Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2021 1:23 pm  #26

Re: Next year?

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

This is one of the better threads in recent memory; thanks for all of the thoughtful contributions.

In this new transfer landscape, we are going to find out who really can coach.  It reminded me of a quote attributed to Bum Phillips about Bear Bryant: "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n."  Coaches now have to be flexible and not get locked into recruiting and developing players who can only fit into their rigid system; they have to modify their system to get the most out of the talent they have been able to acquire. I think that Dambrot is up to this challenge.
BTW, I think that Ron Everhart would do well in this environment; he certainly knew how to scramble and craft a competitive team under the most extraordinary situations (after the shootings, crafting the 10-40, etc.).

This is such a true analysis of RE's greatest strength. Based on his entire head coaching career, I would argue that he was at his absolute best when a "bunker mentality" was called for. I have never understood why that didn't translate into his getting a program or 2 all the way over the hump. He is the only coach I can think of for whom having a stocked roster added complications rather than remove them.

That is such a shame. His is time in Pittsburgh just about killed any chance he had of getting the last shot to excel as a head coach.  He is a good coach & better guy,

5/10/2021 4:12 pm  #27

Let me simply add that not only is Ron a good basketball man but a class act as well. I never heard him utter a bad word about Duquesne even after the shabby way he was dismissed.

5/10/2021 4:57 pm  #28

phil95 wrote:

This is such a true analysis of RE's greatest strength. Based on his entire head coaching career, I would argue that he was at his absolute best when a "bunker mentality" was called for. I have never understood why that didn't translate into his getting a program or 2 all the way over the hump. He is the only coach I can think of for whom having a stocked roster added complications rather than remove them.

That is such a shame. His is time in Pittsburgh just about killed any chance he had of getting the last shot to excel as a head coach.  He is a good coach & better guy,

phil95, it certainly seemed that Ron did his best coaching when he didn't have a full deck to play with; it is a puzzler to me.  And totally agreed that Ron was a good coach and great person. I'm hoping that Ron's health is good; he went through a lot with his digestive tract issues.

5/10/2021 7:55 pm  #29

Not to nit pick Duqes102 great post about a tiny school that could go from nothing to a nationally prominent program in 1-3 years, I would suggest that this prospect will actually be a yearly occurrence. Indeed this could be more common than even 2 year rebuilds, let alone the bygone 3 or 4 year plans. So as much as I (at first) lamented the new system, I’m starting to embrace the future, as I await the return of a Willie Somerset/Ron Willard style back court. I’d settle for a Zoft, Durham, Mike Barr group as well. Damn, I just jumped from an exciting future to living in the past. Go figure.

5/10/2021 9:04 pm  #30

Never seen anyone's name butchered more than this one, Billy Zopf. Not nitpicking here either. Was in school with Bill and just want to see his name in the thread correctly.

5/12/2021 8:44 am  #31

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I am not bomb throwing here, and want some serious replies, but I want someone to explain to me how next year is anything but a few steps back in the progress of this team, if not back at square one!

Most of us knew going in, this was going to be a wash of a year, but we expected progress and were looking forward to a senior-loaded team next year with the likes of Carry, Norman, Weathers and Hughes, and now all of them are gone, along with one of our top freshman, so four years into Keith Dambrot's tenure and here we are with a bunch of freshman, sophomores, and lottery ticket transfers. Oh well, at least we will now be an 8-10 win also ran in the A-10 never getting into the Big Dance, instead of our historical average 3-7 win team never getting there. I am one disgusted fan.

Square one??  You are frustrated I guess...because I doubt any rational person would argue that this team is not better than KD's first team. Things change and not always for the better.  You can adapt or let the new way of doing business drive you crazy.

5/12/2021 8:57 am  #32

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I am not bomb throwing here, and want some serious replies, but I want someone to explain to me how next year is anything but a few steps back in the progress of this team, if not back at square one!

Most of us knew going in, this was going to be a wash of a year, but we expected progress and were looking forward to a senior-loaded team next year with the likes of Carry, Norman, Weathers and Hughes, and now all of them are gone, along with one of our top freshman, so four years into Keith Dambrot's tenure and here we are with a bunch of freshman, sophomores, and lottery ticket transfers. Oh well, at least we will now be an 8-10 win also ran in the A-10 never getting into the Big Dance, instead of our historical average 3-7 win team never getting there. I am one disgusted fan.

