Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2021 3:19 pm  #26

Re: DUKES NEED A KICK ASS INTRO SONG WHEN THE FANS FINALLY ATTEND

"Dinosaur Rock"!!!!! Hey '81, I just listened to the 18 minute In-Gadda-Da-Vida yesterday! Both of my boys were high school drummers and that drum solo always blew them away!!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

2/07/2021 4:56 pm  #27

duq81 wrote:

Got to be something the players like. No Motown or dinosaur rock. Even Lil Wayne and 50 Cent are now played out. 20 year olds don't want music from 15 years ago.

Duq81 I disagree was there anything better then The Chronic, Dr. Dre,  EasyE & Snoop Dog. 

2/07/2021 5:32 pm  #28

"With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now, entertain us"

Why not?  Proven to work in a gym (and perhaps in a pandemic).
https://www.youtube.com/watch/hTWKbfoikeg

2/07/2021 5:39 pm  #29

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

With the lights out, it's less dangerous

Why not is right. Great tune. I know it's way overplayed, but Crazy Train is overplayed for a reason because t gets the crowd fired up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2VZjE6JdHg

2/07/2021 6:01 pm  #30

I' m having a hard time coming up with with anything. Would of been easier 4 years ago when Flirting with Disaster from Molly Hatchet or perhaps the theme from Archie Bunker would fit.

Last edited by WashPaRick (2/07/2021 6:31 pm)

2/07/2021 6:19 pm  #31

WashPaRick wrote:

I' m having a hard time coming up with with anything. Would of been easier 4 years ago when Flirting with Disaster from Molly Hatchett or perhaps the theme from Archie Bunker would fit.

Funny haven't thought of Molly Hatchet for years until a couple nights ago when this very song came to me in a dream. Woke up singing it. Pretty weird man.

2/07/2021 6:32 pm  #32

Rayrich wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

I' m having a hard time coming up with with anything. Would of been easier 4 years ago when Flirting with Disaster from Molly Hatchett or perhaps the theme from Archie Bunker would fit.

Funny haven't thought of Molly Hatchet for years until a couple nights ago when this very song came to me in a dream. Woke up singing it. Pretty weird man.

Guess I stuck an extra t on Hatchet.

2/07/2021 6:51 pm  #33

WashPaRick wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Guess I stuck an extra t on Hatchet.

"We're just a school whose intentions are good.  Oh Lord why must we be misunderstood?"

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/07/2021 10:15 pm  #34

Ironduke81 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Got to be something the players like. No Motown or dinosaur rock. Even Lil Wayne and 50 Cent are now played out. 20 year olds don't want music from 15 years ago.

Duq81 I disagree was there anything better then The Chronic, Dr. Dre,  EasyE & Snoop Dog. 

I liked that stuff, but I'm now 62. Some young people like the classics, but most prefer the music of their era. For me, Funkadelic in their early 70s hard rock phase does it for me, but I don't expect most young folks to like it.

2/08/2021 8:58 am  #35

In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins, could be good.  Not sure how it would go over before a bball game, but if the whole intro was done, it might work.

2 young guys recently heard that song for the first time and their reaction on twitter was cool, they loved it.
Go to 4:50 mark   https://youtu.be/0l3-iufiywU

it even references the Lord.   What more do you need for a religious university?    :-)

Last edited by townsonkid (2/09/2021 9:24 am)

2/08/2021 9:13 am  #36

Ironduke81 wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

I agree with others that the students (and by extension players) are going to like different songs than us geezers. Having said that I actually had a dream about it last night...

The Coop goes dark. Smoke on the Water starts playing still in darkness. The video boards light up with video taken from a boat floating down the Ohio on a foggy day under the West End Bridge. The cymbals kick in as we float past Heinz Field, approach the Point Park fountain and get a view of downtown. The drums begin as as we continue under the Fort Pitt Bridge and down the Mon. The bass thumps begin as we pass Highmark Stadium and the Gateway Clipper. As we approach the 10th St. Bridge a drone takes off the from the boat, flies across the bridge, up to the bluff and over Rooney Field. The drums roll as we fly over the fountains on A-Walk. The drone continues down McAnulty, over Fisher and the Power Center, to PPG. Then it continues past Shale's and turns up Magee. Just as it reaches the Coop the video boards go dark, red and blue lights shine, we let off fog machines and the team runs out of the locker room onto the court as the song reaches "smoke on the water." Pyrotechnics go off from all four corners of the court as "fire in the sky" kicks in. The song continues playing in the background as the starters are introduced. 

We are the Bluffites, make that connection for anybody who doesn't know. We tried making the connection to the city with the skyline unis a couple years ago. Further that with the video intro. Pitt might have the city's name, but we are the team downtown. We need to make it ours. Smoke on the Water rocks. The original would be great, but the verses don't really work. So an instrumental other than the chorus would be best. It could even be played by the band if they still have a guitar in it. I know it's a pretty grand vision that won't even be approached in scale, but it was a cool dream so I had to share. The Coop was rocking in the dream and I know it would be if anything even close happened in real life.

Luckymed I got to admit I like your concept. Well done. As long as the English soccer lion is left out and the word fierce is not plastered on the board winner winner chicken dinner.

That would be fine if it was 1975!

2/08/2021 12:27 pm  #37

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I trust that you figured out that this comment was completely tongue-in-cheek. This site lacks a sarcasm button.

2/08/2021 1:12 pm  #38

Love it Phoenix and showing your creative side and I nominate you for  the official poet laureate of Duquesne Dukes Fan Forum 😀

2/08/2021 4:47 pm  #39

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I trust that you figured out that this comment was completely tongue-in-cheek. This site lacks a sarcasm button.

