Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2021 12:21 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (A10 Tournament)

Love the fight in our guys.

3/05/2021 12:22 pm  #27

Bad stoppage for our momentum.

3/05/2021 12:24 pm  #28

Someone got tossed.

3/05/2021 12:30 pm  #29

Regroup and make another run.

3/05/2021 12:54 pm  #30

Home cooking bonnies bench player should’ve been tossed but typical A10 officiating should’ve been a Double T but give these guys credit for still playing hard. Hope the 3 seniors are back next year need a good shooter

Last edited by Dukes412 (3/05/2021 12:56 pm)

3/05/2021 1:18 pm  #31

I'm torn on the 4 seniors coming back.   Like I am with Big Ben and the Steelers.   I like what he, and they bring to the table skill set wise and leadership, but I am not sure its enough to get us where we want to go.   Eventually we need to move on, and get more from others on the roster.   But I wont be upset regardless their choices.   

Next up, The Cooper Fieldhouse!!!!

3/05/2021 1:35 pm  #32

The Dukes survived 2 long breaks and then 2 players who chose to leave early in season. It could have been
 a disaster but Dukes never quit and did much better than I thought . Whats next I have no idea.Hopefully
we can have a normal season next year and enjoy the Dukes at the Coop.

3/05/2021 1:38 pm  #33

Ugly but inevitable loss. As for returning the seniors.  Why?  If you had a top 3 team in the league then try and bring back a few of the guys that makes you special. Dukes are not a top team and no one is an all-league player.  Time to look forward to a full home season in a new arena with a fresh group of faces.   

Last edited by 330Fan (3/05/2021 1:39 pm)

3/05/2021 1:47 pm  #34

townsonkid wrote:

I'm torn on the 4 seniors coming back.   Like I am with Big Ben and the Steelers.   I like what he, and they bring to the table skill set wise and leadership, but I am not sure its enough to get us where we want to go.   Eventually we need to move on, and get more from others on the roster.   But I wont be upset regardless their choices.   

Next up, The Cooper Fieldhouse!!!!

I'm torn as well, but wouldn't be surprised if Marcus comes back and bring his twin Michael with him. Michael was the more highly recruited player. Anyway, I wouldn't mind if either Hughes or TDM came back as well. Should be an interesting off season. Think Okani and Baker if they stick around have the potential to be Player of the year candidates in the A-10

3/05/2021 1:59 pm  #35

According to this it looks like Hughes and Weathers are not ruling out coming back.

Alan Saunders on Twitter: "Duquesne’s Mike Hughes said he hasn’t started thinking about next season. Marcus Weathers said “there’s definitely a possibility” that he could be back." / Twitter

Even with them there are some serious "needs" on this team to be a contender, and some dead wood who really are not capable at this level.  If I was Dambrot this would be my priority (assuming Hughes and Weathers return):

1.  The best damn transfer point guard he can sign.  Wouldn't mind a prep player but he would have to be highly recruited and exceptional.

2.  The best damn transfer SG/SF scorer he can sign.

3. The best damn PF/C he can sign, could be a HS player

3/05/2021 2:02 pm  #36

330Fan wrote:

Ugly but inevitable loss. As for returning the seniors.  Why?  If you had a top 3 team in the league then try and bring back a few of the guys that makes you special. Dukes are not a top team and no one is an all-league player.  Time to look forward to a full home season in a new arena with a fresh group of faces.   

You could say that but look at 2 years ago. This team had 22 wins which was the most in a while for the program and all three of these players were huge reasons for that. Also, the departures and pauses did not help in terms of getting in a rhythm and figuring out a good rotation. Give these young guys a good off season and more ability to learn and build muscle and they will be even better. That does not mean they cannot add a few pieces maybe a transfer or grad transfer at guard and a more experienced big man like Baylee Steele. Don’t think they’re too far behind any of these teams in the A10

3/05/2021 2:56 pm  #37

Game played out as I feared it would. Bonnies are the better team to begin with and looked rested and motivated, Dukes looked like a team that spent a lot of energy to score a come-from-behind win yesterday. Still, they didn't give up and put together a nice run to make it respectable before the momentum-sapping stoppage. Lofton and Welch were clearly trying to instigate something, taking forever to return to their side of the court. But why take the bait and start trash-talking when you're down 10? I thought I heard on the telecast that someone on the Bonaventure bench was tossed, Okoli maybe?

Well, I'm glad we got off the conference tourney schneid this year and made it back to the quarterfinals for the first time in 12 years. Baby steps. But still a lot more work to be done. At the end of the day, we're still a very average, middle-of-the-pack A10 team.

Like the four freshmen, hope they stick around. Of the three seniors, Hughes is the one we need the most next year because there just isn't an heir apparent on the roster right now. Amari's a decent sub, but can't see him playing 25-30 minutes a game without getting into foul trouble. Weathers is awesome, but Dre Harris is waiting in the wings and needs to play 30-odd minutes a game. I expect TDM to return and it would be great if he could return to the 6th man role he was so good at a couple years ago. Need a true PG and would love to see Acuff at the 2. He's got the size and I think a really nice shooting touch. Notice how good his FTs looked in the last two games? Just needs a true PG to break down defenses and get him good looks.

Still think the talent is there with Austin, the confidence, not so much. Rotroff just hasn't looked like an A10 player since he blew out his knee. I guess Bekelja's a serviceable role player, but if he's playing more than 5-10 minutes a game, there's something wrong with the rest of the team. Jett couldn't get on the court for one of the worst 3-point shooting teams in the country this year so not sure how he fits into the plans for next year. Hima's a mystery so no real expectations there. 

