Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2021 3:13 pm  #1

2/16/2021 3:54 pm  #2

Re: Mason Game Postponed - Dukes To Play Richmond Saturday

The A10 has not done the Dukes any favors.  I'm sure Dambrot and Harper are screaming.

2/16/2021 4:18 pm  #3

Well on the plus side, we get to be on national TV Saturday. So Richmond gets a home game against us instead of a road game against LaSalle, Bonaventure gets a second game against George Mason added instead of a second game with GW. GW, which last played Jan. 17, gets a home game against Rhode Island on Sunday instead of Bonaventure. I've wondered if the A10 would alter the schedule to favor the teams that have a shot at an at-large bid but not really sure what to make of this reshuffling. 

2/16/2021 4:38 pm  #4

If the A10 tournament is played, the only fair way is no teams are given any bye.  Everybody plays same number of games.

2/16/2021 5:32 pm  #5

Looking less and less realistic to play all these postponed A-10 games. There are 5 left after Richmond next Saturday. If the tournament starts on the 10th, the last game should be no later than the 7th. LaSalle is still on the schedule so that's 6 games total in 15 days--and that's if the weather and Covid-19 cooperate. 

Agree league did us no favor postponing another game. We could have played tomorrow and Saturday if the roads are OK.

2/16/2021 6:22 pm  #6

CLK wrote:

If the A10 tournament is played, the only fair way is no teams are given any bye.  Everybody plays same number of games.

Agree CLK especially since certain teams in the bottom half have been screwed in the rescheduling process.

2/16/2021 6:24 pm  #7

DennisC91 wrote:

Well on the plus side, we get to be on national TV Saturday. So Richmond gets a home game against us instead of a road game against LaSalle, Bonaventure gets a second game against George Mason added instead of a second game with GW. GW, which last played Jan. 17, gets a home game against Rhode Island on Sunday instead of Bonaventure. I've wondered if the A10 would alter the schedule to favor the teams that have a shot at an at-large bid but not really sure what to make of this reshuffling. 

Pretty obvious that the A10 has indeed reshuffled to benefit Richmond, USL, VCU, Davidson, and St. Bonnie

2/16/2021 6:27 pm  #8

CLK wrote:

You can’t play a 14 team tournament with all teams playing the same number of games unless the bottom six teams don’t make the tournament. 

Fairest way would be to seed by winning percentage.   And play tournament format  of the A10 women.  Only top two aeeds get bye.   In first round, 3 plays 14, 4 plays 13 etc.   Eliminating 6 teams.   Teams are then reseeded for second round.   The A10 women play the first round games at the site of the higher seed.   But since Richmond and VCU are hosts they would probably have all teams go to Virgina. 

The only teams that would play one less game are the one and two seeds.   

But they would have to announce this shortly because changing the tournament format at the last minute would probably not be widely accepted.

2/16/2021 6:27 pm  #9

I thought the release said the postponement was not Covid related.  Then why?  The folks on the GM board aren't happy either ... there's speculation the A10 is playing games with the schedule to help improve the resume of member teams on the bubble.

2/16/2021 6:33 pm  #10

indygjm wrote:

I thought the release said the postponement was not Covid related.  Then why?  The folks on the GM board aren't happy either ... there's speculation the A10 is playing games with the schedule to help improve the resume of member teams on the bubble.

Of course they are.   And they should.   Yes, we get screwed but there is no income coming in.   The conference needs TV two tournament shares.  It will always be the Covid year tournament anyway.

It may not be done with the blessing of the coaches but I bet the ADs who will have massive budget deficits to deal with for years to come are on board.   I rather see the A10 get two bids and assistant coaches not lose jobs than DU play George Mason.

Last edited by A83 (2/16/2021 6:50 pm)

2/16/2021 7:08 pm  #11

A83 wrote:

CLK wrote:

You can’t play a 14 team tournament with all teams playing the same number of games unless the bottom six teams don’t make the tournament.

Fairest way would be to seed by winning percentage. And play tournament format of the A10 women. Only top two aeeds get bye. In first round, 3 plays 14, 4 plays 13 etc. Eliminating 6 teams. Teams are then reseeded for second round. The A10 women play the first round games at the site of the higher seed. But since Richmond and VCU are hosts they would probably have all teams go to Virgina.

The only teams that would play one less game are the one and two seeds.

But they would have to announce this shortly because changing the tournament format at the last minute would probably not be widely accepted.

Made the statement before I did the math.  I like your suggestion however, nothing is really fair as UMass may just Covid cancel their way to one of the top two teams.   

2/16/2021 7:12 pm  #12

UMass very well could.  But then they play their first tournament game with their last game being 2/6.    I don’t think they want to do that.

2/16/2021 7:36 pm  #13

You could seed by Net rankings as well.

2/16/2021 8:52 pm  #14

Not to get too technical here but this is nuts!

2/17/2021 7:45 am  #15

I'm kind of happy to play another good team. If we're really a threat, we should be competitive here.