Phoenix Rising love it. In gym. Nirvana.Have not seen this used elsewhere.Originality. I still like Luckymcd Coop dark video on scoreboard. Showing the rivers city bluff & Duquesne campus(show a cross). Intro Smells like teen spirit...By the way with the Dukes on hold thanks to Covid good thread my friends.

2/08/2021 7:53 pm  #40

Ironduke81 wrote:

I still like Luckymcd Coop dark video on scoreboard. Showing the rivers city bluff & Duquesne campus(show a cross).

My idea came from a dream I had. I actually remember my dreams rarely enough that I had to share it. In the dream the drone (at least I assume it was, I only saw the video not how it was filmed) turned down McAnulty after going down A-Walk. It certainly could fly over the chapel and show the cross at the top of the steeple or continue toward Rockwell and show the cross there instead.

2/09/2021 8:59 pm  #41

My grandchildren vote for Baby Shark.

2/09/2021 9:42 pm  #42

Someone mentioned Nirvana. They blew up 30 years ago. The issue, as it always is, is that for older folks, 25 years ago seems recent. For young people, it's an eon. 1991 to current young folks is as distant as 1951 was for us back in 81. I don't think any of us would have been hyped up by a 1951 Sinatra tune back in 81. The tunes from the 60s and 70s are as old as stuff from the 20s, and 30s was back then. The Steelers can get away with old tunes because they have an old fan base. We're trying to attract students, and other young people to the games. The middle age crowd is long lost to Pitt, and will only show up for big games like Dayton, especially if it's at PPG. Got to attract the young if you want to build a new fanbase.

Last edited by duq81 (2/09/2021 9:43 pm)

2/09/2021 9:48 pm  #43

We've used this before but I've always liked it, Welcome to the Jungle. I bet you could find something from ACDC to get the place rockin.

2/10/2021 9:22 am  #44

duq81 wrote:

Someone mentioned Nirvana. They blew up 30 years ago. The issue, as it always is, is that for older folks, 25 years ago seems recent. For young people, it's an eon. 1991 to current young folks is as distant as 1951 was for us back in 81. I don't think any of us would have been hyped up by a 1951 Sinatra tune back in 81. The tunes from the 60s and 70s are as old as stuff from the 20s, and 30s was back then. The Steelers can get away with old tunes because they have an old fan base. We're trying to attract students, and other young people to the games. The middle age crowd is long lost to Pitt, and will only show up for big games like Dayton, especially if it's at PPG. Got to attract the young if you want to build a new fanbase.

I couldn't agree more with this outlook. I like a lot of stuff being mentioned on here, but I agree that in order to get the students to attend, you need to appeal to them. Playing intro songs from the 70s and 80s probably will not do that. Not that playing any song is going to do it. Winning obviously is where it starts. Maybe once the young people get a taste of it, they'll find this "new music" that a lot of us old people are familiar with to be quite innovative. Who knows? 

2/10/2021 10:18 am  #45

its impossible to compare a football entrance to a bball team/game entrance.   
The player intros are more of a place/time to put together some kind of package with video, music, good announcer, lights, cheerleaders.    

2/11/2021 10:59 am  #46

townsonkid wrote:

The player intros are more of a place/time to put together some kind of package with video, music, good announcer, lights, cheerleaders.    

On that note I have always like West Virginia's response to the visiting team's starting lineup in basketball. Guy holds up signs with "Who Cares?"  "Go Home" etc.  Always thought that was clever.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/11/2021 12:35 pm  #47

Tejas_Duke wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

On that note I have always like West Virginia's response to the visiting team's starting lineup in basketball. Guy holds up signs with "Who Cares?"  "Go Home" etc.  Always thought that was clever.

My second favorite team WVU. Post game after a football or basketball win the fans sing along with John Denver’s Country Home. Very cool experience. Hopefully, Duquesne picks something which gets 100% of the fans & students to participate either pre tip off or post victory celebration. Create a tradition. In this regime I TRUST👊👏🏽🌈👍

2/11/2021 12:35 pm  #48

None of this matters unless you get people, preferably students  to go to the games; get involved, make noise and care about the outcome.  The Coop will certainly be an upgrade, perhaps even an attraction, but the Student Body is still made up of the same demographic, and they have proven to be oblivious to basketball games as a social event.  I hope I'm wrong, but why do we think that will change?  

2/11/2021 7:01 pm  #49

Oh, it will change all right -- when Duquesne reaches the top 25 and the games become an event. That is the first step to changing everything. I trust it will happen with this leadership. It happened with Richmond, VCU, Saint Louis and anyone else. It happened with St. Joe's, with Rhode Island, Xavier, Temple, George Mason, Butler, George Washington, UMass... Yes, I'm naming some past schools, too, but it's the Atlantic 10. So why not Duquesne? Once this program becomes relevant again, I'm optimistic there will be enough students on board to make a difference.

2/13/2021 12:34 pm  #50

Crosseye wrote:

Oh, it will change all right -- when Duquesne reaches the top 25 and the games become an event. That is the first step to changing everything. I trust it will happen with this leadership. It happened with Richmond, VCU, Saint Louis and anyone else. It happened with St. Joe's, with Rhode Island, Xavier, Temple, George Mason, Butler, George Washington, UMass... Yes, I'm naming some past schools, too, but it's the Atlantic 10. So why not Duquesne? Once this program becomes relevant again, I'm optimistic there will be enough students on board to make a difference.

100% spot on. Everyone loves a big winner.

Board footera