Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2021 10:01 am  #1

Old School vs. New School Coaches in Today’s NCAA Basketball

Let’s face it Coach Dambrots post game interview was enlightening emotional & blunt. Dambrot in his interviews is outstanding. If he moves on in the next three years his future is as a color analyst for the networks. Throughout this season he would say “I’m an Old School Coach”. In my opinion the  true Old School Coach is 1 hour south on 79 in Morgantown WV. My second favorite team to watch is WVU.They play hard with intensity the entire game. If a player does not Huggs pulls him to the bench. No snow flakes on WVU. In February of 2019 both Esa Ahmad & Wesley Harris kicked off the team. Both top scorers. WVU with limited roster goes to Big 12 semifinal. How about Kennedy Christian Sagaba Konate. His brother has a sit down with Huggs telling him how to run his team so Konate can become a first round NBA pick. Well Konate leaves get cut from D league currently playing in Greece. Another Kennedy Christian all  HS American Oscar Tshiebwe quits on his team because Huggs demands hard work. Finall Derek Culver no class no play at WVU. Out but his mother begs Huggs for a second chance. Results top center Big 12 & 3.3 QPA. Tough love buy refusing to comprise your coaching values. Coach Dambrot I believe is a very very nice person based on the following. Sincere Benedict Arnold Carry given the keys to the Cadillac. Norms retired #10. Bekelja handed a roster spot no other Div 1 offers. How about Carry, Norman & Austin quitting on the same day. How selfish to their fellow teammates. Could they have stayed until the end? Actually I’m glad they left. Opportunity for Freshman. However, Old School Coach would say bye bye to Carry’s step brother & Austin who quit. Coach Dambrot is truly a very nice person. But based on the press conference does a lack of tough love help or hurt these young snowflakes. If indeed this country went to war we would be speaking either Russian or Chinese. Our Flag would have a hammer & sickle. I know one thing when I was in college I thought I knew everything but in reality nothing. Coach nice guys finish last. You have comprised your values for snowflakes. All I know is Huggs is a father figure to his players & WVU just wins baby. 

3/06/2021 12:59 pm  #2

Re: Old School vs. New School Coaches in Today’s NCAA Basketball

Ironduke81 wrote:

Let’s face it Coach Dambrots post game interview was enlightening emotional & blunt. Dambrot in his interviews is outstanding. If he moves on in the next three years his future is as a color analyst for the networks. Throughout this season he would say “I’m an Old School Coach”. In my opinion the  true Old School Coach is 1 hour south on 79 in Morgantown WV. My second favorite team to watch is WVU.They play hard with intensity the entire game. If a player does not Huggs pulls him to the bench. No snow flakes on WVU. In February of 2019 both Esa Ahmad & Wesley Harris kicked off the team. Both top scorers. WVU with limited roster goes to Big 12 semifinal. How about Kennedy Christian Sagaba Konate. His brother has a sit down with Huggs telling him how to run his team so Konate can become a first round NBA pick. Well Konate leaves get cut from D league currently playing in Greece. Another Kennedy Christian all  HS American Oscar Tshiebwe quits on his team because Huggs demands hard work. Finall Derek Culver no class no play at WVU. Out but his mother begs Huggs for a second chance. Results top center Big 12 & 3.3 QPA. Tough love buy refusing to comprise your coaching values. Coach Dambrot I believe is a very very nice person based on the following. Sincere Benedict Arnold Carry given the keys to the Cadillac. Norms retired #10. Bekelja handed a roster spot no other Div 1 offers. How about Carry, Norman & Austin quitting on the same day. How selfish to their fellow teammates. Could they have stayed until the end? Actually I’m glad they left. Opportunity for Freshman. However, Old School Coach would say bye bye to Carry’s step brother & Austin who quit. Coach Dambrot is truly a very nice person. But based on the press conference does a lack of tough love help or hurt these young snowflakes. If indeed this country went to war we would be speaking either Russian or Chinese. Our Flag would have a hammer & sickle. I know one thing when I was in college I thought I knew everything but in reality nothing. Coach nice guys finish last. You have comprised your values for snowflakes. All I know is Huggs is a father figure to his players & WVU just wins baby. 

