Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/29/2021 6:49 am  #1

Touring the Coop

After attending yesterday's open house, the Coop will be a great place to watch basketball.  A lot of positives, not the least of which was the staff who were around to talk to. 

Intended to take one of the tours but found it easier to just walk around, latch onto one tour or another when they came near and otherwise just explore.  The photos people have already seen are better than anything I could post so I won't though I took a lot.  Not sure where to begin.

First, there is a lot of the old AJP in the new building.  If you were able to look around when they renovated the coaches offices and workout areas when Ron was coach you would see that.  But overall the place is brighter where it needs to be with much more of an atmosphere of something special. 

There does not appear to be a bad seat in the house.  I have seats in one of the fan corners and I tried each of them out.  May have to do a little leaning in here and there depending on which fan corner seat you have but they should be a great place to watch a game because everything will essentially unfold in front of you.  I was under the assumption that ticket holders would be able to pick their seats but I think mine are assigned.  I asked and was told there would be a separate event for ticket holders later in the year. 

The suites may be the most interesting look.  Seats are obviously high but it's a good look at the court.  Suites seem to have typical amenities for seating, food, etc. that  you might expect and are a decent size. 

Just below the suites is the Club area which will be open to premium seat holders.  However, the size may limit other premium seats like fan corner ticket holders from getting in there as those in the seats in front have first choice.  In front of the club area seating is another premium section (labeled 201 to 205 - didn't see any other designation there).  Again, the view is terrific though the seats in the first row are a bit cramped. 

There is a much larger concession area in the middle of the field house on the side opposite the club seats that appears to take the space where the large President's suite had been in AJP. 

Meeting the people there was great.  Had a nice conversation with Coach Burt who is a gentleman and overall class guy.  The 2 trainers who were in that area of the fieldhouse did a great job explaining their role and showing off the 2 new training areas.  And the weight room is just amazing with the level of equipment there.

A few negatives - the seats that remain from AJP need a bit of sprucing up.  Some clean up or paint or something is needed there.  The seats themselves appear to be the same as those in the old facility but I could be mistaken about that.  I stopped at my old seats to take a look and they appeared to be the same.  They may have overdone the size of the fan corners as the seats are a bit close and the ones on the corners of each of the 4 areas may not provide the best view.  The large windows are fantastic but during the day would provide a lot of glare on the court and for people sitting opposite.  Of course, when fully lit that may disappear and I'm told they have a large "drape" that can close them. 

Despite all that, this is a great facility.  I'm interested in what others may have seen during their time touring.  And I'm looking forward to the first game (though with a schedule not complete my first game may not come until later November due to work and travel).

7/29/2021 7:58 am  #2

Re: Touring the Coop

I signed up for tickets in that 201-205 section, there are only like 3 rows, and you say the first one is crampied, I'm 6'2'' with bad knees, so that might make me try for 2nd-3rd row.   I couldnt make it yesterday, wanted to check out that section.   But any info is good, thanks.  

7/29/2021 8:43 am  #3

townsonkid wrote:

I signed up for tickets in that 201-205 section, there are only like 3 rows, and you say the first one is crampied, I'm 6'2'' with bad knees, so that might make me try for 2nd-3rd row.   I couldnt make it yesterday, wanted to check out that section.   But any info is good, thanks.  

I'm about 5'11" and I found the row cramped behind a see through partition.  I found the seat a bit tight too but then I'm overweight.  I sat in the next row and it seemed better. 

When we played at RMU they had a similar section with the first row behind a partition and it seemed tight in the same way.  But overall you will probably like the view of the court there.

7/29/2021 9:04 am  #4

Yeah, I figure its gonna be a nice view.   Maybe I will ask for the top row in that section, if I even have a choice.   Thanks!

7/29/2021 5:39 pm  #5

I had a chance to briefly talk with players Austin Rotroff and Mounir Hima, both of whom were very pleasant and personally impressive.  When I told them that we’re going to need a tough and nasty presence at the C position, Austin insisted “I have to work against this guy [Mounir] in practice and can tell you he’s just that.”  Also briefly met Jackie Johnson III.   All were outgoing and a joy to meet!
The weight lifting and workout areas are par excellent.  Should be able to avoid hamstrings etc!
The facility is A-1 as long as we are going to keep the seats relatively full.  The views are excellent from any seat in the house.  I hope the acoustics will be intimidating to our visitors!

7/30/2021 8:29 am  #6

I enjoyed the renovated building.I had a big smile on my face ,enjoyed talking to Coach Burt and impressed
by everything.I thought the one thing missing was a hall of fame room full of team pictures,great players
and the story of Chuck Cooper in detail. You could line the fieldhouse with team pictures.The video from
the 1955 Nit championship.Duquesne fans have favorite memories.Duquesne was a national power in
football.Tell the story with trophies,pictures,videos.A missed oppurtunity.

