Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2021 8:54 pm  #1

Look in the Mirror KD

I just shut off this car wreck of a game with 5 minutes left and Dukes down by like 19.  What an abysmal performance to say the least and it starts with Dambrot.  This team was unprepared to play, the rotations make no sense, he continues to play Bekelja who is not A-10 level, no control over Hughes with the T's and from what I can tell no leadership.  We get close in the first half and Rotroff gets in and with everyone else KD had in at that time and we go down like 8 or 10 quickly.  Hey Keith, you will never be in the top of the A-10 when you play guys who are NOT A-10 level players.  This was just horrible to watch and Keith had no answers and again when we would get close he adjust the line-up and we would go right back down.  What happened to Kelly?  I guess he will be gone as well.  I like Acuff, but we need a seasoned solid PG and I hope we get one in the transfer portal that can help immediately.  TDM is no PG, plays out of control too much for my liking and is a liability defensively, but we don't have many options at this point.  Here is your shortened rotation for rest of season KD, Start TDM, Baker, Okani, MW and Hughes.  The only 3 guys off the bench should be Maceo, who I thought played well by the way, Dre (who is really coming on) and Acuff.  And a final question, why no Jett when you can't shoot the 3????  I am sorry, the kid should have been given a chance at least, especially in a year like this.  Very disappointed with the coaching and play tonight.  Mail in the season boys and let's just get ready for next year and the Spring recruiting period.  I hope we can tap into the portal to get a good PG and big, that is my wish.  Pistol out.

2/24/2021 10:20 pm  #2

Re: Look in the Mirror KD

Very discouraging,we are looking at a major rebuild next year unless Dambrot gets lucky bringing in quality
transfers at both guard positions.I dont think Acuff is the answer,doesnt seem very explosive.I need
a heavy dose of mind altering drugs after watching a team committ over 20 turnovers and  still win by 20.
It cant get much worse.

2/24/2021 10:27 pm  #3

Pistol - the only people to see the floor tonight who are not in your shortened rotation or off the bench were Bekelja with 6 minutes, Rotroff with 3 and Murphy with 4.  So, it's not like a great amount of floor time was wasted on them.  I think the only reason they entered the game was that KD was desperate to find someone who could get the team going.  The passing was atrocious - lazy floaters or rocket shot bounce passes that no one could handle.  We need that point guard quick enough to get to the rim or able to dish it off.  Finally, I wonder if the staff ever considered contracting with Micah Mason to help with the 3 point shooting?  For a while he was running a shooting academy.  I think he is still in the area but working in medical sales.  It sure couldn't hurt;. 

2/25/2021 8:13 am  #4

Often wondered why a great shooter like Micah, who was in the business of working to develop players shooting skills, couldn't be employed in some fashion by Duquesne. There was no finer 3 point shooter than Micah. Didn't he shoot over 50% from beyond the arc maybe his junior year? Someone can correct me if I have that wrong.

2/25/2021 8:50 am  #5

I was watching the game ""loosely" at a birthday party but i noticed at least 2 or 3 of those floater passes. Maybe they displayed a little post covid lack of sharpness. If i recall, they beat GW after covid then lost the following game to them looking to be in a funk.

2/25/2021 8:52 am  #6

El Presidente wrote:

Often wondered why a great shooter like Micah, who was in the business of working to develop players shooting skills, couldn't be employed in some fashion by Duquesne. There was no finer 3 point shooter than Micah. Didn't he shoot over 50% from beyond the arc maybe his junior year? Someone can correct me if I have that wrong.

56% in 2013-14, the best single season percentage in NCAA history. He's 4th best ever for his career. I didn't know he ran shooting camps, but we could certainly use that knowledge. Unfortunately I don't think it can be this season as I expect we are at the maximum number of coaches. You can have unlimited "consultants" but they aren't allowed to work with the players directly.

2/25/2021 10:21 am  #7

stew wrote:

Very discouraging,we are looking at a major rebuild next year unless Dambrot gets lucky bringing in quality
transfers at both guard positions.I dont think Acuff is the answer,doesnt seem very explosive.I need
a heavy dose of mind altering drugs after watching a team committ over 20 turnovers and  still win by 20.
It cant get much worse.

