Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2021 1:12 pm  #26

Re: Who do we want back?

townsonkid wrote:

A 6'8" C who was a national leader in blocked shots.   

Like i said before, I am torn on the seniors coming back, they each have +/- aspects.   Weathers - would be that Harris might up and leave knowng he will be a backup again.   A Hughes/Hima combo at C would be interesting.   KD can bring in a PG with experience, maybe as a backup, if TDM doesnt come back.

Next year, opening night, I would be excited for this lineup:

PG- Acuff
SG - Baker
SF - Okani
PF - Harris
C - Hima(I watched some tape on him, he has the game and now a year to get bigger and up to speed on college ball).

thats the athletic lineup that would compete for top 4 in the A10 in 2022 or most likely '23   

Maceo, Kelly, Roesing are top reserves, and could start any given nights.

The rest of the roster will be either freshman or tranfers(who no one knows at this point).

I love your optimism. I too have scrounged around to see Hima film. The upside there is like few players that I have seen as a Duquesne fan.

The problem is that his murky scholarship situation, lack of participation this year, & low experience level make him the ultimate wildcard.

Super-long, 6'11" guys that supposedly got serious looks from power 5 schools don't generally choose to be non-qualifier walk-ons at DU if they are just sorting through red tape. There had to be powerful reasons for a player thus described to take a gap year in this way. Some of the possible reasons are reasonably positive but, the majority of them are hard to overcome. (See James Ellis)

Last edited by phil95 (3/08/2021 1:13 pm)

3/08/2021 1:15 pm  #27

First, I would love to see Hughes and Weathers return.  They are not only high level A10 players, they are free scholarships for next season.  The problem the past couple of years was not our post play, it was because collectively our guards were among the worst three point shooters in all of Division I.

Secondly, townsonkid, in my opinion the lineup you mentioned is middle of the pack at best, most likely bottom of the league.  I don't think any of those players would start for any other team except for Baker.  They have potential but they all need serious work on their game to compete with the likes of players on the teams that finished above DU.  We need to take off our beer goggles. 

I like Acuff, but he is not a true point guard.  I think if he works on his ability to drive the ball like Holmes for the Bonnies, and become more consistent on his shooting he can be a good player  We need a high level point guard recruit.

Okani, is a terrific prospect.  But he has to be a more consistent three point shooter and a way better ball handler in limiting his turnovers.  If he does I can see him competing for the SF starting position.  I don't know about Barba.  He is said to be a 6'6" 210 lb sharp shooter, but we know how deceiving reports on recruits have been

Harris is a question mark to me.  He has show real offensive skills, but his defense has not been that great.  Another one who if he has the desire and commitment to put the work in could be a very good player for DU.  I just have a funny feeling that he is not happy.

We have not seen Hima play.  There are certainly big shoes to fill at that position if Mike leaves. I am not sure we have anyone on the roster who can.  

I would like to hear other thoughts on that.

Last edited by CLK (3/08/2021 1:16 pm)

3/08/2021 6:06 pm  #28

Not certain who would take over the center spot if MH decides to move on. Hima a definite wildcard. I'm not certain that Dre was entirely sold on DU when he signed his LOI but hoping I'm wrong about that. PG is the most pressing need as most have already indicated. Acuff needs lots of development to fill that role IMO. Trusting KD and staff to know better than any of us what needs to be done to make us better moving forward. Really hoping that MH sticks around. To me the most important of the original transfers since we have no obvious immediate replacement on the roster. Roesing a total ? for now. Will be an interesting off season.

3/08/2021 7:06 pm  #29

CLK, I like your points and we are on the same page.  It will one hell of an interesting Spring recruiting period and off season.  I agree this is a critical juncture for KD regarding adding talent and subtraction from the roster.  Clearly as seasoned, talented PG is at the top of the list.  If Big Mike doesn't come back we need another big and I say here you need to tap the transfer portal - same as the PG.  We don't have the luxury of bringing in raw and inexperienced players at those 2 positions.  I would still like to see an experienced scorer/shooter added to the line-up, but if we fill the PG and 5 spot if Hughes leaves then I would roll the dice with Baker at the 2, with Maceo potentially stepping up his game after a full off-season to work on his shot and attacking the hoop (which I think speaks to a loss of confidence.  Maceo could be a real wild card here.  The biggest mystery is Dre, is he really happy?  Will he stay if Marcus comes back? Is he part of the non-committed?  Who knows, but we are going to find out a lot about where this program is headed this off season, no question.  With what we have now we don't crack the top 1/3 of the league - as you pointed out CLK.  Ode to Professor 1099......Time Will Tell  

3/08/2021 7:16 pm  #30

I would be happy to see everybody return.  The one addition I would love to see is Micheal Weathers at pg. He is outstanding and better than his brother.  Not sure if he could play next year but that would give the team the best chance to get into the A10 top 3.

