Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2021 3:51 pm  #1

Duquesne Hiring

I would say that this position is long overdue, however, another big step in the right direction.  Go Dukes!

Assistant Director, Creative Services and Production - Athletics (csod.com)

7/22/2021 1:06 pm  #2

Re: Duquesne Hiring

This is not a new position.   Sydney Bauer had this position and left to go to the Penguins as a Pens TV producer.

She produced nice online content.  You can’t judge last year of course.  But In house game day production has been woefully inadequate.  I don’t judge the person rather the resources given to them.  Hopefully with two giant screens at the new place they can put something better together.   They had video capacity at the old place and nothing was done graphics wise.  But it was obvious that they did little with in game production.

Last edited by A83 (7/22/2021 8:35 pm)

7/22/2021 3:33 pm  #3

I am not a marketing genius...no wait I am. My point is why not ramp up selling Duquesne basketball now while the only thing in Pittsburgh Sports are the Pirates. Who cares bad ownership. By the time college basketball rolls around you have the Steelers, Penguins ramping up new season, college football & the race to the new 12 team playoff. That means ND, Penn State but no Pitt👍. The team up the street in Oakland will spend advertising dollars as an ACC bottom feeder. Hopefully, such an effort should result in a sellout of season tickets at the Cooper Center. If the administration only fills 50% season tickets purchases I believe they have failed. Not to be a negative poster but maybe now is the time to strike the Pittsburgh market. Go Dukes

7/22/2021 3:43 pm  #4

Iron Duke, I agree…good points.  

7/22/2021 4:07 pm  #5

FAM wrote:

Iron Duke, I agree…good points.  

FAM you can join our new marketing team.👍

7/22/2021 7:47 pm  #6

I don’t mean to be contrary but no marketing campaign is going to put people in the seats.   A winning team AND an excellent fan experience when attending will bring people in and keep them coming back.

7/22/2021 8:16 pm  #7

Of course… Winning is the basis of every team.  However, there also has to be a positive experience when you are there; no closing of concession stands Before the game is over, accurate and updated stats throughout the game, and when you are watching on line or on tv. We all know Duquesne needs the total package. Go Dukes. 

7/22/2021 8:31 pm  #8

FAM wrote:

Of course… Winning is the basis of every team.  However, there also has to be a positive experience when you are there; no closing of concession stands Before the game is over, accurate and updated stats throughout the game, and when you are watching on line or on tv. We all know Duquesne needs the total package. Go Dukes. 

I agree 100%.  Everything counts in game day experience.  My point was commercial advertising does squat.

7/22/2021 9:07 pm  #9

A83 wrote:

I don’t mean to be contrary but no marketing campaign is going to put people in the seats.   A winning team AND an excellent fan experience when attending will bring people in and keep them coming back.

Ok winning gets people in seats. Agree. However, new arena downsized in numbers from the Palumbo. Clearly, the Cooper Center is a 1st class A10 facility. In my opinion you must sell out ALL season tickets. Chicken or the egg. Winning yes but the major objective is to sell out 4500 seats via season ticket holders. Now is the time to sell out the Cooper Center.A  Winning team will & should support a sold out first class facility. Think big A83 sell out the arena before the first game this season. Make Dukes basketball a special event, 4,500 season tickets is not that unreasonable. At that point I so agree with your point as to creating an excellent fan experience.

7/23/2021 4:17 pm  #10

I agree Ironduke81. There is so much more that DU can be doing to create preseason excitement and "Building their Brand" For example these Get To Know videos are so elementary. Who cares if a players favorite food is pizza. How about some creativity in asking them about their game with included action videos. The elevation of the DU Brand is integral with players Brand. Of course winning is the key but creating excitement in the fan base and atmosphere helps winning. If this is KD's best team at DU and the Coop is as good as some have reported then sell it in the community and especially with the students when they return.

This doesn't only apply to basketball. DU Football is playing TCU in about a month. What is DU doing to create excitement? Are they setting up package deals for fans and parents to go the game.

I am hopeful things are changing at DU, however, as a long time fan it seems DU goes into news and information black out in the summers with minimal effort or care.

7/23/2021 8:49 pm  #11

CLK I get your frustration as a loyal & long time Dukes fan.Problem prior administration ranging from former Presidents, Priest, coaches & ADs were well incompetent. Today thanks to the current President, coaches & AD we have some hope. However 50 years of accumulated scare tissue to the long term fan base does support your concerns, right or wrong. My point is very simple. As the result of 50 years of mishaps I believe the Duquesne fan base is a 1500 fans. One would assume 1500 season tickets will be sold. Now the 500lb gorilla in the room...3000 season tickets to market from perhaps non Duquesne alumni but college basketball fans. If they can’t close that deal & say we must win first then Houston we have a problem. 3000 additional tickets to pack the Cooper Center is not that lofty of a goal. While people vacation in the summer the AD department should demand its staff to uncover every potential season ticket purchaser. How about reach out to the remaining loyal 1500 fans & provide them with an incentive to bring their neighbors as season ticket holders. This is not that difficult to sell out the 2021-22 season with a brand new spanking first class arena. Cmon man let’s get it done. Go Dukes

7/23/2021 9:31 pm  #12

So let me add this… how in the hell are they going to get the students to go. That hasn’t been mentioned.  The 1500 number is a fair one.,, but that IS the adult season ticket holders.  Duquesne has had extremely poor student support. What is being done about that??

