Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2021 6:16 pm  #2

Re: Lamar Norman Commits To Western Michigan

Probably a good spot for him to land. If he overcomes his streaky shooting he will probably score a lot of points there.

3/09/2021 8:12 pm  #3

Wishing Lamar well! Think he put in the work but may have been in just a little over his head.
All basketball dads think their child is the next headliner but they are looking thru rose colored lenses.
Good luck Lamar at your new school.

3/10/2021 3:22 am  #4

Closer to home in Grand Rapids. Maybe he can have more success there but I don't think I'll ever understand leaving a team halfway through a season that doesn't even count toward eligibility anyway. Especially when you have the fourth most minutes and start.

3/10/2021 10:54 am  #5

Quite a few players in the A10 did the same thing. Since the NCAA requires them to put in two semesters at their new schools, I think they can be eligible as early as this December if they transfer mid-year.

More evidence that Keith continues to recruit at the MAC level, which makes Duquesne a solid MAC team--better than we were under Ferry--but still only about middle-of-the-pack in the A10. Maybe the Coop will help him raise his recruiting game.

3/10/2021 2:04 pm  #6

Dennis,
I love we have Dambrot but I have been saying this all along.  He recruits at the MAC level - totally agree.

3/11/2021 3:14 pm  #7

Hughes, Weathers, Carry, Martin-clearly not able to hold their own in the A10. 

3/11/2021 3:51 pm  #8

Am I forgetting someone, who is Martin?  Regardless, I think the point that Dennis made is valid, in that a lot of time elapsed between the original transfer class with Hughes and Marcus, the current crop of freshmen that athletically can at least compete in the A-10; IF they get stronger and work to improve their games.  They have the athleticism that can be developed; but they need to be better basketball players.  My impression is that the top A-10 programs get guys who also have the athleticism; but are more complete basketball players than our incoming recruits.  Some may be more physically developed, others seem to be further along in terms of basketball skills.  It just seems that Duquesne isn't able to attract this type of player at this juncture in the process.  

3/11/2021 4:16 pm  #9

levon1975 wrote:

Am I forgetting someone, who is Martin?  Regardless, I think the point that Dennis made is valid, in that a lot of time elapsed between the original transfer class with Hughes and Marcus, the current crop of freshmen that athletically can at least compete in the A-10; IF they get stronger and work to improve their games.  They have the athleticism that can be developed; but they need to be better basketball players.  My impression is that the top A-10 programs get guys who also have the athleticism; but are more complete basketball players than our incoming recruits.  Some may be more physically developed, others seem to be further along in terms of basketball skills.  It just seems that Duquesne isn't able to attract this type of player at this juncture in the process.  

TDM

3/11/2021 5:13 pm  #10

If I throw out Keith's first year, since it was mostly with the players he inherited from Jim Ferry, we're 28-22 in conference play with finishes of 6th, 5th and 9th place. In those three seasons, we've gone a cumulative 2-14 against the top four teams in the conference in each of those years. While we've become known for playing tough defense, we've also been poor in offensive rebounding and outside shooting. So yes, the players he's brought in have helped turn us into a respectable middle-of-the-pack A10 program but we're clearly not ready to take our place among the elite teams in the conference. We need even better players to do that. I do think the current freshman class is a step in the right direction. I just hope those kids stick around and develop here.

3/11/2021 5:19 pm  #11

Very fair point Dennis 91, which is what CLK and reiterated in the other thread about who we want back next year.

3/11/2021 5:21 pm  #12

pressurecooker wrote:

Hughes, Weathers, Carry, Martin-clearly not able to hold their own in the A10. 

Tongue-in-cheek?  I hope so.

3/11/2021 6:38 pm  #13

Well, just the facts...I’ll bite.  First, let me preference this by saying we are competitive and we have a good coach.  Glad he’s here.  Now reality...Weathers was the only player chosen this year for one of the A-10 teams.  Not that this is the litmus test for results.  But you know what is?  The teams results.  Folks have been upset every year on where we were chosen to finish at the beginning of each A-10 season.  Go back and see where we were chosen and see where we finished. (See Dennis' post above.)   Also, still no NIT or NCAA bid.  None and I mean none of this is said in anger.  I’m excited about the new place and again, I like the coach. But we still haven’t finished high, been to the NCAA, or the NIT.  Go Dukes!

Last edited by FAM (3/11/2021 6:40 pm)

Board footera