I am not as high on Acuff as this board.  I think he has a role but I don't see him as an immediate impact player. Harris and Kelly seem to have athletic upside but it does not translate to games...or has not yet. I would not give up on either. Hima needs to be a back-up next year while he gains strength and learns the speed of the college game.  Bakelja is the perfect back-up pg.  Not everyone is a star...he would give the starter 8-10 minutes of solid play.  I like him as the long term back-up.  TDM needs to be instant energy and offense off the bench. If you look at my initial post 4 years ago you will see the same analysis.  KD can use him as needed...a lot more minutes when he is on and less when he is not. I believed he will be far more effective with less minutes and less ball handling responsibilities.

Roesling and Maceo have not lived up to expectations yet but I still believe in both....I think they have big futures.

IMO....next year the Dukes get over the hump.

One more thing...you can win with projects, young guys developing and "look see" guys at all positions except pg.  You can't fall apart for those 8-10 minutes a game. It is far better to have a solid guy who is the back-up that you can count on every game to allow your star starter to get a rest to keep him fresh.  You may not be impressed with MB's upside...he is the perfect back-up and seems ready to accept that role.  I hope he returns.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (3/09/2021 10:03 am)

3/08/2021 9:49 pm  #31

I see Dre, Okani, & Acuff as having strong potential to be mid-level A-10 starters by the end of next season.  Baker already is one & has shown the upside to achieve grander things.  Due to COVID, they just didn't get enough preseason & nonconference work in for recruits of their caliber to be any further along developmentally.  To expect more than this from them before their junior year seems like a bad bet.

Amari seems to be in the same boat as the Freshmen 4 in that he most needs a healthy offseason & nonconference slate during which he works like a madman & gets a mandatory 20 minutes per game. If his feel for the game, hands, & ability to defend within the KD's system don't grow to the point that they add to the value his athleticism & scoring knack create by the start of the conference season, he will never be more than a backup at this level.

I feel strongly that if Maceo elects to be a Duke next year, he will be a strong contributor with a chance to flourish. 

Although Hima & Roesing both intrigue me to some extent, unless some seniors hang around for a 6th year, it can't be said with any certainty whether it matters or not if anyone else returns. Neither Rotroff nor Bekelja has any chance of being a catalyst for keeping the program on an upward trajectory.

Bring on the high-value transfers!

3/09/2021 7:27 am  #32

Dsnyder15 wrote:

I would be happy to see everybody return. The one addition I would love to see is Micheal Weathers at pg. He is outstanding and better than his brother. Not sure if he could play next year but that would give the team the best chance to get into the A10 top 3.

I am not as high on Acuff as this board. I think he has a role but I don't see him as an immediate impact player. Harris and Kelly seem to have athletic upside but it does not translate to games...or has not yet. I would not give up on either. Hima needs to be a back-up next year while he gains strength and learns the speed of the college game. Bakelja is the perfect back-up pg. Not everyone is a star...he would give the starter 8-10 minutes of solid play. I like him as the long term back-up. TDM needs to be instant energy and offense off the bench. If you look at my initial post 4 years ago you will see the same analysis. KD can use him as needed...a lot more minutes when he is on and less when he is not. I believed he will be far more effective with less minutes and less ball handling responsibilities.

Roesling and Maceo have not lived up to expectations yet but I still believe in both....I think they have big futures.

One more thing...you can win with projects, young guys developing and "look see" guys at all positions except pg. You can't fall apart for those 8-10 minutes a game. It us far better to have a solid guy who is the back-up that you can count on every game to allow your star starter to get a rest to keep him fresh. You may not be impressed with MB's upside...he is the perfect back-up and seems ready to accept that role. I hope he returns.

