Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2021 10:01 am  #26

Re: Game Thread - Hofstra Pride

Great point, Simms.  There is no sugarcoating the facts of how bad we shot plus a few other things but if this was bad, how about Dayton losing to Lowell and VCU run out of their gym by Wagner?  Hofstra is noticeably better than those winners from last night.  That is not to defend us - just elaborating on the point Simms made.  Past performance of these transfers - and even freshmen- indicate last night’s 3 for 24 SHOULD be an aberration.  Let’s hope and let’s stay on this wagon.  Weber State is another tough one.  And the conference as a whole has to step up against lower mid majors or we will be o one bid league!

11/14/2021 10:02 am  #27

Simms wrote:

Hopefully this loss isn't as bad once Hofstra keeps playing.  They seem like a pretty good team, and Cook is definitely a stud.  It's interesting seeing some of the crazy results in College Hoops currently.  With the transfer rules causing teams to be made up of new lineups, it's a bit of a crap shoot everywhere.

I think Hofstra is going to have a good season.  They guarded our perimeter well enough to make the Duke's 3 point shots as bad as they were.  But starting the second half, Dambroth pressured their inbound and either Hofstra can't handle that pressure, or the Dukes may very well be a good pressing team, but after coming close in the score, the Dukes seemed to go away from that pressure.  Still the comeback looks encouraging. Hofstra's shooting guard shot the light out all night and carried that team.  

11/14/2021 10:06 am  #28

I think Hofstra will prove to be a pretty good team. That not withstanding, we could have won fairly easily if we played stronger D in the first half and shot anything from 3 for the game. That's one I wish we got to play over again. A learning experience though I'd rather learn from a win than from a loss. Don't despair. We have the makings of a top 6 A-10 team. Great to see Rotroff back. Let's get R.G. in there and see what we have moving forward.

11/14/2021 10:56 am  #29

Simms wrote:

Hopefully this loss isnt as bad once Hofstra keeps playing.  They seem like a pretty good team, and Cook is definitely a stud.  It's interesting seeing some of the crazy results in College Hoops currently.  With the transfer rules causing teams to be made up of new lineups, it's a bit of a crap shoot everywhere.

Hard to win a crap shoot when you shoot like crap.

11/14/2021 1:51 pm  #30

Not surprised the Dukes lost this one, Hofstra's a perennially strong team in a decent conference that typically recruits the NYC area well. In this case, they got their best player from NJIT. Dukes couldn't stop him then either. And yes, losing at home to Hofstra is not nearly as bad as losing at home to UMass-Lowell or Wagner. That said, as WashPaRick pointed out, just shoot 33% from 3-point range and this is probably a win. They had plenty of open looks on the kick-outs. Hoping it's an aberration as well as like CLK, I thought we had a pretty good shooting team this year. On the plus side, Rotroff looked pretty good in limited minutes last night. That's gotta be a good sign long term.

11/14/2021 4:36 pm  #31

DennisC91 wrote:

Not surprised the Dukes lost this one, Hofstra's a perennially strong team in a decent conference that typically recruits the NYC area well. In this case, they got their best player from NJIT. Dukes couldn't stop him then either. And yes, losing at home to Hofstra is not nearly as bad as losing at home to UMass-Lowell or Wagner. That said, as WashPaRick pointed out, just shoot 33% from 3-point range and this is probably a win. They had plenty of open looks on the kick-outs. Hoping it's an aberration as well as like CLK, I thought we had a pretty good shooting team this year. On the plus side, Rotroff looked pretty good in limited minutes last night. That's gotta be a good sign long term.

Yes, Rotroff looked good in limited time, Spears looks like a candidate for A10 ROY and I'm really liking Easley.  We know the shooting will come, rebounding and interior defense seem like bigger questions.

11/14/2021 9:22 pm  #32

Tre Williams has to play with more confidence and an ‘edge,’ – and he needs that for the full game.  Granted this is only his second game with this group – against a more talented team – and with Rotroff (and eventually Gunn) out there alternating time, maybe he’s not as gassed & they become more competitive against capable teams like Hofstra.  With the entire team missing so many trays, everyone pressures harder and confidence wanes – without a ‘go-to’ like we’ve had in the past.   Here’s hoping Ayers, Johnson, Acuff and Okani will start to consistently hit from inside and outside.  They all need a comfort zone with each other—and that's gonna take some time.     

Board footera