Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2021 10:21 am  #26

Re: Micah Shrewsberry reportedly the new HC at Penn State

El Presidente wrote:

At this point in time, I believe that Mark Schmidt has earned the right to be considered the best HC in the A-10. Really have to give the man his due. Can't even imagine how he is able to recruit at the level that he does.

I don't know that he recruits any better than Keith does. Verbal Commits typically shows them with the lowest recruiting class score in the A10. On one of the conference tourney broadcasts, they mentioned that Lofton and Holmes had no other D1 offers (though Verbal Commits shows Lofton having a handful of mid-major offers). But he certainly does develop his players better and get a lot of mileage out of a roster with little depth. Bonaventure had two players leave their program early this season who would have been part of their rotation had they stayed, Anthony Roberts and Justin Winston. No matter, they won both regular season and conference tourney championships with a 6-man rotation instead of 8. 

They also seem to have made Olean a selling point to recruits giving that Bonaventure basketball is the only game in town. Osunniyi said it was like being in the NBA as far as being a celebrity on campus and in the town.

3/16/2021 10:49 am  #27

Crosseye, in your rebuttal you say “the players lost couldn’t cut it in this league”. Well I have to inform you that he was responsible for bringing in those players. So whose fault would that rest on ? The staff for not properly evaluating talent. Calling Carry and Williams malcontents is a little over the top as they were his recruits and they started from day one for the coach. Williams is such a malcontent that he has been starting for a very good Oregon team and doing well. The jury is still out on Carry’s situation. But you have two players coach recruited going to a better program and a lesser program. For whatever the reason they left, there seems to be a problem. This problem extends to two other players, Norman and Mike Lewis, for whatever reason they left in the middle of the year. Is it that bad where they couldn’t stay the entire year as they were starters but cost themselves a half year of eligibility just to get out immediately. To name players from different schools and the problems they had with the coach or school is just not right. Players and coaches clash everywhere for many different reasons. To call all these players malcontents is absurd.

You go on to say “ Dambrots poor player retention ? Please. Most of the players are still here or graduated.”
I hate to inform you that Dambrot has brought in 21 players and only 6 have stayed and of those 6 only three, transfers TDM, Weathers and M. Hughes have stayed their full tenure excluding grad transfers. This does not include this past freshman class. The status of them or the remaining three holdovers will not be known until the start of next season. The retaining of 29% of your own recruits is not a good number.

You go on to mention how coach beat Travis Ford twice last year. Well in Ford’s 5 years 1 NCAA tournament, probably just missed out on the NCAA’s last year. And was one of the first four out this year having dealt with the same COVID problems that we experienced. By the way, everyone on this board would be ecstatic with these results if it was our program with those results. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that Danny Née in 2004 beat Xavier twice when they went to the elite 8. Ferry also defeated St Louis when they went to the round of 32 in the NCAA and the following year he defeated Dayton when they made the sweet sixteen. Did those accomplishments result in those coaches reaching our goals ? I think not !! You go on to say how we only lost to St. Bonnies by four and beat two NIT teams. You can look over the past twenty years and we had these same type of accomplishments but it doesn’t get us any closer to the top tier of the A ten.

The 21 wins last year was a fabrication of the schedule that Harper put together for the coach. I have gone over this schedule previously and won’t get into that anymore. You then bring in Schmidt of St Bonnies. First and foremost we have put more into our program than they have. Did you Jim Satalin was a former player and coach at St Bonnies. He started for their top five teams of the late 60’s and early 70’s and then went on to coach his beloved school and won an NIT championship as the coach in the late 70’s. He came to Duquesne in the 80’s because he saw a greater commitment to the basketball program from Duquesne. That administration pales in comparison to the commitment that we have here now. So the job Schmidt is doing is remarkable no matter how much it differs in timeline,

Then you go on about wether I have something personal against Dambrot and that I am crying for another coach, I just see an opportunity that two coaches that have been successful in taking teams to the NCAA and are younger and also have some sort of of connection to Duquesne are available. I do not know if something like this will occur in the future. Dambrot came here because of his father and that was his connection to Duquesne. If these two were not available, I would have never mentioned going after a new coach, In my opinion and thought process, it was just a thought. So relax and hope for the best. 

3/16/2021 2:51 pm  #28

phil95 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

You think disparaging a well-regarded university president & insinuating that he is a drunk demonstrates your intelligence? 

Schmidt took over a program that won 24 games in the 4 years before he came. The year before those horrid 4 seasons, the basketball program made national news with a scandal that was so bad it cost the university president his job & nearly led to the program going down to Division II.

He has a minuscule budget to work with, calls a 50+-year-old, crappy arena home, & has to recruit players to the undisputed least attractive program/location in a highly competitive conference. 

In 14 years Schmidt has led the program to 2 regular-season titles, 2 conference tournament championships, a CBI appearance, an NIT bid, & 3 NCAA appearances with 1 tournament win while being named coach of the year twice.

The guy managed to turn Andrew Nicholson into an NBA first-round draft pick.

Over the last 3 years, ​he has turned down Big East, Big 10, & ACC jobs to stay in Olean. He is currently being mentioned as a highly desirable target for 4-5 jobs that neither RE nor KD could get within sniffing distance of.

His teams have gone 10-1 against KD's teams over the last 4 seasons.

Phil95 I am a little confused. I think this guy made his point with facts in an articulate manner. Did you not make his point based upon your comments. Again I am not attacking you. I am a little pissed that he is using my trademark “Quinipiac Clown” without permission. In regard to the Dr. Dewars comment do you think the Cooper Field house would ever have been built with him as President. I understand the school has a conference room named after him in the Power Center. In my opinion the Dr. Chuck room should be placed in the men’s room. The guy was a big disappointment at Duquesne. Good riddance Dr. Chuck.

