Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/04/2021 8:13 am  #1

“Buy” Game Money Investment - HIGHMARK GAMES

Duquesne MUST get creative with the use of the buy game cash it’s going to get from TCU, Florida State, WVU, etc.  Use just part it to rent Highmark Stadium for some of their home games.  I guarantee a bigger crowd and may even attract a team like Youngstown State to play here.   

How can we travel to TCU and play all our games at a field smaller than the high school stadiums these kids played at???

Rooney is shamefully the smallest stadium in all of the over 300 Division I football stadiums by far. The team and the fans DESERVE at least a couple games at a real D-I field!!  Better playing fields attract better recruits.

They may even attract enough fans to MAKE more money there.  The students will be more likely to make the trip there-  just run a shuttle and make it a real event.

If you build it they will come.

Last edited by coffee (9/04/2021 8:22 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

9/06/2021 2:30 pm  #2

Re: “Buy” Game Money Investment - HIGHMARK GAMES

I'm in one of two boats when it comes to Duquesne football.  They either need to go all in i.e. give 63 scholarships, move to Highmark/upgrade Rooney big time and try for the colonial.  OR....

Go the way of Dayton and remove Schollies altogether.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

9/06/2021 3:13 pm  #3

I understand your point Simms  good one...but I hope we don't take a step back to Pioneer level and agree with Colonial.  Actually an A10 football conference is also something that I don't think is too far fetched and remember we beat Towson in the playoffs from the Colonial just couple years ago. We need more schollies and football will bring  revenue 
benefiting all of our athletic programs

9/07/2021 12:50 pm  #4

It would be nice to see the program find a suitable venue that would allow for upgrades to the program; but I don’t see it becoming a money-making proposition.  Pitt can’t draw flies unless they play Notre Dame, WVU, or Penn State; so what would make Duquesne football a “draw” even if it upgraded to a higher level of competition.  Would Highmark even fit that profile from a capacity standpoint?  It seats 3500 for soccer with another 500 standing room only tickets available.

9/07/2021 5:36 pm  #5

levon1975 wrote:

It would be nice to see the program find a suitable venue that would allow for upgrades to the program; but I don’t see it becoming a money-making proposition.  Pitt can’t draw flies unless they play Notre Dame, WVU, or Penn State; so what would make Duquesne football a “draw” even if it upgraded to a higher level of competition.  Would Highmark even fit that profile from a capacity standpoint?  It seats 3500 for soccer with another 500 standing room only tickets available.

They added new seats last year to increase to 5,000.  This more than doubles Roony and they have actual locker rooms and real concession  stands. 

The view of town is amazing.

I’ll never forget Marshall soccer players laughing at Rooney.

Last edited by coffee (9/07/2021 5:38 pm)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

9/07/2021 6:13 pm  #6

Levon1975 thanks for posting and I
don't  believe that Duquesne football will become a bigger draw than Pitt who has trouble as you accurately point out.  I just wanted to point out the revenue generator that 1 game with an FBS school is.  Non of athletic programs are money makers but one football game with an FBS school brings in more revenue than anything else and our AD and administration understands that. Pretty sure an NCAA hoops appearance would bring in an extra 250,000 and a win approximately 500,000(×2) from what I saw online. My overall point is that athletics at Duquesne overall benefits and I am just advocating more schollies for Coach Schmitt and you will really see the program flourish IMHO.  Appreciate all your posts guys on football thanks!

9/09/2021 9:42 am  #7

Judge,
No doubt that the "buy game" money is a significant source of revenue for Athletics, and with multiple "buy games" on future schedules they can plan for that added revenue.  My comments weren't critical of the "buy games" as a source of revenue, but, related to whether football has room to grow beyond its present position, and the limitations for growth based on the lack of a venue.  Highmark Stadium would be a logical option except for the ties to  UPMC; how would that impact a relationship with a facility named for Highmark? Personally, I'd much rather see Duquesne aligned with Highmark than UPMC, especially with the new Osteopathic Medicine School on the horizon; but at this point that seems doubtful. 

9/09/2021 10:08 am  #8

Wondering if anyone here knows if there has ever been consideration of an athletic campus outside of town. It's a model I've encountered at a number of schools that are landlocked where space is identified away from the main campus for various fields and courts and built up over time. For Duquesne, it would make sense to leave basketball and volleyball in town at the new place but soccer, tennis, lacrosse and eventually football could have a small complex elsewhere. Naturally, there are some logistics in dealing with transport but other schools figure this out. 

9/09/2021 1:23 pm  #9

Good points both and I hear you levon!! Sometimes I am defensive about the football program and certainly not unbiased! Haha I appreciate your posts and point

9/11/2021 7:37 am  #10

levon1975 wrote:

Judge,
No doubt that the "buy game" money is a significant source of revenue for Athletics, and with multiple "buy games" on future schedules they can plan for that added revenue.  My comments weren't critical of the "buy games" as a source of revenue, but, related to whether football has room to grow beyond its present position, and the limitations for growth based on the lack of a venue.  Highmark Stadium would be a logical option except for the ties to  UPMC; how would that impact a relationship with a facility named for Highmark? Personally, I'd much rather see Duquesne aligned with Highmark than UPMC, especially with the new Osteopathic Medicine School on the horizon; but at this point that seems doubtful. 

That may be the reason… I’m so tired of the cut throat competition between Highmark and UPMC.  I saw a briefing about the new medical school and it seems that it will not place interns at Highmark but everywhere else.  This is UNHEALTHY for Pittsburgh

Last edited by coffee (9/11/2021 7:39 am)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

Board footera