7/30/2021 8:36 am  #7

Sports fans love their teams history,Mossie Murphy,Merle Gilliland,Ray Goss.Stories need to be told.Who
was Chick Davies,Dudey Moore,Red Manning.Need a area or use the entire fieldhouse aand line it with pictures.We cant forget the past and the special players that wore a Dukes uniform.

7/30/2021 8:50 am  #8

Duquesne and the relationship with the Steelers,the Rooney family,one of of the great ownership families
in NFL history.Tell their stories.  A lot of Duquesne players played for the Steelers.A hall of fame  area
is a must.

7/30/2021 9:21 am  #9

Who was Chuck Cooper?The renovated building has his name on it and a historical marker outside of the building.His story needs to be told concerning his character,strength in living in a openly racist period
and how he lived his life as a pioneer in integrating the NBA. Chucks story deserves more detail.

7/30/2021 10:15 am  #10

I agree with the need for a HOF for Duquesne Athletics but it must be done right, with class and enough space to tell the stories and honor the greats.  Perhaps this could be added to an adjoining building as the entire project continues.  I recall that the plans included some other structures and amenities.  The history needs to be preserved and highlighted.

7/30/2021 10:46 am  #11

gjgsr wrote:

I had a chance to briefly talk with players Austin Rotroff and Mounir Hima, both of whom were very pleasant and personally impressive.  When I told them that we’re going to need a tough and nasty presence at the C position, Austin insisted “I have to work against this guy [Mounir] in practice and can tell you he’s just that.”  Also briefly met Jackie Johnson III.   All were outgoing and a joy to meet!

How is Hima's size & weight? Is he looking like the new weight room had done him well?
The weight lifting and workout areas are par excellent.  Should be able to avoid hamstrings etc!
The facility is A-1 as long as we are going to keep the seats relatively full.  The views are excellent from any seat in the house.  I hope the acoustics will be intimidating to our visitors!

7/30/2021 10:57 am  #12

The Rooney family and their ties to Duquesne.The most widely recognized and respected family ownership 
of professional sports in American history and their names are on a plaque in this beautiful building???
The Rooneys are Pittsburgh royalty and Duquesne alums.Duquesne athletics wants attention and the
Rooneys make a connection to Steeler nation which includes millions of fans worldwide many dont know
pronounce the word Duquesne.Its time to draw attention to the Rooneys

7/30/2021 7:43 pm  #13

Stew the Rooney family isn’t going to do (profanity). The McKinley family just donated big bucks for the medical school. They where related thru marriage. Your points are great posting blown up photos as to the past. I am sure given time the AD will figure it out. I was not in the Cooper Center for the tour but everything I have heard was the facility was first class. Yes blown up back & whites of the past is great but I recommend a photo of you in the end zone posting a fire Colleary sign . Classic. You are the man👌

7/31/2021 4:21 pm  #14

Re the size of Mounir Hima - i would guess his shoulders have broadened some,   perhaps from lifting weights and maybe that will bode well for him to 'own space' under and around the boards....

8/02/2021 5:52 pm  #15

I saw this post on Twitter from Jonny @TheBluffBlog  It contains some good pictures from the Open House event.
https://twitter.com/TheBluffBlog/status/1420544738189578244

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (8/02/2021 5:58 pm)

8/05/2021 10:57 am  #16

Mulder wrote:

After attending yesterday's open house, the Coop will be a great place to watch basketball.  A lot of positives, not the least of which was the staff who were around to talk to. 

Intended to take one of the tours but found it easier to just walk around, latch onto one tour or another when they came near and otherwise just explore.  The photos people have already seen are better than anything I could post so I won't though I took a lot.  Not sure where to begin.

First, there is a lot of the old AJP in the new building.  If you were able to look around when they renovated the coaches offices and workout areas when Ron was coach you would see that.  But overall the place is brighter where it needs to be with much more of an atmosphere of something special. 

There does not appear to be a bad seat in the house.  I have seats in one of the fan corners and I tried each of them out.  May have to do a little leaning in here and there depending on which fan corner seat you have but they should be a great place to watch a game because everything will essentially unfold in front of you.  I was under the assumption that ticket holders would be able to pick their seats but I think mine are assigned.  I asked and was told there would be a separate event for ticket holders later in the year. 

The suites may be the most interesting look.  Seats are obviously high but it's a good look at the court.  Suites seem to have typical amenities for seating, food, etc. that  you might expect and are a decent size. 

Just below the suites is the Club area which will be open to premium seat holders.  However, the size may limit other premium seats like fan corner ticket holders from getting in there as those in the seats in front have first choice.  In front of the club area seating is another premium section (labeled 201 to 205 - didn't see any other designation there).  Again, the view is terrific though the seats in the first row are a bit cramped. 

There is a much larger concession area in the middle of the field house on the side opposite the club seats that appears to take the space where the large President's suite had been in AJP. 