As I pointed out earlier, 20 turnovers at only 75% of the game!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/25/2021 1:43 pm  #8

stew wrote:

It cant get much worse.

I think they need to turn the offense over to Acuff now, right now, this season is lost, we'll get dunked on in the A10T, so let him become the floor general now, not next year and have to learn it.   He's quick enough.   He needs to be given the freedom to do his thing, not just pass it off all the time.

2/25/2021 7:08 pm  #9

townsonkid wrote:

stew wrote:

It cant get much worse.

I think they need to turn the offense over to Acuff now, right now, this season is lost, we'll get dunked on in the A10T, so let him become the floor general now, not next year and have to learn it.   He's quick enough.   He needs to be given the freedom to do his thing, not just pass it off all the time.

I concur. There is only a minute chance that these Dukes can win this tourney without some serious COVID problems for the other schools. Giving Acuff the start & committing to 25+ minutes for him allows him much-needed experience that he was deprived by the shortened season, a potential confidence boost going into next season, & the staff a long look at what he has to offer in serious game situations. He automatically offers more size, length, strength & defensive resistance than TDM. How bad could it possibly go?

I am in the camp of Tyson being a multipurpose guard rather than a traditional lead guard. He could grow into that job in time but that isn't what he is right now. However, assuming minimal roster turnover for next season, it is somewhat likely that next season will begin with him & another combo guard or forward in the backcourt. That is all the more reason to get him legit experience against quality opponents in "meaningful" games.

I would like to see Acuff & Maceo start the next 2 games. Maceo offers all of the qualities that KD touts in Bekelja with the bonus of being significantly more athletic, longer, taller, & more experienced. He plays very solid one-on-one defense along with excellent team defense. He played well last night contributing a variety of box score numbers while also making plenty of other positive, hard-to-measure contributions while minimizing mistakes. In the last 2 games, he has shown as much or more ability to organize & initiate the offense than anybody else on the roster. He plays a much smarter brand of basketball than the other candidates that could start next to Acuff. 

I also like the idea of starting this duo because the bench combination of Harris, TDM, & Okani has the potential to balance out the offense a bit while avoiding a big defensive letdown. Who knows, maybe coming off the bench would take some pressure off of TDM & get his shot going.

2/26/2021 7:43 am  #10

Combo guards are not point guards!  Are there no point guards with quickness and D-1 ability who would consider Duquesne?

2/26/2021 7:54 am  #11

What would the best definition of a combo guard be? What exactly are they a combination of?

2/26/2021 12:53 pm  #12

A combination of a one and a two guard; but from what I have seen they often fall short on point guard skills and if their scoring doesn’t hold up up in college; they don’t have much value at the D-1 level.  I like #1 well developed ball handling ability, to handle pressure defense and break a press with a combination of ball handling and speed.  #2 ability to see the court and get the ball to teammates in the right position on the court, #3 enough quickness to penetrate and kick or finish if necessary; #4 ability to defend on the ball.  #5 shotmaking from a distance Is so important today that a guy must be able to drain open 3’s at a respectable rate; so that teams can’t give him the open shot. 
I’ve seen my share of quick point guards skewer our defense over the years including the little guy with the pony tail from UMBC who gave us fits several years ago!  My point is that these guys don’t have to meet all of the metrics on size to drive defenses crazy; and they can be available to a program like Duquesne.

2/26/2021 2:25 pm  #13

THE SKY ISN'T FALLING BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF CLOUDS

My lowly opinion is that Coach is heavily responsible for the last game.  As folks have mentioned, other teams in the A-10 are handling the Pandemic and Coach isn't doing a good job.  In addition, as it is the end of the season, as weird as the season is, he still hasn't figured out who he wants at guard.  I think the majority of us can agree...not all...that after Sincere ran away Tavian has not weathered the storm (pun intended.).  Also, as another astute poster said, we always had the guards, it was the big folks we never had.  Now it is the opposite.  Finally, I like the idea of brining in a different coach with recruiting experience.  Unless someone quits...it ain't gonna happen'.    If anything, Coach is loyal.  I do believe that one of the issues in this recruiting is where he is going was fine for the MAC, but this league is one up from them and he is struggling a little.

