Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/23/2021 8:21 am  #26

Re: Game Thread - Bradley Braves

So a sagging 1-4 team started the game down 10-0 to a lame Bradley team and the coach used swear words at his players?  

Weather looks decent today, sunny, and tomorrow is even nicer.

11/23/2021 9:13 am  #27

Sometimes better to think it but not type it; or type it then discard before posting.  Get your frustrations out, then delete rather than post.  It does work; I do it all the time, especially at work!  
 Losing 4-straight then going down 10-0 to Bradley calls for extreme measures rather than reasoning.  I can understand the tirade!  Typically this would happen at halftime; but this couldn't wait until the game was lost.  

11/23/2021 9:14 am  #28

CLK wrote:

Oh brother! 

Sat behind Duke bench. Saint Mike K every other word F…F….F….Maybe he was speaking Chicago Polish. My point is that Coach K is revered in the basketball world. Oh my vulgar….Really?  Looks like a total agenda by certain posters. Yeah if Dambrot is gone after his contract expires I would hope that there are rational reasons such as not winning. Good luck finding a replacement that never uses at times inappropriate language. The only coach I witnessed who never swore was Tony Shaver at W&M. Unfortunately, the newly appointed liberal women AD fired Tony a devout Christian who played for Dean  Smith. The good news she was fired one year latter due to her total incompetence. Snow Flake City on the Bluff this winter. This board is becoming very bizarre. Oh brother indeed & yes Go Dukes

11/23/2021 10:02 am  #29

I'm reminded of the time when I was in junior high school and a teammate threw 3 consecutive inbounds passes to the same player on the other team resulting in a layup for the opposition each time.  After the third one our coach yelled, "If you throw the ball away one more time I'm going to shove a red hot poker up your ass!!!!"  I remember biting my lip trying to keep a straight face so I wasn't the next to be yelled at for laughing.  We still laugh about this at our high school reunions.

11/23/2021 10:13 am  #30

All I'll say on this subject is - Thanks Phil for reporting good information from outside the team huddle.  I'm always looking for any bit of information about this team and hearing first hand what is being said in the huddle is very cool to know.  

Yes, most coaches swear but let's not pretend CALLING a player "xxxxxx" or "mother xxxxx" is akin to typical coach speak.  Those who think so have probably never been coached or were coached in the '50s and '60s.  Saying the F word and cursing is something completely different.  Whether it bothers YOU or not is not the point.  One thing is for sure, KD rubs a lot of players the wrong way evidenced by the mass exodus of players since his arrival.  This just might be another reason why or something to consider - good fodder for the board.  I'll say this -  I'd have no problem with a coach yelling and swearing in the a huddle that my child/young adult was in.  But if I heard him call that child/young adult a xxxxxxx I'd punch him in the mouth.  

Last edited by CLK (11/23/2021 11:23 am)

11/23/2021 10:23 am  #31

I'm super pumped about the last 2 games.  Bad last second defense in the Colorado game aside, this team is starting to resemble the one we thought we'd have.  Nice to see shots falling and Tre looking like the inside presence he was advertised as.  Depth inside will be an issue if Gunn can't get right or be effective (we've still never really seen if he has the goods or not.)  I imagine Larson will continue to have to see minutes as long as Gunn is out and Rotroff /Hima continue to be non factors.  I will give credit where due - Larson had a big rebound late in the Bradley game and his deficiencies were not quite as evident.  But it WAS Bradley.

Looking forward to Sunday back at the Coop and keeping this thing rolling.

Last edited by Styles1229 (11/23/2021 11:17 am)

11/23/2021 11:02 am  #32

I was encouraged by the effort and display of talent yesterday.  I really won't get into the Coach cussing at his players, I wasn't there, but it wouldn't surprise me.   Bottom line for me is did we win or lose.  Honestly at thsi point we should be 3-3 at worse - probably 4-2, but as Tomlin says "you are what your record says you are".  Again I am encouraged with a lot of what I saw from all the new guys and I hope we can continue down that road.  That being said, I still think that Hima should be getting some of the Rotroff minutes.  As I noted before Hima is more athletic by far and has a much bigger upside.  He won't start to get better without any live game action.  Our leads have evaporated a number of times that Rotroff went in for Williams so I don't think that Hima would do much worse.  I know KD says he is not ready yet, but getting some game experience would accelerate the learning curve.  Pistol out.

11/23/2021 11:17 am  #33

WashPaRick wrote:

You would think the parents in the stands would have something to say about that.

They did & at length.

A big part of the point I am making is that the place was extremely quite for a live sports event. As the coach,you have to be aware of that.

And no, I have never heard a Division 1 coach scream in a players face calling him a xxxxxxx in public for all to hear. I am also willing to wager that nobody else here has either.

Last edited by CLK (11/23/2021 11:34 am)

11/23/2021 11:28 am  #34

Listen closely, I am asking people to stop.  Putting symbols for every other letter does not erase the meaning for those words.  If it is not ok for a coach to say them in public, it is not ok to use them in this public forum.  I am tired of editing. 

11/23/2021 11:31 am  #35

When I was a kid, terms like "s*ck" (modified for the sensitive but full word seen on this board before--especially after a loss) and the F-word were considered clearly vulgar and my parents did not allow the latter to be said in the home. Furthermore, I tell my kids that profanity is often a reflection of a deficient vocabulary as a way to discourage them from using it. However I myself have used profanity to make a point when more civilized measures have failed. I find it ironic that some say Coach Dambrot is behind the times. It seems to me that his profanity, at least, is squarely in the 21st Century.

11/23/2021 1:09 pm  #36

I suppose if you arent happy with coaches language then you should call Dave Harper and discuss 
what you heard if you are offended

11/23/2021 1:29 pm  #37

scduke wrote:

When I was a kid, terms like "s*ck" (modified for the sensitive but full word seen on this board before--especially after a loss) and the F-word were considered clearly vulgar and my parents did not allow the latter to be said in the home. Furthermore, I tell my kids that profanity is often a reflection of a deficient vocabulary as a way to discourage them from using it. However I myself have used profanity to make a point when more civilized measures have failed. I find it ironic that some say Coach Dambrot is behind the times. It seems to me that his profanity, at least, is squarely in the 21st Century.

For the record, my issue  is not with the language but with name calling of players and the particular names they were called.  And one name in particular?  that puts KD squarely BEHIND the times.  

11/23/2021 4:01 pm  #38

Won't comment on the cussing. It's almost universal in college sports whether you like it or not.
What  I will comment on is the game itself. I neither saw or heard it due to work duties. I did check on the score once or twice. Any win is a good one especially when you're 1-4 going into the game. It does appear that the team is slowly finding it's identity and playing more together on the court. Good stuff. I do believe that in every year that KD and staff have been hear, the team has achieved good results based on the talent level. This is probably the most talent we have seen here in quite a few years and I expect the same good  results as we move  forward. I have the patience to wait for those good results as long as I see what I perceive as improvement. I know that it's been a long haul for those of us who have rooted for this team for 4 or 5 decades. I started rooting for the Dukes in the early sixties so about 6 decades for me. Know I'm not alone. I totally believe that the overall trajectory of the program is good. I'm really looking forward to putting a winning streak together or winning 4 of 5, that kind of thing. This team just needs to stay the course plotted by the coaching staff to get the results we all want. I truly believe this and will support this coach, staff, and players fully. The results over the next couple of years  could well be worth waiting for. I've got too much invested emotionally to give up now! I know I'm not alone there either. Let's go Dukes!

Board footera