Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2021 9:10 am  #1

5/03/2021 10:05 am  #2

Re: DU Hires Personal Brand Coach

Interesting to say the least. Also impressive is the fact that Duquesne is the very first program to make such a hire.
This is good to see. Think KD and Dave Harper work well together and are on the same page which is a huge plus and portends well for the future of the program.

5/03/2021 10:27 am  #3

I see that Dave Harper is "now" identified as Vice-President of Athletics.  Does that mean there is a "President" of athletics or is that Gormley?  Is there no longer an athletic director or just an athletic director title?   All this is good, but just get to a friggin tournament.  Go Dukes!

5/03/2021 10:49 am  #4

winning can do the same thing.    But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

5/03/2021 10:51 am  #5

I think when your  title changes from Director to Vice President
your position on the organizational chart changes say from
a dotted line to a solid line.

5/03/2021 11:32 am  #6

Econ:  Brilliant!  Response

5/03/2021 12:01 pm  #7

This hire really puts the Dukes ahead in the Name Image and Likeness legislation that is here. Kids build brands, they make money.

5/03/2021 2:04 pm  #8

I really admire Duquesne’s forward way of thinking pending the Supreme court’s decision. Then Congress will attempt to create a map. What a joke that will be both Parties are blood sucking clowns. Then the Power 5 will simply use the new legislation as a Defacto recruiting inducement incentive tool. The Big schools will simply reach out to the alumni base who are entrepreneurs, small business owners & local corporations. Player shows up at the local car dealer “Meet Pitt Panther Joe Blow” and he walks away with a nice paycheck.If I was Mr Rooney I would circle the wagons around any Duquesne alumni who are willing to funnel the slush fund in accordance with the new regulations. Can you imagine the new Wild West in regard to recruiting with the likes of Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan, Duke,Penn State & yes Harvard/ Yale. This is bad for College sports. What ever happened to a full scholarship with room & board. 

5/03/2021 2:31 pm  #9

They can call Duquesne Rooney U again.

5/03/2021 5:55 pm  #10

Econ69 wrote:

I think when your  title changes from Director to Vice President
your position on the organizational chart changes say from
a dotted line to a solid line.

It's good for the kids we have, and it'll help attract talent, too.

This is a brilliant move.

5/04/2021 3:31 am  #11

The new coach, Jordan Rooney, will be on 93.7 the fan at 9 am.

5/04/2021 9:57 am  #12

No matter what your opinion is on NLI issues, this is a major accomplishment for the program; very forward thinking. I bet it is the deciding factor for a better, future recruit or 2 choosing DU. Great work!

I do not envy the athletic administration/coaching staffs having to navigate which athletes get a higher or lower priority for making use of these services. The concept of individual NLI value is as capitalist as it gets & it should be. That won't make it any easier to keep the 4th highest valued player happy about numbers 1-3 getting more love & money.

Between this, COVID, & the transfer portal, there has to be more than a few coaches thinking about calling it a career rather than abandoning tried & true methods for building teams while having to develop new systems to remain successful in this rapidly evolving landscape.

Roy Williams may have made a perfectly timed decision.

5/04/2021 10:37 am  #13

phil95 wrote:

No matter what your opinion is on NLI issues, this is a major accomplishment for the program; very forward thinking. I bet it is the deciding factor for a better, future recruit or 2 choosing DU. Great work!

I do not envy the athletic administration/coaching staffs having to navigate which athletes get a higher or lower priority for making use of these services. The concept of individual NLI value is as capitalist as it gets & it should be. That won't make it any easier to keep the 4th highest valued player happy about numbers 1-3 getting more love & money.

Between this, COVID, & the transfer portal, there has to be more than a few coaches thinking about calling it a career rather than abandoning tried & true methods for building teams while having to develop new systems to remain successful in this rapidly evolving landscape.

Roy Williams may have made a perfectly timed decision.

To take that thought further, the COVID/portal/and player marketing changes HAS to be a plus for Duquesne.  The last 40 years of proven conclusively that the Dukes can't compete in the former structure.  This new structure can't be worse for them.  or can it?

5/04/2021 1:49 pm  #14

From what I can tell, the new hire is excellent at self promotion.  I have another term in mind but don’t want to use it.

