Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2021 8:46 pm  #1

Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (A10 Tournament)

11:00am EST tip on Friday 03/05/2021 at the Siegel Center, St. Bonaventure, VA (Quarterfinal round of the Atlantic 10 Tournament - televised on NBCSN)
Dukes #118 KenPom / #139 NET (9-8; 7-7) vs St. Bonaventure Bonnies #34 KenPom / #31 NET (13-4; 11-4)
First Meeting at St. Bonaventure: St. Bonaventure 62-48
Second Meeting at Duquesne:  St. Bonaventure 65-61

Game prediction: Dukes lose by 8, 69-61 - Dukes with 24% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 7½ point underdogs; Over/Under 131½
Duquesne 10-7 Against the Spread; St. Bonaventure 10-5-2 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Richmond (67); Dayton (80); Rhode Island-2 (98)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Little Rock (227); George Washington (216); La Salle (191)
St. Bonaventure Best Win(s): VCU (51); Richmond (67); Davidson-2 (70)
St. Bonaventure Worst Loss(es): Rhode Island (98); Dayton (80); VCU (51)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure for the season (national ranking out of 357 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (38); Turnover % (79)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (26); FT Rate (86)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at St. Bonaventure in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (2); Effective FG % (4); Turnover % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (1); Turnover % (4)  
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 357 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (92)
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (259)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (45)
Defensive Weakness:  FT Rate (289)

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (11)
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (2)
Defensive Weakness:  FT Rate (14)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
St. Bonaventure Adj Offense Efficiency - 110.2, #55 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 96.2, #70 in D-1
St. Bonaventure Adj Defense Efficiency - 92.3, #29 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 102.5, #171 in D-1
St. Bonaventure Adj Tempo - 65.3, #321 in D-1
-vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 69.3, #144 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - St. Bonaventure 1.93 yrs, #113 in D-1; Dukes 1.67 yrs, #209 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - St. Bonaventure 67.7%, #29 in D-1; Dukes 53.0%, #119 in D-1
Average Height - St. Bonaventure 77.3", #115 in D-1; Dukes 76.2", #267 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 123rd in the country.
St. Bonaventure is 41st in the country.
Automated Game Preview: https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=381&neut=1
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (3/05/2021 7:56 am)

3/05/2021 7:08 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (A10 Tournament)

As happens every time we play the Bonnies someone on their message board mentions in one way or another that they get homered when playing the Dukes. This time it was will Dambrot bring his homer refs with him. The last time I remember having the refs taking care of us it was at home when the Nelsons played. It was the opposite when they were on the road. Anybody here think we get a fair shake from the stripes.

3/05/2021 8:51 am  #3

WashPaRick wrote:

As happens every time we play the Bonnies someone on their message board mentions in one way or another that they get homered when playing the Dukes. This time it was will Dambrot bring his homer refs with him. The last time I remember having the refs taking care of us it was at home when the Nelsons played. It was the opposite when they were on the road. Anybody here think we get a fair shake from the stripes.

Well the refereeing can't be worse than yesterday. I just hope they call it consistently. Both teams are physical teams, so they should let the players play. As long as they call it the same way both ways we'll have nothing to complain about though. Yesterday was probably the worst refereed game I've ever seen. It mostly favored Richmond, but there were some bad calls that went our way too. I don't know any of their names, but hopefully that crew doesn't ever work another of our games. If they get the treatment they deserve they'll never work another game anywhere.

Last edited by luckymcd (3/05/2021 8:52 am)

3/05/2021 9:11 am  #4

WashPaRick wrote:

Well I remember playing there last year and one of their idiot fans threw a balloon on the court during critical foul shots to send it to ot. Believe it was Sincere Carry shooting them. It should’ve been a technical foul but nothing was called and in the end we ended up winning but talk about homer calls.

3/05/2021 9:28 am  #5

Dukes412 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Well I remember playing there last year and one of their idiot fans threw a balloon on the court during critical foul shots to send it to ot. Believe it was Sincere Carry shooting them. It should’ve been a technical foul but nothing was called and in the end we ended up winning but talk about homer calls.

Well remember that one. We could have easily lost the game as a result and the officials just looked the other way like nothing happened.

3/05/2021 9:58 am  #6

Let me take a stab at a prediction. While I'm about 50% accurate, I see us with a 1 or 2 point win today with Marcus doing his thing inside and TDM with renewed confidence in double figures again. Have to keep Lofton out of his comfort zone as much as possible. Baker needs to be on but I think another freshman steps up today but won't hazard a guess as to who it will be. DEFENSE!!!