Square one?? You are frustrated I guess...because I doubt any rational person would argue that this team is not better than KD's first team. Things change and not always for the better. You can adapt or let the new way of doing business drive you crazy.

Tejas DUKE: I don't know anyone who thought Weathers or Hughes would return for next year. ... "looking forward to a senior-loaded team next year with the likes of Carry, Norman, Weathers and Hughes, ..."
Your agenda, whatever it is, is getting old. Yes, you are throwing bombs. You do it regularly. My impression is you want this program to continue to fail. Your last post was so bad, it was deleted. Get a grip, my friend. It's the college basketball world today. Coaches get paid a lot of money. We don't have to like that, but Dambrot isn't the only guy making a ton of cash. This is the Atlantic 10, not the Mid-American Conference, or better yet, the NEC. Give the guy his due. He's a winner and he's reconstructed a very fine roster at the moment, one that I believe will compete rather favorably against its opponents. This is what we should be talking about here. It's not like we have Danny Nee winning 3 games. Get with the program, Tejas DUKE. It's a basketball board.

5/12/2021 9:02 am  #33

DSynder15 after the bizarre flame thrower post by Tejas Duke yesterday please don’t add gasoline to the fire.Yes everyone on this board deserves their opinions BUT some sanity is requires to protect the current Coaching staff especially after returning Duquesne basketball to respectability in the A10. As always I respect your post but we need to avoid posts in which CLK immediately nixed. 

5/12/2021 2:18 pm  #34

Crosseye wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Square one?? You are frustrated I guess...because I doubt any rational person would argue that this team is not better than KD's first team. Things change and not always for the better. You can adapt or let the new way of doing business drive you crazy.

Tejas DUKE: I don't know anyone who thought Weathers or Hughes would return for next year. ... "looking forward to a senior-loaded team next year with the likes of Carry, Norman, Weathers and Hughes, ..."
Your agenda, whatever it is, is getting old. Yes, you are throwing bombs. You do it regularly. My impression is you want this program to continue to fail. Your last post was so bad, it was deleted. .

For the record, my post that was removed was not in any way some "Hey let's dig up something from the past," something that was common knowledge about the man's career!  It was merely my surprise that Dambrot actually had a First Amedment free speech case that was heard by a Federal District Court!  That's it! Period End of Statement!  (Maybe I should have posted it under the "other things" category, so fine, it didn't belong on the basketball board!)  

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (5/12/2021 2:21 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/12/2021 3:39 pm  #35

What happened
KD was coaching the CMU in the 92-93 season. Before the Miami of Ohio game, he asked and got permission from the players to use a controversial word.  After the game, the university administration found out what he said and fired him.  He and 11 black players filed a lawsuit against the university for unlawful discrimination stating the university language policy was too vague. He lost the suit. Eventually the students prevailed and the university changed their language policy.  KD was blackballed because of the incident until 2001 when he became an assistant coach at Akron.  Based on the players he recruited and his relationship with them, I haven't heard or read of any racial issues.  Even the players that left the team such as Lewis, Williams, Randal and Carry  who had their issues with KD  never said that KD was racist.  Harper is no fool.. He vetted KD and knew about his history.   I can't find any black leaders in Pittsburgh complaining.

5/12/2021 3:49 pm  #36

i think its all up the players, and how serious they take their time at DU.   Are they just going thru the motions of playing college bball, getting a free education and not caring about Ws and Ls, or are they together as a unit, looking out for each other, working out all summer, practicing their game on their own?   I cant even guess what we will get, there are open casting calls for leaders.   There is some talent there.   I guess we'll see in time.   I think KD needs to realize he is dealing with a different player than he did 10 years ago.   Kids today have piss poor attitudes and walk away from challenges a lot more than back then.   Hopefully he has some players who arent afraid of challenges and understand the opportunity at hand.

5/12/2021 3:52 pm  #37

I appreciated the post about the court case & came away from it feeling a tiny bit better about KD than I had previously.

