Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2021 4:57 pm  #1

Game Thread - La Salle Explorers

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 02/24/2021 at the Tom Gola Arena, Philadelphia, PA
Dukes #108 KenPom / #130 NET (7-7; 6-6) vs La Salle Explorers #191 KenPom / #194 NET (8-14; 5-10)

Game prediction: Dukes win by 4, 71-67 - Dukes with 64% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 4 point favorites; Over/Under 140
Duquesne 8-6 Against the Spread; La Salle 9-11-1 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Dayton (76); Rhode Island (84); UNC Greensboro (107)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Little Rock (232); George Washington (196)
La Salle Best Win(s): Saint Louis (52); Richmond (59); Dayton (76)
La Salle Worst Loss(es): Fordham (290); Saint Joseph's (211); Army (192)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at La Salle for the season (national ranking out of 357 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (333)
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  FT Rate (274); Effective FG % (260)

Here's a look at La Salle in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (12)
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (4)  
Defensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (14); FT Rate (14); Offensive Rebound % (11)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 357 teams):
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (271)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (37)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (12)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (1)
Defensive Weakness:  FT Rate (11)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
La Salle Adj Offense Efficiency - 103.4, #160 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 96.4, #65 in D-1
La Salle Adj Defense Efficiency - 105.7, #241 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 103.3, #162 in D-1
La Salle Adj Tempo - 68.2, #176 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.8, #203 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - La Salle 1.32 yrs, #294 in D-1; Dukes 1.69 yrs, #202 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - La Salle 48.6%, #153 in D-1; Dukes 53.5%, #111 in D-1
Average Height - La Salle 76.7", #207 in D-1; Dukes 76.2", #271 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 116th in the country.
La Salle is 172nd in the country.
Automated Game Preview: https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=4673&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

2/23/2021 10:45 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - La Salle Explorers

This is definitely a game we should win. We are definitely the better team. If we play the way we were before the pause or even like we did against Richmond we will. They inexplicably have dominated the series though.

Richmond, Davidson, VCU, Dayton, Bonaventure dominate our series, but they have good teams. LaSalle has been pretty similar to us over the last 30 years. They've made one tournament since 92. Since joining the A-10 in 95 they are 95 games below .500 in the conference. They've only been above .500 in 4 of those 26 conference seasons (the same number as us). Yet they've won 8 of the last 11 against us. They have won the last 5 games in Philly by a combined 65 points. Going back further they've won 31 of the last 47. We've only beaten them in Philly 5 times in the last 40 years.

The game will probably be decided on the perimeter. They shoot the three well, but we defend the deep ball very well. Despite our best two scorers being inside guys we continue to fall in love with the three ball. So we will need to knock some down to win. They have a lot of length, but still don't defend very well. So I think we'll be able to make those shots.

When we do miss look for us to crash the boards hard, which could make the difference in a close game. They allow a lot of offensive rebounds, and we've been pretty good at that. Taking care of the ball will be key too. We've done a surprisingly good job of that since Carry left. So I think we'll be alright, they do force a lot of turnovers though. Foul trouble has been a big X factor for us, but luckily LaSalle doesn't get to the line very often. 

We have the better players and I think this is a good matchup for us. If we just look at our last six games and their last four it shouldn't even be close (86-66 Dukes based just on those ten games). Recent history says it will be a close game though and their lack of a go to guy will be the difference. Dukes 71 Explorers 68.

2/24/2021 8:46 am  #3

Point guard Jamie Brickus outstanding Freshman for LaSalle. Loves to penetrate & dish. TDM & Bill Belichick must step up. If problem & Lasallle controls the game play Acufff needs to play more  then 10 minutes. Duquesne if legitimate A10 contender must win on the road.
Hughes & Weathers with Dre Harris are top of the food chain for the bigs in the A10. Need to play guards that can hit an open shot. Go Dukes.

2/24/2021 10:39 am  #4

I'm with you Iron Duke, KD is still trumpeting Bekela, but as I've said before I don't like playing 4 on 5 offensively and MB doesn't have the athleticism, size or offensive ability of Acuff - one of your highest rated and sought after recruits KD.  We will not be top of the food chain without better quality/talent guard play and who wants to argue that MB fits that bill?  Moreover, who believes MB even gets a scholie if not to try to appease SC????  Finally, tell me who else offered MB in the first place????!!!!

