Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2021 8:07 pm  #1

Men & Women Meet & Greet Scrimmage

10/21/2021 2:04 pm  #2

Re: Men & Women Meet & Greet Scrimmage

Taking place this evening - just a reminder.

10/21/2021 9:06 pm  #3

From PSN. Played one 10 minute quarter. Johnson made three 3's and Easley made multiple 3's. Gunn was in a boot. There was a lot of dunking and 3 point shooting.

10/21/2021 9:23 pm  #4

WashPaRick wrote:

From PSN. Played one 10 minute quarter. Johnson made three 3's and Easley made multiple 3's. Gunn was in a boot. There was a lot of dunking and 3 point shooting.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2021/10/21/news-and-notes-from-duquesnes-season-opening-scrimmage/

10/21/2021 10:44 pm  #5

Can anyone report on Hima's role tonight?

10/22/2021 7:40 am  #6

As stated above it was an exhibition of alley-oops, dunks, and some incredibly long-range 3-point shooting especially by Johnson, Spears, Ayers and Easley.  I will assure you that these guys have almost unlimited range and their shots are repeatable and in good form.  Even Williams stepped out for some 3's so despite the fact that there was literally no defense being played; at least we can conclude that these guys can shoot the ball from anywhere beyond half-court.  
A few other observations:
Hima started the scrimmage and played the first half off the minutes.  The guy is athletic enough, and can get up and down the court well. I've seen much worse in terms of prospective bigs come through the program in the last 30-years!   IDK what's holding him back, since I have no inside information and haven't seen an actual practice, but just my observation that maybe he needs to work harder at getting better, stronger, and just learn what he needs to do to be effective at this level. It's a huge jump in terms of developing instincts needed to play at this level. I understand he is an excellent student, so no worries in that area.  

Easley is bigger and stronger-looking than I expected, and more mobile than Marcus Weathers, hopefully a better defender as well.  He has a jumper from distance, and should be able to contribute along the baseline and beyond. 

Okani is really long; is he still growing?  Probably catching up to his body in terms of height, but he if he continues to work, can be a very good.  I think his length will be a problem for teams on defense, with his quick jumping ability to disrupt passing lanes.  Looks like a dangerous guy in the open-court right now, but no idea on his ability to contribute offensively in a half-court set. He seems to have a great attitude and like the others was just having some fun out there last night. 

The two freshman guards should be interesting to see in live game action.  They look the part; but again, this was just a "fun run".  It remains to be seen how they handle D-1 level ball pressure and whether they can defend and stay in front of speedy guards.  At his point, the jury is still out; but I didn't see any warning signs.

I see Acuff as making a big jump this season.  He appears to be a leader on the team and poised and confident going into the season.

Ayers III more of a wiry guy, can also shoot from distance, and should fit in well as a swingman.  

Gunn in a walking boot, still came off the bench one-time for a long three; just for fun.  That was the kind of evening it was, just fun.  He is another big body; and hopefully can provide some depth when Williams needs a rest, or has fouls.  Still unknown.

Williams was as expected, a big man with some athletic ability to move and run the court.  Since no defense played it was hard to draw any conclusions

That's my take! 

10/22/2021 8:36 am  #7

Good take and thanks Levon1975 ! Easley might be most intriguing but it would be so nice to have some good shooting especially with the general emphasis on the 3 in today's game! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (10/22/2021 8:37 am)

10/22/2021 8:40 am  #8

Thanks Levon!  You saved me a lot of time writing as your impressions were very similar to mine.  Especially the part about Acuff being a/the leader.  Didn't it seem that way?  The other guys were deferring to him on the court as for what to do in what you aptly described as a "fun run."  When he had the ball the rest of the guys just seemed to light up with smiles and all eyes were on him more so than when the others had the ball.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it though.  Acuff certainly seemed mature and confident.

The shooting was fun to watch.  With no defense being played it's to draw any conclusions other than these guys can knock down open shots.  

