Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2021 6:41 pm  #2

Re: DU Offers 6'7" Temple Transfer JP Moorman

I am thinking that we will soon see some DU names in the transfer portal

3/24/2021 7:26 pm  #3

I'd take this kid, like the size and Temple is a good program that plays a good level competition.  CLK I think you are right about seeing some DU names in the portal..........just a matter of time.

3/24/2021 7:40 pm  #4

My guess is Marcus is not coming back, so what I'd like to see is keep the 4 freshman (Acuff, Dre, Baker & Okani), MHughes comes back (really need him in the middle), Barna is added (I checked and he had some good offers - Tulane, Texas A&M, Kent State) along with transfers at the PF, PG and a SG/scorer.  Incoming quality would make me very happy and addition by subtraction of a couple of our current guys.  If Hughes comes back then a transfer big is not as critical as Hima can eat some minutes and develop and we still have Kelly. Time will tell........

3/24/2021 8:45 pm  #5

I think we are going to be losing a lot of guys like elsewhere, some may be out on our end/wishing. People worried about the D2 kid replacing Marcus, who knows, he could be replacing Rotroff. This seton hall point guard? What if he replaces Roesing and we still get a parham to be the starter? Would be absolutely pumped with those roster upgrades.

KD is looking to improve this roster big time from last year, and has alluded to the quasi free agency that is now the transfer portal many times, don’t think KD won’t be playing in that arena.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see 5/6 names not return from last years team. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same number of names coming in. Gonna be an interesting summer, I would just be patient and watch the roster take shape.

3/24/2021 8:53 pm  #6

This new transfer rule is going to change the recruiting landscape of college basketball entirely and it will happen very quickly if it is kept in place. If you are a coach and have access to hundreds of college level players every year that can move up or down conferences and you have college tape and 1-3 years of eligibility, why would you waste your time recruiting high school kids who are totally unprojectable at the college level and will likely leave in 2 years max anyway?

Every year you will have a different roster and it will just turn into a total arms race to acquire talent. We only get these kids for 4 years max anyway, I kind of like the new model.

For example take a lower tier power 5 conference team like a Wake, DePaul, Nebraska, Kansas State (Pitt!!!). What if they took Grady from Davidson and guys like that and built a mid-major all-star team to compete in those conferences, they would be a competitive team in a power 5! Better results than they would get getting the level of recruits they do out of high school to play in those conferences.

Feels like that’s where things are heading....

Last edited by Duques102 (3/24/2021 8:58 pm)

3/24/2021 10:35 pm  #7

D102 very good analysis and you are certainly right, we are seeing a seismic shift in recruiting as a result of these new rules.  I think eventually it will find a balance out if the NCAA makes the rule on transferring without sitting out permanent.  It will not be all in favor of the schools or the players and neither the player nor the school wants to be caught shorthanded so to speak.  Wait to long and the player may not land where he wants, don't offer soon enough and the school might get left empty.  I think a good approach will be to try to get a transfer with at least 2 maybe 3 years of eligibility and that way you have them for more than 1 year and they can't easily transfer again without sitting out.  A different world for sure, but time will tell.  

3/24/2021 11:10 pm  #8

The successful coaches (KD?) will adjust to the changing landscape. I suspect he will handle it better than many. Believe there will still be a place for HS recruits but not like before. No telling how that will play out though with all coaches scouring the portal. A real game changer. Will be interesting. The 4* or 5* recruits will still be highly sought after but coaches will be less willing to take a chance on lesser HS players I imagine.

Last edited by El Presidente (3/24/2021 11:19 pm)

3/26/2021 4:26 pm  #10

Really appreciate the leg work you've done CLK. Always look forward to seeing your posts. I really like our chances here and think this would be a really nice addition in this crazy world of transfers..

3/26/2021 5:55 pm  #11

3/29/2021 6:12 pm  #12

Committed to UC Riverside

3/29/2021 7:31 pm  #13

Sometimes I scratch my head when I hear the final choices of some players. I guess they have their reasons for their selection of schools. 

3/29/2021 7:42 pm  #14

El Presidente wrote:

Sometimes I scratch my head when I hear the final choices of some players. I guess they have their reasons for their selection of schools. 

Yes. You'll give yourself a headache trying to figure this stuff out. Don't blame guys going to mid majors and making a name for themselves. Dukes need a forward and shooting guard at this point. The Weather brothers would fill that need, but don't think that's happening. Keep plugging away and let's see what happens.

Board footera