2/24/2021 11:25 am  #5

Been saying the same thing re: Acuff for several weeks. To top it off, when he gets time his performances have gotten better

2/24/2021 11:34 am  #6

Look for Marcus Weathers to have a huge game tonight.  If Mike Hughes can stay out of foul trouble, I believe the Dukes are poised to win and cover the spread.

2/24/2021 2:02 pm  #7

Think we will need a great game from Marcus tonight and Mike to offset a lack of guard scoring lately. Maceo really needs to step up and provide some much needed offense. I too would like to see more minutes from Acuff. KD obviously believes that the team is better when MB is on the floor. Really don't want to argue with that but, as stated, Acuff was the much more highly recruited athlete and should have a much higher ceiling than MB moving forward. At any rate we need this one badly tonight. GO DUKES!

2/24/2021 2:38 pm  #8

I know this Board exists for the purpose of fan discussion and opinions on the team. I guess questioning coaching decisions is part of the package; but does anyone think that KD is playing a particular player if he doesn't feel it helps the team play better?  Why would he try to make a point of playing anyone who was hurting the team?  We've all heard hundreds of times that players can affect the outcome of games in a positive manner without necessarily having it show up in the stats.  Defense and facilitating for the other players on offense also helps the team win.  I don't really care who gets more minutes if the outcome is a win!  

2/24/2021 4:11 pm  #9

Well if Acuff gets limited playing time I may start the equivalent of Free Britney Spears” Free Tyson Acuff Coach.😂

2/24/2021 4:25 pm  #10

Completely agree that Acuff has a higher upside than Bekelja, but has Bekelja really taken playing time from Acuff? In the recent three-game winning streak, with Bekelja starting and playing 26-27 minutes per game, Acuff had three of his highest minute totals of the season, averaging over 18 mpg. Against Richmond, Bekelja was replaced in the starting lineup by Okani and played just 5 minutes, all at the start of the second half, no? To Levon's point, the team didn't play particularly well with Bekelja in there, a 7-point halftime deficit soon ballooned to 14, forcing the Dukes to play catchup for the rest of the way. Bekelja was never heard from again in the game. The Dukes erased the deficit and twice took the lead but couldn't hold it. Takes a lot out of a team to come back from double-digits down multiple times in a game. Acuff only played 12 minutes, but it certainly wasn't because of Bekelja that his minutes were reduced. 

2/24/2021 4:45 pm  #11

Let me clarify a statement that I made earlier in the thread. I would like to see Tyson Acuff play more because I'm curious as to what he can do given 20-25 minutes a game. As I stated, I won't argue with KD's reasoning on anything. Just knowing that Tyson was a highly sought after recruit makes me want to see what he brings to the table. That simple. Don't want to see the team, incur a loss just to satisfy my curiosity!

2/24/2021 6:19 pm  #12

Big game for the Dukes especially if Davidson and Dayton lose tonight. Not sure of the dynamics come A-10 tourney seeding especially with in terms of teams like UMass and GWU. Richmond could drop their last two especially if St. Joe with Daly back continue to play well. Lets see how the night plays out. Beat Lasalle!

2/24/2021 7:13 pm  #13

Terrible first 5 minutes.

2/24/2021 7:44 pm  #14

UGLY!

2/24/2021 7:47 pm  #15

I haven't seen a first half that bad since the Army of the Potomac April 1861-April 1863

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/24/2021 7:50 pm  #16

IDK what is worse, our offense or the LaSalle broadcasting effort.     Lots of room to get better in the 2nd half.

2/24/2021 7:53 pm  #17

There are two halves for a reason. Let's hope we make the best of half number 2!
Liking Dre more and more.

2/24/2021 7:55 pm  #18

townsonkid wrote:

IDK what is worse, our offense or the LaSalle broadcasting effort. Lots of room to get better in the 2nd half.

Lol. Our offense. Tough to broadcast a game without a commentator.

2/24/2021 7:58 pm  #19

Hughes needs to step up.

2/24/2021 8:04 pm  #20

And shut up.

2/24/2021 8:08 pm  #21

Agree. Weathers is doing his part Hughes needs to do his.

2/24/2021 8:12 pm  #22

Guard play is beyond abysmal

2/24/2021 8:15 pm  #23

This coach has no control of his players. Embarrassing.

2/24/2021 8:15 pm  #24

WashPaRick wrote:

And shut up.

He failed at that. Blocks a shot and then gets T'd. Awful!

2/24/2021 8:17 pm  #25

Send Hughes packing.

Board footera