Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2021 7:15 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Richmond Spiders

I was still at work for the start of the game. I recorded it, but didn't get to see the beginning on the app. I don't know how they got down so much so fast. Once the broadcast switched over they looked pretty good. Baker came up big again. His points seem to come in bunches and always get the team going. Hughes played with the fire we usually see from Weathers (not that I'm selling Hughes normal hustle short). He has truly become a senior leader. We lose by double digits if not for him. The layoff seemed to hurt Weathers. Obviously the foul trouble didn't help. The energy was there, but he just looked off most of the game. Harris picked up alot of the slack for Weathers. He isn't as far along as Baker, but looks like he has a similarly bright future. Good to see Austin back on the court, but unfortunately he looked like he did in his first year and a half. Even ignoring the missed foul shots he just didn't seem to contribute. Hopefully he can find his game again. TDM is what he's been for three years, a volume shooter. He'll take shots you think he should never take. He'll make some and prove you wrong, he'll miss more and show why we don't want those shots. He has added some great passing to his game though.

I didn't like how closely the refs were calling it, but they were consistent. That's the most important thing when it comes to refereeing, just call it the same way both ways; and I think they did. I don't know who Ron Thompson is, but I think he's a good announcer. Jack Collinsworth completes a good crew for NBCSN. I'm impressed with his switch from football to basketball and player to play-by-play guy. Both guys clearly do their homework for the broadcast, and it shows. 

2/20/2021 7:15 pm  #27

Good game.   Hughes was a beast.   Coulda used a couple outside shots to drop.   They got those 2 loose ball 3s to really change everything.

2/20/2021 7:21 pm  #28

MikeR wrote:

We call off our D and Richmond lobbies for an extra 3 points. Classy.

Dont stop playing defense then.   🤷🏻‍♂️

2/20/2021 7:31 pm  #29

This team like all the teams KD has coached here never quits.The Dukes play hard and played well
considering the season was interrupted again for 17 days.For anyone to be critical of any player is just
plain wrong.TDM had to reinvent himself to running the team and I appreciate all the clutch shots he 
has made throughout his career.He is tough and provides leadership.The team could have folded a
long time ago but playing pretty well.The team has bonded through a pandemic disaster.

2/20/2021 7:58 pm  #30

As mentioned Dukes could have folded when down early but,as is typical of a KD team, battled back and came very close in this one. Three seniors and all others freshmen and a sophomore. This team is playing better than anyone could have expected. Kudos to KD, staff, and the players who played their hearts out. Good to see Maceo on the floor.

2/20/2021 8:01 pm  #31

luckymcd, Ron Thompson is the son of John Thompson. Was a head coach for a year at Ball St. he knows the game.

I do think that Gilyard was attempting to shoot that last shot after the buzzer. The ref standing there waived it off, but I guess he was overruled.

2/20/2021 8:18 pm  #32

townsonkid wrote:

MikeR wrote:

Dont stop playing defense then. 🤷🏻‍♂️

What team in your own conference do you do that to especially if you have a chance of meeting them down the road for a possible NCAA tourney berth? Up by 4 with 5 seconds to go against a team you've beaten 20 times in a row. No respect. It just isn't seen anymore. It's called respect, or in this case NO respect.

2/20/2021 8:42 pm  #33

Rayrich wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

MikeR wrote:

What team in your own conference do you do that to especially if you have a chance of meeting them down the road for a possible NCAA tourney berth? Up by 4 with 5 seconds to go against a team you've beaten 20 times in a row. No respect. It just isn't seen anymore. It's called respect, or in this case NO respect.

You think Richmond cares?    Or the Dukes?   about that shot?   I dont.    Ot sure why we are even discussing it here. 

Our guys played a good game today.  Couple bounces went Richmond’s way.

2/20/2021 8:53 pm  #34

luckymcd wrote:

I was still at work for the start of the game. I recorded it, but didn't get to see the beginning on the app. I don't know how they got down so much so fast. Once the broadcast switched over they looked pretty good. Baker came up big again. His points seem to come in bunches and always get the team going. Hughes played with the fire we usually see from Weathers (not that I'm selling Hughes normal hustle short). He has truly become a senior leader. We lose by double digits if not for him. The layoff seemed to hurt Weathers. Obviously the foul trouble didn't help. The energy was there, but he just looked off most of the game. Harris picked up alot of the slack for Weathers. He isn't as far along as Baker, but looks like he has a similarly bright future. Good to see Austin back on the court, but unfortunately he looked like he did in his first year and a half. Even ignoring the missed foul shots he just didn't seem to contribute. Hopefully he can find his game again. TDM is what he's been for three years, a volume shooter. He'll take shots you think he should never take. He'll make some and prove you wrong, he'll miss more and show why we don't want those shots. He has added some great passing to his game though.

