Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2021 9:08 pm  #1

This can't be

the same Eric Williams. This fella passed the ball twice in less then a minute.

3/28/2021 9:11 pm  #2

Re: This can't be

Well, just like with TJ when the Dukes got mentioned Duquesne gets mentioned as the team Eric Williams started for in his Freshman and Sophomore years. So glad we can help these teams with players who transfer out do so well.

3/28/2021 10:05 pm  #3

Watching the game I see EW does a lot of standing around the 3 point line still.

3/29/2021 11:04 am  #4

God bless Eric! Happy to see him do so well. Happy for Brandon Wade at Michigan, too.

3/29/2021 12:40 pm  #5

ElDuque wrote:

God bless Eric! Happy to see him do so well. Happy for Brandon Wade at Michigan, too.

Great! Let's just accept what we are, a AAA team for the big colleges. Awesome!

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (3/29/2021 12:43 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/29/2021 1:02 pm  #6

Tejas_Duke wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I thought you were better than this, man. 

3/29/2021 1:50 pm  #7

Williams was not impressive; looked lost on offense; still very limited to taking shots that are set up by teammates.  Eric can’t get his own shot.  He scored 2 points in 29 minutes; did get 6 rebounds; but clearly is not someone the coach wants shooting the ball.  I saw him calling for the ball often; but rarely getting it.  I can’t imagine he is happy; even with all the Nike perks from playing for “The Main Office” team of Nike Corporate!  He is a bit player; with tight restrictions on shooting.  Bottom line; he could leave Oregon after the season and not be missed. 
Think of his transfer as someone on “TheOffice” from Scranton getting transferred to Corporate in NYC and getting lost in the shuffle!  Little fish in a big pond! 
I reflect on Norm Nixon; a guy who did play in the NBA commenting that playing at Duquesne helped to make him a complete player; because he did so many different things to help the team.  If you play at a bigger school you play for powerful coaches they tell you your role on the team; and don’t dare step out of that role.  It is very limiting for a player that has aspirations of playing professionally. 
I think Williams is experiencing that right now.  You get the glory of playing for Corporate Nike; but is it really benefitting him in growing as a player?

Last edited by levon1975 (3/29/2021 10:39 pm)

3/29/2021 6:34 pm  #8

ElDuque wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I thought you were better than this, man. 

What? I am not allowed to opine on what many of us feel right now, going back to TJ?  You can also add Mike Lewis to the list as well, as he went to Nevada, right before the coach pulled the rug out from under the whole program! I don't wish anyone ill, but a bit of schadenfreude in these cases I think is fitting.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/29/2021 6:52 pm  #9

Got to let these things go at this point. I'm just so impressed that this current coaching staff is reaching out to so many under the radar players who could fill so many voids and needs at this point. The Gunn signing (dude looks like a stud), the Tre Williams signing, the Spears signing. These guys are doing their due diligence. Embrace it at this point and forget the past already.  Get a couple more needs and we are dancing next year. No doubt in my mind. All positive.

3/29/2021 7:20 pm  #10

Ray I agree, but in my opinion the quality of this recruiting class  and our ability to move up, rest on the quality of next two recruits (grad transfer PG and F mentioned by Vukovan). We absolutely need players who can put up big scoring numbers (high percentage shooters) who can also  drive the ball and dish. 

Based on positions we are recruiting at I would not be surprised to see three more recruits.

With over 1,000 players now in the portal in to select from, KD has options and needs to get it right.

3/29/2021 7:24 pm  #11

CLK wrote:

Ray I agree, but in my opinion the quality of this recruiting class and our ability to move up, rest on the quality of next two recruits (grad transfer PG and F mentioned by Vukovan). We absolutely need players who can put up big scoring numbers (high percentage shooters) who can also drive the ball and dish.

Based on positions we are recruiting at I would not be surprised to see three more recruits.

Good points CLK. Austin Butler from Latrobe who averaged 16 pts 8 plus rebounds at Holy Cross would definitely fill one of those needs. The guy is a warrior.

Last edited by Rayrich (3/29/2021 7:56 pm)

3/29/2021 8:33 pm  #12

When the subject of promising players that transferred out is being discussed, I always wonder how I would advise my own son if leaving the program raised his chances of making a spectacular living playing basketball by 30% or 50%, or 75%.

it seems like TJ's parents got it right. Does that the people advising guys like Micah or Damian Saunders got it wrong? How about Melquan Bolding, Tarin Smith, & Frankie Hughes?

Board footera