Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/27/2013 7:20 am  #1

Micah Mason

Three players who transferred out of Rutgers have been granted waivers by the NCAA to play basketball this season, including one who ended up at Pitt.

Understanding the unusual circumstances there, I've not seen it reported that these players in particular were subject to abuse by Rice. Nevertheless, I don't have an issue with the fact that they can play this year.

I'm generally in favor of more relaxed transfer rules. The exception I would make is if a kid follows a coach or if it seems apparent that he was recruited away by another school. 

But I think that a kid who makes a transfer choice for a reason other than basketball ought to be able to play. Yes, I'm thinking about Micah Mason.

8/27/2013 3:06 pm  #2

Re: Micah Mason

I would be in favor of a player being allowed to transfer without sitting out a year if his head coach was fired or resigned under pressure. I would also allow that player to follow the head coach to a new school. I would not allow the player to transfer to the head coach's new school without sitting out a year if the coach moved on of his own volition. Of course, schools can restrict transfers in such circumstances, but my point assumes the transfer is permitted. I would not apply this exception to assistant coaches.

8/27/2013 4:06 pm  #3

The NCAA probably considered the sheer notoriety of the abuse situation at Rutgers more than the particulars of the treatment of the three approved transfers.

I don't like the level of instability that exists now, so I don't think the NCAA should relax the regulations completely. But a situation like Mason's seems like a no-brainer. Apparently he needs someone to acquire and prepare foods for him to the extent of his mother moving across the Country to get it done. Let him play!

8/28/2013 1:51 pm  #4

Good points gentlemen. Let Micah play!

8/28/2013 3:33 pm  #5

Just glad to have him in school to either help us now or help us later. He might gain something by sitting out a year. Who knows? Good problem to have.

8/28/2013 4:24 pm  #6

I think when you're coming off one of the worst seasons in Duquesne history, it should be all hands on deck. Plus I think you improve against real competition.

Just my opinion.

8/28/2013 7:10 pm  #7

What I question is how the kid from Rutger's was so quickly ok'd by the NCAA to play for Pitt, while Mason's case (medical necessity, which should be a slam dunk) is apparently still undecided.
Also, anyone else see a coincidence in Jeter suddenly announcing to a JC and the Rutger's kid being declared eligible in closely the same time frame?

8/28/2013 9:43 pm  #8

Follow the money. It's as simple as that.

8/29/2013 8:34 am  #9

The Dukes official roster lists Micah wearing # 22.  There is no disclaimer with an asterisk (as was in the case of Ovie last year) that Micah is ineligible for the 2013-2014 year as a transfer.  Should anything be read into this?  Just curious.

8/29/2013 6:33 pm  #10

Gram, this is on Micah's profile page:

Prolific high school scorer returned to western Pennsylvania after spending one season at Drake ... was the top 3-point shooter in the Missouri Valley Conference in 2012-13 ... will sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer guidelines.

8/29/2013 9:36 pm  #11

Thanks!

Board footera