Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2021 9:50 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - La Salle Explorers

As of now I think I saw we'd get SLU in 1st game.

2/24/2021 10:29 pm  #52

And that is why I don't bet on sports. Technically I would have won against the spread, but just about everything I said in my preview proved to be wrong. 

"We defend the the deep ball very well" They shot 11-23 from deep.

"They don't defend well. So we'll make those shots (3s)" We were 4 for 16 from three point range.

"Look for us to crash the boards hard" We did do a good job on the offensive glass with 14 offensive rebounds, but we gave up 9 on just 24 misses by them. They won the overall rebounding battle by 9.

"Taking care of the ball will be key too. We've done a surprisingly good job of that since Carry left. So I think we'll be alright" We turned the ball over 17 times. That number is only slightly less embarrassing because we caused 22.

"Foul trouble has been a big X factor for us, but luckily LaSalle doesn't get to the line very often." Baker fouled out, Weathers and Harris had 4 each, and of course Hughes was T'd out of the game. All in all they took 27 foul shots.

"Recent history says it will be a close game" It wasn't particularly close even before Hughes went out. It certainly wasn't afterwards.

"Their lack of a go to guy will be the difference." Brickus and Beatty looked like two go to guys, and they were the difference.

2/24/2021 10:44 pm  #53

I really don't know where this game came from. Hughes has been a great senior leader since the departures. I don't know what led to either T, but in between he slammed the ball in frustration going to a media timeout. He was playing with fire and he got burned. Our defense has been very good all year long. Some cracks started to show against Richmond, but those hairline fractures became gaping wounds tonight. The traps were good, but there was no rotation. We repeatedly left guys wide open and to no one's surprise they took advantage. We've been at least serviceable on the glass. Then tonight we let a 6'6" guy clean more glass than an Empire State Building window washer. While shot selection has been questionable, we've taken care of the ball very well for a team giving nearly half of the minutes to true freshmen. 17 turnovers will rarely win the turnover battle. Have you ever seen a team turn the ball over 22 times and still win before tonight? If you have I can virtually guarantee they didn't win by 20. Normally I'd chalk this one up to playing to the level of the competition. That doesn't mean it's acceptable (especially with as much credit I and the rest of the board give Dambrot), but lots of teams do it. It's hard to say you played to the level of the competition when you lose by 20 though. I'd like to say we need to completely write off this game. Put it in the rear view and look forward. We need to make sure the mistakes from this one don't happen again though.

2/25/2021 12:13 am  #54

Well guys, I feel like we were playing pretty well as a team after KD reinvented the team earlier in the season. Maybe it was time for the wheels to come off in a game and they certainly did just that. Yes, we looked incredibly lame tonight but there is a fair amount of talent on board. The team is a work in progress. Maybe we all thought a bit prematurely that the team had arrived, that we were ready to make a run at the title. Well, maybe not just yet but I still believe the core players on this team are really good, I like all the freshman that we've seen especially the 3 bigs and Maceo, a soph. The jury is still out on Acuff. It may not be fair to judge him at this juncture. Let's see how the team regroups this Saturday. We might be pleasantly surprised and if not, I am not throwing in the towel on this program. I will continue to trust the process. I sincerely hope that KD and staff can keep the freshman together for a couple more years and add to them in the meantime. The future might not be now but might be nearer than we think right now.

2/25/2021 6:54 am  #55

Agree luckymcd and El Presidente and I completely misread what I saw in the Richmond game and the previous games. I think that other than Weathers it was a disappointment all around. Nonetheless I still believe that this team can play with intensity and beat just about anyone else in the A10 but clearly they can get blown out by a team that they should beat too!

2/25/2021 8:44 am  #56

I agree with the judge and the president. In the immediate aftermath of such an ugly loss it's hard to not be down on the team. I do like the pieces we have though (including the coach).

If even just Weathers and Hughes could get it going in the same game we can beat anyone in the A-10. If the outside shots are also falling that game we can compete with just about anybody. The preview Phoenix posted said LaSalle was one of the most schizophrenic teams in the country, but we weren't far behind. You'd expect that from true freshmen. Even the fifth year seniors seems to come and go though. Weathers and Hughes seem to alternate who takes over games and TDM is still as streaky as ever.

The talent is definitely in place. The coaches have done a good job assembling a team as talented as any in the conference. They did a great job reassembling it on the fly after the departures. They need to take that next step and bring it all together.

2/25/2021 9:30 am  #57

luckymcd wrote:

I agree with the judge and the president. In the immediate aftermath of such an ugly loss it's hard to not be down on the team. I do like the pieces we have though (including the coach).