Just my 3 cents...and to be open, I will be surprised, but happy...actually elated....if the Dukes win more than one game in the tournament.  Go Dukes!

2/26/2021 2:45 pm  #14

I honestly think it is a mixture of clouds and sun.  I really want our seniors to return.  They are a solid core.  I also believe we have four very promising freshman in Acuff, Okani, Baker and rising star Dr. Dre (as Ironduke81 calls him).  This is a lot of sun.

If the core returns, the clouds can go away very quickly.  Here is my prescription: Recruit a top notch transfer point guard who can penetrate and dish as well as shoot, and the best transfer SG/SF who can has proven he can shoot the three point shot at a high level.  There are going to be a bunch in the transfer pool, KD needs to identify, and close the sale.  You can backfill around these guys with existing players, other new recruits and hopefully Hima

If Hughes and Weathers don't return then it will be much harder.

2/26/2021 3:14 pm  #15

Will be another interesting offseason.   I wouldnt be shocked to hear any player on the roster today transfers.   Wouldnt be shocked if a transfer from Kentucky or Duke ends up here.    Welcome to college bball 2021.

2/26/2021 3:52 pm  #16

There is a lot of negativity floating around about KD which is absolutely appalling to see. First off I think all the seniors will be back next year since they can improve their stock in becoming pros overseas. That means another year for the freshman to learn, evolve, and get much stronger. The last game was horrible I will say that and was frustrating to watch but it is so hard to play a few games then get shutdown for a month and then finally start playing good only to be shutdown again. Every team has to deal with this I know but it never becomes normal for young kids. Especially it can be tough for shooters since you’re not getting in a rhythm in terms of playing regularly. In terms of TDM the guy can shoot the ball but it’s hard playing point and being a shooter. When they had Frankie Hughes, Eric Williams, and TDM it was a pick your poison cause all of them could shoot the ball while having a guy at point in Sincere Carry who played point for the majority of the game and conserved their energy. In terms of bringing in Micah that’s a waste of a hire no player being brought in is going to completely change their shooting form especially at this level. Also they have Ashton Gibbs on the staff who like him or not was a great shooter at Pitt. I understand the concern after a tough game but the program is moving up not down with KD and now the new arena. If he pulls out a winning record this year that would be 3 years in a row with a winning record when was the last time anybody saw that. As fans we need to trust the process KD is winning and has been able to recruit some players no one has wanted and make them good. That comes with a few misses every now and again like Brandon wade and rotroff but with the new facility we are more likely to bring even better players in. Trust the process!

2/26/2021 4:46 pm  #17

I hope "Dukes 412 with the "cooler heads" post, is absolutely correct. We know how rosters change so often in the college game that before next year we don't know what the roster will look like; but I doubt seriously that it will look like it does now.  Even beyond the decisions of the three seniors we'll probably see other movement among the current underclassmen.  There is no doubt that one or two guards with point guard skills and preferably speed must be added to the roster. If KD can attract a solid PG transfer to eat up most of the minutes, and perhaps add a freshman guard to augment the transfer it might be the answer.  Recruiting upgrades will be a must if Duquesne is to make a move in the A-10 and nationally.  Beyond a point guard, the roster needs a guy or two that has a scorer's mentality, and be a go-to guy down the stretch to close out games.  

Last edited by levon1975 (2/27/2021 6:49 am)

2/26/2021 5:18 pm  #18

Actually I think the board has been generally positive until the last game. A number of posters thought we could still get into the NCAA by winning the A-10 tournament.even after we lost a few early league games. Remember this was supposed to be the breakout year of the Dambrot era. That said, we have some positive signs for the future, particularly a new venue and better recruits who up to now could only be shown pictures of the new place. Once Covid is gone attendance will improve if for no other reason than curiosity. Once that subsides, fans will come but only if we win. As for this year, it will take a miracle whereas last week it looked like we were a darkhorse that could get that NCAA bid.

