Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/03/2021 9:49 am  #26

Re: Jett Roesing Transfers

My opinion only:  His comments in the article reminded me of when TJ left. I read between the lines that the players around him were the issue in terms of talent. Again, my opinion. Also, if true,  I can’t argue with that since they have not made a tournament.
Go Dukes.

6/03/2021 9:58 am  #27

FAM wrote:

My opinion only: His comments in the article reminded me of when TJ left. I read between the lines that the players around him were the issue in terms of talent. Again, my opinion. Also, if true, I can’t argue with that since they have not made a tournament.
Go Dukes.

If that is the case then I don't understand why he only saw 5 minutes of PT last year.  Not like red shirtting was the issue - everybody got a redshirt last season.  Why is it nobody has commented that Jett was part of the toxic culture in the locker room?  seems like almost everybody else who has transferred out seems to have taken on that label.  Not Jett.

Last edited by Styles1229 (6/03/2021 9:59 am)

6/03/2021 10:25 am  #28

No idea. We may never know. Good questions on … he hardly played.  Go Dukes.

6/03/2021 12:01 pm  #29

FAM wrote:

No idea. We may never know. Good questions on … he hardly played. Go Dukes.

He may very well have been upset with his lack of playing time and was just as much of a problem as a few of the others seem to have been.  Either way, KD made it clear he wanted a specific type of player moving forward and proceeded to clean house.  Jett was part of the house cleaning.  As with a few of the others, we will indeed never know to what extent any of them were causing problems.  If he is a highly coveted transfer though my guess is he was in some form of KD's doghouse.

6/03/2021 12:29 pm  #30

It’s all speculation of who were the bad actors and who were not troublesome. But we do know that Chad Baker seemed to be one of these bad actors. If so, how would you feel if he (Baker) continued to be in the starting lineup and getting the majority of the minutes and you as a model player, can not even sniff playing time? I would get out of dodge as quick as possible, as have  80%  of the players that had eligibility have done. I find it odd, that a coach that has over twenty years of head coaching experience, just now knows what kind of player he wants. Basically the coach is starting over in year 5 at a million dollars a year.

6/03/2021 12:32 pm  #31

"I find it odd, that a coach that has over twenty years of head coaching experience, just now knows what kind of player he wants."  Wildwood

Good Point!

6/03/2021 12:54 pm  #32

Wildwood13 wrote:

It’s all speculation of who were the bad actors and who were not troublesome. But we do know that Chad Baker seemed to be one of these bad actors. If so, how would you feel if he (Baker) continued to be in the starting lineup and getting the majority of the minutes and you as a model player, can not even sniff playing time? I would get out of dodge as quick as possible, as have  80%  of the players that had eligibility have done. I find it odd, that a coach that has over twenty years of head coaching experience, just now knows what kind of player he wants. Basically the coach is starting over in year 5 at a million dollars a year.

I'm not going to fault KD for playing Baker when Baker was pouring in points every night.  imagine the criticism he'd face if he DIDN'T play Baker.  I'm sure Jett's frustrations lie with Bekelja's playing time.  And it's all just speculation (that's what we do here) but I can't imagine Jett being a "model player" with a great attitude losing minutes to Mike Bekelja.  Either KD didn't like Jett's skills once he saw them on a daily basis or they weren't good enough to outweigh a character issue.   When it came time to clean house he recruited over Jett so something was going on.  

Maybe Jett will write a book one day and we finally know!

6/03/2021 12:59 pm  #33

I think it must be considered that just because Jett did not fit Duquesne or Dambrot’s play style does not mean he did anything wrong.

On another team he may be able to be a pure shooter without the worry of being a defensive liability. Unfortunately, that is not the case for the Dukes. I assume that was Dambrot’s main worry and he may have the evidence from practice to prove so. Still wish Jett would have got some time in game!

I wish him the best of luck!

6/03/2021 2:06 pm  #34

With our luck he will end up with the Bonnies and smack us when we play!!!
Go Dukes.

