Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2021 4:03 pm  #2

Re: '22 Offer 6'2" SG Devin Carney

I would love to see him become a Duke.  I think he will be getting some big-time offers though.

4/12/2021 5:13 pm  #3

4/12/2021 5:34 pm  #4

Some additional information from PG Article - Where he made Fab 5

Averaged 29.6 PPG -  Shot 50% from Field 84% from Line Made 65 Three Pointers  1,501 points and 206 Three Pointers.

Offers from St. Francis PA and Bryant.

Article says he is 6'0 NOT 6'2 -  Perhaps this is the reason for not having that many offers yet.

4/12/2021 5:48 pm  #5

Was his team any good?

How was his 3pt percentage?

4/12/2021 6:18 pm  #6

SkepticAl wrote:

Some additional information from PG Article - Where he made Fab 5

Averaged 29.6 PPG -  Shot 50% from Field 84% from Line Made 65 Three Pointers  1,501 points and 206 Three Pointers.

Offers from St. Francis PA and Bryant.

Article says he is 6'0 NOT 6'2 -  Perhaps this is the reason for not having that many offers yet.

Al on his twitter he says that he is 6'1".  So he is anywhere between 5'8"  to 6"2" :-)

He is getting some high major interest, but no offers yet.  It is going to get harder for HS seniors to get early offers with the portal.

jake lieberman on Twitter: "6'1 combo guard Devin Carney (@devin24carney_) is now receiving interest from Vanderbilt, Xavier, Denver, Tulsa, Lehigh, USF, and Butler. Duquesne offered him today." / Twitter

4/13/2021 6:39 am  #7

phil95 wrote:

Was his team any good?

How was his 3pt percentage?

Butler High School lost in the 2020/21 WPIAL Semi Finals to Upper St Clair.  they play in the biggest division in Western Pa.  Not sure about his 3 point percentage but on his highlight reel, he made every 3 he took!

4/13/2021 7:46 am  #8

Video says 38% 3 pt shooter, 85% FT.   Seems like a good guy for DUQ to get.   Quick release, plays against good comp in WPA.   Just a year or two ago, didnt Butler have a top recruit?   I think he went Big10, Purdue maybe.   Would be nice to get a local player back on the Bluff.   

Last edited by townsonkid (4/13/2021 7:47 am)

7/01/2021 5:15 pm  #9

Going to Elon.

7/02/2021 8:30 am  #10

Pretty weak losing a local to Elon.

7/02/2021 10:32 am  #11

I don't have an opinion on whether or not losing a recruit to Elon is weak. Maybe his uncle is the coach or something? There are just too many possibilities there for me to offer an opinion.

However, it does seem strange that a player that is both very much on the rise & holding offers from several "better" programs would commit so early to a middling CAA school.

7/02/2021 12:47 pm  #12

When a player with ability chooses Elon there has to be more to the story. Plain and simple. He might have taken advice from someone close to him. 
Maybe he wants to play at a school where it's believed he has a chance to start immediately or not be hustled out the door after a year. Who knows?  
This is in no way a criticism of the current coaching staff. Think next years team will be our best in decades. Sometimes you have to do what you need to do, both players and coaches.

7/02/2021 2:22 pm  #13

With all of the player movement going on today; it makes sense to go to a lower level program where you have a chance to play instantly, and then perhaps transfer up.  Let's be honest, if he chose Duquesne he might have had to sit for while before trying to transfer, perhaps to a lower level program; much like Jett Roesing.  From this point of view it makes sense.  

7/03/2021 3:20 pm  #14

It's kind of a shame. When you are a graduate of a school (like here where most of the posting board members are DU grads), you are necessarily rooting for a uniform.  You hope quality players will be in those uniforms each year, but they are never the same people. It's worse than what widespread free-agency did to pro sports many years ago.  As you pull for the team, you identify certain players you really like, and next year they're gone.  We all have high hopes for the Dukes of this year, but they could finish anywhere from first to worst.

7/05/2021 8:13 am  #15

applecorps wrote:

It's kind of a shame. When you are a graduate of a school (like here where most of the posting board members are DU grads), you are necessarily rooting for a uniform.  You hope quality players will be in those uniforms each year, but they are never the same people. It's worse than what widespread free-agency did to pro sports many years ago.  As you pull for the team, you identify certain players you really like, and next year they're gone.  We all have high hopes for the Dukes of this year, but they could finish anywhere from first to worst.

I respectfully disagree. The days of finishing,"worst" are, for now, over. Both the likely low ceiling & high ceiling results have improved noticeably.

7/05/2021 5:05 pm  #16

phil95 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

I respectfully disagree. The days of finishing,"worst" are, for now, over. Both the likely low ceiling & high ceiling results have improved noticeably.

I respectfully agree with you,Phil.  It was just a figure of speech, or cliche.  I thing we know enough about the roster and the coach to feel assured the Dukes will not be at the bottom of the Conference.

Board footera