Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2021 10:16 am  #1

Hima Working Hard

Can't wait to see this big guy in action. With His work ethic and attitude I think he is going to surprise a lot of people.

https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/1387415945694650369?s=20

4/28/2021 10:23 am  #2

Re: Hima Working Hard

Thanks, CLK.  This is great to see.
(Also, a shout out to Duquesne Basketball for including a link providing more background on Ramadan.)

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (4/28/2021 10:28 am)

4/28/2021 10:26 am  #3

We sure could use the help in the paint.   Looks like he is putting up 225, multiple times, and that weight has to move a long distance.   Thats impressive.   

4/28/2021 12:11 pm  #4

townsonkid wrote:

We sure could use the help in the paint.   Looks like he is putting up 225, multiple times, and that weight has to move a long distance.   Thats impressive.   

One would have to think that Hima is working out harder now than ever before. This is good to see because I have a feeling that he will be called upon to help this team more than was originally thought. Not that I've completely given up hope on landing another big.  That could still happen and Hima could develop to the point where he will contribute as well.

4/28/2021 12:24 pm  #5

El Presidente wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

One would have to think that Hima is working out harder now than ever before. This is good to see because I have a feeling that he will be called upon to help this team more than was originally thought. Not that I've completely given up hope on landing another big.  That could still happen and Hima could develop to the point where he will contribute as well.

And i'm not giving up on Rotroff yet.  If he's around next season he may step up. he has experience at this point in his career.  maybe he puts it all together

4/28/2021 1:15 pm  #6

Thanks for sharing CLK and I personally am a big fan of Coach Henderson and have seen results with some of the football players! Love this

4/28/2021 4:40 pm  #7

I have not given up on Rotroff either. Had a great first game as a Duke against William and Mary. Could rebound and have an impact next season. Might be big man by committee.

4/28/2021 10:28 pm  #8

El Presidente wrote:

I have not given up on Rotroff either. Had a great first game as a Duke against William and Mary. Could rebound and have an impact next season. Might be big man by committee.

I remember seeing him up close and personal that game.

6/7 FG 3/3 3PT 2/2 FT 17 pts 7 rebs

Matching up with Nathan Knight and a potential NCAA tourney team. Admittedly, Knight went for 26 and 11 but the guy bounces between the NBA and G League with Atlanta now. Thought we had an NBA prospect on our hands that night.

2,534 in attendance seems like a crime for what was an excellent college basketball game.

Can Rotroff return to that form and can Hima step up from non-scholarship status to instant starter and contributor/impact player? I am hopeful, but Rotroff has regressed and Hima is still a big ?

I like both’s ceilings but the floors are also a little scary. Time will tell. Still think we need someone more proven to hold down that center spot. Mike Hughes was a Cadillac A10 center. Not seeing that on the roster right now.

4/29/2021 6:36 am  #9

I was at that opening game and remember asking myself where this kid came from. Looked poised and confident as a freshman big. Really don't know where that player went but believe he must be in there still. Maybe the injury caused him to totally lose confidence? I don't know. Not quick or overly athletic but believe at his best could contribute to this team's success this coming season. Here's hoping!!

4/29/2021 8:03 am  #10

Presidente,l was also present for that performance. His parents regularly attend. I think he is at DU for more than basketball. I want to see him graduate a Duke. However, that performance brings to mind another similar performance that year by a now bygone Duke by the name of Gavin Bizeau. When he turned sideways you couldn't see him....

4/29/2021 9:04 am  #11

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Presidente,l was also present for that performance. His parents regularly attend. I think he is at DU for more than basketball. I want to see him graduate a Duke. However, that performance brings to mind another similar performance that year by a now bygone Duke by the name of Gavin Bizeau. When he turned sideways you couldn't see him....

Gavin Bizeau, the Indiana Kid - posibly the love child of Detlef Schrempf. 

4/29/2021 10:01 am  #12

Wondering where Gavin Bizeau ended up. Rated by some a 4* recruit. Hoping he finds some success.

4/29/2021 10:35 am  #13

I know Gavin played this season at Marion University, an NAIA school. Their team was quite successful. Gavin played in 27 games but only averaged 8.7 minutes & 4.4 points. That was after barely playing in his 1 season at Toledo.