2/26/2021 7:02 pm  #19

Dukes412 wrote:

There is a lot of negativity floating around about KD which is absolutely appalling to see. First off I think all the seniors will be back next year since they can improve their stock in becoming pros overseas. That means another year for the freshman to learn, evolve, and get much stronger. The last game was horrible I will say that and was frustrating to watch but it is so hard to play a few games then get shutdown for a month and then finally start playing good only to be shutdown again. Every team has to deal with this I know but it never becomes normal for young kids. Especially it can be tough for shooters since you’re not getting in a rhythm in terms of playing regularly. In terms of TDM the guy can shoot the ball but it’s hard playing point and being a shooter. When they had Frankie Hughes, Eric Williams, and TDM it was a pick your poison cause all of them could shoot the ball while having a guy at point in Sincere Carry who played point for the majority of the game and conserved their energy. In terms of bringing in Micah that’s a waste of a hire no player being brought in is going to completely change their shooting form especially at this level. Also they have Ashton Gibbs on the staff who like him or not was a great shooter at Pitt. I understand the concern after a tough game but the program is moving up not down with KD and now the new arena. If he pulls out a winning record this year that would be 3 years in a row with a winning record when was the last time anybody saw that. As fans we need to trust the process KD is winning and has been able to recruit some players no one has wanted and make them good. That comes with a few misses every now and again like Brandon wade and rotroff but with the new facility we are more likely to bring even better players in. Trust the process!

412, I like the "trust the process" theme to your post. That seems appropriate given the despair caused by Wednesday's loss. You have reminded me of the potential recruiting power of having the new, beautiful, facilities.

In his 77 games as a Duke, TDM has the following field goal shooting percentages:
2-point shots-38.2%
3-point shots-33.6%
All field goals-34.9%

His true shooting percentage is ok as a result of having the majority of his makes come from 3pt shots & quality ft shooting.

Both his overall FG & FT percentages have gone down noticeably each year he has been at DU.

His best year as a Duke saw him shoot only 36.4% on field goals.

As a 5th year senior he is down to a shooting split line of 331/400/287. That is absolutely awful.

TDM has had some very important & memorable hot shooting games. That seems to earn him a bit more street cred than he deserves. If you were an opposing fan looking at a program before the game & saw a player with his numbers, you wouldn't be very concerned about him hurting your team.

2/27/2021 7:48 am  #20

phil95 wrote:

Dukes412 wrote:

412, I like the "trust the process" theme to your post. That seems appropriate given the despair caused by Wednesday's loss. You have reminded me of the potential recruiting power of having the new, beautiful, facilities.

In his 77 games as a Duke, TDM has the following field goal shooting percentages:
2-point shots-38.2%
3-point shots-33.6%
All field goals-34.9%

His true shooting percentage is ok as a result of having the majority of his makes come from 3pt shots & quality ft shooting.

Both his overall FG & FT percentages have gone down noticeably each year he has been at DU.

As a 5th year senior he is down to a shooting split line of 331/400/287. That is absolutely awful.

TDM has had some very important & memorable hot shooting games. That seems to earn him a bit more street cred than he deserves. If you were an opposing fan looking at a program before the game & saw a player with his numbers, you wouldn't be very concerned about him hurting your team.

You’re completely right on that but I think I just like the guy and think more of him because his size. He is a fan favorite and has kept with the program. Liability on defense unfortunately but he does have those games like when they played Umass and VCU where he knocks a ton of threes down out of no where. But in terms of the roster looking different it might indeed but I really don’t think KD or anyone can do anything about it. Now a days there’s not that much loyalty to the program but rather players trying to build a brand which I am not a fan of. Just look down the street Pitt just had 2 of there top 3 players leave and it was for reasons unknown. You cannot make every player happy on the team especially as an old school coach. With that being said I would not mind Duq landing one of those Pitt guys talk about some bad blood between schools but I know that’s not gonna happen

2/27/2021 7:53 am  #21

phil95 wrote:

Dukes412 wrote:

2-point shots-38.2%
3-point shots-33.6%
All field goals-34.9%

Exactly! As Chuck Noll used to say, it's time for TDM to get on with his life's work.