Go Dukes

7/24/2021 1:58 pm  #13

Could be a tough sell in a city that doesn't embrace basketball. The use of the term "college basketball fans" when referring to Western PA is foreign to the yinzer fan base. Now if the Pitt Panthers are any good, then all of a sudden, everyone becomes a college basketball fan. Kind of hilarious, don't you think? For the most part, this fan base thinks Duquesne plays in a one-bid conference that is incapable of beating Power 5 schools. It will be a challenge for Duquesne's marketing/ticketing/athletics to woo the casual Pittsburgh basketball fan, which means we're talking about the highest level of casual if you ask me. Hey, at least we don't have a red-faced Colleary anymore standing in the corner loosening his tie. And let's not forget Hogan's Heroes. That was a hoot. 

7/24/2021 7:55 pm  #14

FAM wrote:

So let me add this… how in the hell are they going to get the students to go. That hasn’t been mentioned. The 1500 number is a fair one.,, but that IS the adult season ticket holders. Duquesne has had extremely poor student support. What is being done about that??

Go Dukes

Only way they are going to get students to attend is to create a mandatory class. Attending sporting events 101.

Last edited by WashPaRick (7/24/2021 7:56 pm)

7/24/2021 9:56 pm  #15

Don't have enough time to read but the student support issue is attendance #1. Is this such a mystery?  To quote someone "come on man!"

7/26/2021 9:42 am  #16

Not much of this has anything to do with the job listed above, but they need to elaborate, think outside the box.

Have a free tuition half court shot, every home A10 game, 1 random students gets to shoot from half court, make it, get free tuition for a year.   Maybe 1 kid will make it.   Drop in the bucket for DU.   The students parents will be calling them and telling them to go to games!   :-)

The freshman class, part of them, were just in the Coop for some orientation kind of thing, gotta hope they liked the place and want to go back.

Free pizza or t shirts arent enough to get students to games in 2021.

Do fraternity and sorority nights.   They can promote themselves for a night, recruit students to their group.

Have a free throw contest, winner gets dinner at a local joint.

Also do free t shirts, red wave, blue freeze, white out nights.   

Somehow offer up a luxury sweet to some group for a game, everything included, food, drinks, etc.   If thats even possible, IDK.

Can we get a mascot back at the games?

Create a name for the student section, The Coop Group.   

Better graphics now, do a cool starting lineup into, better music and sound system, and hopefully a better product will get people there.   But I agree, start running ads for season tickets now, tv and radio.   

Last edited by townsonkid (7/26/2021 10:11 am)

7/26/2021 12:05 pm  #17

townsonkid wrote:

Not much of this has anything to do with the job listed above, but they need to elaborate, think outside the box.

Have a free tuition half court shot, every home A10 game, 1 random students gets to shoot from half court, make it, get free tuition for a year.   Maybe 1 kid will make it.   Drop in the bucket for DU.   The students parents will be calling them and telling them to go to games!   :-)

The freshman class, part of them, were just in the Coop for some orientation kind of thing, gotta hope they liked the place and want to go back.

Free pizza or t shirts arent enough to get students to games in 2021.

Do fraternity and sorority nights.   They can promote themselves for a night, recruit students to their group.

Have a free throw contest, winner gets dinner at a local joint.

Also do free t shirts, red wave, blue freeze, white out nights.   

Somehow offer up a luxury sweet to some group for a game, everything included, food, drinks, etc.   If thats even possible, IDK.

Can we get a mascot back at the games?

Create a name for the student section, The Coop Group.   

Better graphics now, do a cool starting lineup into, better music and sound system, and hopefully a better product will get people there.   But I agree, start running ads for season tickets now, tv and radio.   

Some cool ideas, townsonkid! Absolutely have to think outside the box if anything is going to happen with getting students to go to games. Like the half court shot. Very creative! Hope someone in promotions reads your post!
There have always been too many missed opportunities at Duquesne. This must change!!

7/29/2021 6:38 am  #18

A coach once said "It's NOT the number of seats in the building -- it's the number of rear ends (he probably used a different term) in them --  THIS post deals with some ideas to increase attendance as a whole. EVERY little bit helps.

The event yesterday dealt only with Season Tickets which is understandable since the schedule is probably not completely finalized.

Does the Athletic Department have ANY Partial Ticket Plans where a discount is offered??

Can an individual purchase something like a Pick-Six where he/she might be able to purchase tickets for six games at say the price of five??

Could a similar discount be there for someone who might want a "Weekender Package"  -  Saturday (possibly Sunday Games) -  Because it could be a Family Situation where a younger fan would have school the next day and a late mid-week game ending time could pose a problem.

Same could go for some of A-10 games.

Could free parking be offered to some of these purchasers -  while not a game changer -- it is a small way of showing the fans "we appreciate your patronage"  If I'm not mistaken the Parking Tax is 32% in the City of Pittsburgh and that portion goes directly to the City.  Or possibly coupons which would provide small discounts on merchandise/concession purchases.

Board footera