Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2021 8:54 am  #1

Bored on the Board

I don't know about you guys but I am DU basketball bored.  I know it is only September and still roughly 50 days until the start of the season but there is zero coming out of DU about this team.  In contrast PSN will do daily stories about what the Pitt players had each day for breakfast.  I do understand the dynamics of PSN and not blaming them, however, there is so much more that DU could do.  For example, the PSN reporter visits DU practice and what we get is this tidbit.

George Michalowski on Twitter: "Checking in from Duquesne practice. Dambrot starting practice with a strong message about winning. “You better make your team win at all costs. If Murray State doesn’t win, Morant isn’t a first round pick. You’ve got to be self motivated to make the team win.” https://t.co/3OtSwhBRqN" / Twitter

Why not take the opportunity to tell us, for example, if Andy Barba is cleared for practice or how Dambrot feels about the progress of this team. Maybe George is working on a full article, I hope so.

I didn't mean this to turn into a rant,  I just think DU could do so much more.  What do you guys think?

9/21/2021 9:25 am  #2

Re: Bored on the Board

CLK wrote:

I don't know about you guys but I am DU basketball bored.  I know it is only September and still roughly 50 days until the start of the season but there is zero coming out of DU about this team.  In contrast PSN will do daily stories about what the Pitt players had each day for breakfast.  I do understand the dynamics of PSN and not blaming them, however, there is so much more that DU could do.  For example, the PSN reporter visits DU practice and what we get is this tidbit.

George Michalowski on Twitter: "Checking in from Duquesne practice. Dambrot starting practice with a strong message about winning. “You better make your team win at all costs. If Murray State doesn’t win, Morant isn’t a first round pick. You’ve got to be self motivated to make the team win.” https://t.co/3OtSwhBRqN" / Twitter

Why not take the opportunity to tell us, for example, if Andy Barba is cleared for practice or how Dambrot feels about the progress of this team. Maybe George is working on a full article, I hope so.

I didn't mean this to turn into a rant,  I just think DU could do so much more.  What do you guys think?

Agree CLK.  They used to say that once the Dukes start winning we'll get the coverage.  I know the Dukes haven't been "winning" by some standards but the program has moved in the right direction these last 4 years and deserve more than this.  Frustrating.  

I know it's not much but I did ask Andy about his readiness when I toured the Coop and he said he feels good and just has to get back to playing basketball now.  He referenced his 11 (maybe it was 19) months of not being on the court.  He was non committal when i asked if we'd see him out there this season.  

Last edited by Styles1229 (9/21/2021 9:25 am)

9/21/2021 9:25 am  #3

The information,stories about this  Duquesne team is pathetic.Dukes going to open this building up and no
word on tickets available for out of towners.Very unhappy with lack of  stories about this new team.Very unhappy there is no hall of fame area in the Fieldhouse. No images or history from the past.Ridiculous.

9/21/2021 9:28 am  #4

I dont think DU knows what to do.   Their media and PR is lost in the woods.

9/21/2021 9:37 am  #5

So dissappointed in Duquesne  to tell the story of Chuck Cooper.There is a historical marker outside the building but you go in building and no stories or pictures of Cooper.Wake the hell up Duquesne.Duquesne
has an amazing history and so many great players.No mention of any great stories about former Dukes.
Harper comes from. Dayton and their building has alot of images of Daytons past teams and players.

9/21/2021 9:44 am  #6

I am filled with passion for the teams I follow and I treasure the great players and not so great player
who played for Duquesne.Why no hall of fame area?

9/21/2021 9:45 am  #7

I am filled with passion for the teams I follow and I treasure the great players and not so great player
who played for Duquesne.Why no hall of fame area?

9/21/2021 9:47 am  #8

Fire the sports inormation director.He sucks

9/21/2021 10:01 am  #9

Duquesne is a national power in football late 30s early 40s.Duquesne is a national power in basketball for many years.The Nelson twins,Norm Nixon,Korie Hlede,Paul Birch,Sihugo,the Ricketts brothers,Red Manning,Chick Davies,Dudey Moore,Leigh Bodden,Mike Rice,as just a few of the greats who played here.
The man you name the building for.No displays or stories about Chuck Cooper,and the character and troubles he faced in racist America in that era.Chuck was special and nothing.Disgusting and ignoring
Coopers story just terrible .Wake the hell up.

9/21/2021 10:13 am  #10

Tell the story of Chuck Cooper.He is remembered by the Basketball Hall of Fame.If i am Chucks son I am raising hell with Duquesne by ignoring his story.Its almost a racist attitude  by Duquesne to ignore Chuck.

9/21/2021 10:33 am  #11

Practice starts Oct .14.