6/03/2021 2:25 pm  #35

All i know about is what I see on the court, and he didnt play, even above the so called "bad apples" and guys Dambrot had riffs with, like Harris and Baker.   So, in my mind, dude wasnt that good.   He claims he can light it up from deep, well, I can claim that too, and play as much as he did.  We all want these guys to have success here, because that means the team is better.   But as we all should know by now, it doesnt always work that way.   Not sure what all the fuss is about, or if its just something to keep talking about because there is nothing else.   KD should burn his doghouse to the ground, and start playing his best players all the time, he needs to win something meaningful, PDQ.    

Last edited by townsonkid (6/03/2021 2:25 pm)

6/03/2021 5:04 pm  #36

Wish Jett the best. There's a reason why he's no longer with the team and probably a good one. What that reason is we may never know!

6/04/2021 9:45 am  #37

Wildwood13 wrote:

. I find it odd, that a coach that has over twenty years of head coaching experience, just now knows what kind of player he wants. Basically the coach is starting over in year 5 at a million dollars a year.

Careful, you're not allowed to say that on this board, I asked that question a few weeks ago and got pilloried for it.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/04/2021 11:43 am  #38

Not quite starting over here. We have Okani, Acuff, Maceo, Rotroff, Bekelja, and Hima back from last season .Hughes went pro, Marcus wanted to be with his brother wherever that happened to be. We have what most believe to be some top transfers coming on board for next season.  Think it's a bit of hyperbole  to say starting over and suggesting that the "blame" is on the coach. Of course I don't have an axe to grind against the coach or anyone else and, while I don't know that anyone on this board does, it does seem like KD is taking a real hit here for doing nothing but turning this moribund program around in short order. Have some of us forgotten what a joke this program was not so many years ago? Does the name Danny Nee jar anyone's memory? You want an A-10 championship? Well so does every other team in the conference and they're all attempting to win one. I really believe this is an exciting time to be a Duke's fan and happy to fork over whatever my tickets cost to be at the Coop rooting them on!     

6/04/2021 2:09 pm  #39

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

. I find it odd, that a coach that has over twenty years of head coaching experience, just now knows what kind of player he wants. Basically the coach is starting over in year 5 at a million dollars a year.

Careful, you're not allowed to say that on this board, I asked that question a few weeks ago and got pilloried for it.

Some people make the goofiest comments ever on this board about this coach. Wildwood, why don't you go back and enjoy reminiscing about the good old days when Duquesne was playing some great basketball with powerhouse rosters under guys like Scott Edgar, Darrelle Porter and Danny Nee, That was some fun years, man. Let's not forget that defensive whiz, Jim Ferry. I didn't care if they made the A10 tournament. I was just happy when they reached double figures in wins.

6/04/2021 4:13 pm  #40

Crosseye wrote:

Some people make the goofiest comments ever on this board about this coach. Wildwood, why don't you go back and enjoy reminiscing about the good old days when Duquesne was playing some great basketball with powerhouse rosters under guys like Scott Edgar, Darrelle Porter and Danny Nee, That was some fun years, man. Let's not forget that defensive whiz, Jim Ferry. I didn't care if they made the A10 tournament. I was just happy when they reached double figures in wins.

And ad hominem and straw man attacks don't improve the level of discourse here.  No one denies the good things Dambrot (also Harper and Gormley) have done and the strides this program has made, so spare us that.  Some people are asking some good questions and seeking answers.  I made the point about going back to square one because of team chemistry, and once again we have a group of strangers who haven't played together and hoping they gell fast.  Year five and a lot of the players this coach has recruited have left, and there should be questions about that. Saying we want to call UBMC and buy out Jim Ferry? Puh-leez!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/04/2021 7:46 pm  #41

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

And ad hominem and straw man attacks don't improve the level of discourse here.  No one denies the good things Dambrot (also Harper and Gormley) have done and the strides this program has made, so spare us that.  Some people are asking some good questions and seeking answers.  I made the point about going back to square one because of team chemistry, and once again we have a group of strangers who haven't played together and hoping they gell fast.  Year five and a lot of the players this coach has recruited have left, and there should be questions about that. Saying we want to call UBMC and buy out Jim Ferry? Puh-leez!

