Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2021 7:29 pm  #26

Re: TDM Returning

I'm pleased as can be that he is returning.  I expect him to have his best season and contribute to an NCAA Tournament team. 

3/17/2021 8:42 pm  #27

levon1975 wrote:

This narrative  that Acuff was somehow shortchanged on playing time is a little old. Remember that the goal is always to play the guys that give you the best shot at winning the game; so can we just assume that the Coach who sees the players practice daily; may actually know more than us about who deserves playing time!

Acuff was 3 for 12 in 27 minutes against St. B

3/17/2021 10:25 pm  #28

Dsnyder15 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

This narrative that Acuff was somehow shortchanged on playing time is a little old. Remember that the goal is always to play the guys that give you the best shot at winning the game; so can we just assume that the Coach who sees the players practice daily; may actually know more than us about who deserves playing time!

Is your point that Acuff didn't shoot very well in that game & that proves that he shouldn't have been getting more playing time?

TDM shot .349 overall &.304 from 3 while having games of 2-8, 2-10, 3-13, 2-11, 1-7  as a fifth-year senior. He led the team in minutes.

3/18/2021 7:56 am  #29

phil95 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

This narrative that Acuff was somehow shortchanged on playing time is a little old. Remember that the goal is always to play the guys that give you the best shot at winning the game; so can we just assume that the Coach who sees the players practice daily; may actually know more than us about who deserves playing time!

Is your point that Acuff didn't shoot very well in that game & that proves that he shouldn't have been getting more playing time?

TDM shot .349 overall &.304 from 3 while having games of 2-8, 2-10, 3-13, 2-11, 1-7  as a fifth-year senior. He led the team in minutes.

Acuff is not a true point guard.  Neither is TDM but is/was more experienced and was called to fill that role.. Not hard to understand.

3/18/2021 9:31 am  #30

CLK wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Acuff is not a true point guard.  Neither is TDM but is/was more experienced and was called to fill that role.. Not hard to understand.

I agree. Yours are the true & a very solid reasons to have TDM as option #1 at PG after Sin's departure. My point is that poor shooting isn't the reason Acuff didn't see more minutes until the end of the season because the coach doesn't seem to use that metric as his primary decision making tool in this instance. Acuff's shooting stats from a particular game don't really offer much insight as to why he got less minutes over the course of the season.

3/18/2021 11:26 am  #31

When Carry, Norman and Austin left the program KD had to scramble to patch big holes at the 1,2 & 3  slots.  TDM was the primary option at PG.  As some may remember passes by freshman to nobody, front to backcourt unforced passes, general inability to handle pressure pretty much limited Acuff and Bekelja minutes at the point early.  To their credit they did improve some later in the season.  I really do not see either as stepping up soon to claim the starting point guard job,  But who knows, you can't measure or stop determination.   

The SG slot was wide open after the departures.  Baker to his credit claimed the starting job and the bulk of the minutes by his ability to score on a team that was scoring challenged particularly from our guards.  This is where the scoring metrics came to play in regards to Acuff minutes. Early some of the SG minutes were being given to the Pitt walk on, but he struggled. Later back up minutes to Baker were split with Acuff, Maceo and Bekelja.   Now personally I though that based on performance Acuff deserved more of the minutes given to Maceo at that spot or Bekelja.  That is another subject.

Likewise, Okani stepped up to claim the SF job.  Maceo was his primary back up.  Okani is a special athlete.  I see him developing into a player like Kayo at Richmond.  Although Acuff may see some time here in a three guard offense, Okani is a lock.  I see his competition next season being Barba  (if he pans out as advertised).

Bottom Line, I think Acuff's minutes were measured by role and performance.  

3/18/2021 11:41 am  #32

I see Acuff as a guy that will end up as a good A-10 backcourt player. Not a superstar nor a full-time PG. That may come as a 3rd or 4th year starter or a 4 year bench guy getting big minutes. I think his combination of size, skills, athleticism, grit, & leadership qualities is a great one.

3/18/2021 7:19 pm  #33

CLK wrote:

When Carry, Norman and Austin left the program KD had to scramble to patch big holes at the 1,2 & 3  slots.  TDM was the primary option at PG.  As some may remember passes by freshman to nobody, front to backcourt unforced passes, general inability to handle pressure pretty much limited Acuff and Bekelja minutes at the point early.  To their credit they did improve some later in the season.  I really do not see either as stepping up soon to claim the starting point guard job,  But who knows, you can't measure or stop determination.   

The SG slot was wide open after the departures.  Baker to his credit claimed the starting job and the bulk of the minutes by his ability to score on a team that was scoring challenged particularly from our guards.  This is where the scoring metrics came to play in regards to Acuff minutes. Early some of the SG minutes were being given to the Pitt walk on, but he struggled. Later back up minutes to Baker were split with Acuff, Maceo and Bekelja.   Now personally I though that based on performance Acuff deserved more of the minutes given to Maceo at that spot or Bekelja.  That is another subject.

Likewise, Okani stepped up to claim the SF job.  Maceo was his primary back up.  Okani is a special athlete.  I see him developing into a player like Kayo at Richmond.  Although Acuff may see some time here in a three guard offense, Okani is a lock.  I see his competition next season being Barba  (if he pans out as advertised).

Bottom Line, I think Acuff's minutes were measured by role and performance.  

Duq was going to win playing through the post after Carry left.  KD needed an experienced guy who knew what was expected and would not panic when things went wrong. TDM was the only option....even if it was not a good option.

A few years ago many on this board expected Ellis to push Hughes to the back-up role and Kelly to start at PF.  Weathers had to improve just to be an effective back-up in the A10. Being "athletic" seemed to be the primary criteria. Acuff seems to be in this category too.  I think he can be an effective player but will have to develop, play defense and practice hard.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (3/18/2021 8:12 pm)

Board footera