Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2021 9:02 am  #101

Re: Transfer Portal

I think KD has addressed our three point shooting, however we really lost a lot with Hughes.  I like Williams, but as a PF not a center. I think Williams would dominate in that position.  I also think KD alluded to that when he said in an article that he planned to use him more driving to the basket.  My hope is that KD brings in a big rebounder shot blocker center, or lacking that that Kelly takes a giant step forward next season.  I just don't see us winning with an undersized center in the A10.  

KD is not done recruiting.  What is certain is that there is going to be way lot more competition at every position, and he will let the cream rise to the surface.  This can only help guys like Baker, Acuff, Okani & Harris develop and get better.  These are very talented players, all well able to compete for starting roles.  The next month is going to be interesting. 

4/06/2021 9:17 am  #102

Hoping to see Hima make a contribution to the team this coming season. If he is still on board, can't imagine that he won't get some PT. Agree that we need that coveted big that we are looking for. Hughes at 6-8, as good as he was, was a bit undersized for the position. Can't see us playing with a 6-7 center as a starter. Agonizing waiting for any news!

4/06/2021 4:28 pm  #103

Soriano leaving Fordham. 

4/06/2021 4:54 pm  #104

Not too familiar with Soriano. He would have multiple years remaining. Is he a player that we would be interested in?

4/06/2021 5:49 pm  #105

Soriano is a very big body. Hard to move. Needs to be more motivated on defense. Decent around the hoop. Might be worth a chance.

4/06/2021 7:11 pm  #106

HookShot wrote:

Soriano is a very big body. Hard to move. Needs to be more motivated on defense. Decent around the hoop. Might be worth a chance.

I wonder if the in-conference rule for transfers is still in effect?  If I recall, that is sitting out an additional year and losing a year of eligibility.  With the modifications in transfer rules due to COVID, who knows?

4/07/2021 2:08 pm  #107

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

HookShot wrote:

I wonder if the in-conference rule for transfers is still in effect?  If I recall, that is sitting out an additional year and losing a year of eligibility.  With the modifications in transfer rules due to COVID, who knows?

I do not know about that BUT Soriano is definitely worth a shot.  A big man familiar with the A-10.  The Dukes NEED a big man right now and Soriano is certainly an upgrade over Kelly and Rotroff.  I can't speak to Williams and Hima because I haven't seen them play but Soriano could come right in and be productive.  I

4/07/2021 2:59 pm  #108

Would love to have him but pretty sure the A10 would still require him to sit out a year if he transfers to another A10 school whereas he'll likely be able to play right away if he goes anywhere else. Anyway,  I suspect he's looking for a bigger stage than another A10 school. 

4/08/2021 10:58 am  #109

Pitt in contact with Soriano, according to PSN...

4/08/2021 5:37 pm  #110

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

HookShot wrote:

Things are changing...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/mac-eliminates-intraconference-transfer-restrictions/2021/04/08/674322de-98a1-11eb-8f0a-3384cf4fb399_story.html

4/08/2021 8:11 pm  #111

Dsnyder15 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

HookShot wrote:

Things are changing...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/mac-eliminates-intraconference-transfer-restrictions/2021/04/08/674322de-98a1-11eb-8f0a-3384cf4fb399_story.html

Thanks, Dsnyder15. Good info on a seismic shift in player freedom.

4/09/2021 6:12 pm  #112

Marcus and Michael Weathers to SMU

4/09/2021 7:20 pm  #113

I don't get this. SMU has pretty close to no chance to get to the final 8 next year let alone win a national championship.

These guys should be headed overseas to start making money. They have already used up 1 or 2 of their basketball money making years by transferring the first time(s). Why waste another year in your body's prime years to join SMU?

I guess the chance to play with your brother again & go dancing means a great deal to them.

4/09/2021 8:11 pm  #114

phil95 wrote:

I don't get this. SMU has pretty close to no chance to get to the final 8 next year let alone win a national championship.

These guys should be headed overseas to start making money. They have already used up 1 or 2 of their basketball money making years by transferring the first time(s). Why waste another year in your body's prime years to join SMU?

I guess the chance to play with your brother again & go dancing means a great deal to them.

So nobody should join DU the next few years because they have no chance at getting to the final 8??  Gotchya

These kids get it...I am proud that there are still kids like Marcus and Michael.  It is about more than money.

4/09/2021 9:28 pm  #115

I was thinking about this Chinese fire drill also known as the transfer portal.  Maybe my simplistic math is wrong, and I freely accept that I'm not the brightest bulb on this planet.  But, there are 351 D1 programs.  Assuming each offers 13 full rides, then 4563 full D1 scholarships are available.  If you assume those full rides are divided equally between freshmen, sophomore, junior and senior classes, then each year would  usually create openings for 1163 high school seniors or prep school graduates in D1.  There are currently over 1200 individuals in the transfer portal.  Now, I understand that from a numbers standpoint, those in the transfer portal won't count against the NCAA scholarship limits.  But, these would count against the financial limits for the individual schools - if offered as full rides.  And because of the Covid year, school finances at most of these programs had to be  severely impacted.    So, it would seem that someone - whether a high schooler, prep or transfer player might well be disappointed - if their goal was a fully paid college education.  So, it would seem that entering the transfer portal and giving up a fully paid education (if that's important) carries with it a lot of risk unless you are a bonafide star certain to be picked up with a full ride at a new school.

Last edited by indygjm (4/09/2021 9:33 pm)

4/10/2021 12:14 am  #116

Dsnyder15 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

So nobody should join DU the next few years because they have no chance at getting to the final 8??  Gotchya

These kids get it...I am proud that there are still kids like Marcus and Michael.  It is about more than money.