Barba didn't seem eager to show off during the run but i was impressed in pre game warm ups when he showed some serious "ups" at the rim.  He's got that spring guys sometimes have that could mean he could be a nice rebounder/defender.  

I overheard 2 coaches talking about Tre Williams with somebody and they are really impressed with him.  They are confident he can handle his business in this league at that position and they think everyone is going to be surprised at how well he performs.

Hima was out there!  All smiles too.  He didn't handle the ball so well but he moved more gracefully than some other "raw" bigs i have seen.  It scares me to think what he would look like under the rim against Osunniyi at this point in his career but we can't worry about that.  Good to see him in the mix.

Did anyone else see Jackie Johnson as Derrick Colter 2.0?  Very similar look and style.  He did not look like a freshman and his shot was money.  

Overall - very pleased with what I saw.  Unable to draw any serious conclusions because of the lack of defense though.  We look small but we knew that.  But the game is certainly changing and having tall players doesn't mean as much as it used to,  Can't wait for 11/9

10/22/2021 8:54 am  #9

To be fair, Osunniyi should dominate everyone he plays against.   Seems like it was 10 years ago he had that huge rebound game at Palumbo.   It would be awesome if one day we had a senior-lead Dukes team like SBU has.   
I like what I have read from you guys, but doesnt sound like we should really put much into it based on the atmosphere last night.   Sounds like it was just a night to have some fun.    Saw some post game pressers, guys seem excited, ready to go.   Looking forward to it.
Did anyone check out the new concessions?   Is it upgraded big time?   I mean, it was awful, so gotta assume its a lot better.
Also, anyone get their season tickets yet?   We're about 2 weeks from tip-off.   
See yinz on Nov 9.

10/22/2021 9:15 am  #10

townsonkid wrote:

To be fair, Osunniyi should dominate everyone he plays against.   Seems like it was 10 years ago he had that huge rebound game at Palumbo.   It would be awesome if one day we had a senior-lead Dukes team like SBU has.   
I like what I have read from you guys, but doesnt sound like we should really put much into it based on the atmosphere last night.   Sounds like it was just a night to have some fun.    Saw some post game pressers, guys seem excited, ready to go.   Looking forward to it.
Did anyone check out the new concessions?   Is it upgraded big time?   I mean, it was awful, so gotta assume its a lot better.
Also, anyone get their season tickets yet?   We're about 2 weeks from tip-off.   
See yinz on Nov 9.

Concessions options were minimal but that may change when the season starts.  There was a chicken sandwich which was new.  Similar selections otherwise but the infrastructure was very improved with high tables and chairs a plenty to sit and eat.  Helltown beer available for $7 a pint.  I have my season tickets  all mobile tickets this year.  No option for the physical ticket I'm told.  Signage asked everybody to be masked and there were complimentary masks at the door but many people not wearing one and no effort that i saw to enforce the rule.  

10/22/2021 9:29 am  #11

Ugh, I hate mobile tickets.   I take a number of people to games over a season, easier to just hand them a ticket IMO.   I guess I better see where mine are.   I never realized they were going to be mobile tickets.    Thanks for that info.

10/22/2021 10:08 am  #12

Nice to hear they can were hitting the open shot. Always a decent amount of open looks during a game.

10/22/2021 12:11 pm  #13

Regarding the comments about tickets above, here is what I received from the ticket office earlier in the week as a response to an inquiry.

We are going mobile this year with our tickets, similar to if you’ve been to a game for one of the major pro teams in the city over the last few years. We will email the tickets out closer to the season along with a tutorial video and step by step process on how to access your tickets and transfer them to family & friends. We can also offer print at home tickets if you prefer that. You can purchase walk up tickets at the box office on the day of the game.

10/22/2021 4:19 pm  #14

10/22/2021 8:54 pm  #15

Thanks for all of your posts on last night's event. That is a true service to us out-of-towners.

Now, who has the goods on today's secret scrimmage!  

10/23/2021 11:28 am  #16

Love the group shot of the team as they were awaiting the introduction of Hima. They seem to be a tight knit group.

Board footera