Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2021 9:36 am  #26

Re: D2 PF Transfer R. J. Gunn Commits to DU

Thanks Indy, that is insightful and WashPa your point is well taken too.

3/23/2021 10:39 am  #27

Townson's explanation makes the most sense to me. A big body, athletic, nice shooting touch, mature, experienced, someone who can come in for a year and take some of the pressure off Harris in filling Weathers' big shoes. But probably not destined to be a star at the A10 level as he was at D2. But who knows, there are some recent precedents for players that made the successful leap from D2 to D1. Max Strus led DePaul in scoring three years ago after transferring up from Lewis. He now plays for the Miami Heat. The year before that, Derrick White averaged over 18 points a game for Colorado after transferring up from Colorado Springs. He was drafted at the end of the first round by San Antonio that year and still plays for them today. More players transfer down than up--you get immediate eligibility when you transfer down, have to sit out a year when you transfer up--but with Covid, Gunn gets a graduate transfer bonus year so he's taking advantage of the opportunity and lets hope it pays off for him and the Dukes.

3/23/2021 10:45 am  #28

Can someone clarify the COVID and transfer rules for me?  Here are some of my questions:
1.  Does every class/year get an additional year of eligibility or is it limited to current seniors?  I other words if you played this year as a Junior do you still have 2 more years of eligibility?  
2.  With this new transfer rule can anyone transfer from one school to another and not have to sit out a year?
3.  And if someone does transfer (#2 above) do they have to do so by a certain date to be immediately eligible the following season?  I am wondering given the timing of SC's transfer.
4.  Once someone transfers one time what are the restrictions/rules if they decide to transfer a second time?
Thanks
Pistol

3/23/2021 10:49 am  #29

Look at the path Baylee Steele took before getting to DUQ.   Cant rule out a D2 kid being an impact here.   But like some mentioned, are these the kinds of gets that make DUQ get over that huge hump?   IDK.
But, also not sure what we should be expecting via the transfer portal arriving on the Bluff.   

Also, anyone see Mike Hughes tweet?   "Just the start of it...." with a blue heart emoji and a video of his DUQ highlights.   IDK what to make of it.   

3/23/2021 11:12 am  #30

PistolPete wrote:

Can someone clarify the COVID and transfer rules for me?  Here are some of my questions:
1.  Does every class/year get an additional year of eligibility or is it limited to current seniors?  I other words if you played this year as a Junior do you still have 2 more years of eligibility?  
2.  With this new transfer rule can anyone transfer from one school to another and not have to sit out a year?
3.  And if someone does transfer (#2 above) do they have to do so by a certain date to be immediately eligible the following season?  I am wondering given the timing of SC's transfer.
4.  Once someone transfers one time what are the restrictions/rules if they decide to transfer a second time?
Thanks
Pistol

All players get an additional year of eligibility. Since players were free to opt out of this past season, the 2020-21 season does not count against their eligibility. Everyone will be the same class in 2021-22 as they were in 2020-21. Returning seniors don't count against their team's 13 scholarships, everyone else does. Seniors who graduate-transfer will count against their new team's scholarship cap.

As far as I know, the transfer rule still remains in effect. That is, a player must sit out for two semesters at their new school before they become eligible. This is waived for graduate transfers and anymore it seems to be waived for players whose scholarship isn't renewed by their previous school, the coach was fired at their previous school or some other hardship. But if a player transfers voluntarily, he must sit out for two semesters. Sincere Carry should be eligible to play for Kent St. by sometime in December, depending on when Kent's fall semester ends. He'll have two years of eligibility remaining. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

If a kid transfers, then wants to transfer again, he'll have immediate eligibility if he completes his undergraduate degree. If not, I'm not quite sure how it would work given the old you have five years to complete your four years of eligibility rule. 

3/23/2021 11:19 am  #31

Thanks Dennis, I was confused as I thought anyone could transfer one time and be immediately eligible.  If you are correct, and I am assuming you are, that would explain why SC left before the end of the first semester - so he could be eligible sometime this coming December and basically play most of the season.  What threw me off was during one of our televised games the announcer just questioned why SC wouldn't he stay until the end of the season as he wouldn't lose any eligibility, but I'm guessing the answer is so he could just play sooner given your explanation.  

3/23/2021 11:22 am  #32

DennisC91 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Thanks
Pistol

All players get an additional year of eligibility. Since players were free to opt out of this past season, the 2020-21 season does not count against their eligibility. Everyone will be the same class in 2021-22 as they were in 2020-21. Returning seniors don't count against their team's 13 scholarships, everyone else does. Seniors who graduate-transfer will count against their new team's scholarship cap.

As far as I know, the transfer rule still remains in effect. That is, a player must sit out for two semesters at their new school before they become eligible. This is waived for graduate transfers and anymore it seems to be waived for players whose scholarship isn't renewed by their previous school, the coach was fired at their previous school or some other hardship. But if a player transfers voluntarily, he must sit out for two semesters. Sincere Carry should be eligible to play for Kent St. by sometime in December, depending on when Kent's fall semester ends. He'll have two years of eligibility remaining. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

If a kid transfers, then wants to transfer again, he'll have immediate eligibility if he completes his undergraduate degree. If not, I'm not quite sure how it would work given the old you have five years to complete your four years of eligibility rule. 