I take it you were not as hard on yourself when you were a young adult as you now expect these players to be treated.

3/06/2021 2:24 pm  #3

Ironduke81, I like your analysis of old school vs new school. It is a different world for old school coaches today.  I like what KD said in Popeye moment.  He has to be true to himself and follow what he thinks is right and not put up with kids who don't like being coached.  Discipline is the key to true success in life as well as basketball.  Kids that accept that will be successful under Dambrot, kids that don't will bring down the whole team if they are allowed to stay.

3/06/2021 2:52 pm  #4

I do think that Dambrot was trying to balance the overall miserable collegiate and athletic experience due to COVID that these guys endured by perhaps overcompensating in trying to keep basketball fun. Perhaps the discipline, practice intensity and personal accountability slipped. In hindsight, that approach didn’t work out.

3/06/2021 4:21 pm  #5

IronDuke, I liked your analysis and if you look at wins/losses Huggy is one of the many effective coaches that wins more than he loses.  However, those type of coaching personalities are just that, it goes with his personality which is...let's face it...overly critical and at times wacked out.  However, for him, it does get results.  Most of the Bobby Knights are gone and he also knows the types of players that will succeed in that environment...but as you pointed out, if they don't they either leave or are pushed out.  With that said, I also believe he is a better coach than Dambrot as are a few of the other coaches in the A-10.  Yes, Dambrot has come along and saved the program and I DO appreciate him and want him to stay....who else is going to come here?  But for sake of a disagreement, the A-10 is more difficult than the MAC and needs a higher level of a player.

We have done much better with him but I am still waiting for my wish:  An NIT or NCAA game every couple of years.  So far, he hasn't gotten us there.  

Go Dukes!

3/06/2021 5:01 pm  #6

Fam I appreciate your response. But if you met Huggins saw his practices he bust balls & is a father figure a lot of theses kids. Look at his record. Can’t believe he is not in the basketball hall of fame. The irony he can care less about how people view him unlike Coach Cal. Secondly, he does not cheat unlike Duke, N. Carolina & Kansas. He recruits 2 & 3 stars coaches them up. He is not crazy like Bobby Knight. I bet if you ask Coach Dambrot his opinion of Coach Huggins he would agree with my response. Again I admire a coach that maintains his coach philosophy. I believe that Coach Dambrot will go back to his core. If players leave so be it. 

3/06/2021 5:24 pm  #7

FAM wrote:

IronDuke, I liked your analysis and if you look at wins/losses Huggy is one of the many effective coaches that wins more than he loses.  However, those type of coaching personalities are just that, it goes with his personality which is...let's face it...overly critical and at times wacked out.  However, for him, it does get results.  Most of the Bobby Knights are gone and he also knows the types of players that will succeed in that environment...but as you pointed out, if they don't they either leave or are pushed out.  With that said, I also believe he is a better coach than Dambrot as are a few of the other coaches in the A-10.  Yes, Dambrot has come along and saved the program and I DO appreciate him and want him to stay....who else is going to come here?  But for sake of a disagreement, the A-10 is more difficult than the MAC and needs a higher level of a player.

We have done much better with him but I am still waiting for my wish:  An NIT or NCAA game every couple of years.  So far, he hasn't gotten us there.  

Go Dukes!

Agree with much of this, but there is no doubt there are some young good coaches who would jump at the opportunity to coach Duquesne especially with the new Field House.

3/06/2021 5:35 pm  #8

Ironduke81 wrote:

Half these kids may have born into poverty. I don't know and we don't know. Hardly spoiled i'd think. Not sure what the reference to a snowflake means. Up here in the Adirondacks "snowflakes" are pretty bad ass as they'll dump three feet at a time, 15 feet a year, which means shoveling heavy ass stuff for eight hour some days. Austin didn't quit he came back. Lost his sister and best friend last year, so I don't think it's fair to even mention him.