D Snyder, you've obviously picked up that DU disease goin around Pgh for nigh 40 years now:  you know the one that always ends in "wait til next year!"  Always enjoy your posts though and respect your BB IQ.  The stubborn fact is that KD has unfortunately returned DU to its apparent rightful place as A-10 Bottom Feeder the same as his predecessor, like a broken record.  Before your time, Jim Ferry was loudly criticized for players being out of position and lo and behold Coach D playing the same tune.  Other than the 3 transfers from day 1 plus real find in Carry, what exactly has KD's recruiting past 4 years achieved?  No legit front court with Hughes a forward, Weathers a tweener.  Since then KD has been sitting on his hands adding nothing.  Only Rotroff remains from all the Ohio bigs going on 4 years now.  2022 will see nothing new as DU remains firmly esconced an A-10 Bottom Feeder.

3/09/2021 8:22 am  #33

With all the misfortune that befell the team this past season, I really find it difficult to base a final judgement of the program to date on this season. First,  I believe that we finished 9th out of 14 teams which, IMO doesn't make us a bottom feeder. Again, without 2 players leaving, Maceo electing to sit out a bunch of games, and two Covid shutdowns, the team would have done much better. Again my opinion. The first three years went relatively well with 56 wins vs. 38 losses which I was thrilled with as were most of the folks on this board. Not going to get long winded here but I really believe that KD and staff will get this going and build on the past season with the outstanding freshman here along with future recruits which we know absolutely nothing about at this point. I will continue to trust the process that I still believe in. GO DUKES

3/09/2021 10:45 am  #34

I get the frustration Hilltopper. This was supposed to be THE year for the Dukes. Four starters back for their third year as starters. A good freshman class to provide a spark and depth. The guys who got injured were healthy. The arena was opening up. This was our year! Then we went .500 and won't sniff the postseason again. So I get the frustration. Part of the reason this year was so important is because of the recruiting misses you mentioned. Still calling us a bottom feeder is a gross exaggeration. We've now finished .500 or better in conference three years in a row. We never did that even two years in a row before. 500 is by definition not a bottom feeder. We aren't where we want to be (and where Dambrot has promised he'll get us), no doubt about that. We aren't a bottom feeder though. Dambrot may not be our savior, but the only one of the past seven coaches you can even remotely compare to him is Everhart.

Last edited by luckymcd (3/09/2021 10:47 am)

3/09/2021 10:45 am  #35

Those 4 freshman grown up next year, with Weathers and Hughes, if they come back, would be a solid team.   Again, I just hope the freshman stay.   We'll see.....fingers crossed.

3/09/2021 2:09 pm  #36

townsonkid wrote:

Those 4 freshman grown up next year, with Weathers and Hughes, if they come back, would be a solid team.   Again, I just hope the freshman stay.   We'll see.....fingers crossed.

Ditto that! Those 6 plus Maceo, Amari, Roesing (maybe), Hima (big maybe), and other possible transfers which are unknown to us at this time, would put us right back on the path that we were traveling on in year 3.

3/09/2021 4:07 pm  #37

CLK wrote:

First, I would love to see Hughes and Weathers return.  They are not only high level A10 players, they are free scholarships for next season.  The problem the past couple of years was not our post play, it was because collectively our guards were among the worst three point shooters in all of Division I.

Secondly, townsonkid, in my opinion the lineup you mentioned is middle of the pack at best, most likely bottom of the league.  I don't think any of those players would start for any other team except for Baker.  They have potential but they all need serious work on their game to compete with the likes of players on the teams that finished above DU.  We need to take off our beer goggles. 

I like Acuff, but he is not a true point guard.  I think if he works on his ability to drive the ball like Holmes for the Bonnies, and become more consistent on his shooting he can be a good player  We need a high level point guard recruit.

Okani, is a terrific prospect.  But he has to be a more consistent three point shooter and a way better ball handler in limiting his turnovers.  If he does I can see him competing for the SF starting position.  I don't know about Barba.  He is said to be a 6'6" 210 lb sharp shooter, but we know how deceiving reports on recruits have been

Harris is a question mark to me.  He has show real offensive skills, but his defense has not been that great.  Another one who if he has the desire and commitment to put the work in could be a very good player for DU.  I just have a funny feeling that he is not happy.

We have not seen Hima play.  There are certainly big shoes to fill at that position if Mike leaves. I am not sure we have anyone on the roster who can.  

I would like to hear other thoughts on that.

A dose of reality CLK, very good synopsis!