Your right.Bringing up a Federal lawsuit 30 years ago that is a sound discussion. Please. Crosseye goofy indeed. 

6/04/2021 11:31 pm  #42

Ironduke81 wrote:

Your right.Bringing up a Federal lawsuit 30 years ago that is a sound discussion. Please. Crosseye goofy indeed. 

Another straw man. Clever!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/05/2021 6:27 am  #43

I’m now convinced that anything I may have thought about keeping Coach Dambrot and the long history Duquesne has in seeing coach after coach “succeed” is wrong.   I mean 5 seasons of finally getting more wins than loses is enough, man (straw man?)!

After this season when we finally get rid of the million dollar man I’ll bet we could convince Coach K (too lazy to spell his name) to come out of retirement and coach another team with “Duke” as part of its name.  He’d be near his buddy at Pitt and they could go out for coffee or something.  And with our track record he wouldn’t have to stay that long anyway before we let him finally retire.

If that doesn’t work the job will be attractive enough that we could probably get Coach Williams as an alternative!

Yeah, that’s it.  Coaching problem solved!  You can now close out this thread while I add:  

6/05/2021 6:27 am  #44

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

Here is the problem....

People make comments here and are offended by pushback.  Why??  Wild man writes a War and Peace type post making many claims and does not want ANY push back.  People make statements like they don't like the coach and he is a putz...and never come back to those statements.  Marcus needs work just to be a good A10 backup...Ellis and Kelly are stars...MB sucks...and on and on and never write or say "oops....got that wrong", or "he really improved beyond my expectations".  You can criticize Hughes, TDM and MB but guys who leave are off limits. Graduating from DU or staying does not get you more respect than taking your ball and going home??  You state that they are back at square one. Most would disagree.  If they prove better than KD's first team will you be back and say you were wrong??  We shall see.  Seeking answers??  Please....this is a sports forum and there are few answers...just opinions.  Some informed...most not.  Your tone and the adjectives you use make it obvious that you do not like KD.  The Ball State coach that turned down the job just prior to KD is still available....give him a call.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (6/05/2021 6:59 am)

6/05/2021 6:41 am  #45

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

Here is the problem....

People make comments here and are offended by pushback. Why?? Wild man writes a War and Peace type post making many claims and does not want ANY push back. People make statements like they don't like the coach and he is a putz...and never come back to those statements. Marcus needs work just to be a good A10 backup...Ellis and Kelly are stars...MB sucks...and on and on and never write or say "oops....got that wrong", or he really improved beyond my expectations. You can criticize Hughes, TDM and MB but guys who leave are off limits. Graduating from DU or staying does not get you more respect than taking your ball and going home?? You state that they are back at square one. Most would disagree. If they prove better than KD's first team will you be back and say you were wrong?? We shall see. Seeking answers?? Please....this is a sports forum and there are few answers...just opinions. Some informed...most not. Your tone and the adjectives you use make it obvious that you do not like KD. The Ball State coach that turned down the job just prior to KD is still available....give him a call.

Already solved the problem. See earlier post

You’re welcome everybody. 

6/05/2021 9:27 am  #46

Dsnyder15 wrote:

[ Some informed...most not. Your tone and the adjectives you use make it obvious that you do not like KD. The Ball State coach that turned down the job just prior to KD is still available....give him a call.

I merely asked the question, and before another thread got derailed in ugly accusations toward me, there were some very intelligent thoughts expressed as to whether or not we were truly back at square one!  And the thought that I don't like this coach?  Go back nine years and read what I posted after the Ron Fiasco, I vowed that Ferry was it for me!  It was only the hire of Dambrot that kept me in the game when I was ready to throw in the towel like 95% of fans the last forty years or so (not the Ball State Coach, not King Rice, nor any of the others who it seemed we were up for), and at that point I stepped up and became a season ticket holder for the first time in my life! Asking a few questions about personnel management, and roster turnover is hardly "hoping for a coach to fail."  But I guess some people will read whatever they want into things! Oh well!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/05/2021 2:04 pm  #47

Mulder wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Here is the problem....

