Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/16/2013 12:30 pm  #1

Has our recriuting change or just more publicized?

Question: Over the past 9 months there have been MANY posts of who we gave offers to. I have never seen so many in all these years. Here are my questions to those in the know. 1. Did past coaches not offer because they felt we didn't have a shot?  2. Or Did past coaches offer and we didn't hear about it?  3. Or is this coach just offering many playeers hoping someone will say yes?
Thanks.

Last edited by FAM (9/16/2013 12:34 pm)

9/16/2013 2:42 pm  #2

Re: Has our recriuting change or just more publicized?

FAM,
This is the social media age.  The change is that you have thousands of Tweets every day from people that follow recruiting closely.  They are getting their information from the players who are being offered rather than the coaches that are offering.  Coaches still do not, and cannot publicize when, and who they offer; but there are no limitations on the players tweeting when they receive an offer.  The recruiting followers then retweet so that the information that was once semi-private is now common knowledge on twitter.  This is true for all schools and coaches; Duquesne is no different.

9/18/2013 11:14 am  #3

I appreciate that and understand, but am just amazed that it appears we are offering to sooo many players.  This again makes me wonder (and the answer would just be opinion) if these are more offerings than have been in the past - if they are is it because we have a chance or are we hoping...and somewhere lies the facts.

9/18/2013 12:16 pm  #4

It's a game of musical chairs. You have to come up with a list of early offers, as well as a list of guys you may offer if your primary targets fall through. I would figure you offer your main targets first, in the hope that they may make an early decision. As you get closer to letter of intent day, you will offer more players, as you don't really want to risk getting shut out. At the same time, higher level schools are also expanding their list of offers. This is what some of the players on our initial list will be waiting for, and some of them will jump at a chance to go to a BCS, or very successful mid major school. Conversely, there are kids that have solid offers from MAC, MAAC, and AE type schools, who are waiting for schools like Duquesne to expand their lists, as they would prefer to play at the A10 level. As I previously stated, it's a game of musical chairs. Sometimes a school can get burned by waiting for a player who eventually gets a better offer, leaving them picking over low major scraps. The same can happen to a player when the BCS offer never comes, and the Duquesnes and Bonas have filled all their spots, leaving an A10 caliber player, with only low level offers.

Board footera