3/09/2021 6:37 pm  #38

Hilltopper wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

I would be happy to see everybody return. The one addition I would love to see is Micheal Weathers at pg. He is outstanding and better than his brother. Not sure if he could play next year but that would give the team the best chance to get into the A10 top 3.

I am not as high on Acuff as this board. I think he has a role but I don't see him as an immediate impact player. Harris and Kelly seem to have athletic upside but it does not translate to games...or has not yet. I would not give up on either. Hima needs to be a back-up next year while he gains strength and learns the speed of the college game. Bakelja is the perfect back-up pg. Not everyone is a star...he would give the starter 8-10 minutes of solid play. I like him as the long term back-up. TDM needs to be instant energy and offense off the bench. If you look at my initial post 4 years ago you will see the same analysis. KD can use him as needed...a lot more minutes when he is on and less when he is not. I believed he will be far more effective with less minutes and less ball handling responsibilities.

One more thing...you can win with projects, young guys developing and "look see" guys at all positions except pg. You can't fall apart for those 8-10 minutes a game. It us far better to have a solid guy who is the back-up that you can count on every game to allow your star starter to get a rest to keep him fresh. You may not be impressed with MB's upside...he is the perfect back-up and seems ready to accept that role. I hope he returns.

D Snyder, you've obviously picked up that DU disease goin around Pgh for nigh 40 years now:  you know the one that always ends in "wait til next year!"  Always enjoy your posts though and respect your BB IQ.  The stubborn fact is that KD has unfortunately returned DU to its apparent rightful place as A-10 Bottom Feeder the same as his predecessor, like a broken record.  Before your time, Jim Ferry was loudly criticized for players being out of position and lo and behold Coach D playing the same tune.  Other than the 3 transfers from day 1 plus real find in Carry, what exactly has KD's recruiting past 4 years achieved?  No legit front court with Hughes a forward, Weathers a tweener.  Since then KD has been sitting on his hands adding nothing.  Only Rotroff remains from all the Ohio bigs going on 4 years now.  2022 will see nothing new as DU remains firmly esconced an A-10 Bottom Feeder.

Remember not long ago when there was this really long stretch where Duquesne rarely even SNIFFED .500? You can't really be objective about this year. Covid screwed up the world.
After reading this information on the Duquesne postgame notes online following the St. Bonaventure game, one must wonder if the term "bottom feeder" includes teams finishing at or above .500 for four straight seasons (including 21 wins last year before covid robbed the team of maybe a few more victories in the the postseason):
*This is the first time since 2008-12 (five in a row) that Duquesne (9-9) has finished at .500 or better for four consecutive seasons. This is the 17th straight season Keith Dambrot has finished .500 or better (including 13 seasons at Akron).
*Dambrot is the first Duquesne coach since Donald "Dudey" Moore (1949-58) to finish at .500 or better in his first four seasons on The Bluff.

3/09/2021 7:37 pm  #39

If you heard the post-game comments of KD after the final loss he was most concerned with the lack of focus exhibited in both games and practices throughout the season.  He seemed very disappointed and frustrated by the persistence of the lack of focus.  I was wondering if this might lead to more personnel changes before next season?  Any thoughts?

3/10/2021 12:53 am  #40

I saw this photo taken at the Richmond game.  I think that is Hima in the far right.  I remember there was earlier video showing that he could run the court well, but was painfully thin.  Here, it looks as though he has bulked up a lot.   

3/10/2021 7:15 am  #41

Crosseye wrote:

This is the 17th straight season Keith Dambrot has finished .500 or better (including 13 seasons at Akron).
*Dambrot is the first Duquesne coach since Donald "Dudey" Moore (1949-58) to finish at .500 or better in his first four seasons on The Bluff.

I know it was a small thing, but I think I cheered hardest for that last Rhode Island game win, so Dambrot wouldn't be under. 500, and keep that streak alive, even in this crazy stupid season. 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/10/2021 9:40 am  #42

indygjm wrote:

I saw this photo taken at the Richmond game.  I think that is Hima in the far right.  I remember there was earlier video showing that he could run the court well, but was painfully thin.  Here, it looks as though he has bulked up a lot.   

When Hima first came to the US in 2017 he was really thin, but as shown in the full game video from 2/20 when he played for St. Benedict's he really bulked up.  I suspect after a year of hitting the weights at DU he is even bigger.  This kid has a lot of raw potential, but still needs a lot of coaching and on court experience.  The raw materials are there.

