Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2021 10:10 am  #1

Another fun, but in the long run depressing, March Madness moment

Yesterday Abilene Christian University (#14) knocked off #3 Texas in the first round. They were a Division II school until 2012 and were making their SECOND (let that sink in a moment) Big Dance Appearance since 2013!

The sheer ineptitude of the last 45 years for a bigger, richer school that at one time had an actual tradition of basketball excellence is just getting harder and harder to stomach. And thanks to the transfer rules and guys bailing on our team for better teams, just keeps us on the treadmill forever.

Carry and Norman basically put the dagger in any chance we had next year, and probably 2023!

For the record, during the Dark Days of the late 90s early 00s I was in the "Drop to the Patriot League" Camp.  Would have loved to have seen competitive basketball at a slightly lower level and an occasional Big Dance bid every five years or so as opposed to  more stunning Sisyphean incompetence.  I seem to recall then that most of the big donors (the few that were left) balked at the thought.  (I may be incorrect in that memory. It has been so long ago)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/21/2021 1:35 pm  #2

Re: Another fun, but in the long run depressing, March Madness moment

I share your frustration TD. Truly believe that KD and staff are our last and best hope for a basketball resurgence on the Bluff. Taking the last 4 years as a body of work, there is definite movement in that direction. This past year an acknowledged pass for the coaching staff. I have not given up on my dreams of seeing the Dukes in the big dance. The next couple of years will tell the tale IMO. If we don't see continual upward movement next year and the following year, then I do have to question whether or not we will ever see the team we are all hoping for. I am keeping the faith and do expect to see an NCAA appearance within the next 2 years. Critical recruiting this year and next. Lets go DUKES!

3/21/2021 2:36 pm  #3

Hang in guys Dambrots most crucial recruit is to find another Sister Jean. No brained says a full rosary within every commercial break. 

3/21/2021 3:28 pm  #4

Sister Jean just might be the answer!!!

3/21/2021 4:03 pm  #5

Won’t mention the names...but as you know, the Steelers have had priests that have a prayer service/or a Mass before home games.  One of these priests is a good friend of mine.  Before one game after he was finishing his prayers, he asked everyone to also pray for the other team.  The players did aloud as the Priest did, and the team lost the game.  The next week, before Father was done, one of the players spoke up and said Father, do you mind if we don’t pray for the other team this week!

Go Dukes

Last edited by FAM (3/21/2021 4:04 pm)

3/22/2021 11:59 am  #6

There is some hope.  St. Bonaventure used to be a middle of the pack team in the Atlantic-10.  This year they won.  But, if you look at their talent level, it's not truly outstanding, pretty much what it has always been.  What has happened is the A-10 has deteriorated and come down to St. Bonaventure's level.  The A-10 is weak.  They haven't won a first round game in the NCAA's since La Salle's run ages ago.  It would not take an awful lot for Duquesne to improve enough to replace St. Bonaventure as champs.  Meanwhile the A-10 athletic directors have to figure out what to do.  The league has no stars and is not getting any top recruits.  Maybe Duquesne can get two guys to pull itself up until the league improves (if ever).

3/22/2021 5:19 pm  #7

Bilgy wrote:

.  The A-10 is weak.  They haven't won a first round game in the NCAA's since La Salle's run ages ago.  r).

Wow, do you even watch the games or pay attention?  This is one of the most factually challenged statements I have ever read on this board.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (3/22/2021 5:19 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/23/2021 1:02 pm  #8

Bilgy wrote:

The A-10 is weak.

I echoed this sentiment on another thread and drew disagreement. I don't have time now to dig into the history but it seems to me the the A-10 was once a solid 4-bid league with an occasional 5th and an occasional drop to a 3rd-bid. Bill Cowher's most famous quote - "Perception is reality". That is my perception. It has gotten worse and the relaxed transfer rules are killing us. Eric Williams is a starter now on a Sweet 16 team. Isiaha Mike had a solid senior year at SMU. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone. Coach D has done an excellent job of undoing the previous mess. Just like RE did an excellent job of undoing the previous mess that he inherited. And then the slipping and sliding. It is what it is.

Last edited by KenOTR73 (3/23/2021 1:02 pm)

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/23/2021 10:21 pm  #9

KenOTR73 wrote:

Bilgy wrote:

The A-10 is weak.

I echoed this sentiment on another thread and drew disagreement. I don't have time now to dig into the history but it seems to me the the A-10 was once a solid 4-bid league with an occasional 5th and an occasional drop to a 3rd-bid. Bill Cowher's most famous quote - "Perception is reality". That is my perception. It has gotten worse and the relaxed transfer rules are killing us. Eric Williams is a starter now on a Sweet 16 team. Isiaha Mike had a solid senior year at SMU. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone. Coach D has done an excellent job of undoing the previous mess. Just like RE did an excellent job of undoing the previous mess that he inherited. And then the slipping and sliding. It is what it is.

I am not disagreeing with this, but just pointing out that Bilgy  is completely off the mark about hte A 10 having no First Round Tourney wins in a couple of decades. That is just ludcirous.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (3/23/2021 10:22 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/24/2021 12:18 pm  #10

KenOTR73 wrote:

Bilgy wrote:

The A-10 is weak.

Given the new landscape ( ease of transfer ) the A-10 would have a really tough time returning to the days or 4 or 5 bids.

I think what we are gonna see ( assuming immediate eligibility for 1st time transfers , scholly limits remain at 13 , etc ..) is the leagues best players getting picked off by other programs if they develop rapidly in their 1st 2 years in the respective A-10 program. No A-10 school ( excluding Dayton - maybe ) may be immune to this scenario.

It is going to be hard, not impossible however,  to keep a nucleus together long enough to achieve the continuity needed to really have a go at it.

3/25/2021 3:31 pm  #11

I didn't say decades.  I said since La Salle's  run ages ago.  That was in 2012 when they went to the Elite 8.  I don't think an A-10 Team has won in the first round since.  St. Bonaventure won a play in game, but not a first rounder.

3/25/2021 3:49 pm  #12

In 2014 Dayton went to the elite 8 and 2015 they went to the sweet 16

Last edited by Wildwood13 (3/25/2021 3:50 pm)

3/25/2021 4:02 pm  #13

Bilgy wrote:

I didn't say decades.  I said since La Salle's  run ages ago.  That was in 2012 when they went to the Elite 8.  I don't think an A-10 Team has won in the first round since.  St. Bonaventure won a play in game, but not a first rounder.

You're still way off, Bilge. LaSalle made it to the Elite 8 in 2013. Since then:
- Dayton made it to the Elite 8 in 2014 and Sweet 16 in 2015 (and probably would have been a No. 1 seed in 2020).
- St. Louis beat NC State in the first round in 2014.
- VCU beat Oregon State in the first round in 2016.
- St. Joe's beat Cincinnati in the first round in 2016.
- Rhode Island beat Creighton in the first round in 2017 and Oklahoma in the first round in 2018.

So it's only three years since an A10 team has won a first round NCAA tourney game and 10 NCAA tourney wins altogether for the A10 since LaSalle's Elite 8 run, plus Bonaventure beating UCLA in the 12-seed play-in round in 2018. The A10 has had quite a few first-round flameouts however and I would agree that this year, which was supposed to be a strong year for the conference, didn't end so well. 

Last edited by DennisC91 (3/25/2021 4:06 pm)

Board footera