Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2021 6:36 pm  #1

5/06/2021 6:53 pm  #2

Re: Baker To San Diego State

That's a good team.

5/06/2021 7:09 pm  #3

Hope he does well.  He was a fun player to watch, the short time he was here....

5/06/2021 7:16 pm  #4

Upward move for a guy shown the door, don’t like those.

5/06/2021 7:57 pm  #5

Duques102 wrote:

Upward move for a guy shown the door, don’t like those.

Agree with you on this. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The kid was a distraction and is seemingly rewarded for it. Well one can hope that he learns how to behave himself and experiences some success in life.

5/06/2021 8:28 pm  #6

Well he will see at SDS that there are other talented players and its not all about U; it is a maturity issue I'm thinking, but again Baker wasn't 18.  This brings me back to EWilliams.  He is certainly a piece at Oregon, but he is a secondary piece at best in that line-up.  If he just wanted to get to the Madness fine, but my guess is he thought he would be more a focal point for the team, but that is not the case from the games I watched.  Maybe I am off base, but he could have had a bigger profile here if he wanted to be the "guy".  If he just wanted to be a piece then Oregon was the right move for him.

5/06/2021 9:58 pm  #7

EW got recruited over. That is what strong programs can do that DU can't. Players transferred in during his sit-out season & before this past season that were more highly regarded. 2 of those guys have strong chances to get drafted. I am quite sure he didn't see that coming.

Oregon has more on the roster & coming in this year that should concern him. I have been wondering if he would hit the portal.

I am actually quite impressed he stuck in the starting lineup. That is quite an accomplishment in that program.

5/07/2021 8:14 am  #8

PistolPete wrote:

Well he will see at SDS that there are other talented players and its not all about U; it is a maturity issue I'm thinking, but again Baker wasn't 18.  This brings me back to EWilliams.  He is certainly a piece at Oregon, but he is a secondary piece at best in that line-up.  If he just wanted to get to the Madness fine, but my guess is he thought he would be more a focal point for the team, but that is not the case from the games I watched.  Maybe I am off base, but he could have had a bigger profile here if he wanted to be the "guy".  If he just wanted to be a piece then Oregon was the right move for him.

Pistol you make a great point.(Baker not 18) Besides his self centered antics which led to multiple technical fouls at crucial moments Baker was drinking age 21 years old. After his 4 years at SDS he will be 25. Unfortunately for Dambrot he was forced to eat a crap pie since Baker was the only player competent with 3’s. The problem last year was the lack of a team leader. Yeah people can always lay the blame on the coaching staff but a player who adopts the leadership role & respect of his teammates can end the circus which was at times Chad Baker. Hopefully, a leader will arise on the bluff. Not upset about Dambrots house cleaning. 

5/07/2021 9:37 am  #9

Very true Iron D and it will be interesting with all the new faces, and younger guys coming back, who will step into the leadership role on this team next season - time will tell.

5/07/2021 11:22 am  #10

Could be Kevin Easley or Tre Williams stepping up to assume leadership roles. That would not surprise me. As stated, someone will need to emerge as a leader on the court. We will see.

5/07/2021 11:24 am  #11

This is the reason I don't see TDM's moving on as a big loss. In year 5 of his college basketball career, he showed few signs of being the dynamic & undisputed team leader you would hope for given his tenure. It seems unlikely that he was going to morph into that in year 6. His frantic scoring spurts & general experience will, of course, be missed but, moving forward, in the hopes of playing more physically gifted & better shooting players has its appeal. 

TDM's play on both ends lacked the discipline & maturity that the program, in general, has had in short supply.  Likewise, he didn't offer some sort of awesome skill set that made me want to look past his particular opportunities for improvement. Even though his last 4-5 games as PG demonstrated a previously unseen willingness to play a more cerebral game, he didn't show sufficient progress over his 4 years in the program to make me believe that he would have one of those inspired senior seasons where the player finally overcomes their biggest challenges while leading the team to a new level of success.

5/07/2021 12:51 pm  #12

We lost a good player. That has happened to a number of teams, but it is more significant since we didn’t have many talented players who could get us to the next level. Hopefully the guys we get will make us better.  But without causing a storm… we have now lost the best two players we have had the last three years. I say that based on what teams recruited them out of the portal.
Go Dukes.

7/18/2022 5:10 pm  #13

Chad Baker-Mazara is no longer at San Diego St.  Academic issues.
https://www.eastvillagetimes.com/chad-baker-mazara-no-longer-an-aztec/

Chad is heading to Northwest Florida State (junior college); same school that the Dukes' Tre Clark attended after VCU.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (7/18/2022 5:13 pm)

7/20/2022 11:08 am  #14

So possibly some conclusions can be drawn from Baker's departure from Duquesne after one year and his academic failure at SD State. SD State is a very good mid-major program NCAA Tourney team with a successful veteran coach who was apparently unable to motivate Baker in the classroom.  He was a major contributor off-the-bench at SD State, as I recall voted 6th man of the year in the conference.  Was Duquesne being kind in not announcing the reason for the transfer?  I recall that K.D. dropped a few hints that Chad's departure from Duquesne was not exclusively his choice. 
So now he steps back to a JC program in year three, and I assume aiming for another shot for his final year or two at a D-1 school or schools.  He might actually be able to play at 5-different institutions of higher learning in one career? I think he will meet the definition of a "basketball vagabond". 

7/20/2022 12:36 pm  #15

With all the resources available to players these days you have to be really bad to flunk out. There was another article where the coach talked about Baker running stairs during the summer last year after he transferred instead of taking summer sessions. I was surprised that the coach talked openly about him flunking out

On the flip side duqmbb received an award for academic excellence,

Duquesne Basketball on Twitter: "📚 One of three D-I programs in PA honored. 🔗 https://t.co/CwYlGcZnvg #GoDukes | #A10MBB https://t.co/rnkYlLXflo" / Twitter

Board footera