2/27/2021 8:28 am  #22

It is not a reflection on coaches today if kids decide to transfer.  More demanding and defensive minded coaches should expect more transfers.  John Groce at Akron has built his team almost exclusively from transfers and has had on-court success and few defections.  I am a HUGE fan and supporter of KD but I think it is time he adjusts to the new NCAA landscape...and I think he will. Tomorrows recruiting needs to be heavily influenced by the transfer portal.  Schools still should continue to scout and recruit HS kids but follow them through the portal. Let the kids use their one "get out of jail card free" before bringing them into the program.  Bring in kids with 3 to 4 years remaining from the portal.  I am not sure what the mix should be but the portal has to be a big component of building your roster to give the program some stability.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (2/27/2021 9:05 am)

2/27/2021 9:31 am  #23

Dukes412 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Dukes412 wrote:

2-point shots-38.2%
3-point shots-33.6%
All field goals-34.9%

You’re completely right on that but I think I just like the guy and think more of him because his size. He is a fan favorite and has kept with the program. Liability on defense unfortunately but he does have those games like when they played Umass and VCU where he knocks a ton of threes down out of no where. But in terms of the roster looking different it might indeed but I really don’t think KD or anyone can do anything about it. Now a days there’s not that much loyalty to the program but rather players trying to build a brand which I am not a fan of. Just look down the street Pitt just had 2 of there top 3 players leave and it was for reasons unknown. You cannot make every player happy on the team especially as an old school coach. With that being said I would not mind Duq landing one of those Pitt guys talk about some bad blood between schools but I know that’s not gonna happen

I don't want the Pitt guys, especially X. He gets T-ed up as much as Mike, which was part of his problems. Pitt is getting hate from the refs at the same rate we are, and Capel is as much of a hothead as KD is. The question will be, do we look at guys from lower levels looking to move up, or P5 guys who aren't playing much.

2/27/2021 2:29 pm  #24

Dukes412 wrote:

There is a lot of negativity floating around about KD which is absolutely appalling to see.

Finally, someone speaks common sense! There have been two coaches in what seems like forever that did something to elevate this otherwise putrid program. Everhart had it going and got run out of town by a band or rats, led by Dr. Dewer and the Quinnipiac Clown! Watch out. There's still a lot of rats looming! Right, Ironduke? Everhart certainly did not deserve what he got from the Rat duo and company. Good to have two excellent replacements now for those bozos. In the coach we have now in Dambrot, he's a guy who has only won 21 games in a season and elevated the record every year until this goofy period that can just be thrown out the window, wouldn't you say? I mean how do you stay objective in all this nonsense? But let's cry about the coaching staff one year removed from 21 wins. Crazy! You'd think this was Duke, not Duquesne.

2/27/2021 9:15 pm  #25

Crosseye wrote:

Dukes412 wrote:

There is a lot of negativity floating around about KD which is absolutely appalling to see.

Finally, someone speaks common sense! There have been two coaches in what seems like forever that did something to elevate this otherwise putrid program. Everhart had it going and got run out of town by a band or rats, led by Dr. Dewer and the Quinnipiac Clown! Watch out. There's still a lot of rats looming! Right, Ironduke? Everhart certainly did not deserve what he got from the Rat duo and company. Good to have two excellent replacements now for those bozos. In the coach we have now in Dambrot, he's a guy who has only won 21 games in a season and elevated the record every year until this goofy period that can just be thrown out the window, wouldn't you say? I mean how do you stay objective in all this nonsense? But let's cry about the coaching staff one year removed from 21 wins. Crazy! You'd think this was Duke, not Duquesne.

Crosseye my old Coach Giblett always warned about rats, They are many especially at the bluff. Coach Bobby Scheetz always said after a blowout burn the tape move on. I love the Dr Dewer comment. He must have been on the Dewers wagon to fire Ron.☘️☘️🤮🤮🤮🥃🥃🥃 Chuch you suck

Board footera