3/05/2021 10:33 am  #7

Yesterday was a good win, but we need to play a lot better to win today. Expect a 40 minute battle and the team who plays better defense will win. In their four losses they only shot even 40% from the field once. They never made more than 1/3 of their threes. It's vital to finish off good defensive possessions by getting the rebound though. If we rebound like we did yesterday we'll lose by 20. They hit the glass as hard as anyone in the conference and Osunniyi has killed us in the past. They got outrebounded in all four losses. Defending Lofton is going to be key. In their four losses he's only averaged 11.8 points a game, shot 1 for 10 from three point range and has just a 1.2 assist to turnover ratio. They basically only go 6 deep. So even though we are playing on back to back days I'd like to see some press. We don't want to turn the game into a track meet, but making them run brings them out of their comfort zone and favors us. A tightly called game might actually favor us for that reason too. If our bigs get in foul trouble it's bad news, but we've got depth, they don't. This is definitely a game we can win. We aren't a typical 9 seed and they aren't a typical 1 either. For the third game in a row I'll have to say I hope I'm wrong and predict an L though. Dukes 62 Bonnies 68.

3/05/2021 11:12 am  #8

Hope that's a cramp.

3/05/2021 11:23 am  #9

Well not like we've never come from behind but it's looking bad.

3/05/2021 11:25 am  #10

SBU defense is smothering us.   And that stick in the middle for them alters any shot in the paint.   Gonna need shooters to step up.

Who else loves the Weathers 3 pt shots with 15 left on the shot clock?    What a wasted trip.
We cant buy a bucket, and they get wide open 3 pt shots, with 2-3 seconds to set their feet.

Last edited by townsonkid (3/05/2021 11:31 am)

3/05/2021 11:30 am  #11

D picked up but O is struggling.

3/05/2021 11:33 am  #12

townsonkid wrote:

Who else loves the Weathers 3 pt shots with 15 left on the shot clock?    What a wasted trip.

I fear that he's focused on his outside shot to be able to show pro teams he's a complete scorer. The problem is it's not working. I liked the commentator's Barkley comparison yesterday. Obviously he's not a future hall of famer, but he's tough to stop when he puts his head down and he's got a great spin move too. He has to stop settling for outside shots.

3/05/2021 11:37 am  #13

Glad to see Baker is o.k.

3/05/2021 11:38 am  #14

I’d put in Rotroff n Murphy to give a couple of the guys who are tired a break.

3/05/2021 11:38 am  #15

gotta put all 5 starters in to end the half, try to get back into this.   No need saving fuel if you're gonna be down 20+ at the half.   

3/05/2021 11:39 am  #16

What a disappointing performance. Can't throw it in the ocean. Never thought this would happen. Hope they can make it respectable at some point.

3/05/2021 11:39 am  #17

I called for some press in my preview. I'm going to have to nix that recommendation. We're starting to look like a team playing back to back. Little movement on offense, settling for deep shots. The defensive effort is there, but we're late rotating and leaving open shooters. Weathers is giving it all he's got now, but it won't be enough if he can't get the shots to fall.

3/05/2021 11:44 am  #18

this is awful.   3 TOs in a row, 6 layups in a row.   so much for under 20 at the half.

3/05/2021 11:49 am  #19

That's deflating.

Last edited by WashPaRick (3/05/2021 11:49 am)

3/05/2021 11:55 am  #20

Coach D  has a way to go for recruiting and consistency. Bonnies program history is amazing yet a school in the middle of nowhere and they get excellent players. He must be a heck of a recruiter.

I know they played yesterday but honestly, they had a rest before that and these are 18-23 year olds. They are getting beat because the other team is better.

3/05/2021 11:59 am  #21

Well, I've seen enough. Turning off the TV and heading outside to do some chores,

3/05/2021 11:59 am  #22

St. Bonaventure is the best rebounding team in the conference and we're not even boxing them out. Having said that, the refs need to watch offensive goaltending. Osunniyi should have had it called against him twice and neither was. Take those hoops away and we're still down big, but I hope Dambrot has brought that up already. He's going to need all of halftime to figure out how to get back in this game.

3/05/2021 12:04 pm  #23

Dambrot figure it out not likely against Schmidt I hope Penn State throws a ton of cash his way. Can you imagine the Bonnie’s next year. All underclass men. 

3/05/2021 12:12 pm  #24

Coach must of challenged their manhood.

3/05/2021 12:18 pm  #25

YES, Schmidt is better than Dambrot.  But Penn State is looking at 2 African- American Coaches right now.

Board footera