3/06/2021 6:53 pm  #9

Rayrich wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Half these kids may have born into poverty. I don't know and we don't know. Hardly spoiled i'd think. Not sure what the reference to a snowflake means. Up here in the Adirondacks "snowflakes" are pretty bad ass as they'll dump three feet at a time, 15 feet a year, which means shoveling heavy ass stuff for eight hour some days. Austin didn't quit he came back. Lost his sister and best friend last year, so I don't think it's fair to even mention him.

Wait you voted for Bernie. Please Frosty.

3/06/2021 7:29 pm  #10

Are we sending snowflakes to Afghanistan and Syria?  Hell, someone should look in to that.  As to basketball, if easy transfers were possible back in my day, the roads would be littered with them.   Who would have stayed when Norman jumped them?  Coach D is 62.  To me he’s a youngster.  Don’t hyperventilate, the Dukes aren’t good enough yet.  If Duquesne only had Jack Yun now..::  And to use this (profanity) year as a measuring stick?  C’mon man.  God bless all here.

3/06/2021 7:55 pm  #11

I give KD a bye this year.
He had the team going good last season at 21-9 before the a10 tournament
then no tournament and the virus hit which affected practice, recruiting and
scheduling
even worse, pushed the completion of coopers.
Another year at other gyms and practices and conditioning at powers
I recall the three game conference win streak. Team was hot ready to play then
another virus problem no games for two weeks.  
During all of this, he loses 3 out of 5 starters yet manages to field a competitive team
KD explained the 3 players that left and the freshmen turned out to be good.  
Harper said that coopers would enable the dukes to 'shop on a higher shelf' which
interpret means better players.
I say we wait and see.

3/06/2021 8:00 pm  #12

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Are we sending snowflakes to Afghanistan and Syria? Hell, someone should look in to that. As to basketball, if easy transfers were possible back in my day, the roads would be littered with them. Who would have stayed when Norman jumped them? Coach D is 62. To me he’s a youngster. Don’t hyperventilate, the Dukes aren’t good enough yet. If Duquesne only had Jack Yun now..:: And to use this (profanity) year as a measuring stick? C’mon man. God bless all here.

What he says.

Now, Mike, it's time for Jorma's weekly live concert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9riCPaN_e9A

3/06/2021 8:04 pm  #13

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Are we sending snowflakes to Afghanistan and Syria? Hell, someone should look in to that. As to basketball, if easy transfers were possible back in my day, the roads would be littered with them. Who would have stayed when Norman jumped them? Coach D is 62. To me he’s a youngster. Don’t hyperventilate, the Dukes aren’t good enough yet. If Duquesne only had Jack Yun now..:: And to use this (profanity) year as a measuring stick? C’mon man. God bless all here.

Wow angry white liberal. Use the F word. Love it. Loser

3/07/2021 9:24 am  #14

Ironduke81 wrote:

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Wow angry white liberal. Use the F word. Love it. Loser

"COME ON MAN"...sounds familiar..i think the perfect example of Coach D's dilemma will unfold with Chad Baker...a real baller but a bit unhinged at times....discipline, discipline, discipline. How many of this freshman class will be back as well

3/07/2021 10:56 am  #15

Iron Duke, CLK and FAM you all make excellent points and I pretty much agree with all of what you say - especially the "discipline" part.  Remember what they say about one bad apple........and in our case it appears there may be more than one, to which I say SEE YA!!  Now that being said, it is a bit disconcerting that these "emotional connectivity" issues that KD talked about are players HE recruited - although I recognize sometimes it is difficult to predict a young kid's behavior.  Anyway, I am back to what many others recognized - a shortage of A-10 "championship level" talent, period.   As CLK noted on another thread, the only 2 (not counting this year's freshman) over these last 4 years who can compete with the best at their position are Hughes and Marcus.  KD just really missed in his recruiting in years 2 and 3, as noted by my dear friend the GMan, although the whole Maceo issue is a tough one as I believe the kid has talent and he showed it first half of his freshman year.  Not to be beat a dead horse, but Chuck Noll's saying "time to get on with your life's work", applies to a couple of players (MB and AR) on this roster, from a pure A-10 talent level.  If you were brought here to "win championships" then recognize this truth KD. And further consider a little new blood in your decades old staff to open up some new recruiting pipelines if you want to "win championships"!!!!! 