9/21/2021 10:33 am  #12

Mike Barr,Mickey Davis,Jerrett Durham,Ron Guziak,Ned Twyman, Rick Suder, Tom Pipkins,the 55 NIT team,
Fletcher Johnson,Jim Tucker,Willie Somerset, Herb Bonn,the IRON DUKES,Orange Bowl champions,
Mike James,Aaron Jackson,Clyde Arnold,Boyd Brumbaugh,Mike Basrak,Al DeMeo,Greg Gattuso,Beth Friday,Jerry Schmitt,DOC SKENDER,Clipper Smith,Budd Donelli,Elmer Layden
NO STORIES BEING TOLD MY DUQUESNE

9/21/2021 10:49 am  #13

Stew I love your passion man, but the Chuck Cooper story is one the University had promoted well in my opinion.  

MikeR, I understand that practice doesn't start until October 14, but ticket sales have started.  I just think there are things that the University can be doing better in promoting interest in not only the basketball team, but football as well.    For example, the "Getting To Know" videos could have been so much better.  I love Gormley and Harper, and excited with what they are doing, but they have set the bar high for the future but from what I am seeing it is the "same old Duquesne" from those around them.  

9/21/2021 11:39 am  #14

PSN had an article on practice today and said that feature articles will be on a regular basis starting today

9/21/2021 12:02 pm  #15

kcc173 wrote:

PSN had an article on practice today and said that feature articles will be on a regular basis starting today

And here is the PSN.  I jumped the gun again. I am going to go with temporary insanity. Good article

Inside the Dukes: News and Notes from Inside Duquesne Basketball Practice | Pittsburgh Sports Now

9/21/2021 12:29 pm  #16

Well that was a breath of fresh air.   Can’t wait to see this team; hope springs eternal….or is it infernal.  On another note, what and who is doing something to fire up the students?  Now is the time.  I hope the BB team is supporting the deserving football team.   And I am a firm believer in the student section being across from the benches - as it was at the arena.  The rest for tickets.  Find footage of Mossie, play it on the screens.  If no footage, make your own.  I work in Hollywierd and know these things can be done.  Now!

9/21/2021 1:24 pm  #17

I love Dave Harper and the class that he has brought to the Athletics Department. He is an A+ AD. However, it is time to kick the Sports Information guys and girls into gear. The Twitter for each basketball team should have daily updates. Small pieces of information and trivia are gold for fans and making people interested. Tweets don’t take a lot of hard work. To be public, you have to make the scene. The Twitterverse is real - let’s get the Sports Info moving on this. It is part of the reason PSN has become successful!

9/21/2021 3:21 pm  #18

stew wrote:

Tell the story of Chuck Cooper.He is remembered by the Basketball Hall of Fame.If i am Chucks son I am raising hell with Duquesne by ignoring his story.Its almost a racist attitude  by Duquesne to ignore Chuck.

Let's not go overboard here - they did name the building after him and there is hardly a dearth of moments of remembering him and his story by the team.  Halftime ceremonies, and such.  I'm all for celebrating the guy more but he's hardly ignored by Duquesne.

9/21/2021 4:08 pm  #19

Sometimes as Duquesne loyal fans maybe we should look into a mirror. Contributions, travels to road games, support fundraising events? Again this President & AD have done in my opinion great things in their short timeframe. Yes I agree with the criticism to whip the horse to get the Athletic Department employees to get off their behinds. My past experience with the staff under the Quinipiac Clown was that they worked 2 hours & worked out in the gym 6.

9/21/2021 4:23 pm  #20

CLK wrote:

kcc173 wrote:

And here is the PSN.  I jumped the gun again. I am going to go with temporary insanity. Good article

Inside the Dukes: News and Notes from Inside Duquesne Basketball Practice | Pittsburgh Sports Now

A lot to feel good about in the article except for the boot

9/21/2021 8:10 pm  #21

CLK wrote:

kcc173 wrote:

Marketing & publicity are huge shortcomings for the athletic department & always have been. Given the commendable work done to deliver the "new" arena, it is laughable that the social media footprint, local/regional coverage, team gear, etc... remains far behind the times & the A-10 competition. I can't believe Harper allows this. 

CLK's initial post was not jumping the gun. It was spot-on.

The RJ Gunn part of the article was most interesting to me. If any program deserves to have an under-the-radar one-year wonder, it's this one. 

9/21/2021 8:20 pm  #22

phil95- Yes: Sports Information, Marketing, PR HAS ALWAYS BEEN WEAK.  I wonder if it will change this year...but I have been wondering that for the last 10 years.
Go Dukes!

9/22/2021 8:13 am  #23

9/24/2021 2:05 pm  #24

Pretty cool event for the Coop! Looks like it was long in coming due to COVID delays. Nice remarks about the facility, the prez, and the university from some rather notable people.
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2021/09/24/an-evening-with-the-star-duquesne-upmc-cooper-fieldhouse-norm-nixon-debbie-allen-constanza-romero/stories/202109250012

Last edited by z duke (9/24/2021 2:25 pm)

9/24/2021 4:36 pm  #25

CLK and Ironduke81 good points! I think there was decent coverage on the upset at Athens and Channel 4 sports rated it biggest win of the week! I honestly don't know if our PR people deserve credit or not but generally agree with the points that the media can do better and we as alumni can help too by supporting everything duquesne!

Board footera