Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2021 7:02 pm  #1

Does this season count

as a year of the 4 allowed for non seniors or does everybody come back in the same class as this season?

2/26/2021 6:05 am  #2

Re: Does this season count

My understanding is it does NOT Count towards ANY player's limits.

TDM, Mike and Marcus could return for another year if they chose -  The Freshman class all have four years remaining if they desire.

Teams as a whole cannot exceed the team limit.

2/26/2021 8:06 am  #3

I would think the odds of any of this freshman class being here 5 years from now would be about the same as me walking on the moon. Would have to see it to believe it. Hope we don't lose any after year one. We see more and more players these days who "don't let the grass grow under their feet!"

2/26/2021 9:48 am  #4

Since almost every Div. 1 team is carrying an expanded roster right now, won't the transfer portal be absolutely jammed? Should make for a chaotic off season all around. Probably good for teams in general, but I think a lot of players will be faced with transferring to lower levels. Some lateral moves will help with fine tuning rosters, but overall this will get nuts.

2/26/2021 11:09 am  #5

I hope Harris, Acuff Baker and Okani stay.  Why cant they become good buddies who want to play together?   No clue what the 3 seniors will do.   And I am not sure I care what they do.   Weathers is a force, the other 2 are up and down, and nothing will change there.
Guys like Austin, Kelly, Rotroff.....they can leave, and have 2-3 years at another school.
I hope Hima stays, just so we can have big man.
Jett, hopefully he was told this year would be watching, and next year he can play a lot, and he is okay with that.
Mike B dont care, he should probably leave, go back to Ohio, play at some D2 school and be a starter there.
At least we have a nice arena now.   I'll watch tomorrow to see the fieldhouse. 

In other words, there isnt one player on this roster I would solidly bet is back next year.

2/26/2021 11:15 am  #6

townsonkid wrote:

I hope Harris, Acuff Baker and Okani stay.  Why cant they become good buddies who want to play together?   No clue what the 3 seniors will do.   And I am not sure I care what they do.   Weathers is a force, the other 2 are up and down, and nothing will change there.
Guys like Austin, Kelly, Rotroff.....they can leave, and have 2-3 years at another school.
Jett, hopefully he was told this year would be watching, and next year he can play a lot, and he is okay with that.
Mike B dont care, he should probably leave, go back to Ohio, play at some D2 school and be a starter there.

In other words, there isnt one player on this roster I would solidly bet is back next year.

Wow! 40 years in the desert of college basketball (and one hideous game) sure has done a number on you. Not one single player?

2/26/2021 11:22 am  #7

luckymcd wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Wow! 40 years in the desert of college basketball (and one hideous game) sure has done a number on you. Not one single player?

The problem for players is there are going to be far fewer places to go. Overseas is being pinched too. It's not a "players" market right now. There are thousands of players in the same boat as most of our roster. Something has to give. There will be a sorting out, whether someone wants to go or not.

2/26/2021 11:37 am  #8

If a team had 13 scholarship players and 3 with signed letters for next year they would have to drop 3 players?

2/26/2021 11:40 am  #9

To answer the original question though, everyone who comes back next year will be considered the same year as they are now. That much is official. What isn't official because the NCAA still hasn't figured it out is the issue of scholarship limits. Pretty much everyone is assuming that any seniors who come back won't count against the limit. So if we are lucky enough to have Weathers, Hughes, TDM, or Murphy back they almost certainly won't count against the limit. Therefore we would be able to bring in up to four recruits and not have to worry about going over. When the then 6th year seniors move on after next year we would be right back at the limit of 13. The problem is the NCAA refuses to confirm that. So coaches are left in the dark about what to do. For smaller schools there is also the issue of affording extra scholarships even if they are allowed. I don't know where we stand on that. Long story short, the NCAA is messing this up like they mess up pretty much everything.

2/26/2021 11:47 am  #10

What are your thoughts on this scenario? Marcus wants to play another year but wants to do it with his brother. Do you let them do it here. A quick check seems to show that Michael hasn't had any mishaps in the last year and a half and he's averaging about 14 pts. and 4 assists. If he's on the straight and narrow I'd let it happen. For some reason I'm thinking this could happen.

2/26/2021 11:48 am  #11

luckymcd wrote:

To answer the original question though, everyone who comes back next year will be considered the same year as they are now. That much is official. What isn't official because the NCAA still hasn't figured it out is the issue of scholarship limits. Pretty much everyone is assuming that any seniors who come back won't count against the limit. So if we are lucky enough to have Weathers, Hughes, TDM, or Murphy back they almost certainly won't count against the limit. Therefore we would be able to bring in up to four recruits and not have to worry about going over. When the then 6th year seniors move on after next year we would be right back at the limit of 13. The problem is the NCAA refuses to confirm that. So coaches are left in the dark about what to do. For smaller schools there is also the issue of affording extra scholarships even if they are allowed. I don't know where we stand on that. Long story short, the NCAA is messing this up like they mess up pretty much everything.

The quicker they address this the better. It will be painful for some players, but the more they delay and kick it down the road, the more players get screwed.

2/26/2021 12:35 pm  #12

I believe that Murphy is a walk on.
He left Pitt then went to Tulane when the
pandemic hit and that fell through.
Tried European ball but had no opportunities.
He came to KD and convinced him to put him on the roster.
He will be gone after this season.

2/26/2021 6:42 pm  #13

I'd love to have Weathers and Hughes back. They are both all-conference level players whether they get that credit or not. So having them back would be great. If Marcus' brother wants to transfer I'd consider it, but would need to look into him first. He was kicked off the team at Oklahoma State. I'd like to know what happened there. If it wasn't a big deal and if his game is A-10 level and if it would mesh with our team and if his scholarship would be a freeby as a senior then maybe I could see it happening. That's a lot of ifs though. TDM would be welcome to return, but wouldn't be as valuable. It's possible losing him would be addition by subtraction. If Murphy is on scholarship I'd welcome him back too since it's a freeby, but I would let him know not to expect much. He hasn't lived up to expectations and there is a lot of talent behind him. No hard feelings at all, but it hasn't worked out. I'd agree that he won't be back if European basketball was back to normal yet, but it still isn't. So I wouldn't completely rule him out.

2/26/2021 7:19 pm  #14

Let's assume that the international professional leagues come back in the second half of 2021 with fans in the stands.  So, here's your decision as a player with a college degree....  Do you forgo making $300K to $600K tax free plus benefits overseas next year to come back to Duquesne?  Sounds like an easy decision to me. 

2/26/2021 7:19 pm  #15

I can't see Weathers coming back. He'll be playing with his brother closer to home at a possible P5 school. As for Hughes there is no way he is coming back after the way he's been treated by this league's officiating crew plus he'll have ample opportunity to transfer to a big time program. TDM who knows? Not a big deal either way. Hopefully, they'll get a few good transfers coming in and the freshmen will stay including Roessing, but of course it comes down to recruiting and having a coaching staff that can coach the players up to their potential.

Last edited by Rayrich (2/26/2021 7:22 pm)

2/26/2021 11:38 pm  #16

MikeR wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

The problem for players is there are going to be far fewer places to go. Overseas is being pinched too. It's not a "players" market right now. There are thousands of players in the same boat as most of our roster. Something has to give. There will be a sorting out, whether someone wants to go or not.

So you’re saying there’s a chance????   😁

Board footera