3/07/2021 12:32 pm  #16

Ironduke81 wrote:

Coach Dambrot is truly a very nice person. But based on the press conference does a lack of tough love help or hurt these young snowflakes. If indeed this country went to war we would be speaking either Russian or Chinese. Our Flag would have a hammer & sickle. I know one thing when I was in college I thought I knew everything but in reality nothing. Coach nice guys finish last. You have comprised your values for snowflakes. All I know is Huggs is a father figure to his players & WVU just wins baby. 

Thanks for yet another idiotic non-basketball post. Something else about Huggy that you either ignore or fail to recognize is the man is a walking contradiction. You ooze over the fact that he demands discipline and all this from the players yet the man himself is a fat slob with a drinking problem, that has made an ass of himself plenty of times in public, including a youth basketball camp in Pittsburgh where he was obviously inebriated in the middle of a day. Your right tough guy, quite a role model. Also what war did you serve in keyboard warrior?

The reality is there is plenty of ways good programs win. Some with superior talent, some with the press and D, some with leaning on one star player. The key is to have some type of identity, and it’s still tough to say exactly what ours is under Dambrot. He wants to build through the post, so we need to see that from Dre and Hima and better guard play at least to start.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/07/2021 12:43 pm)

3/07/2021 12:43 pm  #17

Ironduke81 wrote:

Love it. Loser

Since your taking the time to insult someone else on this board yet again I think I can speak for myself and others to say you are truly a complete ass hat and I look forward to continue laughing at all of your predictable, fake tough guy mansplaining posts now and in the future “iron” man.

3/07/2021 12:43 pm  #18

Ok Duquesne 102 your a tough guy posting out of your moms basement. Speaking of idiotic post you never even met Coach Huggins. Obviously due to my friendship with Ron I have become a WVU fan. You are a punk.

3/07/2021 12:47 pm  #19

Ironduke81 wrote:

Ok Duquesne 102 your a tough guy posting out of your moms basement. Speaking of idiotic post you never even met Coach Huggins. Obviously due to my friendship with Ron I have become a WVU fan. You are a punk.

I may be a punk, but you certainly didn’t major in English or grammar at Duquesne.

Since we have no idea who each other is I will correct you and say that I indeed do not live in my Moms basement (she doesn’t have a basement). I liked Ron too, doesn’t mean I’m going to fawn over a semi successful coach because he gave him a job.

3/07/2021 1:29 pm  #20

Yeah from the guy that called me a racist when I referred to the Chinese Communist as Chicoms. I guess you never heard of Taiwan (Republic of China). Both Chinese one Communist the other a Republic. That’s what little boys do angry at the world because of your pathetic life. Look up definition Merriam-Webster boy genius.

3/07/2021 1:35 pm  #21

Ironduke81 wrote:

Yeah from the guy that called me a racist when I referred to the Chinese Communist as Chicoms. I guess you never heard of Taiwan (Republic of China). Both Chinese one Communist the other a Republic. That’s what little boys do angry at the world because of your pathetic life. Look up definition Merriam-Webster boy genius.

Nothing like creating your own narrative! I wish you knew one thing about me so you would understand how stupid you sound yet again.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/07/2021 1:36 pm)

3/07/2021 6:25 pm  #22

Alright everyone take a breath and go to their own corners and come out talking basketball without personal attacks.

3/08/2021 8:54 am  #23

VBC wrote:

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

What he says.

Now, Mike, it's time for Jorma's weekly live concert.

Thanks VBC, I've missed the last several of Jorma's shows.

3/08/2021 2:40 pm  #24

wharfrat58 wrote:

Thanks VBC, I've missed the last several of Jorma's shows.

What does a guy at a Grateful Dead show say, an hour after he runs out of weed?  "Boy this band sucks!"  Sorry Brother, couldn't resist! 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/08/2021 6:14 pm  #25

KD was interviewed on The Fan's Morning Show today.  Here's a link to the audio:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/duquesne-head-basketball-coach-keith-dambrot/id930096547?i=1000512085307

Board footera