I never expected him to become a dominant D-I player but, those results are far below what his size & skill set suggested he is capable of. I guess you just never know how things will turn out.

4/29/2021 4:07 pm  #14

As for Hima, he obviously has strength and some drive.  He could use some calories too.  But remember, Derrick Alston never built any bulk, but was a star at DU and ended up with some NBA time.

4/29/2021 4:20 pm  #15

El Presidente wrote:

I was at that opening game and remember asking myself where this kid came from. Looked poised and confident as a freshman big. Really don't know where that player went but believe he must be in there still. Maybe the injury caused him to totally lose confidence? I don't know. Not quick or overly athletic but believe at his best could contribute to this team's success this coming season. Here's hoping!!

Maybe he hasn't gotten enough time, but I've not seen much athleticism or toughness. We have the shooters coming, an immobile big who shoots 3 pointers doesn't help much. From the film I've seen of Williams, he fills one of the holes left by Hughes and Weathers.

4/29/2021 4:33 pm  #16

wharfrat58 wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

Maybe he hasn't gotten enough time, but I've not seen much athleticism or toughness. We have the shooters coming, an immobile big who shoots 3 pointers doesn't help much. From the film I've seen of Williams, he fills one of the holes left by Hughes and Weathers.

Totally agree that Williams fills one of the holes left behind by MH and MW. Real disciplined player who will get better. Should be a real stud if he sticks around. I also think Ayers fills the Baker spot and more. Pure athlete with some serous skill. TJ Gunn and the group of freshmen coming in and this could be the Dukes best season in years. Hima looks the part to me. Grab another front court player (i'm rooting for Groce out of EMU) and this could be a real special year. Then you got the COOP to boot.

4/29/2021 5:34 pm  #17

Groce has committed to Butler. Greg Lee from Western Michigan is still available. Wondering what our chances are here. Can see us snagging someone that we have never heard of. KD does have an eye for  uncovering under the radar talent.

4/29/2021 11:30 pm  #18

applecorps wrote:

As for Hima, he obviously has strength and some drive.  He could use some calories too.  But remember, Derrick Alston never built any bulk, but was a star at DU and ended up with some NBA time.

Minute Bol was 7ft 6inches tall yet only weighted 200 pounds. He played in the NBA for 11 years. His job was to block shots/alter shots and rebound. Calories and muscle were not a prerequisite for that speciality.
Hima is not Bol, and the reference to Bol is not perfect, however Hima appears to possess a natural talent to block, alter and possibly rebound. That will be his job. He is not the type of center player that we so desperately need to complete this roster.  Hima is to Eat minutes, disrupt the competitions rhythm and play his rim responsibility
Expectations for Hima must be commensurate to his role

4/30/2021 8:43 am  #19

Pathfinder wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Minute Bol was 7ft 6inches tall yet only weighted 200 pounds. He played in the NBA for 11 years. His job was to block shots/alter shots and rebound. Calories and muscle were not a prerequisite for that speciality.
Hima is not Bol, and the reference to Bol is not perfect, however Hima appears to possess a natural talent to block, alter and possibly rebound. That will be his job. He is not the type of center player that we so desperately need to complete this roster. Hima is to Eat minutes, disrupt the competitions rhythm and play his rim responsibility
Expectations for Hima must be commensurate to his role

Not really certain what role Hima may play in the long term. Who knows how his development will progress. His basketball life is so limited to this point. In the short term, I agree that he will not fill a scoring need and still hoping for a surprise big who can come in and give us some consistent inside scoring. Doesn't have to score a ton, just enough to be an offensive presence in the paint.

4/30/2021 9:41 am  #20

Unlike highlight videos, the video that started this thread is easy to value. If Hima can put up that kind of weight for reps, he is plenty strong enough to get some time as a freshman in the A-10.

His full game videos also suggest that he is surprisingly mobile with at least average hands to go along with his excellent length & shot blocking instincts.

What do those data points tell me about his value to the 21-22 team? Nothing. He is truly a wait & see player.

I'm just happy to see him working out under the direction of DU staff. We have proof of life!

Board footera