2/17/2021 8:16 am  #16

duq81 wrote:

I'm kind of happy to play another good team. If we're really a threat, we should be competitive here.

I'm expecting a very competitive Duquesne team to  show up Saturday. If we keep up the good defensive pressure it could lead to some good things even against a pretty strong Richmond squad. Think this will be another nail biter!

2/17/2021 9:45 am  #17

El Presidente wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I'm expecting a very competitive Duquesne team to  show up Saturday. If we keep up the good defensive pressure it could lead to some good things even against a pretty strong Richmond squad. Think this will be another nail biter!

My concern is that the team will not be sharp after an 18 day layoff and having to face Richmond. The last minute cancel of the George Mason game didn't give the Dukes any chance to maneuver to get another game on the schedule.
Compare this to Richmond.  They are scheduled to play VCU tonight in a potential NCAA at large enhancer game after what was supposed to be a 22 day layoff.  Concerned about their layoff, Richmond scheduled D3 St. Mary's College of Maryland this past Sunday to shake off the rust before the important VCU game.
I'm hoping that VCU takes some energy/emotion out of Richmond before they face the Dukes less than 72 hours later.

2/17/2021 10:57 am  #18

duq81 wrote:

If the conference really is lining up good games for the better teams we should be thankful. Richmond has wins over Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Loyola Chicago, Davidson, and Rhode Island. They must think we are a good team. Unfortunately we don't have any chance at an at-large bid. We need to be playing our best come tournament time. So I'd rather have a tune up game. If we are playing the way we were before the break we certainly can beat Richmond and pick up a good win. It's hard to do that after two and a half weeks off though, especially when you can't practice for most of that. I certainly don't want to avoid the better teams we missed during the season. I'd just rather have an easier game to get back into the groove, then play the good teams, then head into the tournament and hopefully win it.

2/17/2021 11:02 am  #19

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

duq81 wrote:

My concern is that the team will not be sharp after an 18 day layoff and having to face Richmond. The last minute cancel of the George Mason game didn't give the Dukes any chance to maneuver to get another game on the schedule.
Compare this to Richmond.  They are scheduled to play VCU tonight in a potential NCAA at large enhancer game after what was supposed to be a 22 day layoff.  Concerned about their layoff, Richmond scheduled D3 St. Mary's College of Maryland this past Sunday to shake off the rust before the important VCU game.
I'm hoping that VCU takes some energy/emotion out of Richmond before they face the Dukes less than 72 hours later.

Ditto that! VCU will be a tough game for the Spiders playing on the road. Could be a natural letdown when they face us especially if they beat the Rams.

2/17/2021 11:49 am  #20

duq81 wrote:

AMEN!!!

2/17/2021 2:10 pm  #21

Any word if Maceo will be back this weekend, or even at all this year?  If its been discussed, I missed it.

2/18/2021 8:16 am  #22

VCU looked very strong last night. Richmond will be a tough out now for certain this Saturday. Don't expect a letdown on their part now. We will have to bring our best to have a chance in this one. VCU is athletic and was able to get to the rim surprisingly easy against the Spiders. Can we do that?  Will definitely have to have strong performances from our bigs and hit some perimeter shots to stay with them. These are the games that we need to win to be considered a viable program moving forward. GO DUKES!

2/18/2021 8:34 am  #23

El Presidente wrote:

VCU looked very strong last night. Richmond will be a tough out now for certain this Saturday. Don't expect a letdown on their part now. We will have to bring our best to have a chance in this one. VCU is athletic and was able to get to the rim surprisingly easy against the Spiders. Can we do that?  Will definitely have to have strong performances from our bigs and hit some perimeter shots to stay with them. These are the games that we need to win to be considered a viable program moving forward. GO DUKES!

Yes indeed VCU looked like the real deal. Richmond especially their center looked sluggish post covid release. I hope the Dukes can avoid post Covid return syndrome against the Spiders. 

2/18/2021 4:46 pm  #24

Presidente is right that this is the kind of game Duquesne needs to win to be taken seriously in this league.  We get absolutely no respect and no mention of Duquesne on the A-10 broadcasts.  They keep pushing URI  when they discuss the top tier of the league; but never Duquesne!
As far as the game last night; VCU had much more energy and “juice” than did Richmond.  The Spiders clearly looked like they had a Covid hangover; so it’s hard to judge either team by that game.  Richmond looke very passive, and got beat at their own game by VCU for several back door layups! 
I’m sure they will come out stronger against the Dukes on Saturday; so hopefully the Dukes can match their intensity.  Knowing that your team was basically set up for failure by the A-10 in this game should be incentive enough to go in and beat them.

2/19/2021 12:39 pm  #25

So our game against Mason is canceled so that Bonaventure could get in a game against Mason--that wasn't even on the schedule--last night. That game gets canceled due to inclement weather. A10's really batting 1000.

Board footera