Did I say or insinuate that nobody should transfer to SMU or Duquesne? No. I gave an opinion on a very specific set of circumstances for 2 players with serious professional basketball aspirations & abilities.

No, in my opinion, if you have a degree, have been in college for 5 years, & can command an immediate 6 figure salary doing what you presumably love; you should most definitely, NOT go to Duquesne or SMU. You should take the opportunity to follow your professional dreams ASAP because your body will not allow you do to so forever.

Likewise, I fail to see how the anecdotal evidence of Michael's college basketball career suggests his judgment is awesome. Is it the part where he will have attended 4 schools in 6 years while having committed to 2 others & rescinded his commitment or when he got tossed out of OSU that makes you think he "gets it"?

4/10/2021 7:34 am  #117

phil95 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

So nobody should join DU the next few years because they have no chance at getting to the final 8?? Gotchya

These kids get it...I am proud that there are still kids like Marcus and Michael. It is about more than money.

Did I say or insinuate that nobody should transfer to SMU or Duquesne? No. I gave an opinion on a very specific set of circumstances for 2 players with serious professional basketball aspirations & abilities.

No, in my opinion, if you have a degree, have been in college for 5 years, & can command an immediate 6 figure salary doing what you presumably love; you should most definitely, NOT go to Duquesne or SMU. You should take the opportunity to follow your professional dreams ASAP because your body will not allow you do to so forever.

Likewise, I fail to see how the anecdotal evidence of Michael's college basketball career suggests his judgment is awesome. Is it the part where he will have attended 4 schools in 6 years while having committed to 2 others & rescinded his commitment or when he got tossed out of OSU that makes you think he "gets it"?

TOTALLY AGREE WITH PHIL95!  They "get it"?!?!?  Get what?!?!?  It's not like these guys have dedicated themselves to academic pursuit and have used basketball to pay the way.  If that was the case they would have stayed at one school or possibly transferred once to pursue a grad degree somewhere else.  Instead, as Phil95 says, they bounced around playing basketball wherever the opportunity presented itself - and good for them! I am actually curious to know what DSnyder is proud of.   I in turn am proud of Marcus for the years he gave Duquesne and hoped he thoroughly enjoyed his years on the bluff as I did.  I hope transferring yet again to play ball with his brother brings him happiness.  But I don't see how this qualifies as "getting it" in any way.

4/10/2021 8:51 am  #118

Phil i happen to agree with you on this subject. But, you know what, that’s just our opinion. Other people could have opposing views and try to explain them. Instead, the sarcastic comments come flying out. It just illustrates their ignorance on the subject and their behavior. I have no problem with people disagreeing but please quit with the sarcastic comments. Most of these people would not do it to people’s faces.

There was a first time poster a few weeks back, he got attacked so brutally that he will probably never post again. I myself do not get offended easily, but I see why there are only a handful of posters. And boy to they stick together.

4/14/2021 1:51 pm  #119

Amari Kelly leaving Duquesne per twitter....

4/15/2021 3:35 pm  #120

Soriano heads across town from Fordham to St. John's. 

4/18/2021 1:43 pm  #121

What is the official deadline for transfers to sign on with their new school? Is it the same as incoming freshmen?

4/18/2021 2:05 pm  #122

El Presidente wrote:

What is the official deadline for transfers to sign on with their new school? Is it the same as incoming freshmen?

There is really no "official deadline" for transfers to sign . Theoretically they could show up on the 1st day of class ( or possibly even later ) and be eligible to play the 2021-2 season as long as they fit in under the 13 player limit.

Regarding incoming freshman / juco players. The NLI spring signing period generally lasts about 6 weeks ( 2nd Wednesday in April - Late May ).This is what occurs in most if not all cases. However, if a player does not want to sign a NLI and instead signs a financial aid agreement the school is bound to the player but the player is only bound if / when he shows up on campus. 

Hope this helps.

4/18/2021 2:20 pm  #123

ghost wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

There is really no "official deadline" for transfers to sign . Theoretically they could show up on the 1st day of class ( or possibly even later ) and be eligible to play the 2021-2 season as long as they fit in under the 13 player limit.

Regarding incoming freshman / juco players. The NLI spring signing period generally lasts about 6 weeks ( 2nd Wednesday in April - Late May ).This is what occurs in most if not all cases. However, if a player does not want to sign a NLI and instead signs a financial aid agreement the school is bound to the player but the player is only bound if / when he shows up on campus. 

Hope this helps.

Does help. Thought it might be different for transfers but this clears it up for me. Thanks Ghost!

4/18/2021 3:36 pm  #124

There's no deadline for transfers to sign, but they do have to enter the transfer portal by May 1 if they want to be eligible to play this coming season at their new schools, per the NCAA's new one-year transfer exemption rule. See:

[url]https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-council-passes-one-time-transfer-legislation-allowing-athletes-immediate-eligibility/#:~:text=Athletes%20in%20fall%2Fwinter%20sports,order%20to%20gain%20immediate%20eligibility.[/url]

Last edited by DennisC91 (4/18/2021 3:37 pm)

4/18/2021 4:33 pm  #125

DennisC91 wrote:

There's no deadline for transfers to sign, but they do have to enter the transfer portal by May 1 if they want to be eligible to play this coming season at their new schools, per the NCAA's new one-year transfer exemption rule. See:

[url]https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-council-passes-one-time-transfer-legislation-allowing-athletes-immediate-eligibility/#:~:text=Athletes%20in%20fall%2Fwinter%20sports,order%20to%20gain%20immediate%20eligibility.[/url]

Thank you as well Dennis. Appreciate all the info available from posters. That's one reason why this board is outstanding.

Board footera