I didn't like how closely the refs were calling it, but they were consistent. That's the most important thing when it comes to refereeing, just call it the same way both ways; and I think they did. I don't know who Ron Thompson is, but I think he's a good announcer. Jack Collinsworth completes a good crew for NBCSN. I'm impressed with his switch from football to basketball and player to play-by-play guy. Both guys clearly do their homework for the broadcast, and it shows. 

I would be remiss if I didn't compliment TDM for taking much better care of the ball over the team's recent 4-game stretch. He is rocking a cool 3:1 assist to turnover ratio while averaging better than 5 dimes a game. That is a huge improvement from the first 5 games after Sin's departure.

2/20/2021 8:56 pm  #35

townsonkid wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

You think Richmond cares? Or the Dukes? about that shot? I dont. Ot sure why we are even discussing it here.

Our guys played a good game today. Couple bounces went Richmond’s way.

Yes the Dukes fought hard. I'd hope it's being discussed in the Dukes locker room. That was beyond BS. Couple bounces and calls went Richmond's way. Each time the the Dukes tied or took the lead a phantom call was called 30 feet from the basket hence yet another close loss to the Spiders. I think that's 15 out of 20 straight losses to them by 6 points or less. How is that even possible?

2/20/2021 9:18 pm  #36

They could have won. The killer was a richmond miss that michael hughes got his hands on. The ball got tipped around, n through nothing but fate  Richmond got the ball. The game was tied. I believe it was around the 1 minute mark. If they play again, the Dukes will win. Acuff needs more minutes

2/20/2021 9:30 pm  #37

They've certainly had our number.

2/20/2021 10:22 pm  #38

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

luckymcd, Ron Thompson is the son of John Thompson. Was a head coach for a year at Ball St. he knows the game.

I thought it might have been something like that when I heard the last name, but it's such a common name I didn't want to assume. He must not have been a very good coach if he only lasted a year, but I've thought he did a really good job in both of our games he's called.

2/20/2021 10:28 pm  #39

I just rewatched the 2nd half. Maceo did some very good things that can't possibly show up in the box score like deflections, sound defense, getting the team organized/initiating the offense from the flair set, & hockey assists. He found Baker with a fantastic pass late for a very open 3 that clanked. He also got hosed in the box score. They didn't write him down for any assists even though he definitely had 2 (1 to Hughes & 1 to Harris) & probably would have gotten credit for a third (Weathers) at home. They also missed/ignored either another rebound or steal when he caught an airball.

Marcus taking that ill-advised turn-around, fadeaway jumper from the right side with 7-9 seconds left on the shot clock is poor execution at that stage of the game. That isn't a shot he can make at a decent percentage + there was time to calmly pass it back out. In that situation, they have to get something going toward the basket or a reasonably open shot for Baker. You could never accuse Marcus of being a ball hog. That is not the kind of player he is but, you would also have a hard time endorsing him as the late-game decision-maker.  He almost always makes such a positive impact that it is perhaps unfair to nitpick him for that shot & failing to convert the and-1 down the stretch. 

Another poster pointed out that KD's teams don't quit. That is true. It is becoming a really great part of the culture. They know they have the skill, experience, & heart to take over a game after a rough start. These guys are resilient. 

While it is not as bad as it was the first 2 years, I still find it maddening how often the same players can look lost & tired for the opening 7-8 minutes only to be the obviously more energetic team for the remainder of the game.

2/21/2021 8:08 am  #40

Let's win the next 2 and go into the tourney on a high note.

2/21/2021 8:43 am  #41

I'm gearing up for at least 4 or 5 more wins this year. I was totally impressed by how we came back yesterday and almost won. As stated, in that kind of game a bounce or two one way or the other was the difference. I believe we are Richmond's equal and totally competitive with every other A-10 team. This year's team is stronger than last year's defensively and physically. The offense is coming around just in time as well. Let's keep the faith! Just wish we could support our Dukes in person!! LET'S GO DUKES!

2/21/2021 9:14 am  #42

Great effort by the Dukes against a very experienced and well coached Richmond team. Good news Coach Mooney will be leaving Richmond for either Vanderbilt or Penn State.Senior class graduating disgruntled fans with the billboard “fire Mooney” this summer  not forgotten by the Coach. Coach Dambrots teams are the comeback kids because he demands defense. However, one crucial point in the game involved TDM who I love. When the Dukes tied the game I expected Coach Dambrot to substitute with one of his lengthy Freshman. Not to be critical but TDM is a defensive liability. It is what it is....Everyone has strengths & weaknesses. In regard to Maceo he played sound but needs to score & attack the basket. Finally play Acuff more then 12 minutes. Can’t drop the ball against RI & Lasalle Run the table in Richmond. 

