the last four games the team as a whole and Marcus and Hughes in particular have taken a giant step forward.  Also the freshman are understanding their roles and feeling comfortable.   Harris, Baker, Acuff, Okani and Bekelja are all contributing.  This is a vastly different team than three weeks ago.  Who knows, the way this team is playing this could still be THE YEAR!  GO DUKES!

We are very much in agreement.

2/04/2021 7:28 pm  #61

VBC wrote:

CLK wrote:

We are very much in agreement.

Also, in agreement. Have a good feeling now about this team and after watching the other teams in the league for some time now I think the Dukes can play with anybody. There just getting better game by game. Sunday is big. Win that one a few more in a row, albeit a big task, and the Dukes could be looking at a first round bye. Have a feeling when a team in this conference sees they have to play Duquesne come tournament time there will be some cringing.

2/04/2021 8:18 pm  #62

Speaking of the conference tourney, has anyone heard any word on how the conference will deal with differing number of games for seeding? Some teams will likely get their full schedule in, but there’s no way all of them will. I don’t see any way St. Louis gets more than 14, and even that is a pretty big stretch. I would think win percentage would be treated like wins usually are and then go to head to head. Still, if a 14-4 team who faced all the top teams beats a 10-2 team who played an easier schedule, who would you say is better?

2/04/2021 9:08 pm  #63

luckymcd wrote:

Speaking of the conference tourney, has anyone heard any word on how the conference will deal with differing number of games for seeding? Some teams will likely get their full schedule in, but there’s no way all of them will. I don’t see any way St. Louis gets more than 14, and even that is a pretty big stretch. I would think win percentage would be treated like wins usually are and then go to head to head. Still, if a 14-4 team who faced all the top teams beats a 10-2 team who played an easier schedule, who would you say is better?

I would imagine overall wins will determine standings. Even if a team plays less games it’s going to take 10-14 wins to finish near the top. If a team plays 12 games and finishes near the top that’s arguably more impressive to me. I think win percentage would be the tie breaker there.

2/04/2021 11:34 pm  #64

I realize Duquesne has not been any where close to elite for a very long time (50 years since they were last ranked).  But they haven't been a doormat in recent years. They won 10 conference games 2 years ago and 11 last season.  They should finish with a winning record in the league again this season.  I suppose it will take a couple NCAA trips to convince other league fans that Duquesne is not a pushover, but for others to lump the Dukes with the likes of LaSalle, Fordham (and St. Joes of the past decade) is inaccurate.   Duquesne has had 6 winning seasons since Ron Everhart's 2nd season in 2007-08.

The ESPN announcers said it best. In forty plus years the Dukes have won the League Tournament exactly one time! And that was in the very first year!  Nobody cares about "Yeah they were competitive" or "They won ten league games" Lots of teams have done this and not even made the NIT!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/04/2021 11:41 pm  #65

CLK wrote:

we are not trying to rain on anyone's parade. We are as jazzed as anyone! WE realize that this was one very special game in which Hughes and Marcus didn't pick up stupid fouls within five minutes gone of the first half and ended up on the bench for the rest of the half.  yeah different game with them on the court a lot more.  Let's see what happens this weekend. I hope this is a sign of them turning the corner.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/04/2021 11:42 pm  #66

BTW: Guess I have to change my "motto" 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/05/2021 9:27 am  #67

CLK wrote:

Could not agree more with this. Unfortunately we here close to the situation are the only ones really taking great notice of the vast improvement over the past few weeks. Our record of 7-6 is what the general public sees. That's why it will take just a bit longer for those outside our bubble, so to speak, to recognize what we are seeing in this team. If we continue our upward climb, we will be rewarded by more coverage locally and beyond along with greater respect. There is no doubt in my mind that we are totally on track to be that program that we have waited for. It will take those folks who only follow the team on a casual basis a lot longer to see this. It takes a long time to change a general perception.

2/05/2021 10:26 am  #68

Duques102 wrote:

I would imagine overall wins will determine standings. Even if a team plays less games it’s going to take 10-14 wins to finish near the top. If a team plays 12 games and finishes near the top that’s arguably more impressive to me. I think win percentage would be the tie breaker there.

It could be a crazy tournament if they do do it that way. St. Louis could end up a 10 seed and still be one of the favorites to win it. I think win percentage makes more sense, but there really is no good solution. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything. I looked around and couldn't even find any rumors much less anything official.

2/05/2021 12:02 pm  #69

CLK wrote:

...I think we are missing the big story here of the beast mode play of Marcus and Hughes...

THIS. For all the talk of the guard play, Baker's electrifying shooting, Bekelja's off-ball play, Hughes and Weathers have been awesome lately, cleaning up each other's misses, defeating double-teams, sinking the mid-range, and occasional long-range, jumpers. Marcus has even found his stroke from the FT line again, 16-for-19 (84.2%) in the last three games, 26-for-33 (78.8%) in the last five. He was 24-for-47 (51.1%) in the eight games before that. When those two guys are on, we're a completely different team and can beat any team in this conference. They're starting to look like the dominant fifth-year seniors we had hoped they'd be this year. 

2/05/2021 6:36 pm  #70

DennisC91 wrote:

CLK wrote:

...I think we are missing the big story here of the beast mode play of Marcus and Hughes...

THIS. For all the talk of the guard play, Baker's electrifying shooting, Bekelja's off-ball play, Hughes and Weathers have been awesome lately, cleaning up each other's misses, defeating double-teams, sinking the mid-range, and occasional long-range, jumpers. Marcus has even found his stroke from the FT line again, 16-for-19 (84.2%) in the last three games, 26-for-33 (78.8%) in the last five. He was 24-for-47 (51.1%) in the eight games before that. When those two guys are on, we're a completely different team and can beat any team in this conference. They're starting to look like the dominant fifth-year seniors we had hoped they'd be this year. 

Exactly!  Staying out of foul trouble is key!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/05/2021 7:10 pm  #71

DennisC91 wrote:

For all the talk of the guard play, Baker's electrifying shooting, Bekelja's off-ball play, Hughes and Weathers have been awesome lately, cleaning up each other's misses, defeating double-teams, sinking the mid-range, and occasional long-range, jumpers. Marcus has even found his stroke from the FT line again

I think it’s a matter of expectations. We all expected Marcus and Mike to excel. The 2 and 3 spots were an unknown coming into the season and exponentially more so after the defections. Baker and Bekelja have exceeded expectations so far. Baker by looking like freshman of the year in the conference, Bekelja by holding his own as a starter already. Any Dukes fan has to appreciate what Marcus and Mike are doing both on and off the court. It doesn’t come as a surprise though (except maybe Mike’s discipline and leadership over the last few games). It isn’t fair that their excellent performances get lost in the mix, but it’s a fact of life. If anything it’s a compliment. We expected them to be awesome. So when they bring all-conference level play nobody even talks about it.

2/05/2021 8:25 pm  #72

WashPaRick wrote:

Whoever had Watson in the first half did a good job.

Dayton hitting threes against Mason. Ibi has 5 with 7 minutes to go.

Board footera