3/11/2021 6:05 pm  #43

Rainy day, no golf today!  Since we don’t know a lot about our 7 footer Hima, for what it’s worth - thought I would watch the St. Benedict/Blair New Jersey Prep A boys championship played about a year ago.  Here are some my observations of a big who is still a little on the raw side:

• He does have a lot of stamina.  Played about half of the first half and most of the 2nd half.  And he easily moves around the court.  Appears to be lean and athletic for a big guy.
  • However, he doesn’t jump or leave his feet enough. If he did, he might be a bit more effective.
  • Didn’t see him play in the paint enough, although that may have been his coach’s instruction—but maybe the reason he didn’t have a lot of rebounds, although he did miss a number of them on which he could have been more aggressive. Might have had 4 rebounds and therefore was a little disappointed he wasn’t more aggressively rebounding. Also he wasn’t always in position for the rebound (maybe too far out).
  • He did play pretty well defensively harassing people in front of him, sometimes reeking havoc inside.  And I counted at least 2 three point block attempts where he should have jumped (& didn’t) allowing the shooter to drop the shots. He did have at least one block of a 3 pointer.  But then a question – ‘should he be defending outside?’
  • Although they didn’t give stats, it appears he had 6 points – two dunks and a layup off the glass.  However on one sequence  he missed two ‘bunnies’ inside.   He had at least one great pass (assist) from outside to someone inside for a score. [Generally big guys] should be the recipient inside for a score, but didn’t see a lot of that.

Although he already has a pretty good physic, for A10 play it wouldn’t hurt for him to bulk up more.  It might help him with his mobility (jumping).  And -- he needs to work on his shooting.  These are definitely ‘doables’ and can make him valuable for a team who currently lacks sufficient rebounding to consistently win in the A10.  I would think that Dambrot has some decent raw ability here to work with [maybe not quite the project some of his past big folks have been].  Dambrot would know at this point if he's made any progress in a year.  However realistically he needs gametime experience.

Last edited by gjgsr (3/11/2021 6:08 pm)

3/11/2021 7:18 pm  #44

I checked verbal commits.
KD made an offer to a HS SR Sam Thompson who is 6' 10"
If he ends up at DU,  I would assume some player movement.
Any info on him?

3/11/2021 8:44 pm  #45

Econ69 wrote:

I checked verbal commits.
KD made an offer to a HS SR Sam Thompson who is 6' 10"
If he ends up at DU,  I would assume some player movement.
Any info on him?

Econ69,check the recruiting section above.  I posted some information about him a couple of weeks ago

3/14/2021 9:14 am  #46

Thompson looks good on HS tape. Doesn't always translate to success at the college level. My big question is how will he keep up on the defensive end. If he can handle that, then I'm all for seeing him in a Dukes uniform. All we ever see are offensive highlights for the most part. Too many bigs have washed out here as of late including one who is currently on the team.

3/14/2021 12:34 pm  #47

Crosseye wrote:

Hilltopper wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Remember not long ago when there was this really long stretch where Duquesne rarely even SNIFFED .500? You can't really be objective about this year. Covid screwed up the world.
After reading this information on the Duquesne postgame notes online following the St. Bonaventure game, one must wonder if the term "bottom feeder" includes teams finishing at or above .500 for four straight seasons (including 21 wins last year before covid robbed the team of maybe a few more victories in the the postseason):
*This is the first time since 2008-12 (five in a row) that Duquesne (9-9) has finished at .500 or better for four consecutive seasons. This is the 17th straight season Keith Dambrot has finished .500 or better (including 13 seasons at Akron).

Good point CROSSEYE. Covid  19 destroyed lives, families, economies, businesses, education & yes sports on every level. After 41 years & counting to reach an invite to the big dance Duquesne fans are frustrated. No home court, weight room decent practice facilities Dambrot had his hands full. Hopefully, next year the A10 preseason scheduling can get some big power 5 wins & get 4 bids. If the Dukes can avoid the annual letdowns to the GW’s,Lasalle, Fordham & St. Joes they may have a chance for a bid. This year is crucial for transfers to fill any voids. Point guard, 2 guard scorer and big a must. Watching Bonnies(all Jrs) & VCU(Frosh/Sophs big mountain to climb. Must finish 3rd or 4th depending upon the Dukes success in the preseason tournament. If not 42 years & counting. 

Board footera