2/21/2021 9:18 am  #43

El Presidente wrote:

I'm gearing up for at least 4 or 5 more wins this year. I was totally impressed by how we came back yesterday and almost won. As stated, in that kind of game a bounce or two one way or the other was the difference. I believe we are Richmond's equal and totally competitive with every other A-10 team. This year's team is stronger than last year's defensively and physically. The offense is coming around just in time as well. Let's keep the faith! Just wish we could support our Dukes in person!! LET'S GO DUKES!

I like the positivity. I'm not quite there myself, but we had been playing great defense before the pause and last night was a pretty good performance offensively. If we can put them together we can definitely beat anybody in the A-10 and even make some noise in the Big Dance.

I rewatched the last 10 minutes after another poster was complaining about the refs. Upon watching it live I thought it was a very tightly called game, but a fairly called game, as the refs were consistent. On second viewing I could see what they were saying. There were real ticky tack calls two of the three times we pulled even. Still I think complaining about the refs costing us a game is below the team we have now.

I'd go with what you said. The game was decided by a bounce here or there that favored Richmond. We were very close to a couple steals that they ended up saving and had a few rebounds go there way off tips. If we get those maybe we win. Keep in mind they beat Kentucky, Wofford, Northern Iowa, Vanderbilt, Loyola-Chicago, and Davidson. In a normal year those could all be tournament teams, and Loyola has been in the top ten this year.

Sadly we are at a point that it's tourney win or bust. We don't have any chance at an at-large bid, and even the NIT seems like a long shot. So we need to continue to gel. The team is good enough that a run in the A-10 tourney would not be a fluke. We just need to pull all the good things we've been doing together.

2/21/2021 11:52 am  #44

duq81 wrote:

TDM is such a weak spot. I hope he doesn't come back.

I know. I can't stand when he flings up poor three point shots with less than five minutes to go in a one or barely two possession game.

Tired of this

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/21/2021 12:11 pm  #45

I agree about when he shoots. For me, It’s not that he misses, it’s that he doesn’t judge what is going on around him, what just happened, when he should pass or shoot in certain scenarios. This isn’t an area that he has improved much. Go Dukes.

2/21/2021 3:23 pm  #46

Hughes is a man! Rony Thompson called him the best big man in the league. I concur. The guy passes the ball and still scores 20 with almost a double double.
A couple other things I would comment on (and probably get roasted for by some) - TDM is a very good passing guard and I'd take him on my team any day. He plays better defense than he gets credit for, too. Yes, his shots haven't fallen, but I like him. He's a tough hombre, a very good leader.
Austin did a lot of good things that one poster said doesn't show up in the box score. This guy is a basketball player. You need guys like this on your team. Maybe he's not a starter or cut out to be a big-time scorer, but he's a regular in my book. He's won a lot of games at the high school level and knows how to be part of winning. I like him and I'm glad he stuck around. Unlike others who quit on their team, so far he hasn't. I guess we'll see.
I think Dambrot is using his roster very nicely. Some guys play more one game and less another. The good coaches know how to shuffle the deck. He's a good coach. Maybe even better than good. When you have guys responding like these guys are, what can you say? Kudos to the staff and this team. That game was there for the taking against a team that has appeared in the top 25 this season.

2/21/2021 3:41 pm  #47

In regard to Maceo need production point wise from 2. & 3. What 3-4 Star recruit out of Kennedy Christian. Maybe   former 5 star center at WVU. had something to do with his success. zero point production at this spot does not cut it if you are going to win the A10. Play the freshman

2/21/2021 3:50 pm  #48

Good points both ways about TOM and I know that we lost but I actually liked what I saw overall yesterday! The Dukes can make some noise in the A 10 tournament if they play with the intensity that I think that I saw yesterday and they get a few more bounces and take a few better shots! Let's Go Dukes!

2/21/2021 11:35 pm  #49

FAM wrote:

I agree about when he shoots. For me, It’s not that he misses, it’s that he doesn’t judge what is going on around him, what just happened, when he should pass or shoot in certain scenarios. This isn’t an area that he has improved much. Go Dukes.

Well said. That is what I find most frustrating about this 5th year senior.

Ironically, I am predicting that he catches 🔥 in one of the next 3 games allowing the Dukes a rare, easy
conference victory. He's just that kind of player. Game 1 in Richmond would be the perfect time for his jumper to make its triumphant return. Shot selection be damned!

Board footera