If even just Weathers and Hughes could get it going in the same game we can beat anyone in the A-10. If the outside shots are also falling that game we can compete with just about anybody. The preview Phoenix posted said LaSalle was one of the most schizophrenic teams in the country, but we weren't far behind. You'd expect that from true freshmen. Even the fifth year seniors seems to come and go though. Weathers and Hughes seem to alternate who takes over games and TDM is still as streaky as ever.

The talent is definitely in place. The coaches have done a good job assembling a team as talented as any in the conference. They did a great job reassembling it on the fly after the departures. They need to take that next step and bring it all together.

Talent in the backcourt is lacking. TDM is having his worst year, Acuff hasn't shown much, and Maceo is nowhere near the impact player he was expected to be. The way the game is now played, you need guys who can shoot. We're severely lacking there. KD needs to get a competent point guard in here, as well as a 2 that can hit the open 3.

2/25/2021 10:58 am  #58

Exactly, really tough to win in today's game when you're 9-for-36 from 3-point land the last two games. But this is who we are. Dukes are 323rd in 3-pt FG percentage out of 340 NCAA D1 teams, and that was before last night's debacle. Only Fordham is worse in the A10. With Carry's departure, there isn't a true PG on this roster. TDM and Acuff are at best combo guards. Neither is all that adept at running a halfcourt offense. I do think there's some real talent on this roster, but it's a bit mismatched. No true PG and not really a true shooting guard on the roster either, well except for Jett who only gets in the game when the walk-ons do, and Ryan Murphy, who hasn't been able to make many shots. Austin, Baker and Okani are all variations of the same player--swingman, small forward, wing types, though one hopes there's still a lot of upside to be realized with all three. One good center--when he doesn't get in foul trouble or T'd up--two good power forwards. Lots of talent, but lots of gaps too.

So what's it all add up to? Well, look at it this way, we're 3-0 against the two worst teams in the league, 3-7 against everyone else. 5-2 against the bottom-5, 1-5 against everyone else. One win against a team with a winning record in conference play. That was Dayton, which has now also lost to Fordham, St. Joe's and LaSalle, so not really that impressive of a win. We've managed to avoid playing VCU, St. Louis and UMass and had our road game against Davidson canceled, yet we're still under .500 in conference play. We may yet avoid the play-in round in Richmond next week, but we're much closer to the bottom four than the top four of the A10.

2/25/2021 11:04 am  #59

I believe we are in the bottom 4.  Folks were upset at the beginning of the season on where we were ranked in the A-10.  Obviously, the A-10 ranking was correct.  I can almost accept the missed shots.  Teams pack it in so we can't get to the inside which is our strength and we can't shoot from the outside.

There is NO EXCUSE for the following:
-The lazy passes-
-The 5th year senior still being a head case, the coach never controlling him, and the impact on the game.  I wonder if the freshmen coming up...and we know who...will take the same path.

Article in Tribune-Review Today Says it All: Michael Hughes ejected in Duquesne's loss to La Salle

2/25/2021 12:01 pm  #60

Let's not get carried away with the criticism of Hughes. He has just had the longest streak of consistently good games against A-10 opponents in his college career. He had a rough game yesterday, but that doesn't mean he won't come back with another 3-4 good games in a row to finish out the season.  Please don't overreact.  

2/25/2021 12:05 pm  #61

I agree with most of you guys, especially CLK and 81', and after a morning discussion with my good friend the GMan, let me reiterate a couple of points that fall on KD's doorstep:
1. KD, in the last recruiting class said "we've addressed length" (correct) and "we've address shooting"...I call bullsh.. 
2. As GMan has pointed out in 4 years our best 1 or 2 guard recruit was Sin, let's face it.  And when the other PG's you recruit are called Evan Buckley,  Brandon Wade and Belechik (as Iron Duke calls him) then you have failed at bringing in any competition to SC and you end up having to kiss his ass and put up with his dissatisfaction - and also offer his brother who had no other offers a scholie.  I do still think Acuff can be a good player, but I question his quickness too - like someone else posted.  GMan said he'd like to see us recruit some guards at the 1 and 2 out of NYC, Philly, Jersey or DC and I wholeheartedly agree with him.  KD has limited himself to the Michigan and Ohio areas it seems to me, look at who the one guy we signed for next year (and the kid seems to me like a Jett except 2" taller), and that leads me to point #3.
3.  I've said this before and I'll say it again, this coaching staff may need a shake-up to expand recruiting areas and bring in a fresh perspective on talent evaluation and game strategy at a minimum.  KD crows about how long his staff has been with him and fellas that is not necessarily a good thing.  You don't want a turnstile of assistant coaches, but you don't want the same faces for 2 decades either - they get too comfortable!! 
4. KD deserves to start taking some the heat.  Everyone is dealing with the same issues in the conference and this is year 4 for KD.  When have we recruited quality guards at the 1 and 2 other than SC??? We were supposed to have a lock down shooter in Jett and he can't see the Court.  We've never recruited anyone better than Marcus and Mike who were brought in 4 years ago, other than EWilliams and he left.  KD seems to have not gotten all of his players to buy in to what he wants/demands, hence the T's on Hughes and others and players transferring out who did have talent - Williams and SC.  
5.  Dambrot better knock it out of the park with a couple recruits and/or transfers coming in - especially at the guard position and another big as it looks like Kelly is out and you know how I feel about Rotroff.  KD has to consider getting someone on his staff who can recruit the areas that the GMan mentioned.
6.  Harper needs to start evaluating all this as KD is paid well and we invested a boatload in the Coop and other areas of Men's BBall and does it look like we are going to pack the place next year at this point with this roster composition???????  Way too many gaps in the roster and it is hard to be optimistic of our prospects for next year based on what I've seen.