Meeting the people there was great.  Had a nice conversation with Coach Burt who is a gentleman and overall class guy.  The 2 trainers who were in that area of the fieldhouse did a great job explaining their role and showing off the 2 new training areas.  And the weight room is just amazing with the level of equipment there.

A few negatives - the seats that remain from AJP need a bit of sprucing up.  Some clean up or paint or something is needed there.  The seats themselves appear to be the same as those in the old facility but I could be mistaken about that.  I stopped at my old seats to take a look and they appeared to be the same.  They may have overdone the size of the fan corners as the seats are a bit close and the ones on the corners of each of the 4 areas may not provide the best view.  The large windows are fantastic but during the day would provide a lot of glare on the court and for people sitting opposite.  Of course, when fully lit that may disappear and I'm told they have a large "drape" that can close them. 

Despite all that, this is a great facility.  I'm interested in what others may have seen during their time touring.  And I'm looking forward to the first game (though with a schedule not complete my first game may not come until later November due to work and travel).

My wife and I got the tour too. We just moved back from the West Coast after 10 years away and signed up for our old seats. We found the improvements a plus.  The seating is upgraded in the areas behind the baskets big time. Our old seats are the same, but we liked them, so, win, lose, or tie, we are very impressed with the new area and being back in the Burgh. Best place on Earth. Go Dukes.

8/05/2021 10:13 pm  #17

I am a season ticket holder for four years. and I have not received one communication from the ticket office since Covid began. I received nothing about the opening of the Coop back in January and nothing about the recent tour and chance to pick your seats.  Zilch! Nada!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

8/06/2021 6:50 am  #18

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I am a season ticket holder for four years. and I have not received one communication from the ticket office since Covid began. I received nothing about the opening of the Coop back in January and nothing about the recent tour and chance to pick your seats.  Zilch! Nada!

Tejas, likewise

8/06/2021 8:54 am  #19

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Tejas, likewise

I really thought the Athletic Department had turned the corner and we were beyond this Mickey Mouse/Run on the Cheap/ "We've always done it this way" business as usual kind of stuff. Great strides have been made, true, but this still irritates me! Not one contact!

UPDATE:  I just heard from the ticket office and there was a small technical issue, which was the cause of the email problem!  All is well.  Still disappointed I missed the "Coop Tour" though.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (8/06/2021 1:52 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

8/07/2021 7:12 am  #20

Tejas_Duke wrote:

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Tejas, likewise

I really thought the Athletic Department had turned the corner and we were beyond this Mickey Mouse/Run on the Cheap/ "We've always done it this way" business as usual kind of stuff. Great strides have been made, true, but this still irritates me! Not one contact!

UPDATE:  I just heard from the ticket office and there was a small technical issue, which was the cause of the email problem!  All is well.  Still disappointed I missed the "Coop Tour" though.

Just to be clear, I did not have a chance there to pick a seat. In fact I was told my seat would be assigned. They did provide the opportunity to sign up for season tickets, however.  

8/07/2021 12:42 pm  #21

That’s correct Mulder; no seat selections were permitted because the deadline for season ticket renewals had not arrived; so it would not have been possible to allow seats to be reserved.

8/19/2021 10:14 am  #22

I got my seats today, section 202.   Had the choice of 3rd row there or 1st row in another section and went with 202 for the above mentioned leg room issue.    
And I'll be closer to the beer!   :-)

I would assume if you havent heard from the ticket office yet, and put a deposit on your seats, you will be soon.

8/22/2021 7:57 pm  #23

I was there this past weekend. Please forgive me, but I wasn't impressed. It's Palumbo with makeup. I ended up taking seats in the 100 level Same as what I had before.

8/23/2021 6:54 am  #24

1111 Vickroy wrote:

I was there this past weekend. Please forgive me, but I wasn't impressed. It's Palumbo with makeup. I ended up taking seats in the 100 level Same as what I had before.

True, it is on the same spot as the former Palumbo Center. The makeup that was applied is so spectacular that the place looks like, um, Palumbo Center ... with makeup. That's a good description. However, Vickroy, I am very impressed. Did you check out all the amenities? Did you see the weight facilities? Did you stand in front of the place and admire the structure? It's incredible what Duquesne has done with that place. I'm not sure how you couldn't be impressed, but everybody has their own opinion. If you're looking for a Big Ten or ACC facility, well, good luck finding it on Forbes Avenue. I just feel like if you're not impressed with what they did with ol' Palumbo, maybe you just didn't really take a good look around. I prefer to be objective. The place looks great compared to before. It's not even a contest.

8/23/2021 7:58 am  #25

Vickroy...I understand your perspective...  Especially because they used most of the same seats.  But I am looking at it more as plastic surgery; a facelift...instead of just makeup!  A good portion of what was done was behind the scenes for the players and students.  Hopefully it will help recruiting.  When you use the same footprint for a building, there is only so much you can do inside of the building, especially when a basketball court is a basketball court.   Go Dukes.

Board footera