Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2021 9:55 am  #1

The City Game

From the Trib’s Jerry DiPaola

“Duquesne coach Keith Dambrot met with reporters this a.m. and spoke on a variety of topics. On the subject of playing Pitt, he said, "Don't count on it." That will make three years in a row the neighboring rivals won't meet in hoops.”

https://twitter.com/jdipaola_trib/status/1397203372093153291?s=21

5/25/2021 10:32 am  #2

5/25/2021 10:36 am  #3

5/25/2021 11:07 am  #4

Re: The City Game

1, good, screw pitt, they left us hanging, so dont even extend them a hand.   Let them be miserable.  Get Penn St on the slate, they are a better program than pitt.

2, hopefully KD is right on, and this is the beginning of some really good times.

5/28/2021 8:11 am  #5

On another front, RMU just quit NCAA Division I ice hockey, both men and women's.  This is six weeks after having hosted the NCAA Frozen Four and having their women's team selected to play in the NCAA Tournament.  The excuse given was to be in line with other institutions as RMU nears their 100th anniversary.  I can't imagine Duquesne giving up hosting an NCAA tournament or an women's NCAA appearance to be more like schools that don't do those things.  Instead, RMU must be in a very precarious financial situation.

5/28/2021 8:52 am  #6

Bilgy wrote:

On another front, RMU just quit NCAA Division I ice hockey, both men and women's.  This is six weeks after having hosted the NCAA Frozen Four and having their women's team selected to play in the NCAA Tournament.  The excuse given was to be in line with other institutions as RMU nears their 100th anniversary.  I can't imagine Duquesne giving up hosting an NCAA tournament or an women's NCAA appearance to be more like schools that don't do those things.  Instead, RMU must be in a very precarious financial situation.

The media going apoplectic about this cracks me the hell up.  All the save RMU hockey tweets.   The media ripped RMU much like they did DU when we cut sports.  But this banding together to help save the sports are just too much.

Before they cut the sports, RMU has a total enrollment of 4,500, an endowment of $40m and had 17 sports.    Three more than Pitt.    And they still have one more sport than Pitt.    There is no way even without Covid that model works.

But the media darlings of Pittsburgh have all the media rallying to save the sports.  If 1/1000 of the people up in arms and tweeting about attended one game they wouldn’t be in this position.  They couldn’t fill a 1000 seat arena to 50% capacity most games.  And their last Three Rivers Classic at PPG drew 1,500 fans.

Having said all that that press release was historically bad and the person that put that together should be unemployed as well.

Last edited by A83 (5/28/2021 9:01 am)

5/29/2021 7:44 am  #7

In reality the sports fans in Pittsburgh really do not care. Come basketball season the news involves the Steelers & Penguins 24/7. Every time the Dukes are playing a home game at the same time Penguins game scheduled across the street I have been told the unsold Pens tickets are discounted for college students. Pittsburgh is not a basketball town unless your team is a top 10 team. Fortunately, this will never happen again at Pitt. Duquesne has a better chance to run the table in the A10 just like Dayton did 2 years prior. The presence of the Penguins has had an impact on college basketball in Yinzerburgh.

5/29/2021 9:17 am  #8

5/29/2021 2:44 pm  #9

And of course it’s the Ziese article it’s DU that takes the brunt of the criticism.   RM won’t play DU because they are honked off about Judith Sole.   Pitt women won’t play because they lose. 

And it wasn’t an ad campaign poking fun at DU (if that is the reason) they arent playing in football.   It was a low class ad RMU targeted at incoming DU freshman that they didn’t have to apply.  If they were accepted at DU, they be accepted at RMU and pay less tuition.    That isn’t a campaign poking fun. 

And of course he mentioned the last tournament appearance.   I don’t like anything about Ziese.   Nothing.

Last edited by A83 (5/29/2021 2:53 pm)

5/29/2021 3:01 pm  #10

Zeise's son, Elijah, played LB for Pitt. Elijah was host
on Zeise's show.
Not surprising Zeise took a shot at DU.
Zeise graduated from Point Park which is not exactly an
elite sports school.

5/29/2021 3:20 pm  #11

I personally don’t give a rats ass if they don’t play the local schools.   I do care when our teams can’t beat other A10 schools.

6/04/2021 6:51 am  #12

I am someone who appreciates long standing sports tradition. Think Army/Navy, Dodgers/Giants, Duke/North Carolina,  Steelers/Browns, etc. They are fun even for the casual observer. The city game was certainly  such a tradition and I do miss it even though it was quite lopsided in favor of Pitt over the last several decades. It wasn't always that way and could easily become much more competitive now. It is a shame if this game is off the table for a considerable length of time. While it doesn't make or break the season for either school, it added some color and excitement to the early season and even gave the respective players something to get excited about. Of course there were more local players involved back in the day, but would still be a nice touch to the season for me. Hope to see this series resume sooner than later. 

6/04/2021 8:03 am  #13

I just read The Backyard Brawl for college basketball is back via a 4 year deal. Huggs got to be licking his chops against Pitt. Chapel the coward can’t travel down the street to play at PPG. He will be fired within the next 2 years. Maybe then the new Pitt Coach will have the stones to reinstate The City Game. My favorite team come game day is whoever is playing Pitt.

6/04/2021 10:58 am  #14

El Presidente wrote:

I am someone who appreciates long standing sports tradition. Think Army/Navy, Dodgers/Giants, Duke/North Carolina,  Steelers/Browns, etc. They are fun even for the casual observer. The city game was certainly  such a tradition and I do miss it even though it was quite lopsided in favor of Pitt over the last several decades. It wasn't always that way and could easily become much more competitive now. It is a shame if this game is off the table for a considerable length of time. While it doesn't make or break the season for either school, it added some color and excitement to the early season and even gave the respective players something to get excited about. Of course there were more local players involved back in the day, but would still be a nice touch to the season for me. Hope to see this series resume sooner than later. 

That's what I don't get. For decades, lets be honest, Pitt carried us in playing that game. Their RPI probably lowered if they didn't beat us by enough. And now, when we are at least competitive, they want to pull the plug?  That doesn't make sense to me.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/04/2021 11:15 am  #15

Wont play until Capel is gone, which could be in one more season.   I always thought a Saturday right before students go on Xmas break would be a great time to play that game, on campus or PPG, and not tuesday Dec 2nd.   in the meantime, no reason not to be playing RMU, home and home.   Both programs have nice buildings, and they did allow us to play some games there during Coop construction.   Play them before pitt.

9/09/2021 2:01 pm  #16

Now hearing that RMU is considering bringing back their Div I men and women's hockey programs in 2022-23.  It will be difficult.  Most of the players have left and RMU will have to reapply to the conference to rejoin. The decision is probably contingent on whether or not the programs bring in revenue. 

9/09/2021 10:06 pm  #17

They will never make money on men’s or women’s hockey; and playing at a remote location means they won’t get students either.

Board footera