2/25/2021 12:35 pm  #62

The offense is so bad, LaSalle turned it over 20+ times last night, and we scored 65 pts.

2/25/2021 1:18 pm  #63

Pistol - Excellent Post

Levon- Not beating up Hughes - However... I have said every year that Hughes has played here that his emotions are out of control, Coach accepts it, and it hurts the team. All are facts

Go Dukes

2/25/2021 1:58 pm  #64

FAM wrote:

Pistol - Excellent Post

Levon- Not beating up Hughes - However... I have said every year that Hughes has played here that his emotions are out of control, Coach accepts it, and it hurts the team. All are facts

Go Dukes

KD has trouble controlling himself   so go figure.

2/25/2021 2:26 pm  #65

Maybe with KD's lack of discipline required of his players, Xavier Johnson will want to come to DU next year.   Bring Toney with him too.   

2/25/2021 2:44 pm  #66

DennisC91 hit the nail on the head:  " But this is who we are. Dukes are 323rd in 3-pt FG percentage out of 340 NCAA D1 teams, and that was before last night's debacle."

You can't win if you can't make shots, and this has been the same problem for KD for the last 4 years.  The dukes try to compensate in other areas like defense, and post play, but that can only carry you so far.  It comes down to this, he needs to recruit better players who can shoot as well as defend.  There are a couple freshman players who have shown potential, but have not proven themselves to be consistent.  What you would expect from most freshman.  In my humble opinion KD should be looking at the best transfer players he can get.  In today's world it is the best way to rebuild. 

2/25/2021 2:58 pm  #67

CLK wrote:

DennisC91 hit the nail on the head:  " But this is who we are. Dukes are 323rd in 3-pt FG percentage out of 340 NCAA D1 teams, and that was before last night's debacle."

You can't win if you can't make shots, and this has been the same problem for KD for the last 4 years.  The dukes try to compensate in other areas like defense, and post play, but that can only carry you so far.  It comes down to this, he needs to recruit better players who can shoot as well as defend.  There are a couple freshman players who have shown potential, but have not proven themselves to be consistent.  What you would expect from most freshman.  In my humble opinion KD should be looking at the best transfer players he can get.  In today's world it is the best way to rebuild. 

Agreed 100%.

2/25/2021 3:35 pm  #68

Duq81 and others have made great points about the way the game is played today and the importance of shooting and specifically the 3 point shot! Can't argue with you guys and I keep hoping TDM will find it and get hot but maybe it is just not going to happen! Do you try Murphy more? I don't have the answer for this team right now but definitely agree with you guys that moving forward this needs to be a recruiting priority. I am still a KD guy but maybe he does need to adjust his philosophy to emphasize 3 ball more

2/25/2021 4:07 pm  #69

It is apparent that  consistent 3 point shooting is lacking on our team. Would think the major area to be addressed. KD brought in Roesing but it's obvious that there are deficiencies in his game or he would be getting some playing time. TDM has been our best, if only slightly above average, 3 point threat but he has totally lost that skill to this point. Ryan Murphy was added as well but he has not measured up to what might have been reasonably expected of him. Lamar Norman might also have underachieved in this area. All this leaving KD with no other viable options at present. I would expect that this hole in our game will be addressed moving forward. Not absolving the staff here, but sometimes when things go bad they go real bad. I really don't believe that any of us expected to see the long range scoring to be this inept including KD. Let's see how it is addressed.

