Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2021 8:19 am  #26

Re: Game Thread - Colorado Buffaloes

The coaches change but blowing games in the final seconds never changes.

11/21/2021 9:23 am  #27

Discouraging yes, buts it's not how you start. Maybe they gel into a tough out. One truly encouraging thing was Tre Williams. He was a monster defensively.

11/21/2021 10:41 am  #28

Good point Tejas!  Let me also add that inexperienced players get better by getting live game action, so why not give some of Rotroff's minutes to Hima.  Hima has much more upside, is significantly more athletic and may possibly make A FOUL SHOT - Rotroff is 0-season!!! Seriously though, all the other young guys are playing so at least give HIMA 4 or 5 minuttes a game.  What the hell do we have to lose, we are already 1-4!!!

11/21/2021 11:14 am  #29

I'm somewhat buffaloed (no pun intended) by Rotroff's inability at the charity stripe. I know he's better than that. Not a world beater but I've always liked and appreciated his hustle and overall effort. Think he has a mental block holding him back in some areas of his game. I still remember his 17 points against William and Mary in his very first game as a Duke. I'm as frustrated as anyone on this board at our weak start. There are 2 things that we can do. Throw up our hands and walk away for the season or continue to support our team. You know what i'll be doing. GO DUKES!

Last edited by El Presidente (11/21/2021 11:14 am)

11/21/2021 11:33 am  #30

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Double digit second half leads blown in 2 out of 4 games. Anyone else having Jim Ferry flashbacks?

Actually, no, I'm not. Not at all. There is no comparison between the two men. Ferry was out of his league in the A10 and apparently he's out of his league in the America East. UMBC lost to powerful Longwood by 27 yesterday. His team's two wins are over a Penn State campus school (York) not affiliated with NCAA or NAIA and over a very bad Western Carolina team. I'm with you, El Presidente: Saw a lot of good things vs. Colorado. The Dukes, with their very young (playing together and some freshmen, too) lineup showed me a lot with their response after playing so poorly and so disjointed against Northeastern. Easley and Williams are the real deal. Spears and Johnson will be tough to beat when they get it going together. I thought Duquesne played a heckuva game yesterday vs. that Power 5 conference school, even though they aren't very good as a Pac-12 team. That was a bad sequence at the end of regulation, for sure. Nobody knows what was said in the huddle, do we? Does anyone know if the plan was to guard the perimeter and not gang up on one particular player? Don't think so. Maybe someone here has some inside knowledge on that. None of us were there. So why does everyone assume the coaches didn't know that? Veteran coaches, no less. Perhaps it's us who are clueless. The Dukes were the better team in that game, as I'm sure most will agree. Just wish folks here would be objective instead of impulsively railing against every single thing that goes wrong. The "I'm done" comments on this board crack me up. If you're done, then go. See ya! Don't return and keep commenting. You're done, right? Oh and ahem, GO DUKES!

11/21/2021 11:41 am  #31

Also, I agree with those who stated that the thing to do was foul there at the end. I could never be a coach because I don't understand the finer points of the game enough. But to not foul there with a 3point lead seems like the wrong thing to do. If that wasn't made clear by the coaching staff, then yes, that's on them. Should have been a win for sure.

11/21/2021 12:33 pm  #32

Crosseye, I hear you, but there have been some coaching blunders for sure as pointed out by Wildwood.  Again, look back at the Hofstra game.  That guard torched us when he was at NJIT and he did it again in the first half so why wait until halftime to throw Bekelja on him?  He had 20 frighin points in the first half and he was a known commodity/shooter.  How about doing something about it 10 minutes into the game so you don't end up down 18 at the half?????   I see 2 wins slip through our fingers that were avoidable.  I think this is an objective observation.  I too like the young talent we have, but as someone else noted I think we needed to add more size with one more player from the portal.  Austin R is a good kid and team player, but what are we really getting out of him (See my point about HIma above).?  I watched the 2 bigs for RI when they beat BC and then you look at Ayshami (name/spelling) at the Bonnies and we just don't have the length to compete with these better teams inside.  Again, I love some of the young guys, especially JJ and Primo, if they continue to get better then KD needs to be able to keep them on our roster - time will tell. 

11/21/2021 6:41 pm  #33

The Northeastern game looked more like the Duquesne of old to me. How many times did Porter or Née or Ferry have a power 5 team on the ropes? Never being in the game against a middle of the road minor conference team? They all did that plenty of times.

Now I am disappointed in the coaching staff because we were the better team last night and should have won. I’m generally not a fan of fouling up 3 because I’ve seen it go awry too often. Especially with a young team that had been playing good defense (especially on the perimeter) I’d normally say don’t foul.

The extenuating circumstance was their foul situation. They had three fouls to give. So fouling early (well before they are anywhere near shooting) wouldn’t be bad. They pretty much would have been forced to miss the second intentionally because they would have to foul us three times to send us to the line. Given that I think it was a no brainer to foul them. I wasn’t surprised to hear the announcers miss that because they were awful (and as a former broadcaster myself I usually give them a lot of leeway), but this board has a higher basketball IQ than most. So I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet.

Having said all that I take optimism away from the game. Colorado isn’t what they were last year when they were a top 50 team, but they are still a power 5 opponent and not a bad one either. If you had told me before the tournament we’d take Colorado to overtime I’d have been thrilled. I understand the frustration with the way it played out, but we were the better team against what will likely turn out to be one of the better teams we face this year. The team is very raw, but there are very impressive flashes of talent. I also understand the questioning of if Danbrot has mailed it in. This hasn’t looked like one of his teams and COVID had to have hit him hard. I choose to remain optimistic on that too and hope he’ll end up dedicating a successful season to his deceased dad in a few months.

Board footera