People make comments here and are offended by pushback. Why?? Wild man writes a War and Peace type post making many claims and does not want ANY push back. People make statements like they don't like the coach and he is a putz...and never come back to those statements. Marcus needs work just to be a good A10 backup...Ellis and Kelly are stars...MB sucks...and on and on and never write or say "oops....got that wrong", or he really improved beyond my expectations. You can criticize Hughes, TDM and MB but guys who leave are off limits. Graduating from DU or staying does not get you more respect than taking your ball and going home?? You state that they are back at square one. Most would disagree. If they prove better than KD's first team will you be back and say you were wrong?? We shall see. Seeking answers?? Please....this is a sports forum and there are few answers...just opinions. Some informed...most not. Your tone and the adjectives you use make it obvious that you do not like KD. The Ball State coach that turned down the job just prior to KD is still available....give him a call.

Already solved the problem. See earlier post

You’re welcome everybody. 

Dsnyder15:

-3 years ago, I wrote that I think KD is a "tool". That is a comment, (as I have explained several times), only on his public persona because I don't know him personally & am unlikely to. I still feel that way though, at the request of the board moderators, I have used different language to express the same notion. So, there is no reason for me to come back to this comment.

I have also posted many positive comments about the coach's abilities as a program builder, leader, recruiter, etc... Those are my opinions. Nobody else needs to appreciate or share them. Feel free to comment on them all you like but, please don't misrepresent them or my willingness to revisit them.

You were clearly offended by the "pushback" I sent your way in explaining my position on this topic. As you have once again raised this topic at such a distant remove, it is obvious that you aren't really over it. Such is your right. 

You have also made it clear that any less than glowing back & forth commentary about all things MAC basketball past & present has the potential to draw a rebuke from you.

-This will be at least the 4th time I have written about how wrong I was in evaluating Marcus Weathers as a player after his first 10 games as a Duke. He was pretty awful in those games. As one of the main board themes of the last half of Marcus's first season & the beginning of his second was how surprised/stoked many posters were to enjoy the fantastic player he turned out to be, I am definitely not the only devoted Dukes fan that was dubious as to this player's merits at that time. 

If my math is correct, that was only the 349,013th time I was dead-ass wrong about something in my entire life. Sadly, this number continues to spiral upward despite my best efforts.

The one time I met Marcus, I diplomatically told him this tale & apologized for my poor evaluation skills while loudly singing his praises. ( I am quite sure he thought me to be a goofy old guy. He was very warm & polite nonetheless.)

Long-term Dukes's fans are a little predisposed to plan for the worst AND expect disaster. 40+ years of futility will do that to a person. I politely request that you please treat me (us) gently in this regard.

-Since KD signed on at Duquesne, you have been a frequent poster. You have provided many insights, opinions, & factoids about the coach's system & tendencies based on your long fandom. The vast majority of this information is correct & much appreciated. However, you have also posted many items that don't represent what has been observed over the past 4 seasons at DU and/or ignores the way that the coach, his coaching, & the game have changed during that time. You, like the rest of us, have also posted some "facts" that are just plain wrong. 

I raise these points for 1 reason. I can recall only one instance when after being presented with a differing opinion, you deigned to admit that KD may have changed his methodology for the item in question.

This is only relevant because, in the post of yours that I am quoting, you imply that folks should revisit the content of their previous posts & offer the appropriate mea culpa for their rhetorical transgressions. 

6/29/2021 7:16 pm  #48

6/30/2021 7:06 am  #49

Alrighty then, Rider, lets close the book on this and move on.

6/30/2021 5:12 pm  #50

As Gene Hackman said , ":Let's focus on who we are instead of who we aren't." Or words to that effect.

Board footera