2/25/2021 5:08 pm  #70

So many kids are struggling that one can't help but wonder if it's the system. Only Chad Baker has a respectable 3-PT percentage at 40.4 (21-for-52), though he's been streaky. I don't know about you guys, but I cringe every time someone chucks up a 3 early in the shot clock or off a run-out/transition play. If our team 3-point percentage is 28.8, then our percentage on the latter has got to be somewhere around 8-10%. Yet the kids really seem to love taking those shots. 

2/25/2021 6:50 pm  #71

Forgot about Chad Baker shooting the 3 ball pretty well really but as mentioned very streaky and with a relatively small sampling of 15 games played. Jury still out on him. Really hoping that JR has an opportunity to prove himself on the court before he exits the program.

2/25/2021 7:03 pm  #72

PistolPete wrote:

I agree with most of you guys, especially CLK and 81', and after a morning discussion with my good friend the GMan, let me reiterate a couple of points that fall on KD's doorstep:
1. KD, in the last recruiting class said "we've addressed length" (correct) and "we've address shooting"...I call bullsh.. 
2. As GMan has pointed out in 4 years our best 1 or 2 guard recruit was Sin, let's face it.  And when the other PG's you recruit are called Evan Buckley,  Brandon Wade and Belechik (as Iron Duke calls him) then you have failed at bringing in any competition to SC and you end up having to kiss his ass and put up with his dissatisfaction - and also offer his brother who had no other offers a scholie.  I do still think Acuff can be a good player, but I question his quickness too - like someone else posted.  GMan said he'd like to see us recruit some guards at the 1 and 2 out of NYC, Philly, Jersey or DC and I wholeheartedly agree with him.  KD has limited himself to the Michigan and Ohio areas it seems to me, look at who the one guy we signed for next year (and the kid seems to me like a Jett except 2" taller), and that leads me to point #3.
3.  I've said this before and I'll say it again, this coaching staff may need a shake-up to expand recruiting areas and bring in a fresh perspective on talent evaluation and game strategy at a minimum.  KD crows about how long his staff has been with him and fellas that is not necessarily a good thing.  You don't want a turnstile of assistant coaches, but you don't want the same faces for 2 decades either - they get too comfortable!! 
4. KD deserves to start taking some the heat.  Everyone is dealing with the same issues in the conference and this is year 4 for KD.  When have we recruited quality guards at the 1 and 2 other than SC??? We were supposed to have a lock down shooter in Jett and he can't see the Court.  We've never recruited anyone better than Marcus and Mike who were brought in 4 years ago, other than EWilliams and he left.  KD seems to have not gotten all of his players to buy in to what he wants/demands, hence the T's on Hughes and others and players transferring out who did have talent - Williams and SC.  
5.  Dambrot better knock it out of the park with a couple recruits and/or transfers coming in - especially at the guard position and another big as it looks like Kelly is out and you know how I feel about Rotroff.  KD has to consider getting someone on his staff who can recruit the areas that the GMan mentioned.
6.  Harper needs to start evaluating all this as KD is paid well and we invested a boatload in the Coop and other areas of Men's BBall and does it look like we are going to pack the place next year at this point with this roster composition???????  Way too many gaps in the roster and it is hard to be optimistic of our prospects for next year based on what I've seen.

Pistol shake up the staff. 20 years same old same old staff. Same  recruiting regions. Look at any organization Government, corporations, professional team people get lazy. No need for new ideas & concepts College basketball all about recruiting. Michigan & Ohio very limited. Chuck Knoll, Johnny Majors, Jackie Sherill and Bill Cowher had one thing in common great assistant coaches. Look at WVU Ron Everhart, and Michigan. Phil Martelli. Expand your recruiting base Coach. Time for a change. Guards are a dime a dozen . Weather Dre & Hughes are a rare in the A-10. No excuses. The guard play is a joke. 

2/25/2021 7:23 pm  #73

Ironduke81 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Pistol shake up the staff. 20 years same old same old staff. Same  recruiting regions. Look at any organization Government, corporations, professional team people get lazy. No need for new ideas & concepts College basketball all about recruiting. Michigan & Ohio very limited. Chuck Knoll, Johnny Majors, Jackie Sherill and Bill Cowher had one thing in common great assistant coaches. Look at WVU Ron Everhart, and Michigan. Phil Martelli. Expand your recruiting base Coach. Time for a change. Guards are a dime a dozen . Weather Dre & Hughes are a rare in the A-10. No excuses. The guard play is a joke. 

Guards are not that hard to find. The Dukes have had many good guards during the last 40 years. It's been the lack of quality bigs that has kept us down. We now have good bigs, but the guards are as bad as I can remember.

Board footera