3/05/2021 2:58 pm  #38

CLK, since I don't think I could have said it better myself I'll just say I agree with you 1000%!!!  I would add that my view is that if any of the 3 seniors come back the one I would want is Hughes - who do we have that can step in for him?  Dr. Dre can at least start to fill Marcus' shoes.  TDM can and should move on, not enough positives that materially outweigh the negatives.

3/05/2021 3:14 pm  #39

Oh and our second-half surge forced the Bonnies to keep four of five starters on the court for just about the entire game. I'm sure St. Louis will thank us tomorrow. Amazing they can be so good with a 6-man rotation. 

3/05/2021 3:59 pm  #40

PistolPete wrote:

CLK, since I don't think I could have said it better myself I'll just say I agree with you 1000%!!!  I would add that my view is that if any of the 3 seniors come back the one I would want is Hughes - who do we have that can step in for him?  Dr. Dre can at least start to fill Marcus' shoes.  TDM can and should move on, not enough positives that materially outweigh the negatives.

Our four freshman can put on some weight by next year and if one or both Hughes and Marcus come back, I think this team could be in very good shape. TDM would likely be the 6th man again and it would be best for him since his numbers were better in that position. Still, this team now has a real home court and practice facility now and  could have their best season in years coming up. Those four freshman got a lot of playing time down the stretch and they all looked very good.

3/05/2021 4:31 pm  #41

3/05/2021 4:49 pm  #42

I think there should be a CIT (Covid Interrupted Twice) tourney for teams that got shut down a couple times can get some more games in.

3/05/2021 6:07 pm  #43

Well i'm officially retiring from the prediction business!  So wrong on this one. Probably jinxed them! It's obvious that when a solid team like the Bonnies brings its A game, we are going to lose 90% of the time as we currently exist. The Bonnies needed to win and they played like it. We are a ship without a rudder until we come up with a solid point guard. This above all things is lacking here with SC's departure. With SC, or similar player, in this game I guarantee it would have been a different team today. Not suggesting that it would have been a slam dunk win  but am saying that a solid point guard is indispensable to a championship team and its painfully obvious that we  have  a huge void in that area now. There probably isn't any area that can't be improved on this team but I want to see a real honest to goodness point guard on this team next year.

Last edited by El Presidente (3/05/2021 6:08 pm)

3/05/2021 6:55 pm  #44

NapaDuke wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Our four freshman can put on some weight by next year and if one or both Hughes and Marcus come back, I think this team could be in very good shape. TDM would likely be the 6th man again and it would be best for him since his numbers were better in that position. Still, this team now has a real home court and practice facility now and  could have their best season in years coming up. Those four freshman got a lot of playing time down the stretch and they all looked very good.
Our Freshman putting on weight depends on the weight Coach. In fairness last Covid year a mess. New facility no excuses in regards to strength & conditioning. If Baker, Okani, Acuff & Austin still remain skin & bones we have a problem Houston. At this point Coaches and supporting staff must step up their game as well as the players. I would expect the AD will hold people accountable especially after building the Cooper Field House. Huge off season. 7 months until the new season. Go Dukes

3/05/2021 7:52 pm  #45

NapaDuke wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

I would be completely shocked if KD had the discipline to use TDM appropriately should he return. That is the coach's pet; always has been.

3/05/2021 10:05 pm  #46

Just finished watching the game after having to leave at half again. I was certainly tempted not to come back today, but I'm glad I did. The never say die Dukes showed up again, but couldn't do it for 20 minutes. Dambrot's challenge for next year, regardless of who comes back, will be to keep the intensity without letting guys cross the line. We had a great run going until we took the bait the Bonnies laid out for us. They got the tech, we converted the freebies, but they came out of it more focused and pulled away again. We looked tired in the first half, but not in the second. Perhaps motivation and focus was more a factor than actual fatigue.

I for one would love to have the seniors back and I think this kind of game helps in that respect. Covid and the transfers hurt this season for sure, but it also brought the team together. This is clearly a very tight knit group that loves playing with each other and has each other's backs. Losing in ugly fashion might motivate the seniors to come back to take care of unfinished business. 

3/06/2021 12:27 am  #47

The interview with Dambrot was most interesting.  I think he was candid & trying not to thrash some of his players, although they know who & where they fell short.  He talked about the lack of discipline for which he took responsibility.  'I try to treat our players like they are my kids.'  I think he's struggling in some respect because it's hard to 'lay the law down' and then enforce it.  He wistfully referred to Bonnies coach & players success. 
As to having the seniors back, I think in reality he has mixed feelings; Instantaneously the team on paper may be better.  However in looking back you can see specific instances of discipline problems. TDM plays his heart out & I love to watch him play, but he adlibs too much to be an effective point guard.  Does he want him back?  I think he [Dambrot] needs to recruit a good PG.   Mike Hughes is great around the rim defensively and sometimes offensively.  But his emotions too often get the best of him.  Dambrot not going to change him at this point.  Maybe Dre Harris needs room to spread his wings...  Baker is very talented but often undisciplined. However the young guys should be easier to mold.  Although, I believe Baker is 22+ ??  Cary probably had discipline problems.  Dambrot said [it's not going to happen again in 2021/22]
Will be an interesting year with developments yet to be seen!! 

Last edited by gjgsr (3/06/2021 12:29 am)

Board footera