University administrators have a wide ranging list of responsibilities. Running the basketball program is one of them, but hardly the most important. The president in question has great respect from his peers in his chisen field of endeavor. His overall success at DU is widely recognized.Repeatedly insinuating he is a drunk because the basketball program didn't do very well in his tenure is, short-sighted, insensitive, & juvenile.

As for facts, Crosseye incorrectly reported that Schmidt "coaxed" 2 NCAA bids out of the Bonnies in 14 years; the correct number is 3.

P.S. The idea of canning KD to replace him with a very hot name with serious recruiting chops right now seems both radical & dangerous but, at some point, a bold move of this nature might be needed to complete the process.

Wildwood first of all did I allege Dr Chuck was a drunk. No. Under his tenure what did he do compared to John Murray & the current President. Hmmm Cooper field house. Medical school DO which provides regional country type communities with Doctors. Indeed this school based in Pittsburgh provides a viable market. Dr Chuck had problems with the law school. In fact the Dean Navy Admiral went south to Texas. Again Dr Chuck is not equivalent to me calling him a drunk. Be very careful. Finally, Crosseye said your post was goofy. He did not call you a goofball. Hey you have an opinion regarding Coach Dambrot so be it.

3/16/2021 3:49 pm  #29

Ironduke 81, I have no idea what you are talking about, I believe what you are trying to convey is meant for another poster. I never even commented on a Dr Chuck. But you addressed me on this topic.

3/16/2021 4:26 pm  #30

Wildwood raises some good points in his rebuttal regarding players and program comparisons and schedule but I don't go as far on Coach D as I believe it is not time yet to change coaches. I don't think however he's wrong to question some of the issues that he sees and I think we need to give Coach D a chance with the current crop of freshman that do appear to be his best! I am somewhere close to CLK but maybe closer to Duq81 on talent level but I am optimistic and let's see who Coach D brings in.I will be more concerned if we lose some of young players and or we don't get a top PG and shooter.

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (3/16/2021 4:28 pm)

3/16/2021 6:02 pm  #31

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Wildwood raises some good points in his rebuttal regarding players and program comparisons and schedule but I don't go as far on Coach D as I believe it is not time yet to change coaches. I don't think however he's wrong to question some of the issues that he sees and I think we need to give Coach D a chance with the current crop of freshman that do appear to be his best! I am somewhere close to CLK but maybe closer to Duq81 on talent level but I am optimistic and let's see who Coach D brings in.I will be more concerned if we lose some of young players and or we don't get a top PG and shooter.

Typical response from perhaps one of the classiest @ nicest person I ever played with. God bless Judge Jack

3/16/2021 7:44 pm  #32

Ironduke81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Phil95 I am a little confused. I think this guy made his point with facts in an articulate manner. Did you not make his point based upon your comments. Again I am not attacking you. I am a little pissed that he is using my trademark “Quinipiac Clown” without permission. In regard to the Dr. Dewars comment do you think the Cooper Field house would ever have been built with him as President. I understand the school has a conference room named after him in the Power Center. In my opinion the Dr. Chuck room should be placed in the men’s room. The guy was a big disappointment at Duquesne. Good riddance Dr. Chuck.

University administrators have a wide ranging list of responsibilities. Running the basketball program is one of them, but hardly the most important. The president in question has great respect from his peers in his chisen field of endeavor. His overall success at DU is widely recognized.Repeatedly insinuating he is a drunk because the basketball program didn't do very well in his tenure is, short-sighted, insensitive, & juvenile.

As for facts, Crosseye incorrectly reported that Schmidt "coaxed" 2 NCAA bids out of the Bonnies in 14 years; the correct number is 3.

P.S. The idea of canning KD to replace him with a very hot name with serious recruiting chops right now seems both radical & dangerous but, at some point, a bold move of this nature might be needed to complete the process.

Wildwood first of all did I allege Dr Chuck was a drunk. No. Under his tenure what did he do compared to John Murray & the current President. Hmmm Cooper field house. Medical school DO which provides regional country type communities with Doctors. Indeed this school based in Pittsburgh provides a viable market. Dr Chuck had problems with the law school. In fact the Dean Navy Admiral went south to Texas. Again Dr Chuck is not equivalent to me calling him a drunk. Be very careful. Finally, Crosseye said your post was goofy. He did not call you a goofball. Hey you have an opinion regarding Coach Dambrot so be it.

Be very careful of what? 

You don't even know who or which posts you are replying to.  The post above is mostly concerned with replying to my post on Dr. Dougherty, not Wildwood's rebuttal to Crosseye which you inexplicably switch to at the end of your "Dr. Chuck" rant. Likewise, in this instance, neither I nor Wildwood even so much as alluded to you alleging that Dr. Dougherty is a drunk. That was directed entirely at Crosseye for calling the man Dr. Dewars in the post I quoted & replied to. (and Dr. Dewers in another)

However, if you want to have any credibility with other posters, maybe you should consult your past posts before getting too high & mighty about being misrepresented on supporting the notion that Dr. Dougherty is a drunk. How else would you explain this gem you authored back on 2/27?

Crosseye my old Coach Giblett always warned about rats, They are many especially at the bluff. Coach Bobby Scheetz always said after a blowout burn the tape move on. I love the Dr Dewer comment. He must have been on the Dewers wagon to fire Ron.☘️☘️🤮🤮🤮🥃🥃🥃 Chuch you suck

3/17/2021 9:04 am  #33

Oh brother!  I keep hoping this thread will die.  While there are a lot of good opinions, points and discussions, this thread has now deteriorated into personal attacks.  I am locking this thread.  Time to move on.

Board footera