That is not my understanding.  Under the existing Covid Exemption all players are granted an additional year of eligibility and may transfer without sitting out. If they transfer again they have to sit out a year.  The NCAA is considering making this exemption permanent

3/23/2021 11:25 am  #33

CLK wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Thanks
Pistol

That is not my understanding.  Under the existing Covid Exemption all players are granted an additional year of eligibility and may transfer without sitting out. If they transfer again they have to sit out a year.  The NCAA is considering making this exemption permanent.  Sin will be eligible immediately and any transfer we get will be immediately eligible

3/23/2021 11:36 am  #34

I know a blanket transfer waiver was granted in December to give players who had transferred last year immediate eligibility in 2020-21, so long as it was their first transfer, they were in good standing academically, certify they weren't recruited, etc. But I'm not clear that this waiver was extended to next season. If it was, wouldn't VerbalCommits indicate that just about every player transferring has immediate eligibility?

If anyone finds a statement or article that says the blanket transfer waiver applies to next season as well, please share. As best as I can tell, the NCAA was expected to make the one-time transfer waiver permanent at its meeting in January--not just for basketball but for all sports--but tabled the proposal in response to external factors, including possible Justice Department involvement. So it would seem that the original transfer rules remain for the time being but there's been surprisingly little written about this since then that I can find.

Last edited by DennisC91 (3/23/2021 12:02 pm)

3/23/2021 1:04 pm  #35

Again it is my understanding, that anyone who transfer this year will be immediately eligible for the 2021-22 season. That is why the Portal is exploding.  I read on Rothstein's site that the NCAA was going to meet at the Final Four to consider making the rule permanent

3/23/2021 2:43 pm  #36

CLK wrote:

Again it is my understanding, that anyone who transfer this year will be immediately eligible for the 2021-22 season. That is why the Portal is exploding.  I read on Rothstein's site that the NCAA was going to meet at the Final Four to consider making the rule permanent

Not official yet, but does seem to be moving in that direction. Sounds like the D1 Council will meet again next month and is expected to extend the transfer waiver to next season until the NCAA comes up with a permanent proposal. And the NCAA president, Mark Emmert, is on record as saying the NCAA will give a lot of flexibility on transfer waivers until a final proposal is approved. 

I think the portal's also exploding because every graduating senior gets an extra year and can play for any program that will have them next year. Though I wonder if that's also discouraging some underclassmen from transferring as they may not necessarily be able to secure a roster spot somewhere else with all these 5th-year seniors to compete against.

3/24/2021 12:22 pm  #37

An interesting get.

1 year flyer with a defined floor and some possible upside.

Without knowing who is in and who is out this provides some protection for the frontcourt.

3/31/2021 10:22 pm  #38

Thinking this guy is a real get. He's going to be our sleeper this year. Just looks the part we haven't seen since Atkins or Moore. Can shoot the long range jumper, mix it up underneath, and just get in your face. Dukes going to be physical. Things looking up. Wish it was November.

Last edited by Rayrich (3/31/2021 10:31 pm)

3/31/2021 10:35 pm  #39

Rayrich wrote:

Thinking this guy is a real get. He's going to be our sleeper this year. Just looks the part we haven't seen since Atkins or Moore. Can shoot the long range jumper, mix it up underneath, and just get in your face. Dukes going to be physical. Things looking up. Wish it was November.

Rayrich you bleed optimism. I love it. I hope you are right about this guy. You also got me wanting to look up Castro you made him sound so good.

3/31/2021 10:55 pm  #40

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

Rayrich you bleed optimism. I love it. I hope you are right about this guy. You also got me wanting to look up Castro you made him sound so good.

Vickroy, I think we got something special happening here. Haven't felt this way in 44 years plus as a fan. Castro is the real deal he'll open it up to the entire court. Dambrot and the DU staff have nailed it. Great under the radar find . Williams will be a stud underneath. Then you got a Gunn and Spears and who knows who else in the portal. Throw in Baker, Okanhi, Harris, Austen, and Acuff. We are in good shape.

4/01/2021 8:20 am  #41

DennisC91 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Not official yet, but does seem to be moving in that direction. Sounds like the D1 Council will meet again next month and is expected to extend the transfer waiver to next season until the NCAA comes up with a permanent proposal. And the NCAA president, Mark Emmert, is on record as saying the NCAA will give a lot of flexibility on transfer waivers until a final proposal is approved. 

I think the portal's also exploding because every graduating senior gets an extra year and can play for any program that will have them next year. Though I wonder if that's also discouraging some underclassmen from transferring as they may not necessarily be able to secure a roster spot somewhere else with all these 5th-year seniors to compete against.

The NCAA case in front of the Supreme Court as we speak, may have a significant impact on the landscape of college athletics especially in terms of compensation; but extends beyond that as Gorsuch stated yesterday it involves the employer having absolute control over the employees.  

Board footera