Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2021 11:57 am  #1

The Waaaaaaay to early Starting 5 / Next 5 post

With Harris transferring, I "think" we are close to our final roster for next year (apparently we have 1 more scholarship, but if that happens, I'll re-adjust). With that... I took a stab at a waaaaaaay to early Starting 5 / Next 5.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Starting 5:
PG - Tyson Acuff (FR) - 6-4
SG - Leon Ayers III (JR) - 6-6 - from Mercer
SF - Kevin Easley, Jr. (RS SO) - 6-7 from TCU
PF - R.J. Gunn (SR) - 6-7 - from Lenoir–Rhyne Bears (DII)
C - Austin Rotroff (JR) - 6-10

Next 5:
PG - Amir 'Primo' Spears (FR) - 6-2
SG - Maceo Austin (SO) - 6-5
SF - Tochukwu 'Toby' Okani (FR) - 6-7
PF - Tre Williams (SO) - 6-7 - from Indiana State
C - Mounir Hima (FR) - 6-11

Now... I'm putting a lot of hope in Rotroff. From what I hear and see on this board... he's working hard, putting in the work, and if that is the case, I think coach is going to start him. Same thing with Acuff, I feel coach would want someone that is returning from last year run the point, and I think towards the end of the year Acuff showed that he can. So the rest of the starting 5 are all newbies, I think for sure Easley is starting, the other two I can be persuaded otherwise. So agree, disagree, somewhere in between... looking for some initial reactions and some spirited dialog.

5/21/2021 12:48 pm  #2

Re: The Waaaaaaay to early Starting 5 / Next 5 post

StillatShales wrote:

With Harris transferring, I "think" we are close to our final roster for next year (apparently we have 1 more scholarship, but if that happens, I'll re-adjust). With that... I took a stab at a waaaaaaay to early Starting 5 / Next 5.

Starting 5:

Next 5:

Now... I'm putting a lot of hope in Rotroff. From what I hear and see on this board... he's working hard, putting in the work, and if that is the case, I think coach is going to start him. Same thing with Acuff, I feel coach would want someone that is returning from last year run the point, and I think towards the end of the year Acuff showed that he can. So the rest of the starting 5 are all newbies, I think for sure Easley is starting, the other two I can be persuaded otherwise. So agree, disagree, somewhere in between... looking for some initial reactions and some spirited dialog.

I love the energy put into this and I've been tempted to do my own but it's just too hard not knowing what any of the guys will bring.  that said, I lthink Acuff has the starting PG position to lose but that spot will be very competitive.  I can see any of 3 guys emerging.  I like Easley starting but I think Williams will be a starter as well.

Maceo knows KD's defense and plays it well - I can see him starting.  One thing is for sure.  the early games will be super interesting.

5/21/2021 12:51 pm  #3

StillatShales wrote:

Starting 5:

Next 5:

Two guys I feel strongly about are that Tre is a starter, whether at PF or C,and Jackie Johnson is easily in the top 10. So incredibly deep, some talented guys will not get much pt.

I'm assuming that either Tre or Easley can play C if they don't add one. Is that correct?

5/21/2021 1:13 pm  #4

Tre played center last year I believe. This could be the lowest returning point percentage we.ve ever had here. Not too many buckets made by the returners.

5/21/2021 1:14 pm  #5

wharfrat58 wrote:

StillatShales wrote:

Starting 5:

Next 5:

Two guys I feel strongly about are that Tre is a starter, whether at PF or C,and Jackie Johnson is easily in the top 10. So incredibly deep, some talented guys will not get much pt.

I'm assuming that either Tre or Easley can play C if they don't add one. Is that correct?

I don't expect a rotation that won't have at least one of Hima, Rotroff, or Williams in at Center (assuming another Big isn't brought in - but I think there will be one coming.)  that said, today, anything is possible.

5/21/2021 6:48 pm  #6

Initially I had Williams in as the starting center, but I was hard pressed to have a starting 5 that only had one returning player. That and the fact that Rotroff is 6-10, somewhere someone said that famous quote "you can't teach height". Now there is a chance that we add another big, and if he's a high quality / senior level player, he could slide right into the starting 5.

5/21/2021 9:16 pm  #7

I believe that KD’s biggest challenge will be establishing a defensive prowess. The Dukes were an above average team defensively over the past two seasons (80th in defensive efficiency last year, which was negated by such a dismal shooting performance). With so few returning players, those players who pick up the defensive system and rotations are going to get a lion’s share of the minutes

5/22/2021 6:24 am  #8

I believe that it will be difficult to keep Jackie Johnson off the floor. He was highly sought after and has excellent range as a shooter as well as outstanding athleticism. Couple that with the fact that he prepped for a year so is not coming in right out of HS.

5/22/2021 8:42 am  #9

I believe Williams was brought in to be the starting center. He is undersized but, he has started every game  with good results in the MVC for 2 seasons at the position while being selected for the all-defensive team.

5/22/2021 12:08 pm  #10

Challenged vertically not horizontally.

5/22/2021 12:11 pm  #11

I believe that the one player that is being overlooked in all of this turnover is Toby Okani. I fully expect this kid to become a leader and, if he makes that second year leap, he has the potential to be a real presence. His D is already top notch and he has the size to guard 1 through 4. He is a great worker with a great attitude. It will surprise me if Toby is not in the starting line-up.

5/22/2021 12:50 pm  #12

1 Johnson
2 Ayers
3 Okani
4 Easley but was toss up with Gunn
5 Williams

Wanted to put both Easley and Gunn starting but coach has been calling them both 4's.

5/22/2021 2:29 pm  #13

WashPaRick wrote:

1 Johnson
2 Ayers
3 Okani
5 Williams

Wanted to put both Easley and Gunn starting but coach has been calling them both 4's.

Ditto for me WashPA.

Hima is my sleeper, "by mid-season" starter @ 16 minutes per game. Acuff might start the first few games if JJ needs a slow dip in the pool.

I also expect Bekelja to get more minutes than his skill set warrants until Spears, Maceo, or Acuff forces him out of the rotation. I assume he will be KD's new TDM-style pet.

Last edited by phil95 (5/23/2021 8:24 am)

5/22/2021 3:11 pm  #14

WashPaRick wrote:

1 Johnson
2 Ayers
3 Okani
5 Williams

Like your thinking here. Lineup works for me. 

5/24/2021 9:04 am  #15

I can certainly agree with one thing, its waaaaay to early to be debating this.

5/24/2021 10:25 am  #16

Townson I agree, but I guess it keeps people off the streets.  If you look back over Coach D's years, the starting line-up hasn't meant as much as it might to other schools since Coach has usually played many players.  For the Bonnies, it means a lot...for us...not so much.  Maybe that will change.
Go Dukes!

Board footera