If this is a board dedicated to discussing Duquesne basketball, how the current coach's past performance contributed to free speech case law as well as how his players & staff dealt with his controversial actions doesn't strike me as a completely insane discussion topic.

It certainly is not the most potentially destructive or loony topic to ever have been addressed here. I also find it hard to believe that posting and/or discussing the case here would/could do any meaningful damage to the program or its staff.

(Incidentally, have any of you ever read the interview he gave the CMU student paper after being called out for the poor language?)

Likewise, there is not one regular poster on this forum, myself included, that hasn't posted a message that is as or more inflammatory than the one that began the current thread. Tejas is not a poster that I find myself in agreement with on a regular basis but, he isn't a troll or troublemaker. 

Different strokes for different folks I say.

5/12/2021 4:11 pm  #38

townsonkid wrote:

i think its all up the players, and how serious they take their time at DU.   Are they just going thru the motions of playing college bball, getting a free education and not caring about Ws and Ls, or are they together as a unit, looking out for each other, working out all summer, practicing their game on their own?   I cant even guess what we will get, there are open casting calls for leaders.   There is some talent there.   I guess we'll see in time.   I think KD needs to realize he is dealing with a different player than he did 10 years ago.   Kids today have piss poor attitudes and walk away from challenges a lot more than back then.   Hopefully he has some players who arent afraid of challenges and understand the opportunity at hand.

I agree.  This team needs a leader.  Who will it be?  I think it was Easley who said in his introductory comments that he is looking to lead.  That makes me think KD was addressing this in his recruitment and Easley believes he can be that guy.  Good.  I hope he has the character to do so.  

As to KD changing his style - I have said on this board previously that KD needs to adjust to this generation of players but I don't think that means he can't be tough on them.  He just needs to find that balance.  Demand discipline but show love.  This generation of kids really needs positive reinforcement.  that doesn't mean you can't be tough though.  I think KD's quotes this past year show he at least realizes he needs to change but at the same time not go soft.   only time will tell

5/12/2021 4:25 pm  #39

phil95 wrote:

I appreciated the post about the court case & came away from it feeling a tiny bit better about KD than I had previously.

If this is a board dedicated to discussing Duquesne basketball, how the current coach's past performance contributed to free speech case law as well as how his players & staff dealt with his controversial actions doesn't strike me as a completely insane discussion topic.

It certainly is not the most potentially destructive or loony topic to ever have been addressed here. I also find it hard to believe that posting and/or discussing the case here would/could do any meaningful damage to the program or its staff.

(Incidentally, have any of you ever read the interview he gave the CMU student paper after being called out for the poor language?)

Likewise, there is not one regular poster on this forum, myself included, that hasn't posted a message that is as or more inflammatory than the one that began the current thread. Tejas is not a poster that I find myself in agreement with on a regular basis but, he isn't a troll or troublemaker. 

Different strokes for different folks I say.

Thank You

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/12/2021 4:52 pm  #40

Styles1229 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I agree.  This team needs a leader.  Who will it be?  I think it was Easley who said in his introductory comments that he is looking to lead.  That makes me think KD was addressing this in his recruitment and Easley believes he can be that guy.  Good.  I hope he has the character to do so.  

As to KD changing his style - I have said on this board previously that KD needs to adjust to this generation of players but I don't think that means he can't be tough on them.  He just needs to find that balance.  Demand discipline but show love.  This generation of kids really needs positive reinforcement.  that doesn't mean you can't be tough though.  I think KD's quotes this past year show he at least realizes he needs to change but at the same time not go soft.   only time will tell

I agree with a lot here. I also thing Gunn, Williams, and Ayers could also be potential leaders as experienced transfers. It's always good to have more than one. Maceo, Rotroff, and even some of the young ones may provide that as well. Gunn in my mind has that look, size, and chip on his shoulder with a lot to prove coming from a Division 2 program. He looks the part of a leader to me. Just my opinion. Also, think everybody needs some positive reinforcement in life whether at a job, playing basketball as a young one, or just existing comfortably. Dambrot needs it as well. Feeling good about this squad, coach, and new arena.

Board footera