I’m highly skeptical of this resulting in better recruits or wins.   Their Tik Tok videos will be on point thought.

Last edited by A83 (5/05/2021 4:55 pm)

5/05/2021 7:06 pm  #15

6/09/2021 9:00 am  #16

phil95, thanks for sharing.  Here's another national article (behind a paywall) with a mention on Duquesne hiring a Brand Manager:

The way to win in college basketball may now include analytics, transfer portal experts and … brand managers?
https://theathletic.com/2640528/2021/06/09/the-way-to-win-in-college-basketball-may-now-include-analytics-transfer-portal-experts-and-brand-managers/

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (6/09/2021 9:01 am)

6/23/2021 6:54 am  #17

6/23/2021 3:33 pm  #18

Obviously the landscape of College Athletics has been significantly altered; never to return to the “plantation” culture created and nurtured by the NCAA.  It will be an interesting phenomena as  some states will be allowing athletes to market name, image and likeness within a few weeks!
Team-building will be very difficult in my opinion, as some players may flourish financially while other flounder, potentially leading to jealousy and division.  Where this goes, nobody knows!

6/23/2021 4:55 pm  #19

Levon75 not to be confused with Elton John’s Levon😂 I can see Attorneys awaiting a class action suit or individual suits against the Colleges if say women softball players don’t get a bite of the apple. Yes power 5 football huge money maker. March Madness solid money maker. Every corporation seeking likeness contracts just wants the star QB or next  Zion Williams. Unfortunately, I see litigation until the courts decide the distribution of the cash without facing a discrimination lawsuit for the zero revenue sports. 

6/24/2021 6:35 am  #20

I see many college sports disappearing. Be careful what you wish for.  Lots of underprivileged kids will lose out on a free education. Those who can afford it will still get it. 

Will a kid stay at Kent football after a good year??  Go make money at Kansas with free player movement.  Get paid?? Kent folds.  85 scholarships gone.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (6/24/2021 6:37 am)

6/24/2021 9:45 am  #21

Duquesne might be in trouble, and not alone.  Getting a radio deal with a FM station in the city might help.   Players can get $ doing commercials?  WJAS am, is not getting it done IMO.   No one is listening to that in pittsburgh, not bball fans.    Can they get $ doing postgame interviews?   I dont know all the rules, capabilities, so please pardon my ignorance.

Last edited by townsonkid (6/24/2021 10:07 am)

6/24/2021 11:22 am  #22

Dsnyder15 wrote:

I see many college sports disappearing. Be careful what you wish for. Lots of underprivileged kids will lose out on a free education. Those who can afford it will still get it.

Will a kid stay at Kent football after a good year?? Go make money at Kansas with free player movement. Get paid?? Kent folds. 85 scholarships gone.

That's my take. I don't see this SCOTUS ruling, as much as I agree with it on principle, as nothing more than something that's going to make the Dukes and Alabamas richer at the expense of the lesser programs.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/24/2021 4:23 pm  #23

I believe that what is not being taken in context is the insatiable need for streaming/cable/network content. There are so many hours of sports programming to fill.  I don't suspect that these entities will allow the "product" to become so adulterated that it has no value.  The TV tail will continue to wag the dog.

6/25/2021 8:18 am  #24

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I believe that what is not being taken in context is the insatiable need for streaming/cable/network content. There are so many hours of sports programming to fill.  I don't suspect that these entities will allow the "product" to become so adulterated that it has no value.  The TV tail will continue to wag the dog.

In addition to this, the expansion of sports gambling is playing a more significant role - they also need “content”. Having 400 or so weekly college basketball games to wager on is a revenue driver and value to that industry; it’s likely that they will protect that asset in some manner.

6/25/2021 4:29 pm  #25

I don't think that is a good path forward; relying on gambling interests and ESPN types to uphold the quality and legitimacy  of college athletics.  I think we've already seen how much damage ESPN has done to sports.  In reality athletes will spend less time working on their sport and more time figuring how to market themselves; and no time focusing on team goals.   Teams will be a loosely formed group of independent contractors looking for a path to easy money.  I don't see this holding my attention for very long.  

Board footera